Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: New year, new paperwork UGH!

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 212, Views: 912
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8288201

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146760/#new

We started chatting about dealing with the inevitable and painful piles of paper. Some good ideas on the early January posts there.

I stuffed all my Xmas gift receipts into one pocket of my purse, handy for the returns. . I then keep them in an envelope in my dresser drawer for one year. I really like the suggestion of having a one year folder, that you dump the old when you get the new.

We keep more than one utility bill in order to track year to year usage but that is probably just being silly. Our bill does show "last year at this month' readings.

Lets have some more ideas!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8288211

Another good saying is place for everything and everything in its place. My places are usually catch alls--doesn't work, it just catches ALL.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8288223

Sally

I have many 'places' too... it does not work,which is why I need a system.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 2, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8288228

I have a file cabinet with a file for each store or company I buy from.
Also have 2 spreadsheets. One for checking accounts, keeps a running balance as you enter checks & deposits. I can then check the balances against the online bank statement
The other spreadsheet, each item bought is entered. I have 2 columns for what the item is for; example, farm, cabinet shop, house, so forth. These match the categories on income tax forms. All you need to do is hit sort & add up each category.
New year, new sheets.
The receipts are then stored for the year & start a fresh set of files.
Sure nice when an item goes on sale after your purchase of it. Dig out the receipt & go get a refund. Most stores will give it to you.

Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 2, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8288231

Must add; I post everything the first thing in the morning for the day after. You must do this to make it work!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8288236

Bernie, you're a model of organization! Thanks for checking in!

So many of our dreaded tasks are seen as taking too much time. But really doesn't it often end up just being shifted time? A few minutes a day VS an hour later.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8288305

I have been thinking of putting my shredded paper into the compost instead of recycling but my compost pile is huge already so I really don't need to add to that pile. I always keep my Christmas receipts till the next year but really after a month or so most of my purchases wouldn't go back to the store anyway. I have tax papers and old stuff from 20 years ago. Last year I asked Ric to find me a shredder and I did start on some of the old files but then I ended up busy with other things and never finished. Now would be a good time to start on that pile again.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8288336

Holly that is called procrastination and it is a friend of mine. I don't know how many times I say I'll do that tomarrow. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8288679

I just read an article in New Yorker mag that discussed procrastination. Why is it so prevalent, when we are almost guaranteed to suffer for it??????? I do it ALL THE TIME.

The influx of estate paperwork forced me to be proactive and set up files. Plenty of them, boldly labeled.

I have a small drawer full of nonsense in our family rolltop desk. I procrastinate on going thru it and making any decisions. Most is either mementos now, or pure recycle/trash. AHA, I need a memento place that I can sort into!! Maybe a bin for each kid and I can only keep what fits there.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8288900

I have a file cabinet, all receipts get immediately filed by month(insurance and real estate papers are in separate files)...then after new year transferred to a storage bin...after taxes are done paperwork gets shredded from the oldest which they say to hold on to 7 years worth(so the 8th year gets shredded)...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8288942

OH, MY! You are ALL talking about my life!!!! UGH!!!!

Procrastination is my middle name! One can only procrastinate until the deadline is in a day or two.
Then you have to buckle down and just DO IT!

Lets get a few facts straight here...ahemmm...
1--I HATE paperwork! With a passion! I don't want to deal with it---I don't want to NOT deal with it.
And then I HAVE TO deal with it! I do--and I feel so relieved. Then I think of the other 99 unattended
things that have to be done--and I am swimming down "De-Nile"...
Here I also have a deep, 2-drawer. almost empty file cabinet. Why is it empty? Because I never make time
to start filing in it. That's why!

2--I have small plastic totes all over the floor here in my computer room. Five to be exact--
They are scattered here and there--so I don't trip on them.

--One holds all things medicare and such.

--One holds all things that have to do with Home Depot programs, Dental and Vision records,
regular medical reports, past surgeries, Workman's Comp stuff, unemployment records, etc...

--One holds statements and relevant info from my financial broker--and all the monthly statements
on my investments...Years worth! A sort of progression of anything that has had to do with financial records.
I KNOW it is futile to hold on to monthly reports, and Larry (my $$ man) tells me that
beginning and end of year reports is all I really need to keep. One of these days...

--the 4th holds asst. records on medical, surgeries, and such. I think I actually started on this.
My goal is to have anything to do with a certain surgery in it's own folder. Seems I have about one a year!

--The last one holds OLD records of all our appliances and furniture purchases. You know THIS is old!

In my kitchen is another 2-drawer file cabinet. My TV sits on top of that. It holds all the banking stuff, all the assessments and property taxes, all the, utility bills paid, etc. basically, everything to do with NOW.

I will not embarrass you all, and myself, any further...There is more. I think about it all as "organized chaos".
Organized b/c I know where most things are--chaos--because ALL of it needs attending to--shredding--
getting rid of old stuff, etc...

When I was married (20 years ago now)--my Husband did ALL the paperwork. I did not have to worry about
paying any bills of filing any taxes...It was all done!
It was one of the most frightening things when we divorced...OH, MY God! I was now responsible for it all!!!!
I almost cried the first time I filled up my car with gas and realized that I had to pay for it myself!

Other than the filing--I do OK. I don't owe anyone money--all bills are paid--The house stuff is filed
(in the file cabinet in the kitchen with my TV on top) BUT!!!!! generally--I am NOT happy about my
lack of attending to all that needs attending to. YET! I AM an organized person...Such a dichotomy!!!

I seem to be "drowning" in unkempt and unfiled paperwork. Not a good feeling!

You know what/who is to blame???? DG! I spend too much of my available free time on here...
But--How could I ever live without you all??????

OH, receipts----I do not keep too many. Sometimes I keep receipts if I buy some plants at HD--as
they guarantee their live goods for a year.
Yes! There is a 30 day window if something goes on sale--and you paid full price. You will get the credit.
Just bring in the receipt.

I SO hope I will attend to some of this during the winter months when gardening is not an issue...
I also hope the same for all my zillion craft-projects that need to be finished.
BUT! That is a different Thread...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8288980

ah, Gita- I can just feel your pain! Here's a hug. You're not so different from loads of people out there. And you do better than many people too, even if you feel you're slacking.

In this house we really should buy a four drawer file cab and condense and re org our records. But that, DH is in control here. Can't toss w/o concensus. Consensus? sp? Does anyone else keep paystubs from 1972??? LOLOL

I have mostly quit clipping coupons as I used about one in a hundred.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8289177

Sally--Funny!
I DO keep old pay stubs. Can't tell you why--except, perhaps to see how things have progressed--or regressed...

Same for old tax returns. Old BG&E bills. WHY???? For comparison???? WHY?

Things are--what they are. NOW! Why save things that used to be--and will never be again?

All a rhetorical question...Thanks for the hug! How I dream of a stae of mind in my life when everything
that I once started, would actually approach the "done" status.
I KNOW I will take all this to my grave. Then--my daughters will have to discard all I should have attended to
while I was alive and procrastinating...

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8289981

Was multi-tasking last nite..watching a PBS special on the Bald Eagle and catching up on New Years posts here and on Facebook.

FB friend writes "Sometimes the best way to get from a to b is a leap of faith"

I watch the fledgling eaglets testing their wings in prep for their first flight and one nick named 'under dog' takes off and the photographer follows his first flight soaring into the sky on an updraft, maneuvering through tree tops and then skimming along the broad expanse of water to land on a log very awkwardly and almost fall off..

The narrator says something like ' the flights can be beautiful but the landings can be difficult for a while until the young eagle learns how it is done.'

For all of us venturing forth (or procrastinating doing so or taking our time getting in) to this 2011 newness Happy Landings. Judy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8290189

Gita ... I like the idea of just waiting and letting the kids take care of clearing out. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8290441

LOL!

coleup- that's probably a big part of procrastinating- Fear of failure, or of wasted effort or the effort to learn a new way. Beautiful description of the eagle's flight and landing!

Gita- I'm guilty of some of that. Not pay stubs, tho. But there's the temptation of keeping these tidbits of info. If you have tax returns you have your pay record for those years.

When Dad moved he gave me a box of his treasured family photos and lots of little kid things he had saved. Being 90, and having to move, he dealt with the question of what to leave for us of personal nature at that point.

the RESULT-- if we go for it. Less stuff around! Less stuff to clean around and under. I have a basket in the kitchen of undecided bits of paper. Six month old coupons. WHY??? Cuz I mentally dedicated a basket to 'kitchen related paper bits that I am not sure I'll need but might want" So my basket is holding exactly what it should. Now if I mentally reassign this basket...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8290480

What I keep wondering is in this day and age of electronics, how much information regarding old bills, etc are kept by the credit card companies, insurance companies, etc. Is some of this paper necessary? I am starting to think along a different line in that perhaps what I need to keep in my filing cabinet is a copy of my medical records, my pets medical records and perhaps the odd file for things like Lowes that will take back a dead plant if it has not come back the following year. How much of this is necessary?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8290484

Of course you need your info, computers can always crash and lose memory you need proof for yourself.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8290491

Jen

I can access this information every time I go into these accounts. All I need are my passwords. This is why I am wondering - too often I am seeing 'do you want to turn off paper statements'.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8290527

I've seen too many instances of discrepencies and if you don't have a hard copy for proof you're screwed. So either keep receipts or statements(don't need both) after comparing them and paying the bill.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8290536

Jen

You are probably right. All I can think of though is some poor tree died for it...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8290635

Carolyn--
But responsible tree harvesters will plant a new tree in place of the ones they cut down...

G.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8290644

I have a large heavy duty file cabinet came out of an office when they were replacing with new. I do have some filing in it but there is more that hasn't been filed than has and most of what I have should really be shredded. Oh yes I know all about procrastination. 30 years ago a friend gave me a poster to hang on the wall that read. It wasn't raining when Noah started building the ark. LOL
I think that my magazines and catalog piles are a huge problem I hate to toss them and always think I will look at them again .

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8290660

Holly,,

One of the Posters I will always remember was in some office's hallway...

It was a simple, woodsy picture of a a small plant-- with a single bloom-- underneath a heavy cover of
ferns and growth in a shady, woodsy spot.

The caption was: "Bloom Where You are Planted"....

That poster has always held a huge, deep understanding of life in my mind...

VERY inspirational!

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8290697

One thing I keep is paid off loan papers. My DIL had some collection agency contact her about and old CC bill that had been paid off years before. There had been a dispute at the time she paid it off but it was settled and the balance agreed upon paid in full. Then years later she started getting calls about it from a Collection Agency. She had a mess to deal with but she did have the old paper work even with those she had an argument. The Collection Agency. said she owed the money and didn't want to look at the paperwork and the CC Co said no she was paid and the acct settled. Finally she just told the CA that she wasn't sending them any $$ and if they put anything on her Credit Rating she would dispute it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8290710

Gita, That is lovely and you are right. Your life is what you make of it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8291321

I have a three subject notebook (green) . The middle section is for bill paying. one page for each month. At the top of the page I list the beginning balances in each of my checking and savings accounts and projected income for the month.

Along the left hand column I list all accounts I pay on regularly (mort., loans, credit accounts, auto insurance/regist/etc and utilities in the order they must be paid. I pay almost everything via telephone. on the first or the 15th. I have a separate sheet protcted page with all account numbers and phone numbers for each.

As I phone in each payment, I record acct balance and payment made and date and payment confirmation number. Since I pay from my checking account, usually within two days, each payment posts to my bank which I also access via phone. Once it posts, I place a check mark next to item to indicate paid and posted.

Toward the right hand side I keep a running record of my main checking account. I rarely write checks or open statements. I use my bank card tied to my checking account to pay expenses through out the month for food, gas, etc which are itemized for me on my monthly bank statements if I care to budget more closely.

I really like having everything in one place for me and not having to fret about a "misplaced" or "missing " bill statement. I also enjoy not worrying whether my payment has gotten there on time... Less stress, happier me!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8291334

Oh, a word to any of you who are, or think you might be the adult version of ADD like I am, many of the "get organized" hints, tips, etc that work for others do not work for us ADD ers!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2011
12:09 AM

Post #8291409

Dang,that sounds very organized to me.
Our library has books on adult ADD coping. I feel sure I could benefit from reading them.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8291491

Most of my monthly bills are set on automatic payments. No fee for these. I have a list of what will be drawn from my acct and the date it will come out and I check it off the list as it is withdrawn. My problem is that the bills that aren't on auto sometimes don't get paid in a timely manner. I have issues with mail quite often it piles up in the desk before I really look at it. I have a roll top so it is easy to put mail in there to look at later, that's much much later. You know out of sight out of mind. So now I have been trying to process the mail everyday when it comes into the house. Right into recycle or shredded only bills or important papers make it to the desk and things that go into the files put in one cubby and bills into another.
WOW just looked out the windows and we have a beautiful sunrise out there.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8291581

Thats one of the tips I've read- Sort mail right away! Our sorting takes place in the kitchen, close to the door we come in. The recycle bin and shredder are handy! Some days its all junk and I have to remember that I did in fact retrieve and sort OK, it did NOT get lost in my shuffle.

I had a friend advise once, re school papers but applies to many other things. Do it as soon as you get it. Less chance of forgetting. Now that we get virtually zero interest on any regular bank money, there is no interest gained by waiting an extra couple weeks. Oh for the good old days...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8291909

Sounds like a 'good idea' to do it as soon as you get it...but for this ADDer this one doesn't work so well because as they say (Canterbury Tales) "There's many a slip twixt cup and lip"

Tipical day illustration:

I arrive home, park car in drive, put key in special hiding place in car, gather from car what is to go inside, get out of car and place what is to go inside on front drivers seat, leave car door open (There is a spre key hidden on outside of car and a drawer in house marked 'keys' containing two spares to each vehicle. If I must lock car I place key in my right hand pants pocket Drivers license , bank card and some cash is in left pocket)

I walk to mail box out front and retrieve mail. Junk mail goes directly in to recycle bin next to mail box , its permanent location so I never 'forget' to put out the trash for trash days.. With mail in hand I return to car, gather stuff from front seat, close the door and proceed to house., where I enter through kitchen door.

So far so good. Now, I have mail in one hand and other items in the other. If I put down the other items to deal with bills received, I run the risk of being " easily distracted" and my favorite icecream melting or my cats getting into the bag with my hot rotisserie chicken . (If my phone rings, I can now just ignor that as most callers now know that I let all of my calls go to message which I screen and answer on my time) If I put the mail in its 'place for mail du jour, it is 'out of sight, out of mind' and may not surface for dealing with in a timely way, .as it visually falls off my radar screen. If I do not put it in its place but merely leave it on the counter for a minute while I put icecream in freezer, it can literally "walk off" to some unbenouced to me location if I take my eyes (focus) off of it.

If I am able to pay a bill when I get it, having ignorred or eliminated other 'priorities' (no icecream lol) I must now rely on producing my check book, a pen, and a stamp.and a place for said PAID bill. Say all this goes well (50/50 chance), I now have a stamped envelope in my han, which if I do not take to the mail box immediately, runs the same risk of distracted disappearance as incoming did. I have found outgoing mail in the pockets of my raincoat where they were put to keep them dry for the walk out to the box several weeks later when it rained again because on my way to the box I passed my car and noticed that my door ajar light was on and after figuring out which door was not fully closed, I simply forgot about the mail! A ripe tomatoe or a bird song could provide the same 'distraction' Argh

I'd do automatic bill pay if I trusted any one to have access to my accounts on online pay for secuirty issues... Glad telephone pay works for me.

