Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: New year brugmansias

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 128, Views: 872
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 2, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8288693

Have to rush but must post this: my first double seedling, last night.
'Please, don't let it be a white!' I said ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 2, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8288700

Here it is this morning.
It's not white! Same shade of pink as Elfin Pink, so far. I wonder if it will change as the flower matures/subsequent flushes/in cooler weather?
Fragrant, but can't quite identify it yet.
About 1.5m tall, a cross of Phanomenal (a double pink) x Superspot (a single pink), seed courtesy of Mya (many thanks, M!) I will sniff again this evening.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 2, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8289149

Oh wow Cestrum. Congratulations. I'm so glad that it's not white for you but it would still have been lovely. Colleen
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2011
3:02 AM

Post #8289488

How very exciting for you Cestrum...my cross of the same seed gave me doubles however before they could strut their stuff the weather and grasshoppers got to them all...mine sadly is not doing well at all however yours looks like a keeper...well done...have you looked up the skirt to see if there's another one stuffed up there?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 3, 2011
3:39 AM

Post #8289504

Oh cestrum ...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I know just how you feel ^_^

Just look at the length in that dropped skirt !
I am so happy you have your first double, just the start of many yet to come I am sure.

I am so missing my puter and all the chat ...I popped in to say Happy New Year (next door's puter) and I find this wonderful post, it's made my day.

We are still recovering from the hail here but the Brugs are bravely putting out new leaves to replace the shredded ones ...lots of branches broken and chunks ripped out.
It has set some of the blooming behind as the centres were smashed off many.

Still there are always new things to discover and new treasures to love ...more on those later when I get my puter going again (pictures).

Meanwhile Cheers and Congrats to our latest double Angel and congrats to it's grower !
Pssst Mya ...Happy Birthday
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 3, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8290169

That is fab Cestrum!!!!
Congratulations and good luck with this one and all your seedlings. Those you and Chrissy have sent me are all doing fine. Flat out here at present, but looking forward to sharing news in 2011.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8290276

Thanks, everyone, and esp. Mya as the seed was her gift. (BTW, good to hear you haven't been swept halfway across to New Caledonia by all the rain!)

Here it is this morning. The calyx is dry. Too early to say whether this is a permanent problem or just a quirk of the weather. There are only two flowers on the brug, so nowhere near as prolific as any of my other seedlings.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8290279

I looked up the skirt and saw what looked like a tiny deformed skirt within it, but it was only present in one flower. So there will be two skirts only.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8290285

Can't say I'm crazy about the distance between the two outer skirts, the 'dropped skirt'. I'd prefer one skirt to sit directly above the other (just my personal preference). And it's a small flower--here it is next to Knightii, which itself is not a large bloom. (You can see flowers from one of my apricot Joli x Angels Flight seedlings in the background.)

But what I do like is its perfume--unlike any of my others. Not strong, but a lemony sherbet sort of perfume. Quite lovely and unique in my garden. I think this will be a good one to breed from come autumn. (Doesn't seem to have much in the way of pollen at the moment.) Anyway, it's *not* destined for the compost heap :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8290290

Here is my first Golden Butter seedling, father unknown. Scented, but more like the suaveolens than an aurea. It's not as waxy as the GB, although it holds its shape OK in the day and doesn't actually flop like the suaveolens. However, at night it flares open and stands rigid. Perhaps one to breed from, as I reckon this isn't as good as Golden Butter but might be a stepping stone to something better.

PS Does anyone have any crosses of Ludger's Windsong? Because it seems to be producing the most amazing double oranges (sigh) ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8290297

The colour deepened as the bloom matured. (I wonder if it will take on GB's orange colouring in winter?)
Here it is a few days later, with the smaller Golden Butter at right for comparison.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8290300

Same comparison, different angle.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8290309

Finally, here is my second Aztec Gold seedling.
White again. Seems to be scented, though, unlike my first white. And has a bit of a bell shape too.
Still disappointing, of course, although it is an improvement on AG in that it at least has a fragrance that's noticeable in summer. (I thought AG had no scent at all but have found it is marginally fragrant in cooler weather.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8290380

Hello all. Couldn't resist another pic of my GHA in full swing. I can imagine what he will be like as a large tree.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8290396

This is my mystery brug I have been watching. The bud has taken ages to open , probably due to not enough warm weather. The flower was caught up on one side, sort of squished so when you look at the other side, it has a split. Hopefully as it opens fully, it may straighten a bit. There are eight points with small tendrils . I was so surprised , I counted again. I will get a better pic later. It is a lovely creamy yellow and smells delicious. This is my one and only plant from the US seeds from Arghyra Gardens. . Perfect Harmony x The Chief
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 3, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8290398

Again, not a good pic, but I'll get down there later
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 3, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8290464

Jean GHA is spectacular. I still haven't got any buds on mine. I did have one flower on Lipstick but the snails got stuck into it. It was a lovely pink and quite large. The seed pod is still hanging in there. Will need some hints on how to harvest it when the time comes please. I had a dream last night that I had seed pods everywhere on the brugs. It must be getting to me this addiction. Great to see you pop in Chrissy. I hope everything is going well for you. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8290474

Anything with The Chief in it must be a treasure, Jean! Whenever I see a yellow, I wonder if it will turn orange in cooler weather ...

Brug lovers on this forum, I'm drying out some more brug seeds and will have them ready to send out *next week*. Let me know if you want any.

Here are my Knightii crosses (mother Knightii, fathers as follows):
x Ecuador Pink
x Froggy aurea
x Old Apricot

I also have one seedpod on Alistair Pink#2 (the darker pink cross of (Bruce’s Pink x Alphonse Muche), father unknown. I think it might be Aztec Gold. Here's the mother (scented, good flushes of flowers). One seedpod but lots of seeds in it.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8290487

I also have seeds of the following:
Old Apricot x Alistair Pink#1. I posted this photo of the pink after I'd pollinated the flowers. It's lightly scented.

