Diet Plans - Any recommendations

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

I'e got to lose weight! Having trouble walking any distance, putting too much strain on heart and knee surgery is not healing. I'm thinking Weight Watchers is too involved - I'm not disciplined enough for them - don't want to count anything. Looking for good tasting food, that doesn't not cost a fortune...NutriSystem any good?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I did weight watchers several years ago and really liked it. Once I had a plan in place and worked out the points for my food it was pretty easy to keep track. Took me a couple of weeks getting into the habit of measuring out food portions but it was pretty simple once in place. Do you live near a gym or Y where you can use a pool for your exercise? Walking in water will help exercise the knee while allowing you to keep most of the weight off of it.
Do you live by yourself or do you have other people in the family to feed?

Holly,
Thank. I now live alone and have never eaten three meals a day. I worked outside the home and always went out to lunch. I don't care for bread, so never eat sandwiches. I am too lazy to measure, and calculate every meal. I've read that you need to eat 3 times a day in order to lose eight. So I need some plan that will furnish 3 meals and snacks etc.

During the summer months, I planned on exercising in my pool and actually did manage to get into the pool about 8 times the last month of warm weather. I bought an elliptical machine, but knee is not quite strong enough to push the foot petal yet. Slowly getting better on it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm retired now but when I was working I ate 3 meals a day two snacks and a small evening treat. Since I retired 4 years ago I have fallen into bad habits of not eating and drinking a lot of soda with snacks. Right now I am working on cutting out the soda. I drink a lot of fruit juice when I cut back on soda but although they are healthier than soda they are full of calories too. So the first step for me is to cut down on the soda and then cut back on the fruit juice till I am only drinking water. I am very lucky that my DH does all the shopping & cooking and is very helpful in providing me with healthy food. If it was just me by myself I would be looking for something like you are. I read recently that if you burn or cut 500 extra calories a day you will loose 1lb a week. The last time (several year ago) that I stopped drinking soda I lost 15lbs.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I also hate measuring out food and counting calories, but I am determined to lose 75 pounds by New Year's Day 2012. I am eating more fruits and veggies, less fat and sugar, and smaller portions. Plus I am either out hiking and brush-clearing in our woods, or using the treadmill, whichever weather permits. If it's above freezing, I'm outside! Yesterday I got to see a deer, and the day before, a couple of the neighbor's chickens wandered into our woods--they were so cute!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would like to loose 50 lbs this year. Really I know what to do I have just been dragging my feet about doing it. Last summer I set a goal to walk a half marathon relay. My DIL and I each walked 6 1/2 miles. My goal for next summer is to walk the13 mile Half Marathon myself.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My only exercise is the garden and keeping house. This time last year I came across the book "Eat This, Not That". Got it plus Drink This, Not That. I have lost 28 pounds with almost no effort whatever. Platued for a bit and lost 3 more this week. Previously, I have been on every diet known to man and could write a book about how often I have gained and lost the same 35 pounds.
This ia all about daily choices. Signed up for their email and I get additional information 5 days a week. When you see how many restuarant choices equal more than an entire days calories and even more fat and sodium, you will be horrified. Many of the dishes we have been taught are healthy are anything but. Because of my age and back surgery I am now 2 inches shorter which presents an even bigger problem. Started at all of 5'1".....now 4'11". Doesn't take much to look like a beach ball.

Seriously, check this out. There is tons of information on their website. Knowledge is a powerful tool.

Plano, TX

i was looking at these plates called SLIMWARE i think
they were really pretty and they have a clever way of showing the portions we should eat without being obvious or having to measure
i haven't used or even bought them yet but i am intriqued by them and they aren't that expensive either

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda, where did you find the slimware plates? One of my helps has been using a luncheon size plate rather the huge dinner plates.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I started back at Water Aerobics last week. I haven't gained any weight in years pretty much stay in a 5# range. But I would really like to get back to losing some. There are a lot of good plans out there I think it mostly is finding something that works for you and following through with it.
Louc, I have friends that are pretty short and a few #s really do make such a difference when you have no height to spread it over. There are a lot of good tricks out there that work well for some people. Those smaller plates are a good aid. Between cutting out the soda and the water aerobics I have lost 7# this week. A good start but I know that next week won't be so dramatic. If I can loose a pound or two a week I will be very happy.
For those of you with back or knee issues Water Aerobics is a great way to get your exercise in.

Plano, TX

Welcome to SlimwareSlimware is a simple reminder not to overeat. We are psychologically and culturally programmed to “stay in the lines” . . . whether on the highway or at the ...

Central Park - Belladonna - Urban Safari - FAQs
slimware.com/ - Cached - Similar

louC---go to slimware.com and tell me what you think--i like it

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They are cute.
Lou, Does your "Eat This, Not That" have the restaurant Marconi Grill listed? It would be a chain restaurant but I have no idea how big of a chain it is. I have a gift certificate for there and was wondering if you could see if they have a suggestion for that restaurant?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Holly, you can get lot of information from their website. Macaroni Grill originated about 70 miles from here. They have cleaned up their act some lately but prior to that EVERYTHING on the menu was over 1500 calories per entree.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I wanted to say that I use the Ziploc plastic containers. There is a 1/2 cup, 1 cup container that makes it very easy to portion out your food. When I worked it was very easy to pack lunches and now I just fill a container up before I put it out to eat either for a meal or for a snack. Plating my food and not setting serving dishes out on the table is also a help. Less likely to go back for seconds.

