Photo by Melody

Clean and Clutter-free: What Items Can You Not Let Go But Have No Use For?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 98, Views: 766
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8292108

In decluttering your home, what have you found that serves no purpose, yet you can't part with it? Was it a gift? Is a wonderful memory attached to it? It's it broken, moldy, damaged, etc? Perhaps it's an item that could be useful to someone else, but you just can't let it go. Maybe if you post it here, some of us might help you learn to let go of it or maybe we can repurpose it, make it over into something that could be useful to you.

My item is a ceramic "cat bag" a friend made years ago. I inherited it when she dies of cancer. It's really pretty and I love it. For a while I used it put my paint brushes in, but the smallest ones would get lost in it. For the last couple of years, I've filled it with potpourri. But the cat really doesn't match any of my decor, so I just can't figure out what to do with it or where to put it in my house. I'd love to keep it; it's beautiful and I love it for sentimental reasons too. But how can I make it a useful piece of decor?

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8292116

Whew! Thank goodness you qualified it with the words "no purpose". I try to make use of anything I'm attached to that doesn't have a specific purpose.

How about putting some pencils or pens in your cute cat face? Then put it in a room where it will match the decor.

We were given two lovely blue vases, years ago, but the only blue here is in the half bath and they'd be out of place there. So they remain in a box, sad.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8292155

There's no room on my desk for the cat filled with pens or pencils. Besides, most of the pens would drop too far down into the cat and wouldn't be visible or easily accessible.

Does any wallpaper border or drapes have a hint of blue in it? Maybe you could use a vase to pull that blue out. Or maybe you could find a way to use them in the new utility room you plan to build. Or maybe out on your porch or sunroom? They sound too pretty to hide away. Isn't there some blue in the rug in your living room? Or maybe a tiny hint of blue in your sofa? The vases might be a pretty splash of color sitting in the bay window with your coleus. When you wanted to root cuttings of the coleus, you could put a few in the vases perhaps?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8292189

This room used to be blue but I doubt it will happen again. No blue on the porch, bedrooms, living or dining room. They're tall so I can't use them for cuttings.

Could your cat bag be used for holding stakes for plants?
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8292197

I would plunk a plant in the kitty, but that's just me. Something spiky.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8292210

I hadn't thought about putting a plant in the cat. I was thinking about taking a some sanseverias to the office. Maybe I could find a pot that will fit in the cat and fill it with different sansv and take it to the office tomorrow. That's an intriguing idea! I'm going out to the potting area to see what I can find that will fit in it. It would be kinda cute on my desk there! I just volunteer there one day a week, but I keep warning them that I'm moving in soon. I guess they'll believe it tomorrow, huh? LOL Thank you, Shune! I think we've found its purpose!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8292229

If you show up with a pillow, blanket and sheets you'll show them you're serious!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8292248

Too funny, Pirl!!

Well, here's my new and improved cat, which I'll carry to the office tomorrow. I really like it now!!! I wanted to put some creepy-crawly sedum that would spill out of the pot, but all of my sedums are dormant right now. When they show themselves again, I'll get a red-leafed one to add to this arrangement. The cat contains four different dwarf variety sanseverias.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8292383

Great job, NancyAnn!
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8292536

Very cool. I'm excited I could help with something!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 24, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8328808

Can you use it as a vase or a plant pot? Put in a couple of drill holes for drainage and plant your favourite plant, place it in the garden.] Sorry, didn't notice the comment, but it looks great with the Mother In Law Tongues - well done.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2011 8:42 PM
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 24, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8328822

My husband and I have just spent three weekends and copious hours on a whole house garage sale. I have to say that purging is a wonderful feeling. Now we are left with all the "treasures" that no-one wants!

This collection is the combination of 40 years marriage, four kids and never throwing anything out! I have learned my lesson.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8329180

Just spotted that you are a new subscriber, biddy. Welcome to Dave's Garden!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8329196

I think your kitty planter is adorable, nicely done :>)
Christine
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 25, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8329398

I too love what you have done with the kitty. That will be so cute on your desk at work. It sure seems the type of thing to bring a smile to any grump that happens to walk by. Thanks for sharing this BC.

I too want to welcome Biddy. I would love to hear more about he whole house garage sale. What made you decide to do it? How did it do this time of year? How did you advertise it? Inquiring minds want to know. Tell me to mind my own business if you'd like but I find it interesting that you undertook this major project at this time of the year.