Just to clarify: the photo shows the Alistair Pink#1 flowers just after pollination, but the seeds I'm offering are from Old Apricot, pollinated by Alistair Pink#1. The blooms shown in this photo have indeed set seedpods but they're not mature yet.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 3, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8290670

Cestrum yes please if there's some left over after the experienced girls get theirs. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 3, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8290731

Colleen, where do you find the time and space LOL Wish I had as much! You're on the list, don't worry.

I do like the Alistair Pink#2 (another pic taken this morning is shown below). I wonder what my cross will look like. The thirteen seedlings from Alistair's seeds yielded 11 whites and 2 pinks; only the pinks are keepers.

I've just realised too that Mya's Fifi is also a Phanomenal x Superspot cross. (Fifi is still settling in here. I assumed that the first double seedling to flower would be my cutting of FFA, never thought it would be one of my seedlings.) Of course, I'm intensely curious about what the Knightii seedlings will look like. (Please god, not more single unscented whites!) Just another 18 months or so before we all begin to find out ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 4, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8291405

cestrum, what a wonderful surprise to come onto this new thread to be greeted by your beautiful double and Jean's 8 pointer.Wow
How great are they... I love the long corollas, spaced as they are...terrific that it flowered at such a small size...
Jean, you have a sibling of Clementine and 8 points as well, it looks as though it will get darker...it might go Clem's colour.
GHA is magnificent...mine is growing well...thanks Jean.
Nice to see you pop in Chrissy...how good is all this...
Colleen, your cutting is about to flower for the first time..RFP.
I'm going out to look for more flowers...Adéle Essex will be flowering very soon too.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 4, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8292295

Not a great photo , but you can see the 8 points and some of the split at the side.
There are two more buds opening so it will be nice to see one without the split. The color is still a sort of light gold and the whole flower shape and size remind me of GHA. Very aurea looking even the perfume is similar.
I don't see aurea in the parentage . I may try crossing it with my GHA . Interesting to see what will come from that if I can get pods.
I will try for better photos when the other flowers open.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 4, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8292985

Just picked an Alistair Pink#1 x Old Apricot seedpod, so will have that ready to send next week as well. (This time, the seedpod is on the pink plant, not the apricot one.)
You're already on the list, Colleen :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 5, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8294097

Jean, your flower does have an Aurea look...hope it keeps those 8 pts and gets darker...very pretty as it is though.
My Bruce's Pink flowered and what a lovely flower that is...and so big.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 5, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8294099

Here is another pic.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 5, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8294117

Wow--that is enormous! Just out of curiosity, have you measured it across?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 5, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8294784

No cestrum, I didn't think about it...duh
More opening up soon...will do then.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 5, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8294786

Well, the hand is a good indication. Had no idea it was that big until I saw your hand under it--really puts it into perspective.
A real giant of a beauty :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 6, 2011
1:26 AM

Post #8294843

That's a beauty Dianne. Jean I love the waxy look of yours. I have a Mango cornet nearly out. Ecuador Pink is flowering again, better looking flower this time, not so floppy. Clementine is flowering again. I really love this one, and R,Frosty P is flowering it's head off. The special pod is still hanging on there and the BL------Y grubs and snails are having a find time. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 6, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8295635

Is that the mango, Colleen? Lovely colour. Scent?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 6, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8295783

No Cestrum it's Clementine. Mango isn't out yet. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 7, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8297900

Ah, I thought it looked pretty much 'out' already ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8298372

Hello all. Lovely flowers. This is todays pic of my seedling no. 44 ( perfect harmony x the chief )
This is the first flower with the 8 points and see how dark it has become. Also the edges have really curled up.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8298373

This is the second flower. Only 7 points on this one.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8298375

Third and last flower just fully out today and hasn't darkened as yet. Only 6 points on this one. Getting less points on each one. I hope it does better next time.
Nothing like Clementine. I may have to beg a piece of Clementine to grow and show this one how to do it.
I do like the darker color though. Be nice if it was double. I dabbed some pollen on from GHA so I hope it takes.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 7, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8298383

Fantastic colour, Jean. Looks quite big too--any chance of sticking your hand in a photo to give us an idea of how large it is? I've seen pics of Bruce's Pink before but it was only when Dianne took a photo of the bloom with her hand under it that I realised how big the flower was.

I wonder if it will get even darker in cooler weather ... time will tell, I guess.

Any scent?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 7, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8298391

Jean, maybe someone could send you some pollen from a double...
It looks just like Perfect Harmony doesn't it..
Do you want some pollen from Clementine?
Mine is coming into flower again...I will have to read up on how to store it...can't be too hard.

cestrum, that flower was 8ins wing tip to wing tip...not measuring the tendrils of course...how is your Phanomel x Super Spot seedling?
Anymore buds?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 8, 2011
12:14 AM

Post #8298423

About 20cm then ... it's big, all right.
My double-pink/drop skirted seedling had only 2 flowers and they've both fallen off. Not a heavy flowerer at this stage, hopefully it might be more generous in its blooming as it matures. But, like Jean's orange beauty, it has good genes. The irony is that all those single unscented white seedlings had flush after flush of flowers. Doesn't seem fair LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 8, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8298425

cestrum, will you keep the best of your whites just to keep the genes?...or if it's unscented will it's progeny be the same...that is what I am thinking of when mine eventually flower.
We have such a good gene pool with all those imported seeds plus the good growers from the local ones...do we hold on to a reasonable white because of it's genes?
I suppose that I will for a while anyway.
What about everyone else?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 8, 2011
12:36 AM

Post #8298428

I don't know the answer to the question generally. Specifically, I've been meaning to toss those unscented single whites out for months! But the wretched things keep putting out another flush of flowers and so keep getting a reprieve. You'll probably end up doing the same, at least with your early batches of seedlings when they're still a novelty.