Interesting that paying off my debts has little meaning for me than having fewer bills to pay (read ways and opportunity to mess up or shoot myself in the foot, etc) . Fewer bills equal more success, less failure, not a better credit score, a secondary gain..

Judy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8292476

I always have good intentions and 'start' organizing, which lasts a few months, then it's back to the piles again or I'll do it later pile. I do put really important papers like, mortgage, insurance, etc., in the filing cabinet drawer right away.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8293185

That was an interesting and true account of how a simple daily task really works. Organization as the pros would have it seems to rely on us having one thing to do in any given, ample, time period. Life doesn't seem to work that way.

We personally/this house, have only a few designated places for incoming mail, and a place for checkbook, stamps and labels for outgoing mail/ bills, and a visible place for mail "to be sent", conveneintly and obvious when going out. This partly relies on one of us who compulsively asks about the days mail if not found immediately.

Don't we have to ask ourselves: if its not 'important' then why am I holding it? I am straying from paperwork. I have a hose nozzle for the dog. The neighbor sometimes acquires odds and ends like plant pots and offers them to me. He loves the dog and offered me a special doohickey which you can put on the hose end, leave the hose on, and the dog licks and wobbles this thing and water will leak out for her. Yesterday I found it had lingered in my kitchen counter area for months, I never committed to putting it on this summer. Not sure I want to use it or need to, yet it was thoughtful of him to give it to us.
Hence the big category of stuff that too 'valuable' to dispose of but needs a place to live in the house. Paper included, greeting cards, coupons, old comic strips, I used to even have magazine articles I liked ( a few but still) and still have those several Fine Gardening I just can't bear to toss! I got better when I decided that I can always find something interesting or funny i I want to and don't need to save those entertainment items.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8293356

I get the "Geographic"---Can NEVER toos one of those! Too precious!
There are piles of these all over the house...

Same for the Martha Stewart magazine. And "TIME". I love them!
The only place I can make time to look at it is to bring them to work.
I have started cutting things out from the MSM-- that i want to keep.
Recipes...Craft ideas...etc..
Not too many calls coming in! Place looks dead!
As right now--I am at work--and catching up on DG.

I made a so-so new years resolution that I will take ONE area
at a time and see if I can clean it and bring some order to it.
Toos a few things and such...

Yeah, right! But--at least it would be more doable than thinking
I have to clean the whole house--which I seldom do...

What's that saying??? The road to ??? is paved with good intentions...

Gita
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8293403

Yea! 4 more seed/ garden catalogs to add to the pile.
I have saved magazines too Taste of Home, Better Homes and Gardens (recipes) Garden Gate are just a few of the titles. I stopped all subscriptions quite a few years ago. Sometimes I do pull out a few random issues from the pile and look through them.
I do visit a lot of cooking sites on the web and print out recipes, creating another pile of papers and the need to add to my loose leaf recipe books.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8293409

As I typed a response and realized--I was procrastinating on housecleaning which is my primary goal for this morning.
I used to save crafts ideas and then ten years later they looked pretty dated to me.

Paper recycling has helped me see value in tossing paper.

I'll be back later. after some cleaning.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8293681

Gita, Ric takes some of the old mags to the VA Hosp when he goes there. That would be a great place for your old "Geographic" You are right they are so hard to give up but I think how interesting they are and they would be so enjoyed by the guys at the VA Hosp. I'm not sure how close you are to a VA Hosp. Going to try and do something about the junk mail I've been getting. I think I remember you could go on line and get your address removed from mailing lists. Going to see if I can find that.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8293767

You know what? One can buy "Geographics" in a Thrift Shop for 25 cents.

I have a non stop collection from 1963-1993.
93 is when my divorce reared it's head and I was so scared
having to pay for everything myself...so I cancelled my subscription.

I started it up again a few years later...not sure when.

last year I also cancelled my "TIME" mag. but they kept hounding me
and hounding me and then made an offer I couldn't refuse.
$15 for a full year's subscription--these come out weekly...

I just thin about all the millions of $$ all these organizations spend
pestering people with all kinds of mailings...begging them to subscribe, etc.

Must be worth it..as im my case with "TIME"...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8294697

I need to know how to get charities to stop asking my mom for money. I told the post office when she died and they had me do a change of address, and now I get the charities letters here. I'm going to try putting deceased on the envelope and back in the mailbox. Hm, I should look for what Holly mentioned.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8294923

Sorry to say Sally that you will find them popping up even years later. Every once in a while I will get some junk mail addressed to Deb or Jamie, they lived here for about a year when they were getting their land ready (well, septic, ect). That was 6 years ago.
I think writing deceased on the envelope and sending it back is a good idea. I'm sure that it is pretty upsetting getting mail like that in her name.
I did go and look for that junk mail stop list but I didn't do more than read. There were a couple that you paid for, then there were several that were free. The one to stop prescreened CC offers asked for your Name, Address, B/D,and SS# made me a bit leery but I read that you didn't need to provide either the B/D or the SS# they were optional. Then there was one for magazines & catalogs which could interfere with getting seed catalogs unless you specifically requested them. So in the end I decided to just let the junk mail come.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8294970

Thanks for the info.
I look at it this way- the junk mail flow helps subsidize the rest of our mail.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8295111

Sally, I hate to say it but you will be getting that mail for a while, writing the word Deceased may not help.They might think you will send $ in Memoriam. We got mail for year for my MIL after her passing, she would send a few bucks to anyone looking for donations.
I also look at junk mail sending is keeping the post office in business. Wait till you get to retirement age, I think we get something from ARP at least once a week, and from Insurance companies trying to get you to change for a better rate and usually less coverage, but they don't tell you that.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8295166

Oh well. thanks for letting me know. Mailing lists never die! Mom got junk for Dad after 30 years divorced.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8295835

Sally

Earlier this year--wayyy earlier---I sent a donation of $15 to the National Wildlife Federation
as they were also going to send me this neat canvas shoulder bag--and I DO care about animals--
so I sent off my donation.

Well! In NO time at all--I had every charity sending me junk mail----Incessantly!
I was so angry at National Wildlife because I felt that they had sold my address to other charities.
WELL! That is exactly what happens! It is a business on it's own!

All the calendars and the address labels and stickers came pouring in! Endlessly!
I have enough address labels--HONESTLY--to last two more of my lifetimes.
I keep all the 'sends"--feeling guilty doing so--as I do not contribute--but--I did NOT ask
for any of the stuff they are sending me!
I hope they would realize that once they send a few things--and get no donation--they would
stop all the expense of continuing sending out all these pleas for support. Must run in the millions!

I just read on a forward how much the CEO's of these Non-Profit Organizations get paid...
It is a crime--I tell you! Like millions!

Now i am, again, on everyone's S--t list...I have NO idea how to stop this either.

Another example------
I recently decided to, finally, sign up for Face Book--because someone I knew--right here--
wanted me to be their "friend"...I am such a sucker!!!!

Now--every week I get lists of people that "want to be my friend"...Barf!
One of them, an old friend, died this past year...He still wants to be my friend?????

This made me realize that these individuals are NOT the ones posting this--it is an automated
process. I have had invites from people I have not seen in 35 years...but they want to be my friend!
I have people from Latvia doing the same---THEY want to be my friend!

My daughter in Seattle said she would get me unsigned--but she also said---
"Do you realize that so and so has sent you an invite? Are you sure you want to exit this???

YES!!! I want to get back to just normal e-mails---NOT seeing who wants to be my friend...

HELP!!!!!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8295877

Gita, thanks for confirming one more reason I do not want to get envolved with Facebook or anyother such sites. DG and Cubits are enough for me.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8296049

I just can't get the hang of facebook and really don't want to. I only joined because a friend wanted me to see some of her pictures. Then I started getting all kinds of friend invites. I will say that it is a great way to share pic and stay in touch but it is such a trap. You are right Gita you get invites from old friends that you might like to hear from but that just sucks you farther in. I don't have the time to visit another internet group either. Having a hard time keeping up now. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8296055

YUP--Holly!

Daves Garden is enough for me to spend all my free time on...

I do not wish to get "hooked" on any other site. One is enough!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8296108

Economics

To stay in the black, have more coming in than going out.

Home economics

To stay clutter free have more going out than coming in, or at least equal.

Saving for a rainy day does not work so well with "things"

Some people have enough toilet paper in their garages to last a year and some of those have empty fridges, cupboards and freezers. Priorities? Security? Comfort level?

For me, the effort to decrease the amount of junk mail, e-mail, and undisciplined purchasing before it comes in to my house, is well worth it, and easier than the energy I must expend to (properly) dispose of same.

Wonder how long we can continue to delete to cyberspace before it too is filled to overflowing?

Judy

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8296147

Funny how all the gardening type ads keep following me around the internet since I joined DG.

Consumers make the world go round but I'd like to be valued for something more than my ability (necessity) to consume.

Use it up, wear it out
Make it do, or do without.

The US, with a debt to income ratio of 42 per cent could not get a loan to buy a house or a car. Debt is not an asset. Funny economics again

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8296175

Haaa..Haaa... Judy!

Stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond and spent about $50 there---just because so much of X-mas
stuff was now 50% and 75% off...

Bought 3 lg. jars of Yankee Candles for 50% off--plus my 20% off coupon on each.
DID YOU KNOW THESE COUPONS NEVER EXPIRE????? You can use any of them
till the cows come home! So many people throw them out--as they DO have an expiration date on them.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! They are good forever!!!! Even the $5 off ones...

My favorite stop there is the "As Is" section...I am a bargain shopper--as you may know by now.
I also buy things that I do not need or can live without just b/c they are reduced...
Always think that it will be a nice goft to someone---someday...:o(

That is my sickness...And that is why all the nooks and crannies in my house are full of stuff...

G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8296183

Gita, Thanks for your response to my tongue in cheek posts. I feel less weird now!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8296189

Lets start a club. Us weird ones should hang together--for support!

All for one--and one for all...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8296475

OK, I'll join.

I've been wondering about clutter and organization, paper work, routines, storage etc, and upon reflection, I housekeep (for lack of a better term) much the same way as I garden! And I like many of the same things about gardening as I do about homemaking...

Any one else notice this?

Take "piles" for instance. Cute when they first appear, adding some dimension to flat surfaces, alittle color, flourish, filler to shelves and rounding out corners and sharp edges, flowing into a lived in casual , eclectic array, visually rich and diverse.

Yet, like thugs, they sprout up everywhere, reseeding, regrowing from the tinest remnant left in place. Others quickly outgrow their space or flop over well before blooming into the possibilities they reprsented. Others never find a permanent place and are constantly shifted around or damaged in the process. Many take far more fuss and tending than suits us or when the newness wears off are boring.Maybe some can be swapped, or given away... Maybe some can be divided, or repotted, or cuttings taken and the mother pile discarded (composted).

What gardening lessons can we apply to our overgrown, self multiplying piles and paper work?

Uggh...to be continued Judy(One of the weird)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8296806

Judy, your creatively written thoughts on this subject are keeping it interesting.

At least, we are all of a stage in life where we have figured out how to reasonably cope with important paperwork. If not we'd have lost mortgages, had cars repo'ed or other such calamities.
Its the less important papers that reseed all over. I can't bear to completely cancel the newspaper but with it comes coupons that I rarely use these days. Some junk mail coupons too, those envelopesful of paper slips. And the store ads. I never look atthem anymore, any of it.
i may have said this before but for me, I made a decision a few years ago that "who'sin charge here, me or the paper/ junk?" So i gives me the extra bit of gumption I sometimes need to stand up to the paper/junk.
Plus I have people I live with who sometimes are affected by the junk- thats an incentive to maintain that I might not otherwise have.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8296907

Never look at newspaper coupons. Blasphemy
Ric is the king of coupon clipping last month he bought 2 bags of shrimp for $6 ea and got $12 off our gas. Really they gave him the shrimp. He mixes coupons with sale days and BOGOs and sometimes saves so much that the cashier has to get a manager to come and sign off on the sale. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8296927

Pat on the back there!! Way to go!! (Shrimp is pretty pricey!)
But I don't have the time to organize like that. It does take time to assemble those deals and go get them.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8296968

That is part of why he shops and I don't. I don't think I could put it all together quite like he does. Takes him about an hour and half going thru the papers, clipping and organizing. Not to mention the store deals he spends a long time in the store figuring out what is the best buy that week. I'm a grab and go kind of person.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8297376

Judy---Your eloquence surpasses anything any of us could have written.
You're a Poet---and don't know it!

Coupons? I save them too--even at work--I have been maintaining a lg. coupon sorter
for all to use as they need. I regularly remove the outdated ones and put in all the new ones
from the Sunday paper...it IS a labor of love...Everything in it is by categories...

Bout 3 months ago--my Coupon Saver (an old check sorter by month, folder).disappeared.
OK! Time goes by--and it just never showed up. Sometimes people take it home to have more
time to look through all the coupons--sometimes, if we have some food related event--they clean off
all the tables and the long counter top along the wall and my "Saver" gets stashed--somewhere.
Looked everywhere--GONE! Fussed inside--but after over a month gave up getting all
bent out of shape about some immature, rude associate pulling a prank on us all.
The funny thing was that--I had given up obsessing about what may have happened to it-
but now all kinds of other women that work at the HD started getting upset as well.
I even made a sign that hung in the break room for a month asking whoever had done anything
with it or whoever may know of it'd whereabouts, to please put it back.

Two months later--someone found it in an unused locker. Now--this is proof that immature, silly,
rude people exist--and no one still knows who the guilty party was.
Worst--I took personal offense about this being done. I see it as a personal act against ME.

Gita
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8297436

Pardon me for interrupting the chat:

I'd like to get some opinions on which corn is best to grow in New Jersey
soil zone 7b. We'd like to try growing some this year but not sure
which do best.
Do you need to grow more than one variety or stick to one so there's
no cross pollination?
Open for all suggestions and opinions - know people here have plenty,

thanks,
Cris

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8297491

Hi Cris!
I don't think anyone here minds the interruption. but you may not get many responses right here, kind of buried. Why don't you go ahead and do a new thread in the Mid Atlantic Forum and then your title will get more viewers?
I don't grow corn cuz it takes too much space..
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8297901

Sally,
Thanks for the response. I may just do that. We do have a bit of space
& just thought we'd give corn a try despite the herd of deer.

We didn't get much snow this time around so not as buried as some.
Good luck shoveling out.

Cris
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8298622

Cris, I saw your post and thought it is time to start our MA veggie garden thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1148349/
Come on over !

Chris
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 10, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8301928

Got a lot of insight from reading this thread. Mostly learned that I am not alone in my cluttered life style. For several months now I have been in a clean and de-clutter mood. Most of my online time is devoted to chatting with others who are concerned about the same things as myself. There is a Clean and Clutter Free forum here on Dave's and that is where I spend most of my time, though I still love everyone from MAG.