I just saw this thread today. I am sure that with a little thought I can come up with all sorts of things that I hold on to that are currently serving no purpose but I can't let go of yet. I know that one thing I do with colorful and shiny objects that catch my eye and I just have to have. I often buy the suction cup hooks that stick on windows or mirrors and hand up ornaments of all sorts and I like to refer to them as being either wall or window jewelry. hahaha

I have a small garden window in my small kitchen and it seems to be home to a lot ornaments that I have collected over the years. I have things hanging there now and when rifling through some desk drawers last week found a supply of the same sorts of things that I took down some months ago to wash and didn't put back, but stuck in a drawer. I won't be getting rid of them and will probably end up changing the different ornaments around from time to time.

Anyway, this is a fun topic and I will look forward to seeing others post some things here to get some ideas from all you creative and artsy women.

Ruby

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 25, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8330692

Thank you Pirl - it is all very interesting.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 25, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8330696

Hi Rubyw: My husband and I moved to an apartment back in May last year. We have been trying to sell every since - houses are moving slow in Qld, Australia. No probs with wet feet, but we were cut off north and south by flood waters.

Our son was living in the house for a while and we didn't have a chance to do the garage sale last year because of it. It is slow now, so it was a good time.

The apartment was fully furnished, so I only took what I wanted from the house plus added things I needed in the kitchen. Not a lot of storage space unfortunately. So everything in the house had to go - beds, fridges, washing machine, dryer, bedding. Four kids and 40 years of marriage - one does seem to collect things. Sadly, we moved from Vic to Qld 10 years ago and brought most of it with us! What is left will get collected by our local recycling centre and then we can start painting and cleaning up the place. However, I cannot get rid of photographs.

I just saw this thread today. I am sure that with a little thought I can come up with all sorts of things that I hold on to that are currently serving no purpose but I can't let go of yet. I know that one thing I do with colorful and shiny objects that catch my eye and I just have to have. I often buy the suction cup hooks that stick on windows or mirrors and hand up ornaments of all sorts and I like to refer to them as being either wall or window jewelry. hahaha

Mosaicing is another way of using things up. Biddy52

I have a small garden window in my small kitchen and it seems to be home to a lot ornaments that I have collected over the years. I have things hanging there now and when rifling through some desk drawers last week found a supply of the same sorts of things that I took down some months ago to wash and didn't put back, but stuck in a drawer. I won't be getting rid of them and will probably end up changing the different ornaments around from time to time.

Anyway, this is a fun topic and I will look forward to seeing others post some things here to get some ideas from all you creative and artsy women.

Ruby

[/quote]

rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 27, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8332983

Thanks Biddy. I just realized you were in Australia. Duh!!! It is summer there isn't it? I was wondering why someone would choose the middle of winter to hold what I refer to as a yard sale. Very interesting what you are doing as you downsize. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of photographs. At some point I have a major project in sorting through and archiving fity plus years of photos. In my shed currently there are numerous boxes and photo albums that I bought in the past but have never really sat down and taken the time to give the proper respect to the photos I have. It has been one of those things that I keep telling myself that I will address someday.

Biddy, next time I have my camera out, I will take some pictures of my wall and window jewelry.

Ruby

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8332995

Last year I spent an entire month going over old photos, Ruby. It's a huge task but I did get rid of thousands of envelopes of photos but didn't bother with getting them into albums. It would be massive work and who would want them when we're gone? I gave my daughter many of the photos I have taken of the family and she does keep them in albums. My son, forever single, has no room for photo albums.

I kept all old photos, from 1962 to 1988 in perfect order in albums so that's not a problem.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8333756

Just wondering, isn't there a way to convert photos to digital form (like vhs tapes and movies) or do you have to start with digital? Sure would take up a lot less space...and I've seen some of my daughter's digital albums and how easy it is to do.

BC I love your cat! Those mini MLTs look very whisker like.

Welcome Biddy. This is quite a group. Hope you'll stick around. Is where you live considered rural? Glad the floods spared you. Scary. One of the things I'd try to grab in a like emergency are some photographs. I could spend hours just looking thru old family photos: each one was like reading a book to me We've done some printing of photos on to fabric projects like T shirts for our family reunions or as quilt pieces. My daughter does a calendar for the Grand parents each year with pics of grandson's.. I really enjoy that.

