Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: who do you call re: gas water heater?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 8, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8290208

Are plumbers or gas company the one I call for our gas water inspection to see why we are not getting hot hot water? It gets low-hot but not the heat I like for dishwashing/dishwasher.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8291161

I'd call the plumber. Usually, the gas man is only concerned with whether or not the gas is getting to the heater - you can check that yourself. How old is your heater? and do you drain it all the way periodically? If not, sludge can build up in the bottom which can drastically reduce heating efficiency.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8291887

Less then 10 yrs old and never heard of draining water heater for preventive maintenance. How often do you drain yours?
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8296267

Have a look here
http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-a-Water-Heater
I don't drain mine at all any more because I have a tankless one. When I had a conventional one, I drained it yearly.
CraigBennett
Eaton Rapids, MI

January 6, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8296276

have you tried turning the temprature setting on the gas valve up? there is an adjustment.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8297055

thanks for the link. yes, I have the temp. turned up to the highest.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8298169

Try running your hot water in a sink until you think it's at its hottest; then take its temp. A meat thermometer works great. Around here plumbing codes recommend 120 Deg for the highest safe temp. If your thermostat is turned up max and you're getting less than that, you do have a problem. I'd still call the plumber first, especially if it's the one who installed the heater.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8299350

well, duh! take the temp. Call me "special" and know that routinely the obvious escapes me!
velveteena
Seattle, WA

May 1, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9105909

I'm assuming this problem has already been solved, but the answer depends on your local utility. Call them first. Some have their own maintenance people. Also, if your water heater is closing in on ten years old, it may be time for a new one. Sometimes the utilities can offer you a rebate on a new one. Also, some jurisdictions require a permit for installation, even replacements. Guess it's meant to keep us from blowing ourselves up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America