Personally I'd keep the seedlings with good genes (such as The Chief genes in Jean's seedling) even if the seedling itself didn't seem very promising. (Not that this applies to Jean's seedling--it's a keeper.)

I wish I knew if the unscented ones could still yield scented progeny if they were crossed with the right brug. (And what would be the right brug, anyway? So much seems to be guesswork.) If you were ruthless, you'd toss out any that weren't an improvement in some way on either/both parents I think. But someone with some real knowledge on the topic will have to answer these questions ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 8, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8298480

Mango Cornet is here. Lovely perfume, different to all the others, and lovely long tendrils. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 8, 2011
2:06 AM

Post #8298481

Ecuador Pink Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 8, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8299218

Cestrum, the scent of # 44 is very much like GHA only not as strong. You can see my hand in the earlier pic further up the thread. Its not a big flower. Very thin and loose around the calyx. It does resemble Perfect Harmony but has that real curled edge as it colors up.
I was hoping to see a double but no luck . Chrissy has the other sibling . I will watch mine and see if it sets a pod.
I will try a cutting of Clemntine if someone would please send a bit. Cuttings do better here for me as the cold season is far too long , It takes years for mine to Y and flower from seed. This seedling #44 was started way back in 2008.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 8, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8299413

I see your hand, Jean, thanks. 'Smells like GHA' means that classic aurea fragrance I guess, described as honey/almond. We all want coloured doubles LOL But that's still a pretty brug and has good genes--I'd be breeding from it if it were mine.

Seeds are slow for me too. All those unscented single whites were sown in May 2008 and while the first flowered in 13 months, most took 17 months. No, that's wrong--the first one flowered 20 months after sowing, and most only flowered for the first time around 25 months. Over two years--I knew it took a long time! Can't help you with Clementine, I'm afraid, as I don't have it ...

Colleen, you've done well with Ecuador Pink. In my garden I find it needs coddling--lots of water and fertiliser--and mine's looking spindly despite the warmth and water. Just not a good grower for me ...

This message was edited Jan 9, 2011 9:53 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 8, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8299489

Jean and Cestrum, would you both like a piece of my Clementine? Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 8, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8299495

That's very generous of you, Colleen. I'll have to enjoy it vicariously I'm afraid. I wish we could smell it via the computer, though!

More on time to flower: that double pink with the dropped skirt of mine was sown in April 2009 and flowered for the first time this month, so that's 21 months ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 8, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8299505

It does smell wonderful. Mango cornet has a completely different smell, EP is a spindly plant but is flowering nicely. The flowers are much better this time, not so floppy. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 8, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8299520

It's hard to categorise the fragrances, isn't it? (I still haven't been able to describe that Radermachera of mine.) Chrissy has the rare ability to do it well--she can always find something to compare a fragrance with ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 8, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8299539

Thank you Colleen. Love to have a piece of Clem.
I would describe the scent of GHA as honey based. Lovely to me anyway. Sort of heady like a light touch of gardenia in there somewhere.
I will be keeping my #44 as I want the genes of The Chief to hang around. As soon as it is big enough to cut, I will supply pieces to those interested . Remind me later as it has a way to grow yet.
I have just taken the whole top off Musketeer. He gets spider mite all the time. Luckily it doesn't seem to spread to the others much. I spray with eucalyptus oil & water , which seems to keep them down on the others.
I may toss Musketeer if he doesn't improve. I had this all last year with him too. He is a very spindly grower too. I am watching buds on Elfin and Frosty.
My candida seedling from French seed has just Y'd.
Things are going on with my brugs now. There are a lot of yellowing leaves falling off as the heat annoys them a bit. I usually take the lower ones off anyway. Easier to water when they are all in pots. Didn't work out putting any in the ground . Too cold and wet in winter for them here .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 8, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8300002

Mango Cornet is lovely, Colleen...is it a true yellow like the pic.

A lot of mine, particularly Pink Panther are looking very pale at the moment..I suppose with all the odd weather I can't blame them.
I have been spraying with a foliar spray...I think that I might alternate it with Seasol...

They are nearly all full of buds, so when they stop for a rest, I will feed them as well...
RFP...is a big fat bud, Colleen...hope it hurries up.

What are the parents of your French seed, Jean?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 9, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8300864

I have no idea as to what the French seed is Dianne. I bought some seeds from there and the seed was included as a gift. It was just marked as Candida X.
The plant has grown slowly over the few years and is only just now making its first Y.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 9, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8301732

Very interesting...Jean...that makes your Brug a French mystery...n'est-ce pas?

The snails have made a nice old mess of a lot of my flowers...they really like the Bruce's Pink...makes you wonder where they hide when it isn't raining...the little loves climb right to the highest flower and munch a biggggggg hole...

Judy, if you are reading this, your cuttings are growing very well...
Wayne, how are your gardens handling the wet?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 9, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8301764

Mango Cornet deepening in colour now. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 11, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8303930

Can you pollenate a flower with a flower on the same bush? eg Clementine with Clementine. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 11, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8305613

Colleen, a very few species brugs are self-fertile but I believe the hybrids (e.g. Clementine) are all self-sterile, so you'll need to pollinate it using the pollen of another type of brug.