Judy

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8333778

Going through old albums, with the kids (46 and 41) around me, is such fun!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 27, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8333869

Oh gosh Pirl, you scare me with talking of working with the photos for a month. Hopefully I can get through mine quicker than that. I don't know though, we will see. I too used to keep photos in albums but it has been ages and ages since I have done that. I actually asked my hubby for a photo album for Christmas this year and he obliged. He even bought it in my favorite color which is purple.

Gosh Judy, sounds like your family does a lot of very crafty things with photographs. Cool. Good to see you posting.

Need to run. Am needed by the grand children. Have a good evening all.

Ruby

rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 27, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8333872

Oh yeah, cross posted with you Pirl. I was going to say that in the past I have often spent hours and hours looking through old school year books. They are a lot of fun too.

ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2011

Post #8333898

You can scan your photos and convert them to digital that way. Or you can snap pictures of the photos with your digital camera and load them on your PC that way. My scanner takes forever and is such a pain that I usually snap photos of photos. I have to watch the flash so it doesn't ruin the new picture. Then I can enhance the new photos and make them look better than the originals.

I converted a bunch of old black and white family photos to digital and then made CDs for my siblings. I'm the picture taker at family events (weddings, family reunions, birthday parties, etc) and I put those on CDs and make copies for my siblings too. Then they can print the ones they like best and still have all the others on CD. One day I want to make nice DVDs set to music that will fade in and fade out to the pictures...one day.

Almost all my pictures have been scrapbooked. I've been a scrapbooker for years. All my pictures are now archived safely, avoiding acid as much as possible to prevent fading and cracking. People and events are labeled so my great grandkids will get the full story of their ancestors. For my brother's 50th birthday, I scrapbooked his whole lifetime and presented him with the scrapbook. He loved it! Different family and friends contributed pictures. Even his ex-wife joined in and gave me pictures of their life together many moons ago. He was so amazed to see people he hadn't thought of in decades and couldn't remember their names, til he saw them in print in the scrapbook. Scrapbooks are an incredible way to preserve your memories and tell the story of your family for future generations.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8334114

Yes, thanks BC I suppose that there are places I could hire to digitize my photos?

Or, say I have 50 photos or a "shoe box" full. How long would it take me to scan or rephoto that amount? How many fit on a CD? The reason I ask is that I might be quicker/more efficient to sort them on my computer with a mouse click than to physically go through each and every one and decide what organizational category it fit in best (on computer I can create duplicates , etc with another click and delete, move, etc and save as many versions as I want without getting caught up in the emotional attachment I have to each photo...)

Or, I could clear a space, collect all my collections of photos and begin 'sorting' them like the pieces of a 10,000piece puzzle ! without edges or corners or the picture on the box to go by.!

Can you all see how quickly me enthusiasm for this "to do" has waned? Or how subtely I stopped myself before I began by saying "clear a space" and then for good measure threw in 'collect' my collections? And if that weren't enough of a stopper I painted an image in my minds eye of a massive challenge , full of frustration and doomed to failure that could sit in judgement and climb on the guilt trip bandwagon anytime I think about photos, let alone run across one or, god forbid, want to take one.

As I wrote the above I became aware of how easy it is to turn a good idea, fun activity, new adventure into something I really don't want to do, a can of worms not worth opening.

Now, I can go back and see if I can debug my process

Reflecting for a moment, I think what I really want is what Pirl posted above, the simple statement that going through albums with my kids around me is such fun!

Later, Judy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8334147

I have a lot of pictures also. I hope that soon I can get some organization to them. I started several years back before I had a digital camera just having CVS develop the film and make a CD. I saved money and room by just having a CD and not 24 or more pictures that I did not need. This way if I wanted I could pick out any I wanted copies of and have them make prints or put them on my computer and look at them.

I am coming along really well on decluttering. Have more to do but have a whole lot behind me.

Sleep well everyone.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 28, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8335013

Oh gosh...addressing my issues with my plastic bin (size large) full of photos is a ways down the list for me. As those of you who are currently working with yours, I am sure I will be back at some point asking for advice for choosing what to do with mine and any hints or tips to make it go quicker.