Plano, TX

holly--great ideas

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

www.eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurants/romanos-macaroni-grill

This message was edited Jan 9, 2011 1:50 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Louc.
Keepingactive, We haven't helped you with your original question. I hope some of our chatter is of some support?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, that link didn't work. Go to EatThisNotThat and search Romanos Macaroni Grill. We eat out maybe once a week but I'm always amazed at the calorie count of restaurant entrees. When you check the children's menu, oh man, it is even worse. No wonder our children are most obese of any nation.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just copied and pasted that link Louc didn't have any trouble, You are so right about the children today. Their lives are so much different than ours or even our children lives. I am lucky that my Grands have parents that keep them active and properly fed.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Dear Keepingactive. Keep in mind that protein is what the body is made of and we need a minimum of 45 grams per day of protein to replace body cells that are continually breaking down and need to be replaced. ( but 85g would be better.) Pregnant moms eat 100g protein per day. When you eat the required amount of protein, your skin and hair and nails grow like they've been fertilized and your skin gets a much better texture. Protein is the most expensive food element at the grocery store. Look in the sports food area for a whey protein drink mix which allows you to buy pure protein for a better price. A month's supply of the one I buy at Walmart is $14 a jug. (26g per scoop. Also there is a product called Muscle Milk. Label looks good but Ive never tasted it. I mix my scoop of protein with cup of youghert and about 6-8 ice cubes in the blender until consistency of a milkshake. The product I use is sweetened with Splenda. It is called Body Fortress Whey Protein. Tastes wonderful. The vanilla flavor can be mixed with the fruit of your choice to get some variation. They have several flavors. I also use Pure Protein (brand) bars from the grocery. They taste like Snickers and have 20 grams of protein. Protein "sticks to your ribs" as my parents use to say. and what they meant was that it keeps you from getting hungry as fast as you would with carbs. The bars make a healthy snack or a meal if you are out running errands and such.

Carbohydrates, both simple and complex are for fuel. If you do manual labor like digging ditches all day or climbing telephone poles you might need a lot of fuel 1100 g., but otherwise, cut it out at first and then when you reach goal weight, keep it to a minimum. A good minimum is 2 slices of whole wheat bread per day. (There is no point whatsoever of eating white bread.) I keep fit by eating only protein and colored fruits and vegetables. Most of the vitamins and minerals we need are contained in colored plants. Never drink the juice when you could have had the whole fruit. If you worry, just take a multivitamin. I use Krystal-lite instead of soda and I drink lots of water.

Keep in mind that our original food pyramid was designed by the Dept of Agriculture who no doubt had a vested interest in keeping grain farmers in business. That was also before the industrial revolution when people mostly farmed which was hard work without tractors and harvesters and they probably NEEDED those 11 servings of carbs recommended by the DOA.

When you cut out carbs for fuel, you force your body to use your stored fat for fuel which is what you want it to do. If you get hungry, just eat more protein and colored veggies until you are full. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs do! Lay off the white stuff, rice, potatoes, bread, biscuits, cornbread, crackers and chips. Allow yourself a sweet once per month and eat a generous helping of it.

As for exercise, try a hand bicycle or make one using an old bicycle or childs tricycle. If you have your own pool, when it warms up swim every day for only 30 minutes. This eating plan works even if you dont exercise but it goes faster if you can exercise.

Dexter, ME

Just started the 17 day diet with Drs TV show I have been doing it for 3-4 days
the challenge is located in link below and also I am tracking my food,exerise with lose it link is posted
is anyone joined the 17 day diet?

http://thedoctorstv.com/forums/519-17-Day-Diet-Challenge-Team-The-Doctors

http://loseit.com/

Plano, TX

could you tell us about it?

Dexter, ME

You log on to
http://thedoctorstv.com/forums/519-17-Day-Diet-Challenge-Team-The-Doctors
you click to sign up.then you can be on the Drs Team or Dr Phils Team
you sign the contract.
you are going to eat what they recommend for 17 days you exerise for 17 min a day.
there is a forum where people tell how they are doing.
food lists,recipes and support.alot are getting the 17 diet food book
But after holidays I can not afford and i have food lists.
I go in the 17 day phase,then i start a new 17 days adding some foods back.
People on the forum are losing weight big time.You are cleaning toxins out of your body for 17 days here is another link as well with recipes
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=154431391270315&topic=148#!/pages/17-DAY-DIET/154431391270315

Dexter, ME

•Cycle 1: Accelerate. Encourages rapid weight loss, cleansing and fat burning. Discourages fat storage.
•Cycle 2: Activate. Resets the metabolism.
•Cycle 3: Achieve. Develop good eating habits, re-teach yourself how to eat carbs.
•Cycle 4: Arrive. A combination of the first three Cycles. On weekends, enjoy your favorite foods.
During these four cycles you’ll alter the amount of carbs, fats and proteins you’re eating, keeping your metabolism on its toes and never settling in to one particular style of eating. It’s important to note that The 17 Day Diet relies on clean eating, which means no sugar, processed foods or fried foods.