I've ventured into the garden for the first time in several days and this deluge that has wreaked so much havoc across the state has ironically done no damage to the garden. In fact, things are looking green and lush and growing so quickly I might need a machete soon to get beyond the back steps. I've just picked some more brug seedpods:
--Knightii x Big floppy apricot [Joli x Angels flight]--a precious few seeds
--Knightii x Alistair pink#2 (see pic earlier in the thread)--ditto
--Big floppy apricot [Joli x Angels flight] x Old Apricot--one large seedpod, lots of seeds inside. (Yes, apricot x apricot. I'm guessing this will yield more apricot! But maybe something orange-ish if we're lucky? One can hope ...)

Colleen, I'll assume you want some unless you tell me otherwise. I'll also send some to Chrissy as she can't get to a computer now ...

Forgot to say that no seeds went out this week because of the floods, but I hope to have these seeds in the mail next week when--fingers crossed--things have settled down across the state.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 12:02 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 12, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8307591

Isn't she beautiful? Riverland Frosty Pink. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 12, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8307679

Yes Colleen, she certainly is a very pretty Brug...my bud is almost out...I see little tendrils poking out...

They sound like interesting crosses cestrum...especially your Apricot to Apricot...I would love to volunteer to grow some out for you but I have to ease up for a while and grow the seeds that I have already started...
So I will watch your's, Chrissies and Colleen's progress with them...The strength of OA hopefully will improve the floppiness and that plus the Joli genes might give you a pink/peachcolour...with a bit of luck...It's nice to dream..
I fantasize about all of mine...
At the moment everything out in this rain has lost it's flowers, it's been raining for days...Knightii, Clementine are under cover, so they are in flower as soon will be RFP.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 18, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8318194

Hi guys I am a southern Brugmansia enthusiast and have been lurking and admiring all your wonderful plants for a little while now.

Very impressive, beautiful hybrids you guys have been making. ;)
I believe Brugmansia arborea is (or is often) self-fertile (but it can also can freely cross with other arborea and with sanguinea to make B. x flava/rubella)
i don't think many (any?) of the other species are self-fertile, but I guess it may happen rarely.

I can't wait for my seedling knightii x's to flower, hopefully there will be doubles amongst them.

Unfortunately love of Brugmansia is not universal, and our hobby is under threat.
I just came across word of a ridiculous proposal that would ban cultivation of Brugmansia and Datura species (along with many other plants) in Australia.
under "...the expanded list of plant and fungi species under the model schedule for controlled plants" in the "model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences".
this would make cultivation of these plants a drug offence, like growing dope!

To write in opposition to the proposal, submit a submission before March 11, 2011. *

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Consultationsreformsandreviews_ConsultationonimplementationofmodeldrugschedulesforCommonwealthseriousdrugoffences

Cheers.

*edit: sorry i meant 2011, of course!! it's not too late.

Please also sign this online petition to campaign against this absurd proposal:

http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/60819-campaign-ideas/suggestions/1384297-stopping-the-federal-illegalisation-of-thousands-o?ref=title

This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 9:52 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 18, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8318254

Lucas13. I just rang our local police and asked them about it and they said that they had too many other things, eg bushes that look like tomatoes but don't have any tomatoes on, to worry about. He said you grow your Angel's trumpets and enjoy them. It doesn't look like I will be worried by the police here, thankfully. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 18, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8318261

The bureaucrats are in danger of making criminals of us innocent fragrance-loving gardeners, what with outlawing the three hedychiums and now this new threat (sigh). But I think you're right, Colleen--the police have their hands full as it is.

So Lucas, are these Knightii crosses you've bred yourself? What did you cross them with and how old are the seedlings? What other brugs do you have?

This message was edited Jan 19, 2011 2:57 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 18, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8318325

Sorry, I have edited my post re: typo. I of course meant 2011, so it's not too late!

If this passes it would mean anyone in possession of a Brugmansia plant would be a criminal.
It would subsequently restrict the movements of these beautiful plants.

anyway
I have:

knightii
candida peach
suaveolens pink, white
frosty pink
aurea yellow (possibly 2 clones)
aurea culebra (and seedlings but w/normal leaves)
burnt gold
peaches and cream (maya? variegated)
sanguinea (several clones)
arborea (tiny seedlings)
suaveolens white x knightii (seedlings 1month old)
aurea x knightii (seedlings 1 month old)

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8318345

Looks like I'm well on the way to becoming a hardened criminal then ... along with everyone else on this forum LOL

That's a good collection of brugs. I'm guessing that you'll eventually aim to breed your own B. x flava/rubella. (How could you not--I would if I had the climate.)

I notice that your Knightii crosses have Knightii pollen, whereas all mine have Knightii as the pod parent. Chrissy has said that having the double as the pod parent might increase the chances of having double offspring, but in my case it's happened that way only because my Melbourne Knightii brug doesn't seem to produce much pollen itself. Yet it's been remarkably receptive to donor pollen.

I've already packed my Knightii-cross seeds to post out (Colleen--I still haven't gotten to the PO: tomorrow, I promise) but I have a few seeds left of Knightii x Alistair pink#2 [Bruce's Pink x Alphonse Muche]. Dmail me your postal address if you want them.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 19, 2011
12:18 AM

Post #8318390

Thanks Cestrum.

I am unsure as to why but I have found that sometimes knightii produces a lot of pollen, yet sometimes none at all. I think it depends on the weather.
Same as most brugs.

What is "Melbourne knightii"? Are there different clones? I thought they were all the same. I have a few from different places I have not tried to cross them yes as I thought that they were all the same (and if there are diff clones mine still may be the same).