Yep Judy, I see that you are very human in your thought processes. Many of us are the exact same way. We can take something that would bring us pleasure and think about it too much till we work ourselves out of doing it. I would think that the addressing the photo issues is much like any other area of our homes or our lives that need our attention. Once we get started and take the very first steop in doing it, we find it isn't the boogey man we imagined it to be.

I am sure that once you start, the ladies here who have successfully already done their thing with their photos would be glad to give pointers on how to get it done quickly and pleasurably. Bet you a dollar. hahaha I am hoping so anyway. I have warned, I will return at some poiint and need you gals to walk me thorugh whatever process I decided to use.

Coleup, it took me a couple of months at least of coming here and reading and having the idea to possibly begin addressing my clutter before things began to sink in and I actually started taking action on it. No one is here to shame you in to doing anything at all. Hopefully the group will be able to serve you as well as it has me. I know that left to my own devices, I don't get much done. If I feel as though I have the support of others with my efforts, I tend to be able to do the job at hand.

It always feel great to come here and share whatever I have been up to that particular day and have others tell me that I am doing well. That is all I need in order to motivate me to do more and still more. You will get it girl, no rush. Just keep reading and posting. The clutter bug will get you and you will begin making progress. I for one and very pleased that you are joining in on the chat.

Anyway, I will repeat her what I have said in the other places I have posted today. You folks all have a great weekend. See you soon.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8336221

Really good advice here for dealing with photos. The Clutter forum could use a thread devoted to photos...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8336537

I had the photos, 20+ years worth, in boxes on the shelves of my 8' wide closet here in the guest room and they always loomed as a huge job. I started with just one box and, when I saw how easily I could go through and eliminate the less than outstanding photos, it was FAR easier than it first appeared to me.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8337383

One of the BEST ways that we have to save tips here at DG is to click on the 'post # blah blah" under the person's name and when that post enlarges, to click the manila file folder in the upper right hand corner and name the post and save it to our DG Tagged posts. When we want to look up that plant, article, post, we only need to go to the top of the page in the line under Guides and Info and click on "My Info" and go to our tagged pages.
This is how I 'tagged' ButterflyChaser's post about how to organize photos that she had written back in October.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8169375
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126959/#post_8169375 I don't know which one of these will work, so I put both of them.

Someday I am going to do this...Like with anything; getting started is the hardest part of the job. I have built this up to where it is just too hard for me to do. :-) ♫♪Some day♪♫ had better get here soon!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8337442

Great idea. I always wondered how to tag pages so thanks for the help.

Do just one envelope of photos. Make it your limit for the day as far as photos go. You'll soon see you're cheating and doing three, four or five envelopes and then go from there. It's a good hobby for five minute time slots.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8337460

Five minute time slots!♥Wonderful!♥ Do-able!♥ SO much better than being buried by the mountain of work that I have in mind!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8337586

You'll find some envelopes that take more time than others and you'll find photos and wonder where you took them or why you kept them.

I did the opposite of what I suggested to you and filled my bed with boxes after I saw how fast I could get through one box. I had quite the mess for a month! It was worth it since I couldn't garden in the snow.

Good luck!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 31, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8340395

My thoughts run much like Juney's...such a large undertaking. Thank you Pirl for the encouragement that by breaking the BIG job down in to smaller bits, it can be done and probably a lot of fun to do. I can recall past photos that I would love to have now to display or at least put somewhere that I could find it later. Maybe some of these will show up whenever I get around to organizing my pics.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8340419

Oh, Ruby! This has been SO worth it. While going through still another pile of mainly dismantled photo albums, a few enlarged photos, some mats, etc. I found yet another bag of good jewelry. I hate keeping everything in one spot for fear that IF someone ever broke into the house they'd get all the good stuff in one convenient spot.

Even found my class ring!

All went went at the thrift shop but for all the volunteers inside just walking around you'd think one or two could have come out to help the people in the three cars giving them donations. Had my jacket open and wasn't cold at 26 degrees outside since it's so sunny.

(Ended up keeping one large heavy vase for flowers outside. Other vases just aren't heavy enough to stand up to the summer breezes. You can tell I'm dreaming of warm weather already.)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 31, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8340426

You are so cute Pirl. So glad you got the stuff gone. I am with you on the staff members. I too would have been a bit miffed if no one had offered to come to my aid. I suppose that the physical condition I am finding myself in isn't all bad. I have begun using a walking cane when visiting stores recently. I am not accustomed to folks going out of their way to hold a door for me or to offer to help me. It feels kind of strange and then I remember, oh yeah, I am crippled up.

