New year brugmansias

West of Brisbane, Australia

Have to rush but must post this: my first double seedling, last night.
'Please, don't let it be a white!' I said ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here it is this morning.
It's not white! Same shade of pink as Elfin Pink, so far. I wonder if it will change as the flower matures/subsequent flushes/in cooler weather?
Fragrant, but can't quite identify it yet.
About 1.5m tall, a cross of Phanomenal (a double pink) x Superspot (a single pink), seed courtesy of Mya (many thanks, M!) I will sniff again this evening.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Oh wow Cestrum. Congratulations. I'm so glad that it's not white for you but it would still have been lovely. Colleen

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

How very exciting for you Cestrum...my cross of the same seed gave me doubles however before they could strut their stuff the weather and grasshoppers got to them all.....mine sadly is not doing well at all however yours looks like a keeper....well done....have you looked up the skirt to see if there's another one stuffed up there?

Sydney, Australia

Oh cestrum ...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I know just how you feel ^_^

Just look at the length in that dropped skirt !
I am so happy you have your first double, just the start of many yet to come I am sure.

I am so missing my puter and all the chat ...I popped in to say Happy New Year (next door's puter) and I find this wonderful post, it's made my day.

We are still recovering from the hail here but the Brugs are bravely putting out new leaves to replace the shredded ones ...lots of branches broken and chunks ripped out.
It has set some of the blooming behind as the centres were smashed off many.

Still there are always new things to discover and new treasures to love ...more on those later when I get my puter going again (pictures).

Meanwhile Cheers and Congrats to our latest double Angel and congrats to it's grower !
Pssst Mya ...Happy Birthday

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

That is fab Cestrum!!!!
Congratulations and good luck with this one and all your seedlings. Those you and Chrissy have sent me are all doing fine. Flat out here at present, but looking forward to sharing news in 2011.

Thanks, everyone, and esp. Mya as the seed was her gift. (BTW, good to hear you haven't been swept halfway across to New Caledonia by all the rain!)

Here it is this morning. The calyx is dry. Too early to say whether this is a permanent problem or just a quirk of the weather. There are only two flowers on the brug, so nowhere near as prolific as any of my other seedlings.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I looked up the skirt and saw what looked like a tiny deformed skirt within it, but it was only present in one flower. So there will be two skirts only.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Can't say I'm crazy about the distance between the two outer skirts, the 'dropped skirt'. I'd prefer one skirt to sit directly above the other (just my personal preference). And it's a small flower--here it is next to Knightii, which itself is not a large bloom. (You can see flowers from one of my apricot Joli x Angels Flight seedlings in the background.)

But what I do like is its perfume--unlike any of my others. Not strong, but a lemony sherbet sort of perfume. Quite lovely and unique in my garden. I think this will be a good one to breed from come autumn. (Doesn't seem to have much in the way of pollen at the moment.) Anyway, it's *not* destined for the compost heap :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here is my first Golden Butter seedling, father unknown. Scented, but more like the suaveolens than an aurea. It's not as waxy as the GB, although it holds its shape OK in the day and doesn't actually flop like the suaveolens. However, at night it flares open and stands rigid. Perhaps one to breed from, as I reckon this isn't as good as Golden Butter but might be a stepping stone to something better.

PS Does anyone have any crosses of Ludger's Windsong? Because it seems to be producing the most amazing double oranges (sigh) ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The colour deepened as the bloom matured. (I wonder if it will take on GB's orange colouring in winter?)
Here it is a few days later, with the smaller Golden Butter at right for comparison.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Same comparison, different angle.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Finally, here is my second Aztec Gold seedling.
White again. Seems to be scented, though, unlike my first white. And has a bit of a bell shape too.
Still disappointing, of course, although it is an improvement on AG in that it at least has a fragrance that's noticeable in summer. (I thought AG had no scent at all but have found it is marginally fragrant in cooler weather.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Hello all. Couldn't resist another pic of my GHA in full swing. I can imagine what he will be like as a large tree.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This is my mystery brug I have been watching. The bud has taken ages to open , probably due to not enough warm weather. The flower was caught up on one side, sort of squished so when you look at the other side, it has a split. Hopefully as it opens fully, it may straighten a bit. There are eight points with small tendrils . I was so surprised , I counted again. I will get a better pic later. It is a lovely creamy yellow and smells delicious. This is my one and only plant from the US seeds from Arghyra Gardens. . Perfect Harmony x The Chief
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Again, not a good pic, but I'll get down there later
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Jean GHA is spectacular. I still haven't got any buds on mine. I did have one flower on Lipstick but the snails got stuck into it. It was a lovely pink and quite large. The seed pod is still hanging in there. Will need some hints on how to harvest it when the time comes please. I had a dream last night that I had seed pods everywhere on the brugs. It must be getting to me this addiction. Great to see you pop in Chrissy. I hope everything is going well for you. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Anything with The Chief in it must be a treasure, Jean! Whenever I see a yellow, I wonder if it will turn orange in cooler weather ...

Brug lovers on this forum, I'm drying out some more brug seeds and will have them ready to send out *next week*. Let me know if you want any.

Here are my Knightii crosses (mother Knightii, fathers as follows):
x Ecuador Pink
x Froggy aurea
x Old Apricot

I also have one seedpod on Alistair Pink#2 (the darker pink cross of (Bruce’s Pink x Alphonse Muche), father unknown. I think it might be Aztec Gold. Here's the mother (scented, good flushes of flowers). One seedpod but lots of seeds in it.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I also have seeds of the following:
Old Apricot x Alistair Pink#1. I posted this photo of the pink after I'd pollinated the flowers. It's lightly scented.