I find that I am more apt to actually get something done if I have a place to talk about it. There are several of us on the clutter forum who report in usually daily as to things we have done that day. I think of the wasted money I have spent on books and others types of supplies supposedly to get better control of my surroundings and belongings. Most of the books have never been opened. I am making some very slow progress in getting things in better order here.

So many of you mentioned things that I was involved in last week. At Christmas time I became truly aware of just how disorganized I was. I was looking for a special Christmas card to send someone and couldn't find anything suitable and decided I needed to address the condition of my greeting card collection. I sat down with all the cards one night last week and realized that it was going to take longer than I thought to organize every thing so I could easily access what I wanted. It took about three evenings, but now at least one of my desks is straightened and workable. I still have the desk where my computer sits to tend to but need a break in between.

Thanks for starting this topic Sally. I appreciate everyone sharing their shames as well as their successes in having workable systems. Will be interesting to hear more.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8301977

Way to go Ruby, getting those cards organized! What a job it must have been. THat reminds me, the dregs of my Xmas card supply are still on my bedroom floor. This year I used up the odds and ends and have not yet bought any new on clearance ones.
I'm still left with four bins of unpacked Xmas decor. We have not taken our tree down yet. Last year I was dumbfounded at the amount of dropped needles. I did get my outside decor in and one box packed to go under the steps.
I also spent a couple hrs yesterday reorganizing in the basement and weeding out some kids toys for a donation truck today. Yay. I freed up a large sturdy bin but could l not think of something that needed it. I also freed some matching size stacking bins that I added to the DH stack, Painting supplies and Old Electronics having been overflowing their bins.

We're straying from paper but I don't care. The same sort of principles apply. Things you leave around because you don't want to FORGET them or they're 'too good' to pass along. Yet you also don't like the time or effort to put some order to them.

One problem--not knowing how much of any one thing you are likely to accumulate, so your collection outgrows an original "place" thus a second "place"...on and on... thats how my plant and garden stuff is 'stored' -- NOT.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8302080

I must confess we still have stink bugs and some are in my bedroom. The corner of the bed room became a dumping ground last fall. Coming home from trips all my summer clothes are stacked on a chair, the dive bag is on the floor and there are empty clothing boxes piled up from Christmas. So I'm laying in bed and I see a hated SB climbing on my curtains, I go over and pick it off and notice another on the window. When I move the curtains there are a ton of them in the folds. Ric brings up the vac to suck them all off. I start moving things out of the corner so he can get back there. He almost falls over the piles on the floor and looks at me and says "Holly this is ridiculous". He is right and it is all my mess can't blame anyone else no kids or hubby to blame this one on. Will clean it up when I'm feeling a bit better maybe by March. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8302199

Sally--

You have described this "affliction" to a "T"...You understand, intellectually, what is
behind this cluttering syndrome. I totally agree with you.

As Dr. Phil would say--"You can't change what you don't acknowledge!"

We ARE acknowledging it--aren't we? So--how come it is next to impossible to change????

Some of you are already working on it...I have yet to begin...Always something else to do first...
something more "important"...
And--soon all the Seed Swap thing will be occupying my free time...UGH!

Gita...;o(

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8302217

Holly--
We cross-posted...

I feel for you! It must be this feeling of total hopelessness as you see the piles of stuff.

Hey! I have yet to put away in a small, spare closet all my summer clothes.
They are laying on both beds in my guest bedroom as well as on the rocking chair in there.

I still need to look at all the winter clothes I have not taken out in this closet and see what I
want to keep or give away.
Can't put the summer ones in there--if I don't take out the winter ones first.
There are also lots of slacks and jeans in there "waiting" for me to lose about 15 lbs--
which will never happen. Maybe 5 lbs. when garden season comes again...

We are all "sisters" in this matter, aren't we?

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8303087

A MEN Sisters!
Acknowledge is first but--hey Gita, you don't have to please anybody but yourself in how your house looks. So why do boring things when anything else will be more fun. only if you will really ENJOY the look of clutter free spare room will it pay off.

So much paperwork we save and never have to look at. Therefore, we never have the experience of "now I need that and can lay my hands right on it" THerfore, we don't want to spend time organizing it.

Hey- DO NOT ever throw out the record of paying off major things. I just had the title Co. ask me about Moms ground rent, paid off FIFTY YEARS ago. I'm pretty sure I saw that receipt in with the deed. Also I read a story about how collection agencies work. Sometimes people pay one collection agency and then the debt gets wrongfully sold to another agency.

I can possibly expound all night on the logic of being disorganized...

I also have a stinkbug fall out of someplace about 1x per day.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8303130

Actually didn't seem so bad pushed back into the corner and my room is pretty big but once it was all pulled out to get access to the window it looked a lot worse. Once I'm feeling better I will finish up the cabinet I have been painting and then the bedroom.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8303311

Sally--

I KNOW I don't have to please anyone else but myself---but I still need to make peace
with my consciousness. I don't like the way I live! I don't like that IF anyone were to come over---
I would go into a frenzy to try to clean everything up. All that stressing out...

The bathroom has to get cleaned--
All horizontal surfaces have to be de-cluttered, dusting is a forever lost cause!
By now--I could write the whole Declaration of Independence in the dust of my shelves...

I could make my home a B&B for spiders and webs. I could gather enough Dust Bunnies to insulate
my whole attic...You get the picture???

I don't want to talk about this any more! Makes me feel VERY inferior...I am NOT Martha Stewart...
Wondering what her house actually looks like--in the everyday scenario?????

Hope I can do better in the New Year!

Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8303622

#1 thing start small. Don't look at everything all at once concentrate on one area first, say the desk or the counter or the top of your dresser...after that one accomplishment you'll feel great and want to move on to the next...IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8305535

Jen---

That is exactly what--in my mind--I want to do. One area at a time...
So far--I haven't yet found the starting point...

I KNOW other things will be rearing their heads...such as Tax papers,
getting my seeds ready, printing out all the labels to put in my seed baggies, etc...

I go through this every year...It is so hard when there is no spouse to do
some of the things that have to be done. Everything falls on MY shoulders...

I just seem to want to veg more and more...pushing 74 will do it...

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8305929

Just a couple of thoughts.

Starting points--where to begin...

Some times I seek the ideal place, way , time to start my ughh tasks. I entertain my perfectionistic illusion that if I find that way, time, place THEN I will succeed. My clutter is not like a horribly tangled mass of yarnthat if I can find one end, I can continue working through the knots and tangles to the other end.

Set a timer for 10, 15, or 20 minutes and furiously declutter or bring order to a pile of chaos. Maybe the bathroom as it is usually the least complicted spaces in our house. STOP when the timer goes off. This will leave me wanting to do more (motivation for next time) and I will see the difference several times a day that a short effort can make..

Or , take a container like a plastic milk crate, put on some lively music, and cruise tou house until the crate is full with items to be recycled, or items to go to goodwill

Or, fill one garbage bag with clothing to drop off at a Planet Aid box.
Short sweet simple productive

Recently, I had to totally clear out several rooms in my house so that they could be painted and the the floors refinished. Gee it was wonderful to have all that empty space/blank canvass!

Empty a cupboard, drawer, shelf and leave it that way!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

Do the next right thing (and wear a smile and a silly hat while doing it!)

A well-lived life is messy and a work in progress...just like a garden.

Love you all. (Isn't this snow lovely? So crystaline and sparkly.)

Judy

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8306084

Some very good tips coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8306127

Good thoughts!
It is a lovely snow. Y'all have to see Jen's pictures of fat star shaped snow.

Put a box in the basement labeled DONATION. Then there is always a destination for occasional things when you think I should give this away, you won't just set it down somewhere and forget.

The other side of no partner--no one ELSE in your space with more stuff, and more expectations. "Somebody" i know has saved a bathroom countertop, and a chandelier (dated out of style of course), from a friend's house, and a large non cable TV...I have half a mind to swipe that chandelier, take some glass out, spray paint it, make a floor and turn it into a bird feeder.

Saw a woman on TV who had 100 prs of shoes and slippers...WHY???
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8306285

Love that idea for the out of style chandelier. Ric and I kinda prod each other a bit to get things done and having someone to help is nice. But he is a real collector of stuff so there are pro's and con's going both ways.
I have years and years of old check slips. My checks are the type that make a copy when you write them so you have a book of these check copies when you are finished. I don't want to throw them out and since they are all attached at the top they would be a pain to shread. So I moved them down near the wood/coal stove and am burning them a few at a time. Ric will whine if I fill up the stove with too much paper.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 12, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8306625

You ladies just don't know how thrilled I was to open this thread this morning and hear the confessions of clutter. I was away from Dave's Garden for a while, hanging out mainly at Facebook which for now has been visited quite infrequently. I came back about the time of Becky's swap in June.

Wasn't too very active until a few months ago when I began accessing the Clean and Clutter Free forum here. I now look forward each morning to checking in and seeing what the other active folks are doing there. I have found a source of inspiration and support there and have slowly over the past months been de-cluttering this small place that we call home. It is definitely the major theme going on in my life at the moment. It has begun rubbing off on my family members which is a great thing.

I must have missed the MAG talk of the dreaded stink bug. I know that our county had an epidemic during late summer and it was the head line in all the local papers for some weeks. It even made its way to Facebook when my friends who live in another area of the county brought up the onslought she encountered upon returning home from work one day to a front door filled with hundreds of the boogers.

I haven't shared in the clutter forum that one of the reasons for a very thorough cleaning of my place a while back was due to this culprit. I had my cleaning lady come a few extra days and we took everything off the walls, checked every nook and cranny and ridded the house of the ones that had made it inside in hopes of spending a nice warm and cozy winter here. I had different thoughts.

We too are finding at least one a day too though. Thankfully, some of them are dead bugs. Each time I find one, John comments that there will be more to come. I know, I just could not tolerate knowing that a few times when Frances was cleaning, one particular large mirror I have sitting near the french doors leading out back where the dogs go in and out a dozen times a day, were hoards of the dreaded SB!!!! For those of you who care to know, check behind frames on the walls because at least here in Albemarle County, behind those same frames seems to be a favorite hang out of these dang bugs.

Another tip regarding these invaders, it seems that the live ones I am continuing to find are near the places where I have a grouping of house plants. Check out those places too.

Anyway, thanks for the confessions today. Once again, I don't feel so alone in my shame. hahaha Here is hoping that those of us who are finding our over abundance of goods will find a starting place and begin the eating of the elephant, one bite at a time. Thanks so much to Jen and Coleup for the tips and encouragement. I for one am open to hearing any and all hints and tips on helping to change my lifestyle of one of excess to one of just the right amount. Thanks all.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8307377

Judy--

Thank you again for your insight and encouragement...

My most, forever, pressing ?Must Do" is to make time somehow to put out one of my Craft Projrcts
on the DR table to hack away on until all the supplies have been used up.
Now--multiply that by about 25.

As I get older--mortality gets closer and closer...I want to finish as much of all these projects as I can-
-as no one else will do them--or know how to do them. Mine are not simple little nothings projects...they are
creative and original.
All the supplies are in plastic boxes--and I know where everything is. I AM organized...
that is why I live amid "organized chaos"...

Here's one of my favorites. These are made from gloves stretched over the edge of a small bowl.
This is called--"Puppies/Kittens in a basket.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8307380

See the glove?

Making one of these can take 2-3 hours...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8307390

I have a large tote-full of my garden's potpourri. I add more every year.
The "project" is to buy nice lace curtains in a Thrift Shop,cut them up in squares,
fill them with a big hand-full of potpourri--gather it all up, tie it off with 2 colors of
Spool Ribbon, and the seal the bow with a glue gun and a small silk flower of some kind.

To gift these--I infuse them with potpourri oil. Voila! A lace sachet with my garden of years in it!

One ball--maybe 15 minutes work. NOT counting the cutting up of the lace and the ribbons.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8307399

These were hard--as I had NO directions...Had to figure it out by myself.
Love these. though...

"Pilgrim and Indian Maiden"

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8307417

Last one I will post--there are many, many more...

Here's my Thanksgiving Turkey--made with a lg. pine cone for a body and real, wild
Turkey feathers for the tail. Wings and other things----just from my resourcefulness...

The head was the hardest---finally I decided to paint a smaller pine cone off-white.
use a twice folded beige pipe-cleaner for a neck, and a thick fun foam for the beak.
The red "whatever-it-is-called" on the chest was a small strip of red fleece--
and when I stretched it--it curled up. Voila! Done!

Now--do you get the idea of the extent my "craft projects" take?

End of bragging show...How I would love to have ALL my projects done.

Maybe if everything was clean and straight in my house--I would not be struggling
with my conscience of :must-do's" every minute of the day.

Sitting down to do a craft project--is SOOO calming to me. Nice music on...Hmmm...

Except-- as soon as I want to do something I really enjoy--the "shoula--coulda--woulda"
messages start creeping into my head...then the guilt...then the frustration...

It feels so good to tell you all this! We ARE legions!

Hugs--Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8307623

I think we're getting somewhere. What if, Gita , you clean for fifteen minutes to earn a half hour of craft time?
after all, all self discipline is when we make our own rules and consequences. I oughta know- I struggle with it all the time. I try to clean something before I sit down to the computer...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8307741

LOVE your puppies and kitties in the baskets
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8307776

Heard an interview with the builder of the Cathedral of Junk in Austin, TX on NPR this weekend. Some of what drives him echoes through our conversations here. We all have and are works in progress perhaps just on a smaller scale

Just google or here's a link http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7816

Sally, some of the images are like way scaled up versions of your chandelier bird feeder!

Gita, as I read your post above about crafting and your desire to complete some of the multitude untill you run out of supplies which are organized and abundant before your mortality runs out, my picture of you was not alone in your house at your table, but you doing "hands on" craft "clinics" like you have described you do at work with gardening.!
Any chanch of getting you and your supplies and knowledgable support out there some how giving the gift of "I made this myself" to others?

Ruby, maybe tomorrow I' ll make some of my clutter confessions like the time a Zoning Enforcement officer came to investigate a complaint that I was "attempting to operate a junkyard in a residential area"...and, like you and Gita and Sally and all others of our legion, it is so heartening to know that I am not the only one moving to a simple less excessive life.. Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8308147

Judy--

How can I just 'give away" half my life's work? Who would be worthy of receiving this???

Every fall, I think--I need to find a neighborhood X-Mas bazaar somewhere and get a
table and sell these things...and then--the days come and go and so do the deadlines--
and I go: "Well--maybe next year"...
Of my smaller crafts--nothing would be over $5. The angels and other Christmas oriented
decorations are all cute----
I tried one year at our Estonian House's Christmas Bazaar here--and had a table there.
Seems these kind of knick-knack thingies are not what they are looking for. I still made $300!
I think this was about 5 years ago...

Talking about Clinics and demos. at work---guess what I will be doing this Sat. and Sun.?
My Mgr. Donn, said he wanted me to set up a table by a display of plants and show people how to
re-pot tropicals. Also--IF they buy a plant--and IF they buy the pot--I will re-pot the
plant for them--FREE! Then I sat down and created a flier to pass out. I plastered it all over
the store--wherever I could think it needed to be.