Anyway, I am enjoying hearing about your journey in to de-cluttering. Every time one of us accomplishes something I want to stand up and yell rah, rah, rah. Good work girl. On to the next project...but remember to take a much needed time out in order to recover from this one.

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8340448

My time out before the thrift shop was for a CT scan, then the thrift shop, now home for coffee, then a mammogram and bone density test 30 miles away, followed by fun shopping and then a "donation" of Christmas Spode to my daughter!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 11, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8366605

I was with you, rooting you along until you spoke of Christmas Spode. Please tell me what that is?

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8366819

It's Spode's 'Christmas Tree', dinnerware:

http://www.spodechristmastree.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/spodechristmastree.jpg
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 11, 2011

Post #8367019

Very pretty and thank you for solving the puzzle for me. I have one plate very similar to that. I use it to sit sweets in when setting the table during the holidays. A whole set is really great.

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8367103

My daughter is the Christmas hostess for many parties so she'll get to use them.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 12, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8367740

Cool, and you now have the extra space they were using. I am unable to get to our attic. I have to rely on others to do it for me. Last year I had two or three people go up and look for the set of holiday dishes I bought a few years ago. Each person comes back with...I don't see them. We have now officially gone through every thing in the shed, so unless a drunken elf broke in the house one evening and took only my set of dishes, they have to be in the attic. I might become so ticked off over the whole deal, that balance issues or not, I will go up there and find the dishes, most likely within the first minute or so I am up there.

It sounds as though your daughter will get a lot of use from having them.

Ruby

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8367799

She will make great use of them. I'll also give her beautiful candle holders in a Christmas holly and berries pattern by Lenox.

This amuses me: I went to the china closet (not the cabinet) to check the name of the candle holders and now have a huge silverplate basket and a piece of pottery (neither have ever been used) for the thrift shop.

It has to be so annoying to know you have the china upstairs but can't get to it. Could your son bring down one box at a time so you could continue decluttering as you search for the china?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 13, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8369995

Great idea Pirl. That is something to give some thought to. Golly gee, I grew so tired of Christmas bins a while back that I was relieved not to think of things in the attic. I will either have hubby or son do that. Thanks for the idea.

Hubby made a comment recently that he didn't believe he would be making too many more trips up there, so may have to let son do it. I know that there is a collection of Fostoria glassware that is up there that I might sell online later, so I will use the excuse that I want everything brought down that belongs to me. We should have space in storage shed now for most things in attic and that would save everyone a lot of aggravation.

Thanks for thinking of the obvious Pirl. I would have been complaining about this forever. A simple solution and most likely a very needed one too. Maybe son can store some of his stuff up there if he needs extra space. Might start an official rule that no one over fifty years old is allowed up the attic stairs. hahaha

Hope that you are enjoying your afternoon. I am getting ready to prepare some veggie/beef soup for our dinner. Haven't had any for a while and really love it. Hope it turns out well.

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8370033

I've been tossing like a crazed person. You'd think the house was up for an official visit by the clutter free posters with all I've ditched between yesterday and today. I'll be mortified if they rename the thrift shop for me.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8370762

hee hee! i wonder if that has ever happened
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8371026

I don't want it to happen to me!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 14, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8371250

LOL!!!!! You go girl!!! I just wrote a message of sadness and come directly over here and get my best laugh of the morning. I love it Pirl!!! What do you think they might call the shop? Pirl's Place? Arlene's Attic? Toss A Plenty?

Thanks for the lift in my spirits. Keep up the good work.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8371281

You're too funny, Arlene! Doesn't it feel great to get some things out of the house, knowing you'll never ever have to deal with them again?

This past week, I sold several items like my elliptical exercise machine. I realized I'd rather walk the hills at the lake than to climb on that thing. I also decided to get rid of my sewing machine. Haven't used it in years and it's always in the way. And the big accordion sewing box I got for Christmas the year I was pregnant with my son (26 years ago!!) was always in the way too. I didn't think I'd ever get rid of it. But I listed them together on Craigslist and sold them right away, along with a big boxful of craft ribbon. All gone from my house forever!! No more moving them from room to room trying to find a place they fit.