Yes, I plan to make a flava when my arborea mature but it is a way off now.

does anyone have vulcanicola? Probably a big ask, lol.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 19, 2011
1:56 AM

Post #8318405

Lucas13 I have a Sanguinea that I have pollinated with Arborea. The seed pod is not far off harvesting. It will be time to celebrate when I get to see if there are any viable seeds. I haven't heard of anyone having vulcanicola but I would be interested to know anyone else growing these cold brugs. I also pollinated Mango Cornet with Riverland Frosty Pink and Butter Bomb with the same. We'll see if I've done the job properly. Cestrum I thought that MC and FP might throw and orange for me. Colleen

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 19, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8318421

Nice work with the hybrid, Colleen. :)

Some people here do have the x flava/rubella.
I saw one flowering in Vic but badly virus infected.
Have also heard of them being in SA and Tas.

here are some seeds from an Oz online nursery vendor:

http://www.herbalistics.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=3_12&products_id=578

I used to have a yellow Sanguinea but it died in the heatwave last summer. Yamina rare plants sell the yellow, as do Dicksonia.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 19, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8319381

Lucas13...what did you cross your Culebra with?
Is Culebra the pod or pollen parent?
Sounds as though you are right into Brugs...
Where abouts in Vic are you?
Glad you have joined us...we didn't know about the planned banning of Brugs.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 19, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8319400

Forgot to add...haven't heard of anyone with B. vulcanola...unless they are keeping it under wraps..lol

The general thought is with the Knightii...Melbourne as opposed to Sydney...they are all from the original plants..but growing with slight differences as they acclimatize over the years in different temperatures and conditions...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 19, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8319514

I am in south east Melb.

Culebra is the pod parent.
I can't believe it is fertile. Crossed with a yellow aurea.
Low seed viability.
The seedlings are tiny but they so far appear to have normal leaves.
I wonder what the flowers will be like?

Interesting throughts re: knightii.
I read somewhere I think it was here actually that all double fl brugs are decended from knightii is this true? amazing.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 19, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8319676

Butter Bomb is putting on the ritz again. Lovely little flower. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 19, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8319711

Lovely blooms, Colleen, and doing so well for you.

Posted my seeds at last, so they should reach you all next week. I now have only two pods left on my two Knightii brugs--one on the Melbourne plant, one on the Ipswich. Both have been pollinated with my big floppy apricot seedling [Joli x Angels Flight]. The Knightii brugs came from the two different cities, and I wanted to see if there were any differences between them. They seem to be pretty much identical and I can't even judge if one is perhaps more fertile than the other because autumn is the best time for cross-fertilisation here, and my Ipswich Knightii (being only a young cutting) only started blooming in late winter/early spring here. (So all my Knightii crosses are from the Melbourne plant, except for this first yet-to-be harvested pod on the Ipswich plant.)

BTW, Alistair did say that all doubles are descended from Knightii.

My big floppy apricot seedling is laden with more seedpods so there will be more than any of us could use when they ripen ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 20, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8321161

Anyone please help. The stalk on my seed pod on sanguinea has gone brown. The pod is still green. Is it supposed to do this? Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 20, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8321248

Photo, Colleen? Sometimes the stalk withers before the seedpod matures. Does it look as if it's about to fall off?
Anyway, there's nothing you can do. But, if the seedpod does fall off the plant, you'll need to open the pod to see if the seeds look large enough to be viable. I don't know if sanguinea seedpods are supposed to turn brown when ripe (as my brugs do). They might well be ripe/almost ripe inside. As I said, though, nothing you can do ...

On second thought, you could try to support the pod with the toe part of a stocking tied to the branch, to try and keep the seedpod attached to the stem for as long as possible, giving the pod time to mature ...

This message was edited Jan 21, 2011 10:54 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 20, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8321311

Have got a pic of it for you Cestrum. I'm not game enough to touch it to put a stocking over it. I'll see what you think of the pic first. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 20, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8321348

Where is Alistair when you need him LOL

But look here: http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17805&st=125

Apparently sanguinea pods don't turn brown like other brugs. I think that link should give you the info you need.

PS How long since your sanguinea was pollinated? I checked my (German) brug book and it says that the pod should be ready to harvest (although still green on the outside) 8 months after pollination. Although I wonder if it takes that long in Aussie conditions ...

This message was edited Jan 21, 2011 11:51 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 20, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8321464

Cestrum I've been thinking the same thing all along about whether the pod will take as long to mature in our heat. It was pollinated about mid September [by 2 little boy hawk moths and a large female hawk moth] lol I hope I don't lose it. Alistair if you're looking in can you please comment. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 20, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8321483

If you can't wait, maybe post your query on the brug forum at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/brugsetc/all/
There are bound to be people there growing sanguineas in a similar climate ...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 20, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8321670

Does it rattle when you shake it Colleen?
if yes I have found this seems to indicate when the seeds are ready.
If you leave the pod on there too long they can even germinate inside the seedpod (had that happen).
Cheers.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 20, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8321674

well wait for one of the experts to comment before harvesting... but from where i'm sitting by the look of that photo the stem of the seedpod looks quite shrivelled and doesn't look to be providing it with any more nutrition? just my 2c

how exciting. Flava here we come! :)
hopefully some viable seeds in there.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 20, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8321678

Lucas I'm just waiting to hear from the king of the cold brugs, Allan Hurstwood, before I do anything. I'm not game enough to touch it let alone shake it. lol Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 21, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8322526

Hi Lucas. Have you explored your Dmail option on this site? If not, go to the tab at the top of this page "my tools". Click on, then look for Dmail option in the right hand side of the page that comes up.
Cestrum, all your seedlings are up except the B.knightii x noid. Doing fine except for the odd chomp here and there. The nursery plants are all in 300mm pots. Again doing fine despite the pests. Most aurea cvs are prone to mites. :(
Here is 'Clementine'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 21, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8322706