Donn wanted me there both Sat. and Sun. I said--I only work on Sundays...
Then later--I looked him up and said---I WILL do this both days--because YOU want me to
I love this man to death--and would not want to refuse something he wants for the store.
Have you seen the picture of him and me? I have posted it on two other Posts.

I will take some pictures of the table and and show you. ...

Here is my Rose Angel--a bit out of focus...but, this is one of my favorite "little crafts"

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8308151

Here is another little one--bout 4" tall.

The Gnome---

OK! Enough show and tell...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8308166

Your gnome makes me smile! Do you have those supplies? Make a little assembly line and bring them to the next Swap. At least bring one if you can!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 13, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8308237

Gita - how fun!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing this with us. Sally might be on to something. Maybe charge a supply fee and have the supplies for the "students" to learn some of your crafts. That way, if indeed you already have an abundance of supplies, that would be one way to get rid of them quickly. And...you would be doing what you enjoy so much, teaching others to do what seems to come so easy for you. Have any of you seen this artists paintings? I was totally blown away some years back when Gita posted some of her paintings on another forum. This woman is above talented...she is an artist for sure.

Judy...thank you so much for hinting to the Zoning Enforcement Officer story. I am all ears whenever you decide to share. I realize that often times it takes extremes such as this for us to act on things that we have let slide over time. I need to leave computer for a bit and go get my shaggy hair trimmed. I want to come back later in the day and share something that happened here less than thirty minutes ago that involves my hubby and his (literal) junk collection, wrecked cars he has taken possession of in hopes of restoring even though in reality restoring old cars is a rich man's hobby and not an unemployed old hippie one.

Later friends.

Ruby
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8308282

But Ruby, he is our unemployed old hippie, Love ya John.

Gita, your crafts are lovely. I like to look but at this stage of my life I don't need anything else to take up space. I just bring out my old stuff and bring back memories.
Those Puppies and Kittens are adorable. Don't limit yourself to Christmas sales sometimes there are craft sales in the spring, and you could also sell some of your plants.
Sally's idea is great too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8308322

Ruby---

Thanks for your "promo" of me...You are so sweet!

Been there--done that--with running a crafts group once a month--for 3 years..
I did it for an organization I belong to. I have pretty much dropped out from it now...

My "Craft and Chit-Chat" events were printed in the Group's Newsletter,
as well as what the project was. My addy, the $5 participation fee, which included
ALL supplies needed as well as refreshments and some beverages and often wine.

The Pilgrim and Indian Maiden, as well as the Turkey, were 2 of the projects we made.
Those were VERY difficult for all the people. Some had never even used a glue gun..
Most challenging--but I guided and helped and they all were happy with the end results.
We did 3 year's worth of Sunday craft-get-togethers. Lots of projects!
What we made had to be simple and inexpensive. Lots of searching and thinking...
These were held on Sunday afternoons from 3-6 or so.

The first year, I had a steady group of 5 or 6 people that came.
It took some thinking and planning. The table was set--with supplies and work areas,
and such. Scissors , glue guns, paints etc...That also took a lot of time.

In the last year--some of my original people moved away or did not participate any more.
I tried to resume this activity, but fewer people showed interest. I still prepared for
all those that had signed up. Then--the day of the crafting--the call-outs came.
When I was down to one person--I decided to stop this wonderful activity.
It just was not worth the time...

Don't want to get into that again! It cost me too much time and money and frustration...
However--I really enjoy teaching people things----hence all my Garden Clinics at HD.

Gita

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8308372

Gita, I know where you are coming from, I did a craft workshop for a garden club, the program organizer saw an golden angel I made for a Christmas Arrangement for our club's Christmas show. They kept after me till I agreed to do it. Everyone that wanted to make one brought their own supplies but it was a messy craft so I had to prepare the tables for an easy cleanup. It is amazing how many folks do not know how to follow directions. Anyways I don't think many finished their's and the craft had to be taken home to complete.
I found that joining organizations takes up to much of my time, I dropped out of everything when I started working full time. When belonging to an orginization turns into a "job" it is not fun anymore.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 14, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8310051

I hear both of you!!! Yep, time and energy is very precious these days. No one has enough of either it seems. Gosh, the unfinished projects I have.

Chris, you are a hoot!!! Had to giggle at your comment on folks not knowing how to follow directions. I know, I know.

Anyway...fun conversation. Hope that everyone is having a good day.

Ruby
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8310091

Ruby, It looks to me like you had been steadily working on decluttering your surroundings and I applaud you for that. From what you have posted over time I get the impression you are doing it at a steady pace, not the start and stop that so many of us fall into, me included.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 14, 2011

Post #8310142

Good morning Chris sweetie. I have been at it for some months now. I owe the keeping at it to the active posters on the Clean and Clutter Free forum here at Dave's. Actually, not only have I been steady at it for the several months now, it is a life time project it seems. The difference in all the other times that I have attacked cluttered areas is that it usually doesn't take too long to fill the spaces right back up as soon as I have had a chance to make it to a dollar store. hahaha I believe that is going to be the difference this time...I am realizing that I need to find something other than shopping for bargains to fill my time. I've already known for a couple of years that an Everything for $1.00 store are poison for me. I go there to save a few cents and end up spending loads of money. I am down to only shopping them when out of town.

It has really helped to know that there are others like myself out there who battle the same demons. Having a place to hold myself accountable to has helped me keep at it. The encouragement of the others always feels good too and makes me want to do more.

Another thing along the same lines is hearing one story of a poster who was moving and did a very major de-clutter and began keeping a list of the cost of the items she was sending out the door. She said when it hit ten thousand dollars, she stopped counting. I began paying attention to what I too was sending out the door either with friends, or to charity and realized I could have probably purchased a new vehicle with all the impulse, make me feel good purchases I have made in the past years. Sickening for sure.

I still have way too much in terms of "pretty to look at" things sitting here, there and every where, but the financial cost of so many of these things is really smarting. I don't believe I will ever have a guest to my home comment on my minimalistic decor, ain't gonna happen folks, I like my possessions too much. I now have a couple of bins that I was able to get together before the holidays of things that I plan to begin selling online. About ten or so years ago I ran an online shop for antiques and collectibles. I stopped doing it when my dad died and tending to his estate took so much of my time. I am looking forward to getting back in to that and am hoping that folks are still shopping for the types of items I will be offering.

The opening of an online store won't come until I feel as though the house is in acceptable condition for me to begin putting my time and efforts elsewhere. Kind of looking at six weeks or so down the road for this venture.

Aren't you sorry you commented now? I am telling you everything that you did not ask. With this thought, I will close and bid everyone good thoughts for a great weekend. Love all you great folks, that is the truth.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8310241

Ruby, I also applaud you for stickign with the work of decluttering. It ain't a lot of fun; we have to confront our previous choices and say- "I thought I would like or use this but I have not and I will not keep trying to"
I love a dollar store browse too! But staying out of the store, all stores, is step 1 in stopping the new stuff coming in.
I am trying to arrange a donation of a sofa- Salvation Army has a near three week wait on a truck, another group has a stuffed warehouse and can't take more. America is still too prosperous for much interest in used furniture.

You know what is unrealisic but would be funny? If we could trade off our clutter. I got this idea as I came across some computer stuff (DH clutter) that I am trying to store. I think I will have more fun rearranging HIS clutter, than I would dealing with MY OWN. Similarly, I need someone ELSE to come tell me which clothes are really outdated and less flattering, than trying to choose myself. Extra clothing choices are nice but then I go wear the same several things for one whole winter.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 14, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8310323

Sally, the first realization I had when thinking of addressing my clutter issues was that knowing myself and my tendencies, I was not going to be able to begin addressing anything unless I had someone with me to do it. I have spent a lot of money over the years having my cleaning lady work extra time to help me rearrange things. Too costly. One of the ladies on the clutter board wrote out a whole long description for me to pretend that she were sitting there with me as I began my work on decluttering. She kept after me and I was finally able to begin doing the needed work on my own and haven't had to spend a mint to have someone with me as I made decisions about what could stay and what needed to go.

I don't believe I would have kept up with the huge undertaking had I not had the encouragement and support of the others on the clutter forum. There have been some positives to come out of this project too. I am going to get back in to online selling, which I enjoyed when I did it. My son who in the past I would ask about getting rid of some of huge collection of clothing, only to hear that he wanted to keep it all, has now gone through his clothing twice and gotten rid of a good amount of things. He followed my example, I didn't have to say a word and that has been a real blessing. He is quite a clothes hound.

I tell you Sally, I have had the same thoughts on we Americans. When one of the major headlines in almost every woman's magazine is something to do with clutter, what spoiled rotten, ingrates we are. The majority of the world starving or not having fresh water, or housing, and our main thoughts are of how to get rid of our excesses. People risking their lives to get to our shores in order to have a chance at a better life and here we sit with what the majority of the world would consider riches. Nough said!!! I could go on. I am one of whom I speak. I am guilty as charged.

Anyway, good luck in finding someone to take the sofa. Sit it out front of your house at the curb the night before trash pick up in your neighborhood and I bet it will be gone. There are folks who hobby is driving through neighborhoods to see what treasures they can find on trash pick up days. Or sit out front with a FREE sign on it, someone will take it and be very happy to have it.

Thank you for starting this topic Sally. It is right up my alley.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8310959

Clap clap- applause for working thur the clutter and developing the skill in dealing with it!

I've been a good girl this week. Worked diligently to weed out some stuff in basement. Today got into the younger teens room--Yes I should make him do it but you know...
My basement needs a thorough going thru and arranging to be more usable. And I need to get some of that sewing stuff out and SEW; I like to sew. I have curtains to make for my bedroom.
One goal in the basement is to make a more usable food storage area. No pantry in the kitchen, I need more space to store a bit more food. I'm forever running to the store for things. Taking advantage of sales is a good money saver.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8310975

It is almost painful for me to give anything away...I seem to have an attachment to everything!

Clothes??? I have almost 2 small closets full of clothes I will never wear again--nor fit into.
Several items in one of the closets are "Pantaloon" dressy gowns I hand made. NOTHING in that closet id ever used again--for eons!
Back in the 70's and 80's I made most of my own clothes, pants, dresses and all that.
They are better made than anything you can buy in a store... All lined--seems finished--etc..
I keep thinking that maybe some of these funky vintage second-hand stores would like to have the gowns in there. but I have never followed through. So they hang in my closet...

I have an amazing--3pc. suit I made--and maybe wore it once. it truly is amazing!
Looks like wool--but is washable. Off white with black, thin grid lines in a square
pattern. Have pants, lined vest and lined jacket. Nice buttons...Man! it took me forever
to make that!!!!
Too "out of style" to sell to the general public--but someone would surely like it...I hope.

As far as my own clothes go--about 80% of all my clothes are from Thrift Shops.
By now--it is easier for me to find something I like in a Thrift Shop than at any dept. store.
And--I also like going to them for the variety and the prices...
Pants are especially hard--as I HATE the low-waisted pants. My belly would hang out over it.
I want "normal" clothes--not the ones that are a fad--and these fads change every 2-3 years--
or none of the stores would make any money. The young crowd follow these like puppies.

What is it right now??? Pencil thin Jeans...Leggings and nothing else---High platform sh0es--
fleece-lined boots---Layers of clothes on top--each one showing below the other...Bra straps hanging out are perfectly OK!
I hope there are some stores geared to the seniors...I really do nor shop around.

I really do not like to go to Malls and other Dept. stores any more--UGH!
My jobs for the last 25 years have all been to do with garden centers of some kind--
so I have slipped into the super-casual styles...pants and tennis shoes...

Going out? Better pants and a nicer top and nicer flats.. Never wear dresses or skirts...

Anyway----
After reading all these posts--yesterday I tried to do some straightening...
No biggie---but I sorted out 3 drawers of socks (whoppie!) and started on organizing
my seeds for the Swap. Today--that is all i have done! Watching TV while doing it.
Needed to print out so many new labels--and stuff the seeds into the tiny baggies--
gotta go to Wallmart--I am out of them. Trying to find pictures of plants to tape to
the fronts of my seed envelopes, and on and on...

Thought I would tackle the small bathroom today--but NO! Just not in the mood!

I work tomorrow and Sunday--The re-potting clinics both days--then am off Monday
--then work Tues. and Wed. etc...etc...etc...Thurs. a Dr.'s appt. and so it goes.

I seem to spend most free days floating down "De Nile"...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8311569

Hey, I am not the one to point any fingers! Why worry about the stored stuff; its not hurting anybody. I'd also have a huge struggle tossing my handmade items. I must have outgrown the things I made in my teens and twenties, and with a couple of moves, got rid of them. I do have a very complex patterned knitted sweater that I made from nice wool and never wear it- the sleeves are very baggy and the wool is very fuzzy which I now do not like. I look at it once a year when changing seasons, am amazed at how I did that complicated lacey pattern, I think how reluctant I'd be to try that again, and put it away!

Imagine if we were on a super clean forum where people vacuum religiously, dust every week, etc. I'd feel like a total pig but there is NO WAY I'd spend that much time cleaning. I think after a point, it is pointless- unless its for health reasons.

I already don't like shopping for the style reason. The younger crowd dominates the marketplace. Yes, there is a rare event that one cannot wear jeans to these days.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8312165

Sally Nate Berkus would tell you to frame that sweater and hang it on your wall. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8312225

Creative!
I should wear it to the swap!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8312243

Sally--
You could also sell it on Craig's List---because it is local and there is no shipping involved.
"Hand made--100% wool sweater. Never worn...Pure wool! $40- (or as you wish).
Consignment shops would be another option--but you would only get about half of the value .

The two things I have advertised this past year on Craig's--when they call--they all want
a reduced price. I do not like that! What i ask--is a fair price.
You can always "up" your asking price and then, reduce it if they beg...
That way--everyone is happy.

This was one of the items I tried to sell--this goofball woman kept e-mailing me that she wanted
them to "decorate her house'. I asked $35. She offered $25. I paid $
125 for them in 1960. Used them about 5-6 times.
My boy-friend and I used to go skating on the old Memorial Stadium ice rink.

Then I sent her a reply and said the I would rather a young lady would have them to skate in--and
I asked her how she would use the skates to "decorate her house"?...

She never answered--but e-mailed me still asking if i still had them...

I replied that i did--and the price was still $35. I also said that she never told me how she would use
these to decorate??

She replied that I had asked her no such thing (the decorating) and that my e-mails were rude
and she ended up saying that she "didn't wand my stinking skates anyway!"

Two days later--she e-mailed me again asking if Is till had them--as she wanted to use them
to go skating on a frozen pond in NJ where she grew up...

I have not answered any of her e-mails since..Geesh! Weirdos out there!