I had two shelving racks in my guest room. They were both loaded with the stuff I culled out of the house to sell. I've sold enough in the past couple of months to empty one shelf and I've carried it back outside to the potting shed. I love the empty space!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8371519

Oh, it does feel so good. Today I went shopping after visiting the dermatologist and found a bag in the car that was meant for the thrift shop but I'm missing a bag that had a sample of the new border for the half bath and the color chips. I bet that's at the thrift shop!

It's really nice that people who visit want to bring a little gift but...so many went to donations because they're just not my taste. The coiled clove scented thing that you're supposed to set a teacup on goes along with other scented gifts that I find overwhelming.

Good for you, NancyAnn, for moving things out. Vacant space is highly underrated!

I'm certainly not complaining that vacant space on the kitchen counter was filled by Jack with Godiva and a huge bouquet of Valentine flowers this morning, along with a lovely card. That's fine with me!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8371543

Oh, how sweet, Arlene! I forgot it was VDay.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8371555

Thanks, BC. I'm thrilled. This afternoon I'll be making him a chocolate lava dessert for dinner...or maybe that will be our dinner!

I did find a few items too useful, I think, to ditch but probably useful somewherem like the garden, if I can spray paint silverplate. I'd take photos but now I'm having issues with downloading them. There I was decluttering the computer of programs never used and must have done something by accident and can't download any photos.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8372670

Pirl I am with you on naming the thrift shop after you. I am glad they did not name some of the places I bought so much from after me. What a horrible thought either way.

Nancy Ann great job and same to you Pirl. I am down to 2 closets (I think that is all) and not sure when I will do them. I did look up a digital photo scanner like ibartoo got and fell in love. One that will turn up to an 8" X 10" into a digital and store them on a memory card only costs about 130 dollars. I do know a lot of pictures I took before I got married my DS won't care anything about some of them. Like when I was 19 and visited Silver Springs Maryland and have pictures of the glass bottom boat. Wonder if it is still there. I hope in the next couple months to get one of those scanners.

I am off to bed. Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day and Sweet Dreams each one of my dear friends on here.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8372682

If we all keep making progress, even one drawer or one closet or even a shelf at a time, we'll be decluttered eventually.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 15, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8373270

Oh yeah, forgot that I organized and down sized my sock drawer last evening. It has been bothering me for months. I have a bag of bras, panty hose and footies to send out the door. Everything in the drawer is all nice and organized and yes indeed, it does feel good.

Pirl, what a sweet man you have. I was gifted with a small and buddly stuffed elephant. I am not hard to buy for. Yesterday I began unloading a few shelves in the glass front book cases where I am planning to display my elephants after the shelves are empty. I am putting aside some of the books to sell and keeping those that I know are special to either John or myself.
So, even though I was very unfocused yesterday, I did do a few things.

You folks have a great day.

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8373296

The chocolate dessert was a huge hit!

Mindless work, like sorting socks and undies, come easier when we're weighed down with a burden on our minds, Ruby. Removing wallpaper becomes an easy job when we're lost in thought.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8373787

Pirl, I need the recipe for that chocolate dessert. Mmmm, I can taste it from here!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8373825

It's actually a boxed mix by Betty Crocker and the name is Decadent Supreme and in the lower right corner it says "chocolate molten lava". You'd think from the photo on the box that it's a cake - wrong! It makes 8 muffin sized fantastic desserts made even better with your favorite ice cream or frozen yogurt. Very easy to make and reheatable, which we're trying tonight. I'll use the excuse that it's my job to check the reheating instructions, right?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8373872

Good plan Pirl!!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8373887

Oh, I've seen that at the store! I'll have to get it one day. I'm planning to have a spring garden party, so I may make it for the party.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8374524

BC, fantastic job selling all those big items, WOW!!

Pirl, I love your quote "Vacant space is highly underrated"! Good one!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 16, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8374804

Speaking of chocolate...my hubby is a brownie fan of the first degree. Our grocery had box mixes on sale this week and we bought eight boxes of them. I do double batches and so when the brownies are done they are chewy in the middle. He loves them.

Having a garden party sounds fun BC. I am thinking that maybe I need to start making plans to have some sort of small get together here at some point and allow folks to see the newly de-cluttered house I am enjoying. A thought a few weeks back was that I could have sort of an open house some Sunday afternoon and invite my cousins to come and take home a hand full of old papers that belonged to our grand dad that ended up in my possession somehow. I have a large box full and some of the cousins may be interested in some of them.