Hi All,
Thanks for all the input - and no, HollyAnnS, I don't mind the side conversations....I don't own this thread! The input from others regarding whatever is both informative and interesting. I've printed everything off and have read and reread everything.

I just know I am basically lazy, hate math and anything to do with math, have no discipline and no one here to help keep me on the right track. Plus, I forget a lot of things easily. So I haven't decided yet what to do. I am leaning towards Weight Watchers simply because they can send food. Did I mention I was lazy?

So, thank you everyone for all your help, suggestions and information.

Plano, TX

is the book anywhere for the doctors diet-or do you order on line only

Dexter, ME

you can only get the book here I got first phase food list till i can get the book
http://www.the17daydiet.com/
if you decide to do it let me know we can support each other I am on day 5 of the 17 day then I got to phase 2 and add foods back

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have found out that it costs alot more to eat correctly *and healthy* than it does to belly up to junk for meals. Junk food is cheap. all those presevatives.......yuck. I have finally found a source of chicken breast with NO added solutions. It's not "organic", but that is not important to me. The "may contain up to 8% injected solutions) is. I usually buy a 40 pound box at a time.

Good info from steadycam3...............so i won't repeat it. One thing to remember........."white is the enemy".........white bread, flour, sugar..........you get the idea.

Have 1 free day a week........that way you won't feel deprived (and deprivation, or the thought of, will throw you off faster than anything) and will help rev up your metabolism.

If you are able to do any type of cardio, it is best done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, as it forces the body to utilize fat for energy.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not to put you on the spot Flowers, but how are you doing on your 17 day diet? I'm doing well with my Weight Watchers. Since my cold I haven't been very active but my weight is still going down slowly.

Dexter, ME

sunday I will be doing this 17 day diet for 17 days I go to next phase is phase 2 i add meats and some foods back and switch off next day to phase 1.I weighed in yesterday I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks this diet works yeahhhh

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is great! I lost 9lbs in the first two weeks of my WW diet. Most of it was the first week when I made the big changes and was going to the gym 3 times a week. If I can continue to lose a pound or two a week I will be very happy. I'm doing great staying in my points but really not drinking the amt of water I should. Something so easy is always so hard for me.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Congrats on the weight loss! I will find out tomorrow how I did this week, as I weigh in on Saturdays. All this snow is helping me get lots of exercise--shoveling, sweeping, hiking up and down this hill, lol.
Maybe I oughta park down there all year 'round....naaaah!

Dexter, ME

Thank you good luck keep us posted

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

If you can drink 1 gallon of water a day it helps flush out your system and the fat. Hard to do, I find it difficult, but keep at it. :>)

Waaaay Down South, GA

This sounds a lot like the South Beach to me. I looked at some of the recipes, and it really looked a lot like it.

Dexter, ME

wow i got to check out south beach

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My daughter did SB for a month or so right before her wedding so did one of her friends. They are both little things only wearing size 4 or 6 certainly didn't have a lot of weight to loose but it did chisel them down to a very fit look.

Plano, TX

can anyone tell me about the newest in weight watchers? dr oz talked a little about it but not enough to really know it

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Someone back on this thread mentioned Muscle Milk as a protein shake drink but they had never tried it. I LOVE Muscle Milk.........it is my fav but don't use it during dieting down for shows because it has some fat in it. Spouse Unit says to me "that's why it tastes good". He's probably right. Right now I am using IsoPure as told by my Personal Trainer. Muscle Milk gets my vote for a great tasteing supplement.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

planolinda, I do WW, I don't go to meetings and don't know anything about the new or current plans. I did WW several years ago and did very well with it and just recently dug out my old books and started following the plan. I think I will start going to the meetings even though I am doing well on my own. The WW I use is based on a point system. All foods are given a point value and there is a sliding calculator that you get to calculate points values from the nutritional info on the the labels. Using calories, fat and fiber. There are also books that list the points of common foods. They determine how many points you can eat daily by your current weight I can eat between 22 - 27 points a day and they want you to have 6 glasses or water, 5 servings of fruits or veggies and 2-3 servings of milk daily. Plus you can have up to 39 extra points a week and there is a sliding calculator that also calculates your exercise so you can burn off points. You can pretty much eat any food you want as long as you stay in your points for the week. For example Ric gets me Skinny Cow ice cream bars they are 3 points so if I decide I want an ice cream fix and have 3 extra points at the end of the day I can chose to have that. It is much like counting calories but you count points instead. You get a food log where it is very easy to keep track of your food and points. I found the meetings encouraging and supportive. They give out recipes like the 1 point muffins and different meals you can make with the points values per severing. I think it is a very good all round plan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images