Will go back to organizing my seeds tonight. That seems sane...
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8312312

Yup, crazies. If not that then just not very considerate. I had two inquiries on some figurines, I answered them promptly. Neither one bothered to respond, at least say, Gee not what I had in mind , thank you anyway.
I am having better luck with some furniture though (knock on wood # 107 for the month)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8314472

Ebay, Craigs List, Goodwill, FreeCycle(if you want to give it away) all good ways to get rid of your stuff. Every once in awhile someone I know has a garage sale, I just give them a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of.
I have a lady in our church that does mission trips to Nicaragua(sp?) and I gave her baby clothes and small toys.
For gently used shoes...soles4souls is a great charity organization(sent lots of baby shoes to them...they grow out of them so fast)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8314678

Good ideas, Jen. That helps with the "I am not using it but don't want it wasted if it's usable or collectible"
I saw guys going through the records at Goodwill once. I am sure that people who can sell collectibles will scour the stores and get that one in fifty of item XXX that is actually sought after. My dad had very old records, but only one had more than minimal value, and that was maybe $6.

some Goodwills actively watch their incoming, and put certain items on eBay

You'd laugh , after all my postings, to see the random papers and books that lay next to my bed (blush)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8314786

And that laugh would be out of fondness and recognition! (double blush here)

My piles want to set up a play date at the shredder as soon as the weather warms up

Gita, I'll see your pair of iceskates and raise you a pair of rollerskates in their original metal skate case covered in names of friends in nail polish.

Jen, great suggestions for passing it on...and keeping the flow going

For all sewers, knitters, crochers, etc who enjoy the process or doing of same. A friend
makes items like hats and booties and afgans and donates them to hospitals and preemie/NICU units through Carewear

http://www.carewear.org/index.cfm

Just like peace, pass it on.. J

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8314805

{{chuckling}} I may have to fold after that skate case

Wow that Carewear site is great!!!! A ton of patterns for all the crafts Judy named. I have heard of a Snoopy quilt group, similar, don't have a link.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8314962

I swear paper is the hardest clutter to control. Ric and I were at our HGHA meeting and came home with a couple of magazines and some fliers on growing and using Lavender, For every piece I give up I usually bring home a few more.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8315003

Are you all aware that the "Goodwill" is no longer a non-profit industry???
How can you tell? They charge sales tax!

One might ask--What DO they do with the moneys from the stores?
I remember that they used to have "clients" that manned their stores--
under supervision, of course.
Then--they all went to these "Super Stores"--doubled all their prices, and hired
non-English speaking workers. So--at least they are providing jobs to those in need.
Geez! $3 for a T-shirt? $10 for used boots! $6-$7 for used jeans!

Ever since I found that out--I hate to donate to them--but I still do, occasionally, as there is one
just 5 minutes from my house. You still get a receipt and can claim the value of your donations
as a tax deduction.

Salvation Army--Am Vets--D.A.V.--St. Paul de Francis--Those are still non-profit stores.

All those that call you on the phone and ask if you have anything for them to pick up--
and there are many--sell all the donations they collect by the truck-full
to independent Thrift Shops--like Value Village, Village Thrift Shop, and such.
Can't think of others right now.
Have NO idea who benefits from the $$ taken in from these???

If I am wrong--I will stand corrected. No problem.
This is just info. I have been told and heard over the years.

Gita
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8315030

[quote="HollyAnnS"]That is part of why he shops and I don't. I don't think I could put it all together quite like he does. Takes him about an hour and half going thru the papers, clipping and organizing. Not to mention the store deals he spends a long time in the store figuring out what is the best buy that week. I'm a grab and go kind of person. [/quote]

We have the 918 Coupon Queen here. Lots of shopping bargains and she gets a lot of stuff free or they even have to pay her back money by using sale ads, instore coupons and other coupons she clips. I think the link is couponqueen.com ... something like that, google it. Printable coupons. I don't have the exact link on me right now.

As for junk mail, I too have lots of address labels, I don't mind getting those, and sometimes I get note pads with my name on them. In an effort to try to reduce junk mail, after I get out of the car I stop at the trash bin in the garage and deposit whatever junk mail I don't want, so it never makes its way into the house. I usually will send a donation to the March of Dimes a couple of times a year. I already donate to the United Way at work, and a lot of the other charities get money from them.

As for getting mail for a deceased person or someone who no longer lives there, why couldn't you complete a 'change of address card' and send it to the post office. They then have to sort out that mail so you never receive it. For the deceased persons new address, write 'unknown, heaven, etc.' so they will stop sending it to you. Just a thought.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8315102

Crit some of the mail that would come to a deceased person is important to receive it takes months and some times years to sort thru everything. Sometimes there are bank accts, insurance and other papers that you would want to get because you may not know all of their banking, investing and other important financial or personal info. What they receive in the mail may just be a clue to those things.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8315113

Bummer ... I guess you will just have to take the good with the bad.

Good mail vs. junk mail. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8315139

Good will Baltimore/ maryland had trouble in the past (well past) about their directors being darn well paid. I personally think Salvation Army does a better job. Valu Village/ NCC seems like a good busy store too. I look at all thrift stores as at least a clearinghouse on things otherwise destined for the dump. They're a great resource for costumes.

It sounds like not much to be done about junk charity mail in general and deceased in particular. It costs money in staff time for the charity to have someone do the work of deleting.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 17, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8315190

You gals are always good for a laugh or two. I laugh because I can so identify. I too have a hand made long jeans skirt I made in high school and over the almost forty years of moving from one place to the other, the skirt always has a place in my closet.

Speaking of paper...yesterday afternoon I took a chance and ventured out back in to my storage shed which I haven't been in for quite some time. I just wanted to see what sorts of things I might find. One box I semi-sorted through held receipts and other papers that belonged to my granddad. The ones I picked up and looked at have 1921 dates on them.

I am not a regular Craig's Lister, but a few weeks ago looked at our local site and saw someone advertising to buy old paper items. I am going to look today and see if the ad is still running and give this guy a call. Another item I found that this person may be interested in is a box of baby shower cards that my mother kept from MY baby shower in 1955.

The reason for being in the shed on a cold winter afternoon is that earlier in the afternoon I gave a friend a call. The friend owns an auction house that has estate auctions weekly. One of the reasons that my storage shed runneth over and every nook and cranny in my house is full is that for some years the auction house was a hobby of mine. I attended auctions most every week and loved getting box lots for a dollar or two. They knew me to buy the things that no one else would bid on. hahaha Over the years, it has now been at least six years since I have been involved in the auctions, I would on occasion get together a group of things and send back to her to sell for me. It was definitely not a get rich scheme, but it is a way to get rid of a lot at one time.

Anyway, she has scheduled me in to an auction on the first Wednesday in February. That does not give me much time to get my things together, but I plan to send some things and hopefully get a few dollars for my efforts. She has several clients who make their living by attending yard sales, shopping at thrift stores and just picking up odds and ends wherever they can and regularly send the things to auction. I do not have enough to carry a whole auction and I am sure she is scheduling me in with some others who are sending small lots of things.

Anyway, being one who would describe myself somewhat like Gita described herself, as someone who doesn't come up off of my belongings easily, I try to get every penny out of things that I can. I will let you all know how I make out.

Even if the monetary return isn't all that great, the idea of getting my shed and some of the corners in my house, a bit more spacious is pay off in itself. I could do the Craigs List, online selling gig but first need to make a dent in amount of items I possess and then set up a better organizational system in order to sell items individually. The auction selling and online selling is not new to me, I was involved in doing both of these things some years back and fell away from it when moving to the house I am currently living in about six years ago. Time to get back in the saddle I would say.

Go at it girls, just think of the good feeling of getting rid of things and having more room to store the things we want to keep. Again, a big hug and a sincere thank you to Sally for starting the topic. It is much needed by many.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 17, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8315206

Cross posted with you Sally hon. Anayway, Gita and others who may be holding on to some vintage types of clothing. I also have a little experience with that. We have a local shop named Glad Rags. It is a consignment shop for women's clothing and jewelry. I have had a running account in the past, though as with most everything else, I haven't been involved for several years now.

Anyway, this stores busiest time is Halloween. She does a booming business at that time with the University of Virginia being close by and the coeds with lots of money looking for just the right thing to dress up in. You may want to do some prior phone work and call some of the consignment shops and ask their busiest times and see when you should bring your items in so they will be available during that time. Most of these shops will only keep things for a certain amount of time before they expect you to either retrieve them or they donate to charity when your time has run out. I would suspect that getting things to them either in late August or during September would be the best time for things to sell. Check with the stores first because Glad Rags stops receiving items on a certain date before their big sell time in October.

Sally, I think much like you and the items like socks and hosiery and the like are hidden away in drawers and no one can see the jumbled and messy condition they are in, so I don't sweat over it. I do know that these items have to be addressed at some point, because frankly I am getting tired of looking at them in their present condition and can imagine how nice it would be to retrieve a pair of undies from a neatly organized drawer. Some day...not today though.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8315469

Just threw out all the catalogs I received for Christmas...you know the ones...Hale Groves, Fannie Farmer, Figis...on top of all the regualrs oncs I get...LL Bean, Terrys Village etc...filled almost the whole recycle bin...sheesh

Also remember to look into any organization that picks up clothes...like Vietnam Vets, when they pick up clothes that way they sell the clothes for textiles and get the $ so the clothes are not being used by anyone. We call it the rag bag, so it it has a stain or hole it goes to them and the pick up at the door. But the majority of my old clothes(esp the kids stuff) is in great condition and I'd like it used by someone who really needs it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8315545

Jen thanks, i have suspected but not been sure, that some of the old clothes just go to fiber reclamation/ rags etc so for that reason I always throw EVERYTHING in the donation bag, and let them sort it out. Just today- a really nice heavy Dickies hoodie with broken zipper. I put a Broken Zipper note pinned to front, fair warning.
I just left yet another bag at my friend's door, the one who was smart and nice enough to live right down the street and to have two children a couple years younger than two of mine and in the correct gender.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8315549

We take some of Ric's clothes to the local Men's Shelter. He had some old but very warm clothes, things that wouldn't sell in a donation shelter too far out of date fashion wise, but are great for the homeless men that come to the shelter. I have taken some of our older blankets there, too.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8315560

LOL Sally bet your smart friend loves those bags. When I was the 4-H leader one of the families in the club was very rich. Dad was an eye surgeon they had a son a few years older than Josh and always passed down his clothes. Josh loved getting those bags. LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 20, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8320419

It is good to hear that those of you who posted about the clothing are of the same mind as myself. Somehow I have raised two sons who want the very best and most costly of everything. I don't know where that came from because the first years of their lives, they wore hand me downs for the most part. Some kids grow so quickly and these days have so many clothes that things don't get too worn out for another person to make use of them.

I am very happy to report that the worst offender of of the two sons, the younger one who is currently living at home has seen me running around here for the past few months collecting things to go out the door. In times past whenever I would ask if he wanted to donate any of his clothing, he would always say no. Without a word from me, but by somehow catching the de-cluttering bug from me evidently, he has gone through his clothings twice now and given me a good amount of things to send to thrift store.

Some of the readers on this thread have also posted and read some on the Clean and Clutter Free board here and know all that I have been up to. I have sent a lot of items out the door to charity the past months but after having to write a two thousand dollar check to Sear last Saturday to order laundry appliances and that two thousand came out of my flooring fund, I have now decided to begin seeing if I can now sell some of the items that we own that we don't use and would be considered clutter by some.

Anyway, I have an auction date and will be taking a load to the auction site next Wednesday afternoon. Most of it will be along the household items types of things. I made a list of the things I want to send and John and I will be super busy next Wednesday as we load up. While looking for items to send to auction, I found some old papers and two days ago set out with my first involvement with Craig's List. I have had several people respond to my ad for old papers. One is coming on Saturday to see the things I have and the other I need to call later today and set up a time to have him come by.

Somehow two nights ago I started going through my jewelry and I spent a couple of hours that night and pretty much all day yesterday going through my many jewelry boxes and stands. I came across a lot of items that I don't remeber acquiring. I plan to take things to a gold and silver dealer, tomorrow maybe and see what he can offer me. The things that I have any special feelings for will come back with me if he can't make it worth my while to sell it.

While there I plan to also let him go through all the silver items that have until now lived in drawers hidden away. If the price is right, I plan to sell those too. I am officially starting a flooring fund. I asked on the other board for good luck wishes with this endeavor, so am asking the same here.

Anyway, John and I will be extra busy for the next little while. I am hoping to be able to report back at some point that everything sold for more than I had hoped and along with money in my pocket, my house looks a lot better too.

The sun is shining bright this morning and I plan to get outside in a bit and take a stroll around the yard for a bit and then go back to storage shed and see if I can spy anything else to send out the door. Hope that you all are enjoying good weather today too and are making progress with whatever clutter matter is on the agenda.

Have a great day everyone.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8320928

Ruby, its great you've seen some things going out the door. My kids have not been terrible fashion 'queens' but DS came by some clothes from a roommate and is surprisingly tempted just because they are 'free' wanting to wear things he hasn't worn before. The allure of being ' in style' to the teen and 20+ crowd!!
Best of luck on the sale. You may be very pleasantly surprised and I hope so. But try not to pin too much hope on it. So hard to predict!

Gold and silver prices are pretty good these days so if its truly of no value in your drawer, might as well get and estimate. I'm sad to say. Mom took her few 'heirloom' pieces and sold them several years ago without asking my advice or her sister. She did not need the money. When it comes down to it, heirloom jewelry is one of the most storable things one can keep.

Most of all, keep that floor in mind and you'll be looking forward instead of trying to hang on to stuff. I try to look to 'free floor space' cuz I know I really like to feel space around me and that's one reason I like being outside so much. (Possibly because I am a natural klutz and have a very deep underlying fear of bumping into things! Really, think about it. One nevers runs into the door jamb OUTSIDE, does one?)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 21, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8322203

Interesting thoughts on the idea of open spaces. The vision I have for my bungalo is certainly not the state it is in today. I have things on every wall and hanging from every place possible to hang any thing. Years back I wanted to get in to the Feng Shui style of decorating but could never get past step one...no clutter. I finally found a book that I purchased that is the opposite of Feng Shui and decided to continue to decorate in the style...Funky Shui. This style allows me to display all the lovelies that I have collected over the years. Yeah, I like open spaces, but really don't see it happening for me in this lifetime.

Hope that everyone reading this will have a good weekend.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8351781

Here it is beginning of Feruary!
I have NOT yet cleaned any "one area" as I had planned...

Somehow--I knew I wouldn't! Bummer! I hate myself for all the procrastination...

Good excuse--as always--I've been too busy to clean...GAG!

How are the rest of you doing with the "resolutions"?????

Gita
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8352100

I still have boxes in the garage from our move a year ago. Some of it is my Mom's stuff that I got and need to go through. Other is just stuff that I have had and need to see what is there, what to keep, and what to send out the door. My DH is on me about it. We can get my car in there but not it AND the pickup. Pickup won't fit where my car is because of the fridge and freezer against the wall.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8352312

Oh Crit, I imagine with all the snow you have had that the last thing your DH wants to do is dig out the bed of the pickup...not a fun job after clearing shoveling paths, drives, etc all the while with that new garage...so close, yet so far away! Maybe you could go through a box or two while hunkering down by that blazing fire. Progress not perfection and a step towards fitting both next winter!

I've also on occasion offered to my DP to use my car to run an errand rather than his vehicle since mine's cleaned off already...

Gita wonder if you thought about using your iceskates with all of our ice!!!!

Sally, I found a book ADD-friendly ways to Organize Your Life reading it now.