I would like to formally inform you that I am the proud Mamma of 21 little Sanguinea X Arborea seeds born at 7.30am this morning. You're not going to believe this but when I went to check it this morning it had dropped on the ground. I cut it open and there was a heap of brown matter inside and a BL-------Y bug racing around inside. My heart sank, but I sorted through the matter and have come up with 21 seeds which have kernels inside. Now the harder part, to grow them. Here's a pic of them and if you look hard you can see the hole in the left-hand side husk where the bug got in. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 21, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8322754

Congratulations! (And what a relief.) So much to look forward to with your new B. flava/rubella seeds. My mind is already swirling with images of gelati-coloured flowers LOL

Wayne, I checked my records and that Knightii pod had a poor germination rate. Out of 13 seeds sown, 3 germinated and only 2 of those survived. Possibly one of the worst germination rates for any Knightii pod so far. However, I have just picked the first (and only) pod from my Ipswich Knightii x Big floppy apricot [Joli x Angels Flight]--yell out if you want seeds from that. At the very least, they're well bred :-)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 23, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8326176

Nice one Colleen, now to sprout & grow em out ;)

Your' right on the mites on aurea types, Wayne.
In dry summer areas (here most years) they can really suffer and defoliate.
I find sanguinea and suaveolens are also very mite-prone, as well as also not coping with the heat as well as aurea.

That Clementine is a stunner. :)

I strongly urge everyone here to make a submission to the govt about the proposal, time is ticking away and we don't want our hobby to be made illegal.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8332413

Ummmm testing

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8332417

Surprise from hubby ...a new puter ...kinda bald trying to figure it out though so bear with me ok.
Back afterwards.
Jean this is one of yours B x A ...just after the rotten hail storm ...battered and bruised but still wonderful!
It is heavy waxy and still butter yellow after 4 days, horrible weather but it put up a fight and I am impressed ^_^
Oh and it smells as beautiful as GHA.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 26, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8332454

Hello Chrissy. You've been sorely missed. What is the white brug? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8332559

hi Colleen the double white is Heart of Gold blooming in high heat ...no golden heart while this 40C + is happening.
She is still beautiful and has dropped her skirt. Her delicious lemon buttercake fragrance is still there though.
I have missed so much excitment ...just look at all the pretty Brugs and just think how wonderful they will be in kinder weather.

Summer can be fairly savage and in some Brugs they will just shut down until the temp is more agreeable.
It's heartening to see some of them actually prefer this heat.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8332567

Cestrum the doubles seem to need twice the time to settle in and do their best.
We cannot expect miracles in these Summer conditions.
After the hail trashed so many buds etc then came the awful heat beating down on the damaged and naked Angels.
Hence more trauma and bud drop.
But they are tough and will recover.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8332577

lucas13 ...a big hello to you ...we love Brug Lurkers to pop out from behind those angel leaves and join us, if you love Brugs you surely have come to the right place. ^_^
I am wrapped in this butter bright double ...it had 4 blooms that were trashed in the hail leaving this one to thrill me as the inner skirt started to drop.
It bloomed at 3/4 ft too.
Very strong ...very waxy ...^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8332582

Well folks I guess I am yapping too much again but I have been denied my beautiful "fix" of Angels and their fans for quite a while.
Here is poor TT after the hail trashed the front of it ... she is still such a darling.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8332595

Ummmm I think that may do for now ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8332604

I await my prison term for making beautiful Brugmansias ^_^

Along with a few hundred other Brug lovers and gardeners.
Better get my knitting needles out I guess.

They will take mine away over one battered and bruised nanna.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8332623

Hello Chrissy. We missed you. I have a lovely surprise here. My Perfect Harmony x The Chief was not much of a flower but I played cupid with pollen from GHA and there are 3 pods forming. Now all I can do is wait and cross fingers. This will be my first lot of pods on any brug. GHA puts out heaps of pollen. I have had flowers on Frosty, now I have buds coming on Alphonse, another Frosty and one of the seedlings from USA.
They are all growing madly with this weather. Not overhot and plenty of showers. Of course, summer may still turn up here and cook us all over the next month or so. I hope not as I love this spring/autumn type weather.
I now have all the brugs in good size pots except one which has put roots down in the ground. I will leave it for now and repot later in case it decides to flower.
I still have on esmall spindly cutting growing in the greenhouse. It has done absolutely nothing in all the time it has been here. I think it was from you Chrissy , maybe two years ago. It is labelled as Big Stripey. I may toss it.
I have a jungle of Iochromas around the place. I just put them all in the ground and left them to do their own thing. Boy did they, with all this rain, they are over 6' high and just as wide too. I ended up with a long thin red, long thin dark purple, white bell shape and a pinkish mauve bell shape. Better get off here and go feed them now I have talked about them.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8332686

Jean yes my Iochromas have gone nuts too and like the Angels the colours are different in different weather ...the lilac one is a much deeper colour as is the Coral coloured one. they are full of "fruit" too. Oops more triffids I think ^_^
Those crosses sound great!
As soon as this heatwave moves on I will send you bits of your babies and a couple of others you wanted.
it's still so very hot here and like a sauna.
Still I don't want to moan because I am not flooded like the poor folks in other places.
The first seedling BxA of your German seeds is an ivory colour in this heat instead of it's pretty yellow ...but the double yellow from the same cross is a luscious buttery yellow and with no change in it's colour. You will love it!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 27, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8332895

Just in case you did not see this ...

