Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

January 2, 2011
1:05 AM

Post #8287684

Is there a out side method to keep your worms warm?

This message was edited Jan 2, 2011 7:23 PM
pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8295911

Move them to San Diego? Really, mine come back every Spring after some 15 deg. nights here in NC. (they reside in a pile of dirt and worm casting with some leaves on top - nothing fancy) If you don't have a garage you can buy a plastic storage bin and put some of the worms and media in there and keep it inside. Tear up & moisten some newspapers as described in the vermicomposting threads if you need more media to fill the tub. Without us knowing how cold you expect or what your worms are in now, it's a little hard to guess what is even needed.

Worms are pretty resilient in my experience if you don't drown, bake or totally dry them out.

Paul
mraider3
Helena, MT

January 7, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8296658

Rhaposdy, as our friend Paul says red worms are very resiliant, but are not gennerally thought of as garden worms. Since winters are probably not harsh in your area red worms, or red wigglers will probably remain well in leaf piles. As long as you leave a bottom layer of several inches where you are storing these leaves there will be an ample supply of worms to begin decomposing your next seasons leaves. As Paul mentions as well, indoor cultuing of red wigglers is quite easy, and a very good way of disposing of certain kitchen scraps. You might visit the vermiculture section here in DG for more information.

morgan
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8297335

The vermicomposting forum is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/wrigglers/all/
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

January 9, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8300052

Thank you for your advise. It is most usefully.
Happy Growing
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 19, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8319227

I live in frozen Montana and my red worms are totally active right after thaw. My compost is filled with them all but the deepest cold. They go below the frost layer and keep active on their own.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America