All of my tax stuff is in one place ( er pile) but not on my schedule to do yet...lots of resistance this year.

Hope every one is doing okay on all fronts. Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8352836

Judy--

LOL--Me on skates??? With two replaced knees?
I live in fear of ever falling on one of them! It has made me VERY cautious.

Those skates I showed are size 8 1/2 I now wear a size 10.
Can't believe how much one's foot-size can change as we "plod"
through life...

Making a BIG batch of stuffed cabbage today. FINALLY!!!!
Been wanting to do it for a couple of years.

Hey! I'll take a picture and show you all! Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8352875

Gita, Hope you have found a pair of Yaktracs or Stabilicers like mentioned in this thread for for icy slip/fall weather. I I wouldn't be without several pair for doing my newspaper deliveries.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143772/ and here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143773/

This message was edited Feb 4, 2011 10:14 AM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8353306

mmmm stuffed cabbage YUM

I was talking to the cashier at Barnes and Noble yesterday and why she thought she had to tell me this story, must have that kind of face...she fell 2 years ago on black ice, tried to keep her head up so came down on her elbow, totally shattered it. Had pins and rods permanently inserted, 3 months of physical therapy, but still has no full range of motion with the arm. Dr told her if she had hit her head they wouldn't be having that conversation.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8353662

It funny why some people decide to tell things to strangers. Or ask. One week I had three different people ask me where is (something) in this grocery store

My cleaning and organizing has hit a lull since the biggest piles were condensed and several bags and boxes went to charity. No longer so urgent.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8353709

Judy--

I tend NOT to spend money on things that I can avoid by being careful
and using common sense...
Awareness of potential dangers (falling..slipping..sliding..) is the best defense...
Anticipating the inevitable--and then taking care NOT to fall for it...

After years of being careful--it becomes habit...

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 4, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8353886

I am so glad that you folks are posting again. I have been really hard at it. Actually kind of slowed down a bit yesterday and haven't yet touched any clutter today either. We found ourselves under a time restraint due to sending items to be auction next Wednesday. We are down to one more car load and that should be it. Unless we find more things later and we will do it again.

In order to have enough items to send to auction, John and I have been clearing out the storage shed which was in awful shape due to lack of maintenance for a couple of years. It was full of stink bugs and mice have gotten in to a few fabric items. Thankfully, he is taking it upon himself to clean it out before I have to go back out and be exposed to those nasties again.

I have found a load of things that went to auction, plus two gallon sized freezer bags of jewelry to take to an appraiser, plus silver types of things we are hoping to sell either online later or to a dealer close by.

Can't remember if I had found the box of my grand dad's paper work when I last wrote or not. There was a large box of paper items from the early 1930's and while going through it yesterday found some dated in the mid 1920's. Was going to try and sell some of them but have decided to contact my cousins and see if anyone is interested in having some of it first.

After I finish my computer break and have a cup of hot chocolate, I am going to go through my several make up bags of items and send off to a Dave's member who plans to take it to a nursing home and make up some of the gals living there and then leave the different makeups and lotions and creams too with the ladies.

Things are going out of here. Poor John borrowed a pick up today to take some doors and windows we had from remodel projects here to the local Habitat for Humanity store to donate. He returned home with them because they wouldn't accept them. Drives me nuts. John said the guy said if they were newer or lots older there is a market for them. I suppose anything in the fifteen to twenty year range isn't marketable. I wonder how many folks try to do a good deed only to be turned away. Anyway, maybe a Craig's listing would get them out of here though John said he would just break the glass down and use the wood trim to burn. I didn't think before, but will run a Craig's list ad and see if anyone is interested in almost twenty year old windows in great shape, the previous owner, me just wanted a picture windown installed.

So, I have made myself tired by writing this. Off in to the wild blue yonder I go. Have a great weekend everyone.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8354038

Ruby--

You sure are cleaning out...I would have a hard time parting with a lot of stuff...
I do not have a storage area==nor a garage...Everything I have is in the house---
and none of it is in the category of "junk"...OH, sure--I have "junk"--but it is NOT
really junk. Just "stuff"...

Re your old windows--you could make a lot of Cold Frames out of them...
All John would have to build is the base frame--and then hinge the windows over them.

Will we see you at the Seed Swap?????

Gita

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8354850

I put moth balls in my out building to keep the micies out of it. It doesn't take many and it doesn't make the building "stink", but keeps them away.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8355031

I just used
1 888 567 8688
to opt out of credit offers from Equifax/ Experian and two other companies they named. You need to give birthdate and address, they ask for SSN but when I stumbled on DHs they stopped asking (automated call) so probably don't need to give it.

Then I was on a roll, so I went and found
https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member/initLogin.action
and did their opt outs for mail, which you can by categories (catalogs, credit, magazines) and for emaIL- (A HUGE ANNOYANCE LATELY) so we hope to see that decrease or junk.
The opt out for mail DOES allow companies from whom you purchase to continue to mail you , which is fine with me. But you can choose them individually and folliw links to their own opt out screens.
also it says they don't have to have your SSN and birthdate, it just makes it easier for them to vewrify you.

Excuse me if somebody has already given this .

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 10:19 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 5, 2011

Post #8355164

Great, great, great information Sally. Thank you for posting. Will surely make note and follow your lead. It would be nice to have less junk mail coming in.

Crit, I didn't think of moth balls, and didn't know they worked for mice. I will definitely put them out there. Thank you so very much for the tip. We live in the country and they should be able to find other places to live, just hope it isn't my house. hahaha I suppose a few moth balls inside of house wouldn't hurt either. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Gita, yep we have been busy, busy, busy. I am finding items that are still in pretty decent shape some fifty years later. This past week I have found a plastic child's purse shaped like a Scotty pup that I can remember carrying my nickel in to Sunday School as a very young child. John also brought out a white rabbit mitt yesterday that I remember really loving as a young child too. Thankfully both of these things are in very decent shape. I have found majorette uniforms dating back to the mid 1960's that I wore while participating in twirling contests and parades. All sorts of walks down memory lane.

Haven't really given much thought to the seed swap yet. Will need to get closer to the date and decide then. I would truly love to see all you gals though. I miss being in touch as I was some years back but at least I am back at Dave's again even though my time is mainly spent on the clutter forum.

An interesting paper find this week seems to be my mother's loose recipe collection that someone just threw in the bottom of a box at some point and it ended up with me somehow. I am glad though because I plan to go through it at some point and see if I can get some order to it and possibly share with my nieces who my mother raised as young girls. I believe they will enjoy having some of the recipes.

Speaking of my mom's recipes. My older son Ben usually makes an ice cream dessert that my mom used to make quite often too whenever he needs to take something to an eating get together. It is called surprise pudding and I suppose the surprise is that the crust is made of Ritz crackers. It is truly very yummy though.

Thank you to each of you participating in this thread. I received some very helpful info today from Sally. Thanks gal. Hope everyone is having a good weekend and that if you are rooting for a team tomorrow that they will win.

Ruby
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8355413

ruby, they also keep snakes away. I put them around the perimeter of my house (outside) and they last quite a while-several months. Replace as needed. We have a lot of rock around here, and are in the country. Here is a pic of some on a door we don't use and I didn't want any nasty snakes coming in there. (the only good snake is a dead snake in my book. As long as they stay away from my house and my yard they live, come there and they die)
"My" team isn't in the superbowl, so I am going for Green Bay, since the steelers have won several SB's before. I know there are new guys on the team, etc., but I would still like to see GB win.
Some of you may of seen this on other threads, but I have to show off our new PAWS puppy Bowzer. He is a Rat Terrier (like my other 2) and is 6 months old. He is quite a character. Fits right in with our family and I think he likes it here too. :-)

Thumbnail by Crit

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8355452

What a sweetheart!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8355688

Ruby---

Not sure if it was here--or somewhere else--but it said that
"Bounce" softener sheets work good too...

Now I am not sure if it was for mice or Roaches...Ain't senior moments great?

G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 5, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8355838

Oh Gita, you are cute as a button. Had to giggle at your comment, not being able to remember which critter the Bounce sheets were for. I am going to try to get Moth Balls as soon as I go to the dollar store maybe one day next week. Wouldn't want John the cleaning man to have worked as hard as he has this week just to have the same thing happen again with critters getting in there. We did learn a lesson though, nothing cloth out there unless sealed tight in a plastic bin.

Crit, the pup is really cute. He looks much like one of my dogs whose name is Dagmar. Dagmar is much larger than a Rat Terrier but his coloring is very much the same as yours. Thanks for the picture, always interesting to see pictures that folks share.

Crit, I don't do Football or any of the sports actually. My two sons are both avid football fans though. John's favorite sport to watch is ice hockey, but he will also watch other types of games if he isn't involved in something else on TV.

Anyway, my clutter work for the day was getting together a box of unused makeup, lotions and creams and a few more odds and ends to mail to another Dave's Gardener who is in Florida. She plans to take the items to a nearby nursing home and share with the ladies there. Funny thing, I only found two tubes of lipstick and one was empty. I know that there have been times in the past when I have questioned my sanity because I had eight or ten tubes at a time. Hmmm...must have already de-cluttered make up items and forgotten I did it. Oh well, another senior type of moment here too. hahaha

Enjoy the remainder of your weekends all.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8355936

I just wrote a long reply---and hit "enter'--and learned that just to the left of it is a "delete" button.

No wonder some of my Posts go POOF!

Wasn't important anyway. Just sharing further examples of my hoarding instinct...
Like--a bag-full of travel-sized small bottles of everything --some are 30 years old.

Wonder WHO would like to have 30 year old shampoo and conditioner and those
small Hotel soaps????????

Tee-hee---I am still trying to decide what to do with them...hmmmm...giggle...

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8356033

Ruby, just a caution about mice and plastic...in my experience plastic can be knawed thru by mice and other rodents. A galvanized metal trash can with tight lid is unlikely to be gotten into. If you use plastic bins be sure to tape over any holes like those under handles where bugs can gain access. Also, it is helpful to elevate storage 6" or so above the floor and not pack tight against the walls. This prevents rodents from having a 'run' Close up any entry points Never tried the moth balls but wouldn't have them indoors for sure because of the hazardous out gassing.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 7:08 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8356063

Judy...Judy...Judy...

You are SO WISE!!!!! The knowledge you share is so special and so needed!
We are so blessed to have you on this Forum!

You offer such great, important information--in the humblest of ways...
Do you know it?
Do you feel it? You should!

Ahem--I should know...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8356071

there are times in life when one must claim ones rightful portion of the garbage dump. After all, we are all paying taxes equally for the trash collection and dump. Have you ever seen partial bottles of lotion etc at the thrift shop? I have. Its GROSS.

But I gave some of those travel things to the local food bank or charity pickup. Unopened soap and lotion from the hospital. Scavengers and charities are experts at reuse, if there is a good reuse for something. and they have trash cans if not. I had a truck collection set for that day of snow. They failed to pick up. I had another org call within the week, they got it. The first called back and I said no for the rescheduled date. The 'night before reminder ' person called and practically begged me for even one small bag. Maybe the call person gets a reward for each donation scheduled.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8356134

Well, I hardly know what to say except I,m glad to be here and learn from you all and contribute what I have. And for all of us who can't remember what the 'bounce sheets' are for, or even where we put them..you all mad eme think of this...Enjoy

A group of 15 year old girlfriends discussed where they should meet for dinner. Finally, it was agreed upon that they should meet at the Dairy Queen next to the Ocean View restaurant because they only had $6.00 between them and Jimmy Johnson, that cute boy in Social Studies, lives on that street and they might see him and they can ride their bikes there.

10 years later, the group of 25 year old girlfriends discussed where they should
meet for dinner. Finally, it was agreed upon that they should meet at the Ocean
View restaurant because the beer was cheap, they had free snacks, the band was good, there was no cover and there were lots of cute guys.

10 years later, at 35 years of age, the group once again discussed where they
should meet for dinner. Finally, it was agreed upon that they should meet at the
Ocean View restaurant because the cosmos were good, it was right near the gym and if they go late enough, there wouldn't be too many whiny little kids.

10 years later, at 45 years of age, the group once again discussed where they
should meet for dinner. Finally, it was agreed upon that they should meet at the
Ocean View restaurant because the martinis were big, and the waiters there had tight pants and nice buns.

10 years later, at 55 years of age, the group once again discussed where they
should meet for dinner. Finally it was agreed they should meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the food there was reasonable, the wine list was good, they had windows that open in case of a hot flash, and fish is good for your cholesterol.

10 years later, at 65 years of age, the group once again discussed where they
should meet for dinner. Finally it was agreed that they should meet at the Ocean
View restaurant because lighting was good and they have an early bird special.

10 years later, at 75 years of age, the group once again discussed where they
should meet for dinner. Finally it was agreed that they should meet at the Ocean
View restaurant because food was not too spicy, the restaurant was handicapped accessible and they even had an elevator!

10 years later, at 85 years of age, the group once again discussed where they
View restaurant because they had never been there before.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8356161

That is a HOOT!!!!

I am half way there myself! You say at 85??? 11 more years--and, God willing,
I will be at that point in life...NOW----If I could only have someone to have this discussion with.
So far--I have not found too many old people I have anything in common with.

Scenario-----at 85.
Ahem---WHERE should we meet for lunch? Hope they have soft foods and tender steaks.
And----My main question would be---Do they have beer on tap?

Haaaaaaaaa...Gita
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8356851

That is too funny. This is off topic, but:

If anyone wants a good laugh, go to this thread on youtube. It is my granddaughter playing with her Rat Terrier. The funniest part is at the very end when you see the dog look over the edge and you hear this soft little 'ow'. I didn't hear it the first time, I was laughing so hard. Heard it when I replayed it for DH. Be prepared, she is a "squeeler".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXsh6LDPoKA
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8356888

That is too funny. This is off topic, but:

If anyone wants a good laugh, go to this thread on youtube. It is my granddaughter playing with her Rat Terrier. The funniest part is at the very end when you see the dog look over the edge and you hear this soft little 'ow'. I didn't hear it the first time, I was laughing so hard. Heard it when I replayed it for DH. Be prepared, she is a "squeeler". lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXsh6LDPoKA
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 6, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8356989

You gals are all so cute and funny. Gita, from my experience with folks who really have issues such as dementia and alzheimers, they don't admit to not being in top notch form. The fact that you are talking and even laughing about it lets me know that you are just suffering from a too full life most likely, not the dreaded diseases that can happen later in life. You are doing great!!! I have been having episodes for years of walking to another room and when getting there, not remembering what I came for. And, I live in a very small house, so we are talking seconds folks.

Coleup, thanks for the reminders. Sounds as though you know of what you speak. Thankfully John is doing most of the storing of the items, but I will certainly let him know the tips you gave. I am inside packing up the bins and he does the actual lifting and deciding where to put them. Thankfully the shed has nice long shelves running the length of both sides.

It is nice and sunny here this morning and supposed to be in the 50's later. I hope to get out and see what kind of progress he has made the past few days. I know that he killed a shop vac and had to go and purchase one on Friday night. He has really come through and been a real trooper with this de-cluttering project. Only a few close calls where one or the other of us raise our voices at each other. We haven't always been known to work well on projects together. One of the worst fights of our entire marriage was during a move from one house to another. We had moved to a new neighborhood and late in the afternoon we were outside yelling as loud as we both could. I was so embarrassed and knew the neighbors were thinking..."there goes the neighborhood."