* statement from the Acting Minister for Home Affairs*

"Implementing nationally consistent lists of illegal drugs and drug ingredients is important to stopping the drug trade across Australia.
We recognise that some ingredients used for manufacturing illegal drugs are contained in commonly occurring plants.
However, claims that backyard plants will be banned or their growers prosecuted are ridiculous.
The Commonwealth’s drug laws target people who are involved in the illicit drug trade. This will continue to be the case.
Most of the substances to be included on the new lists are already deemed to be illegal and have been for some time."

This is true and nobody here is questioning those laws. It is the implimentation of including the PLANTS (specifically- Any plant that contains!!!) which is why people are so upset. The purified, extracted and in many cases even harvested materials are already illegal and provide sufficient policy for law enforcment. By making the actual plants illegal You are going to make 1000's of Native australian plants illegal!! I bet there would even be many on the grounds of parliment house right as we speak! Also, ontop of this... The scheduling includes CALCIUM, yes calcium!!! Titanium, magnesium and a few other rediculous additions to the previous sceduling, which included more sensible things like metallic sodium or pseudoephedrine. However, to include these new things will make gardening lime and brickies lime illegal. How do u propose we make concrete? Wat of the dairy industry and there evil Extra calcium milks? Obviously these proposed changes were written by someone with no expertise or even it seems a basic IQ over 50

Taken from the site in question.
It's interesting don't you think?
Back to our Brugs ^_^
An Arborea in bloom and in fruit even at 40C ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 27, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8333711

How stunning, Chrissy.
Does arborea flower during the cooler months too?
Can you hybridise it with a sanguinea? A bit out of season for that one though.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 27, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8333728

Lucas that is what I crossed my sanguinea with in September and got the seeds last week. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 27, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8333799

lucas my Arboreas spot bloom all through the year.
Yes I am surprised too because they are supposed to be cool climate sort of ...I think so long as they are fairly sheltered from the afternoon sun they do ok.
Don't over water like the the others though, when they were babies I had to throw some peroxide over some of the the roots of the wetter pots to save them from rotting. It was raining all the time back then.
Always use a very free draining mix.
Alistair told me not to overfeed these ones so I don't.
I love it because it smells of 4711 cologne which is very refreshing.

Colleen I hope you do well with your seeds ...Brian had quite a few of the Arborea seed grow out so you can really get into it when they bloom.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

January 27, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8334071

Great to hear that arborea flowers sporadically throughout the year, I can't wait for my seedlings to hurry along and grow up!

haha yes Colleen I know what it is, I just was wondering if Chrissy had sanguinea to cross it with, but then figured it's out of season for that one now isn't it.
Actually having said that I just had a sanguinea flower not long ago, it flowered completely yellow on a regular red and yellow flowering plant! almost as if the heat had bleached out the red colour...

I was also thinking maybe flava/rubella would perhaps be more heat tolerant and suited to warmer climates like Qld where sanguinea does not perform well? Then you Northerners too can benefit from the 'gelati-coloured' flowers :D

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 27, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8334243

Chrissy, I have buds on Butterbomb. Can't wait for flowers. It is warming up down here so I may get good color.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8334483

Butter Bomb will always be a gold plated Brug!
You will just love it Jean ^_^
It isn't at it's best right now but still scents the Summer nights and mornings ...you only need a couple to enjoy it's yummy fragrance.
This is lovely too and you can see it's Genes in Butter Bomb.
Aztec Gold and Bucks Fizz ...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2011 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8334485

I had beautiful bright yellow Aztec Gold blooms until the Hail trashed them ...another one to love.
Here is a shy Crinoline ...too hot!!!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8335574

Jean I forgot to say that the stripey cutting I sent you was identified as almost pure versicolor by Alistair and that means it needs heat. Keep it until it has had some warmth. It carries that delicious sharp lemon scent too!
We often hear the E.Pink is a bit touchy and I suspect it requires a bit of heat to be happy due to it's versicolor genes.

Your new multiple pointed bloom is exciting because it may just be a bit distressed because it may have started in cool temps. Blooms started in cold temps may be a bit distorted (like Clementine) in the earliest flush or two until they "start"in warmth.

We will be looking forward to seeing it's progress ...it will be exciting.

lucas Alistair has the cool climate ones and is breeding them to each other ...he is out of the Country at the moment (about his new Brug book I think ) but I am sure he will be able to help you. ^_^

This message was edited Jan 29, 2011 8:37 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 28, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8335773

Thank you Chrissy. It will be interesting to see if the pods ripen and we get seeds from that 8 pointer and the other two.
It will be genes from The Chief anyway, which is great. Crossed with my GHA it should make a very nice gold flower.
I will keep the stripey noid because as you say it must like heat as it is looking better . I will put it down the back with all the others to encourage it to do well.
I must say, my Elfin does quite well in the cool but does lose all the leaves in real cold.
More buds coming , this time on the Colin noid.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8335806

I would cross that 8 pointer with Butter Bomb who throws many 6 and 7 points.
Yes Elfin Pink likes it a bit milder so enjoys that cooler blooming.
Old Stripey is a nice bloom ...it came from Mya.
Don't forget an above the Y will be spindly compared to a trunk cutting ...later it will throw up shoots which will be sturdy.
Good luck with it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2011
2:10 AM

Post #8338130

I don't know if this will work ...I hope it will.
http://cubits.org/Brugmansia/articles/view/458/
This is a wonderful piece on making standards from your Brugs.

Gosh what a scorcher today!
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8338671

Good demo Chrissy. We have found large prunnings up to 100mm across have taken root when left to rot down in the compost area. Some of these have been potted up as instant trees for friends. One (an aurea) behind the shed has been allowed to grow!
Liked the tip regarding peroxide in the water as a disinfectant.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8339554

A double yellow, Chrissy? How wonderful! What is BxA?