Just to clarify: the photo shows the Alistair Pink#1 flowers just after pollination, but the seeds I'm offering are from Old Apricot, pollinated by Alistair Pink#1. The blooms shown in this photo have indeed set seedpods but they're not mature yet.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Cestrum yes please if there's some left over after the experienced girls get theirs. Colleen

Colleen, where do you find the time and space LOL Wish I had as much! You're on the list, don't worry.

I do like the Alistair Pink#2 (another pic taken this morning is shown below). I wonder what my cross will look like. The thirteen seedlings from Alistair's seeds yielded 11 whites and 2 pinks; only the pinks are keepers.

I've just realised too that Mya's Fifi is also a Phanomenal x Superspot cross. (Fifi is still settling in here. I assumed that the first double seedling to flower would be my cutting of FFA, never thought it would be one of my seedlings.) Of course, I'm intensely curious about what the Knightii seedlings will look like. (Please god, not more single unscented whites!) Just another 18 months or so before we all begin to find out ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

cestrum, what a wonderful surprise to come onto this new thread to be greeted by your beautiful double and Jean's 8 pointer.Wow
How great are they.... I love the long corollas, spaced as they are....terrific that it flowered at such a small size...
Jean, you have a sibling of Clementine and 8 points as well, it looks as though it will get darker.......it might go Clem's colour.
GHA is magnificent......mine is growing well...thanks Jean.
Nice to see you pop in Chrissy...how good is all this....
Colleen, your cutting is about to flower for the first time..RFP.
I'm going out to look for more flowers....Adéle Essex will be flowering very soon too.

Merino, Australia

Not a great photo , but you can see the 8 points and some of the split at the side.
There are two more buds opening so it will be nice to see one without the split. The color is still a sort of light gold and the whole flower shape and size remind me of GHA. Very aurea looking even the perfume is similar.
I don't see aurea in the parentage . I may try crossing it with my GHA . Interesting to see what will come from that if I can get pods.
I will try for better photos when the other flowers open.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Just picked an Alistair Pink#1 x Old Apricot seedpod, so will have that ready to send next week as well. (This time, the seedpod is on the pink plant, not the apricot one.)
You're already on the list, Colleen :-)

Jean, your flower does have an Aurea look......hope it keeps those 8 pts and gets darker....very pretty as it is though.
My Bruce's Pink flowered and what a lovely flower that is.....and so big.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Here is another pic.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Wow--that is enormous! Just out of curiosity, have you measured it across?

No cestrum, I didn't think about it....duh
More opening up soon...will do then.

Well, the hand is a good indication. Had no idea it was that big until I saw your hand under it--really puts it into perspective.
A real giant of a beauty :-)

barmera, Australia

That's a beauty Dianne. Jean I love the waxy look of yours. I have a Mango cornet nearly out. Ecuador Pink is flowering again, better looking flower this time, not so floppy. Clementine is flowering again. I really love this one, and R,Frosty P is flowering it's head off. The special pod is still hanging on there and the BL------Y grubs and snails are having a find time. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Is that the mango, Colleen? Lovely colour. Scent?

barmera, Australia

No Cestrum it's Clementine. Mango isn't out yet. Colleen

Ah, I thought it looked pretty much 'out' already ...

Merino, Australia

Hello all. Lovely flowers. This is todays pic of my seedling no. 44 ( perfect harmony x the chief )
This is the first flower with the 8 points and see how dark it has become. Also the edges have really curled up.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This is the second flower. Only 7 points on this one.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Third and last flower just fully out today and hasn't darkened as yet. Only 6 points on this one. Getting less points on each one. I hope it does better next time.
Nothing like Clementine. I may have to beg a piece of Clementine to grow and show this one how to do it.
I do like the darker color though. Be nice if it was double. I dabbed some pollen on from GHA so I hope it takes.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Fantastic colour, Jean. Looks quite big too--any chance of sticking your hand in a photo to give us an idea of how large it is? I've seen pics of Bruce's Pink before but it was only when Dianne took a photo of the bloom with her hand under it that I realised how big the flower was.

I wonder if it will get even darker in cooler weather ... time will tell, I guess.

Any scent?

Jean, maybe someone could send you some pollen from a double....
It looks just like Perfect Harmony doesn't it..
Do you want some pollen from Clementine?
Mine is coming into flower again.....I will have to read up on how to store it....can't be too hard.

cestrum, that flower was 8ins wing tip to wing tip....not measuring the tendrils of course....how is your Phanomel x Super Spot seedling?
Anymore buds?

About 20cm then ... it's big, all right.
My double-pink/drop skirted seedling had only 2 flowers and they've both fallen off. Not a heavy flowerer at this stage, hopefully it might be more generous in its blooming as it matures. But, like Jean's orange beauty, it has good genes. The irony is that all those single unscented white seedlings had flush after flush of flowers. Doesn't seem fair LOL

cestrum, will you keep the best of your whites just to keep the genes?....or if it's unscented will it's progeny be the same....that is what I am thinking of when mine eventually flower.
We have such a good gene pool with all those imported seeds plus the good growers from the local ones...do we hold on to a reasonable white because of it's genes?
I suppose that I will for a while anyway.
What about everyone else?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.