Anyway...thank you everyone for tips and encouragement. Loved the Ocean View joke Judy. Crit, I haven't listened to the Utube clip yet, still have folks asleep. When everyone is up and moving around I will come and take a peek. Thanks for posting, I need a good laugh any old time.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8357032

Ruby,

I suffer from the ADD as well...many, many times, I go to
get something and when I get there--I have NO idea
what I came for. That happens quite often.
Sometimes I just go back upstairs and see if that will
jog my memory. I write nites to myself all the time...

I get so distracted by everything I pass on the way, that
I no longer know the original purpose of my trip...

Ahhh---Senior momentas!!! Gotta look at it with a sense of humor.

Gita
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8357201

Sometimes I forget I'm senile! LOL My mom told me 10 years ago she thought she was going senile because she would go to a room and forget why. Told her I'm really in trouble, 'cause I did that already! :-)
I contribute it to ADD. I start on my way to do something, see something else that needs done, head to where I originally started, don't remember why, see something else I need to move or put away, went back to where I originally was, oh ya, a reminder of what I went to the other room for. Stay on track Patti, do this and don't get sidetracked with something else until you finish this. LOL A day in my life!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8358022

This phenomena--as we age--is universal...
Just accept it--Live with it--and do not get stressed out over it...
Easier said than done...Ahem...

LIFE happens---Age creeps up---Deal with it!

G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 7, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8358796

I have never been diagnosed as having ADD, but I sure believe I might be a candidate for it. You two have just described a large portion of the way I spend my day. Gita, I too live by notes. I would accomplish much of anything if I didn't have to do lists.

The last car load for auction just left here. Yippie. Pressure to hurry is off. I can't tell you all how nice the shed looked yesterday when I inspected John's work. hahaha He did a great job and the wonderful thing about it is he did it without me asking him to do it. He is learning after all these years thankfully. hahaha Next thing is making a trip to dollar store and buy moth balls. Here is hoping they will do the trick. Poor little mice have had their habitat destroyed. Better they than me.

Here is hoping that everyone will have a great day. Sunny and supposed to be in the fifties here later. Will probably go out and gaze upon the organized storage shed shortly. aaahhhhhh

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8358887

Home Depot sells Mothballs---
A blue box-full for $3.27. It would be in the garden dept. --the aisle where all the
mouse traps and repellents are--as well as all the weed killers.

G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8359045

On the ADD aspect and consideration , in my life I have many examples from childhood through now of ways I've had to adapt the "just do it" approach to tasks, or had to put forth much effort to accomplish things that were like "water off a duck's back" for many (seemingly) but not me and through out my life suffer the judgments or assessments of not quite measuring up no matter how much "perfectionistic " pressure I internally put on myself.

Never easy to declutter or clear such mangled scared over wounds of self esteem, and even being able to deflect or repel many and rise above much , the hard won lessons I have learned still seem little "valued" in this society.

In a different society in a different time, I would have been a valued gaterer for instance, and would perhaps achieved the rep of the one who could find the first Spring flower or the special herb/plant for healing/ceremony and if the time for harvest of such was not right, could be counted upon in my tribe to have some on hand from the last season

In my mid age I may have been selected for trading missions with other tribes because I carried within me the discernment of what was needed/useful for my tribe and always kept an eye out for it and was gracious in sharing what my tribe had to offer and honorable. in dealings with others

I use this circuitous route to get to/return to my value here on earth at this time in this place. Just like styles come in and out of fashion and the seasons change and sunshine follows rain, when it is my turn to express what I have learned about the elephant I (like all the other bilnd men around me ) am touching and experiencing will bring us all closer to the realization of the whole and shift a bit of focus from the parts and the details will become more clear in the mosaic of life.

Any how, public tv has a great special called "Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD?" There is a book of the same name that I'm picking up this week.

Thanks for a place to post this and ears to hear. Judy,

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8359693

Judy--You continue to be SOOO eloquent in your sharing opinions
on Adult ADD...

I am thinking I will start a new Thread on this...
We have "adulterated" the thread we are on right now--so! Lets move on!

This Thread can stay as is---BUT--I think there is a lot to be shared in the
realm of Adult ADD or ADHD that many of us suffer from...

Follow this topic to here.
Lets hope I know all the steps to connect two different Threads to one another...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8359726

Thought the topic of adult distraction--ADD--and facing the aspects of aging
was rearing it's head on this Thread. For us older Folks--it has become a
day-to-day thing to deal with.

It is an interesting thing to discuss and share...Many of us have to deal with it...
The topic of hoarding and house-cleaning can stay here...but it IS connected,
on a deeper level to the one I would like to continue in a New Thread.

Thought I would start a new Thread on this topic.

Let's continue discussion on it here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157624/
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8360008

Actually I am a self diagnosed ADD and OCD. I believe it is that we all have so much on our minds that it makes us all a little scattered brained from time to time. I do get sidetracked easily however, but, I've read of people, more than once, about going from one room to another and forgetting why they went there. As for the OCD, I do count certain things and crooked pictures make me absolutely bezerk! LOL But, that's just my life. :-)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8360105

I was skimming the thread and just wanted to chime in here - knowing what I know about ADD/ADHD (adult and child) I'm tempted to say that a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD is not easily reached, especially not in adults - I have close friends and family members with ADD/ADHD and they have gone through much, much more than forgetfulness, disorganization etc. We're talking some serious depressions/massive, uncontrollable mood swings and psychotic break-downs/psychological issues - in many cases the person is often misdiagnosed as bipolar - take a look at the link I'm posting - http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm (it's widely used when working with patients) - it is not meant to diagnose anyone, just a questionnaire ^_^

As far as OCD is concerned I think we all have a touch of that - I have been known to straighten crooked pictures in a few restaurants myself ^_^

This link is very good
http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8360230

You'd be amazed at how much of the problems are caused by all the chemicals they put in food

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8360287

I will say--my DS has gotten bettter , hard to say how much is maturity,(20- how mature LOL) but he's also become selfmotivated with exercise and healthy diet.
Have you seen Gitas thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157624/

Its really hard to say how much of our (me too, boy o boy) disorganized days are true ADD. I function more efficiently when I HAVE to due to crises or time limits. Somebody said "Any idiot can handle a crisis; its the day to day stuff that wears you down" I certainly could be more organized, use checklists, etc, like workplaces use. Instead I hit the computer for unspecified time.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 8, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8360706

Wow Gals - So full of knowledge and willing to share it. Good going. I am like Crit and it is only I who have labeled myself with any of the disorders we speak of. I can remember about twenty years or so ago speaking of these sorts of things with a therapist I was working with at the time and she pointed out that she believed in my case, it was simply having too much to do and not really classified as diagnosis of any of the the labels.

BECKY~!!! I am so glad to see you. I think of you often and have been wondering how things are going with you. So great to have you chime in. Thank you for the links. I will check out a bit later. I might have another supply of K-cups to get together and send to you. I seemed to have over ordered and won't be drinking all the coffees I thought I would. O/C anyone? If one box of coffee is good, isn't six better? hahaha

John and I have been under a time restrainst as far as getting some clutter out of here. I decided a month or so ago that the things I was sending out the door to Goodwill and Salvation Army might be worth something to someone who might pay a dollar or two for it. I contacted a friend who runs an auction house and she agreed to take our items and fit it in with some other sellers. We have been told twice now that she has to set the date back. That suits us fine because each time it gives us another week to get more things together. Heard yesterday we won't be in this week's auction, so we now have time to pretty much finish with the shed and it many contents.

Along with sending these things away, I am also washing and packing up items that I will at some point begin selling on an online antiques/collectibles site. This is how I used to spend my time some years back. I lived within a couple of miles of the auction house during the late 1990's and early 2000's and attended lots of auctions there. I would come home with car loads at the time. Our former house was double the size of this one and I had space for everything there, though I would every so often, pack up some of my buys and send back to sell on another day. I also had an online shop and did a bit of ebay selling too. When my dad died in 2003, I stopped doing all of that until now. I have oodles of things that have been packed away waiting for me to get the itch again to begin selling and hopefully get to a point where I can once again find a need to do the fun part of the hobby, which is the buying part. hahaha

The de-cluttering has been necessary before I can think of doing the online selling, because of the chaotic state of everything. My hubby has joined in and been a real trooper about cleaning an organizing the shed in order for me to have a space to warehouse some of the items. Working towards this end started last fall when I had finally had enough of the clutter. I didn't set out with selling in mind, but figured that I would give it a try once again since I often found it to be very enjoyable the years I did it.

As always, it is enjoyable to read all your posts and hear what everyone is up to during the months when gardening isn't taking over our minds and bodies. I love all you gals and look forward to hopefully seeing some of you during the upcoming year. No plant swap at our place this year, but hopefully by the next one. Two thousand and twelve, Crozet bound by those of you north of me.

Thanks everyone.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8360843

Just swapped all my 2010 biz files to the other file cabinet, so much fun!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8360852

I have been getting rid of a few things here and there not a big get in there and clean out but I go thru a file or two at a time. I am going to burn old checks next I have a whole bag of them. You know the kind of checks that make a duplicate. I have boxes and boxes of old duplicates. I'm putting them in the coal stove a bundle at a time.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8360857

Much faster than shredding that's for sure!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8361570

Beck,

I scored 64 in the test (first link)..

Moderate ADHD...

Of course--since they do not ask for an age-range, the replies that
have to do with inactivity may be just due to natural aging process.

Gita

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8361618

Don't forget that this is merely a questionnaire & should not be seen as a diagnosis whatsoever - it's something that needs to be discussed with a physician...self-diagnosis is like self-medicating - shouldn't be done

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8361857

Yes--Bec

I do understand all that...and it even so stated in the questionnaire----
Over and over---Kind of a self-protective/required disclaimer...

I am not medically ignorant...I know quite a bit about this field..
Just saying that I have a "tendency" to be ADD. The hyperactivity went long ago.
I will be 74 in one month. The "hyper" anything has come and gone...

One must know and understand oneself...and live with it. Good or bad--
Pills are not necessary...

Gita

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8363153

^_^ I wasn't questioning your medical knowledge...I think we all have a touch of "ADD" at one time or another, I forget what day it is on a regular basis ^_^

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8363392

Bec--

Please don't get me wrong---That was not implied...not at all!

It was more like "knowledge" of how I have lived forever and ever...
and--how frustrated I am because of it...and, helpless to change it.

Add advancing age--and the forgetfulness that comes with it--
just makes it more so...
"Senior Moments" are a daily thing...and I feel so helpless when they hit...
like, not remembering someone's name...a Movie's name---name of a song, etc...

Oh, well...Gita

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8363905

I hate it when I can't remember my name! LOL j/k

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8363980

I blanked out on my cell phone number last week..Ya know you never USE it!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8364550

I don't know many phone #'s any more since everything is in my cell phone I just find the name and push the button. I only know phone #'s that I call from the house. I know Jen's and Jamie's numbers as they are local calls I make from the house phone but Julie and Josh get called from the cell phone. I couldn't call one of them without my cell phone to save my life. LOL Well I did get those old checks burned put some in the stove and let the bag sit back there and Ric burned more of them everytime he feed the stove. I have cleaned out one of the desk drawers. Found supplies from a 4H Horse Clinic I ran about 15 years ago. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8364956

OK! I have a T-Mobile cell phone---NEVER use it! Except if I get lost
and need directions...Hoping it is charged up.
It "lives" in my purse and goes dead...then I charge it up and put it back in the purse...
Then it goes dead in about 4-5 days, etc...etc...

And--NO! I do not know my cell phone number either...
And--NO! I still dial on it--rather than look up the numbers in the "phone Book"...
Mostly--b/c I am not comfortable using a cell phone. Don't have time to meander
through all the "options" till I get where I want to be...
Dialing is quicker than relying on stored #'s. Assuming I know the numbers...
Like to my Daughter or work...
I just am NOT, mentally, in the Cyber World..."Old World" works OK for me.

G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8365052

One day I copied all of the phone # off of my cell phone to a 3x5 card and taped it to the side of my computer...back up to back up

Ihave found it useful to me to have 2 of the same cell phones and three batteries. Got them on ebay. That way, I can carry a phone and spare battery with me. If my cell phone is turned off, or the battery is out of the phone, the charge will hold for a week or two.

The Christmas I picked up a dual solar powered or hand crank charger for two cars and one for emergency drawer. I think they were $8 at TJMaxx. There are 'extended life' batteries available for most cell phones. Best to let charge run out before recharging for longest battery life.

Oh, you may wonder why I have more than one? Suffice ti to say that my DPs's middle name is Murphy as in Murphy's Law which I have come to know up close and personal.!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8368461

Went through a pile of clothes today--really dug in.
Have 3 bags sitting to donate.

Yesterday--I vacuumed floors of the hallway, my Computer room
and my bedroom. Cleaned everything in my BR.

Pulled out all the 3 racks of shoes from my BR closets and went
through them. Cleaned the floors in the closets and put the racks back.

Was going to continue vacuuming today--but then started sorting
through 3 closets of clothes. That too needed to be done...
Tried on some of my older dresses. I can still get into them, but the
mid drift on me looks yukky---fat!...I used to have a waist...:o(
Was toying with the idea of how nice it would be to lose 10lbs...Yeah?

Hope I keep going here...Gotta work tomorrow--off Monday.
This was still a moderetly careful "getting rid of..."

Baby steps...baby steps...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8369655

YAYA YAYA YAY !!! Three cheers! We know that was not easy! Big guilt relief!
Hooray! RAh rah! Well done!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8369702

You are moving right along Gita. Just a bit at a time will get you there. So now I have two desk drawers cleaned and repaired. The bottoms were loose.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8369812

Good going Gita. Baby steps will get you to the desired location as well as any other means. What I have found and heard others who agree that once we get started on the de-cluttering and cleaning, it becomes habit forming and we actually enjoy doing it. Getting started is the hard part usually.

What has happened in my household without saying the first word to any one is that both John and my son Tucker have both begun their own de-cluttering processes too. Tucker is a real clothes hound and in the past whenever I would ask if he wanted to donate anything he didn't use, he would always say no. Over the past couple of months, he has given me quite a few things to get rid of for him. Amazing...

John too has been taking some baby steps in ridding himself of some of his excesses. For six years there has been a small painted wooden box sitting on the end of a tall kitchen counter. It usually held things that came out of John's pockets. On morning a few weeks back I noticed it was sitting there. John told me that he had disposed of the items in the boxes and they were no longer needed. That is progress on his part. yippie.

Now, I have been aware that the other members of my household had been influenced by my de-cluttering. Little did I think that it would carry over as far as my older son who lives about twenty miles from us. He called yesterday during a break from cleaning out and organizing his outside storage building. I thought that was really funny indeed. I suppose that the evening phone calls when he checks in via phone while on his lunch breaks at his job, he has heard so much of my daily tales of sorting and disposing that it also got him thinking about the same thing for his home.