I've finally begun removing those unscented single white seedlings, sown in May 2008. Here's the bed before I began.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8339560

Here's the WIP. You can see that the seedlings were originally planted in grey buckets, but the roots grew threw the drainage holes (sometimes splitting the bucket) and into the ground. Some of the seedlings were 6m tall, so I had to saw of the trunks before digging out the roots.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8339567

Look at how the roots split the bucket. In some cases, the roots grew over the top of the bucket too. Sometimes the branches grew over the bucket and along the ground. In fact, my Alistair Pink#2 has rooted from one of those horizontal ground branches.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8339574

Here are the trunks. If I leave them lying where they are, some of them will begin to root into the ground. So I'll try to mulch whatever will fit and cut the rest up into smaller pieces to fit into the wheelie bin.
It's always the brugs you don't want that end up rooting!

I also discovered that, of the 13 seedlings, 3 of them have not yet flowered ... sown in May 2008!
I guess that I'll leave them to flower, as they've been growing so long ...

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 12:41 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8339583

Here's my Golden Butter a few weeks ago. This is the first flower in ages (the one shown earlier in the thread, as a comparison for the GB-cross seedling, was from a friend's garden). The plant has sulked since I roughly dug it out of its original no-dig good-soil bed and plonked it in the hard soil in the middle of the murraya hedge.
But it's nothing if not tough ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8339590

Here's Dr Seus X in flower again, growing thru one of my canangas. (Which has yet to flower.)
A sparse bloomer, but pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8339592

Brugmansia floppy apricot#2 in flower again.
Identical shape and colour to #1 and #3, just slightly smaller flowers.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 2:07 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8339595

Here are those seedpods on Floppy apricot#1.
I've just picked the ripe one. It's labelled 'Aztec Gold??' LOL.
The pods are so heavy that they're resting on the ground.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8339598

Finally, as a counterpoint to the first photo in this thread--my drop-skirted double pink seedling--a seedpod from one of those flowers. No idea what it's been pollinated with or whether the seeds will be viable, but I'm hopeful.

Perhaps someone can start a new thread? I'm all out of new brug photos ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8339755

cestrum wow you have been busy!
I am really happy you and your garden are safe ...do you know if Judy escaped the flood?
Colleen said she is ok but that is all.
Who ever has the next Brug bloom should start a new thread
I don't have anything worth a shot right now ...it's too blooming hot! 40C.
Hopefully Feb.won't be as cruel as they predict ...so far this last Winter Autumn Spring and now Summer have been most unkind to my poor Brugs.
The hail was so bad ...about half an hour of golf ball sixed hail pelting down and doing so much damage ...then rotten hot heat that grilled the remains.
Tough plants though as you show in your pics!
I think perhaps Jean may be the one to open the next thread since she is watching some buds ready to open.

Yes a double waxy yellow ...I could not believe my eyes!
It's Bergfeuer (I think the spelling is correct) x Aurea ...the same as the other yellow single.
The difference is that the single that bloomed yellow in milder weather is an ivory colour in this heat while the double opened yellow in the same heat and remained yellow up to day 5 when it closed.
I note somewhere that you asked about Ludgers Windsong ...I have some Angels grown from it.
FFA is one of them of course but I have others too if you want some pieces later (when the weather calms down).
I have nice pictures of some of them but not on this new puter yet.
Here is a pic ...not very good as these ones are pale in the heat but turn an orange in milder weather.
It's a Ludger cross.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8339775

I might grow out 2 seeds from one of your LW seedpods, if you get any Chrissy. Will be interesting to see how the blooms of your double B x A change over the full course of a year. Perhaps these yellow-in-warm-weather flowers might turn orange in cooler weather like your LW seedlings :-) Although they're already pretty as they are ...
No news from Judy. Dalby was badly flooded but, as you can see from my experience here (flood-free in an area that was heavily flooded in parts) this doesn't mean that her house/garden had to be directly affected. Fingers crossed ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 30, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8339816

No pics yet Chrissy, probably be a week or so unless they get a move on. Someone else may have something pretty opening for a new thread.. I have a bergfeuer cross here somewhere. I'll have to go check on the name tags
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 30, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8339867

Cestrum, Chrissy. I spoke to Judy's husband and he said that their home had not been flooded and that everything was fine infact Judy was out in the garden when I spoke to him. Maybe her puter is down. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8339878

That's great news, Colleen!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8339898

Wonderful news!

Thanks Colleen

Ok Jean ...Throwing open to the first Brug bloom to open in someones garden. Please raise the next thread.

Don't forget to gently remove the calyx of any setting pods as I found one of my overlooked pods still in it's calyx with a hole eaten into the pod and nothing but goo inside and lots of poop outside.
I usually do remove them but I didn't realize I had a maturing pod in the calyx until the bottom of the pod had poked out of it.
This was a first for me just goes to show what can happen if you don't. The culprit had already left so I don't know what it was.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8339903

That is good news regarding Judy. I sent a snail mail card a week ago hoping there was a letterbox to receive it!
Yes, very hot here Chrissy. The aureas are sort of OK, 'Clementine' too. However everything else is looking dreadful. We had some nursery time this morning before it became too hot, so potted up Cestrum's Knightii x's from 140 to 200mm pots. They look happy.
This pic was taken of 'Clementine' this Saturday past. It is a lovely compact plant with many blooms and healthy foliage.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8339907

Another of 'Clementine'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8339912

At night time, looks waxy.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8339919

Wow, Wayne--your Clementine looks superb!
Must love its home, I think :-)
Why not start the new thread with one of those--absolutely lovely pics?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8339922

YES ...YES ...YES ...
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 31, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8340654

Doing very well thanks Cestrum, a sunny open position.

New thread as requested:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152520/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America