Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Worm Composting confusion

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

January 1, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8287468

Worm Composting confusion... please help. I just started a small worm compost bin. I have read sooooo many site. Some say add citrus fruit whole, some say only the rinds , some say none at all. Some sites say tomatoes are OK to add, some say in moderation, still some say none should be added because of the pH. Some site say add worms in the same day while others say not for a day or a week. Some say the worms can live on news paper alone and other stress a balanced diet. Some say no starches, other say it is ok to add in potato skins, some say you can add pasta and even pancakes. All I want is happy healthy worm. Anyone with any ideas?

Thumbnail by Rhapsody616
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8287956

I've never raised worms, but perhaps you would find the answers you need by reading a book on the subject. I seem to remember seeing an ad for one called Worms eat my garbage - or a similar title.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

January 2, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8288272

I have read many books and read many sites. They offer conflicting information. I do not want to kill my worms, that is why I am seeking clarity. Thanks
mraider3
Helena, MT

January 7, 2011
3:07 AM

Post #8296660

Again Rhapsody, go the vermiculture section and spend some time there. All you questions can be answered and if you still have more, there are lots of good people waiting to answer them.

m
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8297330

Here's the vermicomposting forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/wrigglers/all/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America