There is another lady on the Clutter boards here who says by her example many folks in her neighborhood in Las Vegas have also taken up the de-clutter challenge. We are winding down from the major work load this project has been. Only a few loose ends to be taken care of. I have found that many things are on-going and need to be done time and again. My kitchen's main food cabinet, plus the cabinet that holds tupperware types of storage containers are places that in the past six or so months I have had to re-arrange several times already because they tend to get disorganized quickly.

Oops...stepped away from computer. Guess that means I have talked enough for now. Hope you good folks are having a good Sunday afternoon.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8369826

Good work for you too Holly.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8370055

And a back pat for Ruby! and the boys!

Tell you what- watch one of those 'hoarding' shows on TV and feel REALLY good in comparison- yeegads!!!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8370332

ruby...would you come do my house????? lol Just moved here a year ago but there is a lot of stuff should never of been moved, just gotten rid of.

I agree sally! I LOVE watching Clean House. Makes my house look terrific!!! Not dirty and not really cluttered, just not Better Homes and Gardens, if you know what I mean

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
11:46 PM

Post #8370809

Rofl Crit, I know EXACTLY what you mean, I just spun my swivel chair around and did a 360 on 'not quite BH and G'
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8370959

lol sally ... i get it!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 16, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8375746

Yeah, I have watched some of the hoarding shows as well as Clean House too. My place doesn't compare with these places unless I am in the middle of a project such as de-cluttering and when the day's steam is gone, it is gone and I usually end up leaving my packing supplies laying around in places where they don't look so tidy.

I hit pay dirt earlier today. I have been de-cluttering my many jewelry boxes. I decided to sell broken pieces and pieces I didn't love. I was written a check for over seven hundred dollars earlier today. That is a much large figure than I expected.

Let's just hope as I continue getting rid of some of our excesses that the good luck continues.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8375785

ruby--

Must have been a lot of gold in them there drawers...as in the commercial...
Gold prices are out of this world today!

Just hope they did not cheat you out of more money--like, maybe, there was something
really worth a lot more... Where did you take your stuff?

Care to share with us what kind of jewelery you sold?
Does old costume jewelery have any great value? Lapel pins? Remember those???
Does sterling go for any kind of money?

I have a lot of jewelery too--but I don't think I would part from it...As you know by now--I hoard things...
Have two old, small gold watches...not the chains--just the watches themselves...Hmmm???

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8376701

ruby, that's terrific!!
I went to a recommended (by the lawyer) local jeweler for appraisals on Moms stuff, THey examined everything closely for the 14k mark or whatever. Some gold chains have a tiny tag by the clasp. Gold and sterling have value. Silverplate flatware has some too, it can be scrapped, but we won't get rich on it LOL. Silver small dishes etc have to have a Sterling stamp on the bottom. Cruddy old black 'silver' that is not stamped, he won't buy, that is a low quality plate of some kind. That's why you see unpolished 'silver' at the thrift store.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8376816

True sterling jewelry will be stamped with .925
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 17, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8376972

Jen, I was quite surprised with the pile of sterling they picked out of the two large gallon freezer bags worth of things I took them. Since sterling didn't bring nearly the value of the gold, I took back a few of the sterling items and will at some point try to take some pics of the few pieces I kept.

The .925 marking applies to silver used in the USA. Other countries have no law regarding the marking of silver, so sometimes a piece is sterling but unmarked. That is where the acid tests they performed on unmarked pieces yesterday comes in to play. Mexican silver is usually unmarked.

Gita, the funny and thankfully beneficial part of the sell yesterday is that this was all pieces I regarded as junk. I still have many, many pieces that I want to hold on to. Yes, costume jewelry has value but not to gold or silver buyers usually. There are many jewelry collectors who collect certain manufacturers. You can use a magnifying glass or a jewelers loupe if you have one around, hahaha to find markings such as Dior, Liz Claiborne, Avon, Gucci, etc., etc. I cannot recall some of the more popluar makers at the moment because I sold these items about fifteen years ago.

I went through my mothers costume jewelry and took it to first of all a jeweler and gemologist I knew personally. She bought some of the pieces for her shop, gold and silver pieces. She then referred me to another shop that specializes in second hand jewelry and she put many of the the things on consignment for me. I didn't get rich, but every penny helped. I remember one set of gaudy looking things that she marked to sell for over three hundred dollars. Sadly, I didn't wait long enough for them to sell in her shop and took them back and really sold some nice stuff one desperate day at a big loss. Oh well...

If you are interested in possibly selling some of the costume jewelry Gita, look in the yellow pages for jewelery buyers and see if they mention buying costume jewelry. You might also call some of the higher end consignment shops and see if they will consign it for you. Yes, there are many people who collect the stick pins. That is one of the cases I stopped at yesterday and looked at the unusual and very beautiful things this establishment was selling.

We had two gold tooth caps that brought over two hundred dollars. I can remember years ago being irate at the dentist who put a gold cap on my back tooth because he didn't ask about using anything else and just put that in without any input from me. When the cap fell off, I saved it and got back a tiny portion of what I spend that many years ago.

Out of all the things we took for them to look at yesterday, most of it returned home with us. I will try selling them on the online shop I plan to open within a month or so. Stay tuned...son wants use of computer. Gotta run.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8377272

You can check out some fashion jewelry prices here
http://www.collectorsindex.com/index.htm
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 17, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8377331

Thanks Jen, I will definitely check it out.

Ruby
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8377855

Interesting sight. I expected things from the 60's and older would be worth more.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8377930

Thanks, FowAjen---

I bookmarked this site. Sent it to a slew of people too.

I thunk we all have jewelery from our Moms and our own youth days...
Never know...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8377963

I would so love to see all the jewelry you guys have...I used to be assistant merchandiser at JCP in the jewelry dept years ago...loved it!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8378048

Jen--

My daughter, Aina, worked at "Impostors" (do you know that store--now gone?)
It was a glitzy, faux gold everything...SOOO beautiful!
She loaded up on glittery "gold" jewelery and rings. SOOO many!

She was also a asst. manager at JCP here--but of the merchandising/design team.

Now she works as a designer at our local IKEA---5 minutes from my house...

Small World! Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8378279

Imposters sounds familiar
How long did she work for JCP?
I was there for 13yrs worked my way up from part time to senior merchandiser and on district buying team of children's division. The only thing I miss about working retail is doing the buys and floor lay outs...so much fun,
customers and dealing with the associates...not so much
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8378463

I finished cleaning off the metal shelf that has been sitting in the storage bedroom for the last year or two. Ric moved it outside to the garage yesterday. I was so good There were 3 bags of pamphlets, magazines and fliers that had been picked up at garden and home shows. You know how you get a bag and pick up interesting info and put it in the bag as you walk around. Well these bags were brought home set on those shelves and never picked up again. I started out tossing vendors info and then started looking at the interesting info stuff and as I was thinking where do you want to put this I realized that I hadn't looked at it in a year or two and any info I could get online so I tossed all of it. Really all three bags went out with the recycle.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 18, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8378815

Holly, much of the paper clutter I have been ridding myself of is of the same sort. I have a tendency to pick up travel brochures/area attractions whenever we visit a new area. I could start a welcome center for some states. The only ones I held on to and didn't trash were from Cape Cod. The pictures in some of these were beautiful enough that I will be looking at them again and again. Others went bye bye. Good work and keep up the good work girlie.

Jen, I had you on my mind the other day when selling the silver pieces. One piece I almost took back and now really wish that I had and let you take a look see. It was a sterling silver, unknownst to me till that day, bracelet. It looked much like the marcasite that you said you loved so much. I purchased it at JCP a few years back and I never wore it even once. I almost took it back after they werighed it and am now kicking myself that I didn't bring it home.

Interesting employment back ground Jen. I would be in bad, bad trouble trying to work all day around jewelry. It was very difficult for me to be around all of the beautiful things where we sold the other day and not purchase anything. Here I am trying to get rid of jewelry and just this week ordered a pair of earrings from another Dave's member who makes them.

During all of this going through old items I found a few things that I have had for at least fifty years. I let my sterling silver charm bracelet go the other day minus a majorette whose baton twirled. I brought her home with me. I had so much fun being a chubby baton twirler as a child. It will bring back pleasant memories each time I see this piece.

I am glad that your love of jewelry has lasted even though not currently employed in the field Jen. Your love of it most likely made you excellent at the job. I would probably be good at it, but be in the poor house at the same time if I were to try workiing with it.

Thank you ladies for the fun this thread is. Love it, love it.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8379151

LOL Ruby I have not started going thru my travel papers yet. I was thinking about it as the largest drawer in my desk is filled with maps, books and brochures from our many trips. Not to mention several piles in other parts of the house. I may start going thru them and at least organizing them. Just really happy to have gotten rid of the Garden/Home Show papers and I will try very hard not to pick up too much at the shows this spring.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8379337

Hand raised here!
I have a basket of day trip ideas clipped while the kids were growing up and never went to any of them. and brochures of things yo =maybe= do next time through Tennessee etc. They all should go! I just tossed one old catalog of bulbs- had saved it for possible reference, but like Holly said, if I want to research it is so easy with Internet.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8379409

Raising BOTH hands here---like--"I give up"! I have not taken any touristy trips in,
maybe since 1988.

I have so many things----most of all--non-stop Geographic magazines--
from 1963-1990--when we separated.
I got all freaked out about spending $$$$ and stopped the subscription.
Eventually--I resumed it---and now they are laying all over --everywhere--again!

And--YES! I also have all kinds of travel brochures...Maybe it is so I can travel
in my mind...same as I make shopping lists to all the Grocery Stores every week--
and feel I have been there shopping--nebulously...Then I toss the lists...
Do this every week...

Jen--My daughter, Aina, worked for JCP for many years.
First--when they lived in Tennessee. Then THAT JCP closed--and Aina put out
applications to any others that might hire her.
Of all the places that replied--was a JCP store here--outside of Baltimore. At Hunt Valley mall.

SO! I guess Aina has been now with the company about as long as you were.
She has lived here (In Baltimore) about 10 years now...I was glad to have her back...
Nowadays she works for IKEA--as one of the three designers on the team.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8379865

I saw several pieces that looked familiar so I went and looked in my Mom's Jewelry box and there they were! Mom had some really nice pieces of jewelry. Some real but most costume. I can't believe how cheap some of those pieces were that were over 50 years old!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8380215

I also had one (similar) that was at the bottom of the "pins/Brooches" list.
That 1/12" little knife that pulls out from the sheath. Theirs was all decorated...
mine is just solid silver...So cute! I bought it in 1954 at a thrift shop for 50 cents.

I sent that link to many people...Gita
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8380242

WOW ... how do you 'remember' that stuff????? I have trouble remembering what happened last week

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8380351

Ha..Ha...

I have a tendency to remember prices of things...Maybe I am just money-oriented...

Bought my first stereo console player--solid walnut-- (plays 78's--45's and LP's)
in 1957---Paid $150 for it.
I still have it--sitting all mildewed in my Shop--covered with an old beach towel..
WHY??? I have always lived under the delusional thought that I would like to restore it--
but it ran on "tubes"---hardly available any more...Would cost an arm and a leg...
BUT--once again--I could listen to all my 78"s records...still have those too...
The music I day-dreamed to in my teens...

YEAH--That was delusional too...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 19, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8380456

Gita, I love hearing from you. Always good for a big smile. I like the way you think. I need to figure out the reason for your grocery lists though...that one has me stumped. hahaha I won't share any of my idiosyncrasies as of yet. hahaha To each his own.

John just shakes his head whenever we stop at a welcome center or any place that has attraction brochures because I always load up with things. Most of my are on their way out the door as I find them though. Yep, good old Internet saves some trees again.

Thank you to all who have shared here. It feels good to be in like minded company. I don't feel so strange after all. I am currently working on two glass front bookcases that are storing books and pieces of glassware and pottery that don't belong and don't have other homes within my house.

I came across several brand new, never opened a page books I purchased when thinking of doing some jewelry beading some years back. I am going to try selling them on Amazon or some other site online.

I sent loads of items out the front door last fall to donation. There finally came a time when I realized that with a little effort, I might be able to get some part of my over spending addiction returned by attempting to sell unwanted and un-used items on line, I have been talking about it for months. Am finally getting close enough and organized enough to begin doing the necessary work to start selling.

A side benefit of my de-cluttering the home is that John has developed an interest in also trying to sell some of his many car parts and accessories he has collected over the years. I find that very exciting and will pray that we succeed in our efforts.

When I began the de-cluttering process in earnest I didn't know where it would lead me. So far I have been really pleased with the results of unloading the weightiness of my house. To quote the teens and the hip of today...it's all good.

Ruby
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8381126

Ruby,
I have a friend that does beadwork. What do you want for the books. I'll tell her. Can you post a pic of the covers on here so I can show her?

Patti

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8381286

Ruby---

It is NOT a mystery! The way I think about my Grocery Lists...
It is like--"Pretend Shopping"...I write it down--and mentally--I have gone shopping.
I DON'T need any of those things--as I have all my cupboards and freezers full--
But, I write down the things that are on sale--and I would "like to" buy--but don't need...
Then--I never get around to going shopping...

I do SO MUCH of "self talk" as I go to grocery stores...I stand there and WANT the items--
because they are on sale...THEN--I have a mental debate in my mind
about the "wants" vs. the "NEEDS"...The "wants" usually lose!! I have few "Needs"----
I could live half a year and never starve with all the food I have in my freezers and Pantry.
May just need water and juices and such...OH! AND--Toilet Paper too...:o)

Does this help????

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8381447

Take comfort- I read not too long go that shopping is good mental exercise ! Lots of decisions and comparing things.
(I guess a slong as you don't 'work' the wallet too much at the same time, then "it's all good" ) LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 21, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8383719

Thanks Gita. I just found it odd that you would do it weekly. I am not saying that you are odd, but that practice seems odd to me. Hey, I will definitely be the first to admit to having some odd types of rituals too. I am sure folks that visit my house think I am crazy as I ring a little silver bell I have sitting on a dresser as I enter my bedroom which I ring whenever walking by it. It serves as a reminder for me to pray for safety of my family throughout the day.

At least Gita you are not doing what I have read some other shoppers do. I have read more than once that some women go in to stores and fill their carts with all sorts of goodies they would love to have. They experience the high of getting it all together, and then they leave the buggy parked somewhere and just leave the store. That part I don't go along with, they should have the decency to put the items back, but I kind of liked the idea of doing that and getting the little high that comes with the idea of being able to purchase whatever we want but not having to spend actual money.

Crit, I will dmail you about the books.

Ruby

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8383855

ruby, I like the idea of the little bell. I too pray throughout the day, whenever I happen to think about it. I even say a little 'thank you' when I have green at stoplights. :-)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 21, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8383880

Yep, got you girl. I told a friend of mine some years ago that at the time prayer was so second nature to me that I wouldn't know how to go through the day with out it. I have been known to pray over my car starting and things such as that too. Hey, what is they say...As and ye shall receive. I like that promise.

I have realized lately that I no longer am spending the amount of time that I used to in that stance, so at least having the little bell is a good reminder to give thanks through out the day for my many blessings. Maybe I should put a few more bells in different areas of the home. Hmmmm...

Ruby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America