There is an interesting story to some of these papers but no one knows the reason for. My maiden name was Seale. I have one set of first cousins who spell their last name as Seal. No one seems to know why this one brother dropped the e off of his name.

While going through my grand dad's papers I see that things dated in the 1920's spells his name as Seal. Items in the 1930's are spelled Seale. I would love to know the reason this was done and I bet my cousins would like to know also. Anyway, not sure if any of us will ever know at this point with all our elders being deceased now. Ha!!!! We are now the elders. hahaha

Anyway...as always it is good to hear from everyone. Hope that you all have a pleasant and productive day.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8375866

The birth certificates way back then were usually filled out by a nurse or aid and were sent out without giving the new parents time to do much more than glance over them as they signed.
I have a cousin that was raised as a 'Troy' and went to enter the Army and found that his name was 'Trey'. His parents were very upset and wanted him to get the birth cert. changed, but Troy liked the new name ☺ and is now known as Trey by everyone but the couple that brought him into the world and named him. Other family members did change their names when they learned that their last name had somehow gotten an extra e.
On my DH's side of the family, we were doing some genealogy work and found that the French pronunciation of the name Bernier brought a change to the spelling in official documents to Barnay and Barney. This was only in the Mass. part of the family, the ones that went into the Pacific northwest didn't have the different spellings for the various kids. The Mass group instead has a schism where the name is pronounced very differently by the 2 different brother's families, and now there are burn-e-a and burn-ear groups that swear they are not related, but the family paperwork shows that they are. LOL!
All this is to say that sometimes the different spellings are not a decision made by the person, but by a clerk somewhere that didn't copy it right or changed it to what They thought that it should be. And sometimes it is a decision made to anglicize the name to blend in better in this new country.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8375873

Hmm, are you any relation to the Seals family that lives on Lake Conway near Little Rock, Arkansas. LOL! Are you sure?!!! LOL! I was sure shocked to find how names can evolve and change.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8376358

At the age of 22 I applied for a teaching license but they wouldn't acceprt my Birth Certificate and sent me to City Hall to get an official copy. There was no record of my birth on file for me on my birthday, but there was a record for a day earlier! My parents were no help as one remembered it was a Tues cause the milkman came that day and the other swore it was a Wed. The hospital where I was born had burned down and their records were destroyed. Stll makes me wonder how my parents couldn't keep my birthday straight! My 'solution' has been to celebrate both days. But I'm left with a weakened connection to my parents and my family and doubting my 'uniqueness/birthright.' like believing you are one thing and finding out you are another. Families have all kinds of stories and skeletons and secrets that our decluttering can inadvertently uncover . Would make an interesting thread here sometime.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8376364

Oh, forgot to add, my Drivers license has old birthdate and all other ID stuff has new. I worry when I am at airpot that if push comes to shove I won't be able to prove who I am!

Guess I'll have to do some alinement here and with my Social Security card, too.Think I'll still be able to celebrate two days though as I don't need and ID for that!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8376628

Highly confusing! The airport scene could be a nightmare.

If your passport has the new birth date you could go to DMV and tell them there was an error, present your passport, and hope they will change the date.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8376741

or at least a new picture lol !!!!!!!

Thanks Pirl I do carry my Passport and a certified copy of Birth when I travel. Got my Passport renewed just before the rates went up. Pic is ok but not stellar. No current plans to travel abroad yet.

So, my "family of origin" though I"ve done much work is what I continually hold on to, repurpose, declutter, but can't seem to let go of and as I journey into Grandmahood new decluttering and repurposing/recycling is called for to bring the best to my offspring's offsprings.

Thinking here of the song "The Times They Are A Changing" and the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity to get out of the way or lend a hand and the courage and wisdom to do what is necessary today...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8376753

True!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 17, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8377109

hahaha...Love your version of The Serenity Prayer Judy. Oh my gosh, that sure is a heck of a mess up that you are dealing with. Let's hope nothing worse than minor annoyances ever come of it.

BC, no relation to any Seals. It is either Seal or Seale. This really has me wondering. I know that a distant cousin of mine did the Seale/Seal geneology some years back. I may contact him and ask what he found about all of this. If anyone will know, it will be him.

Juney, I have heard stories similar to yours about pronouncing names completely different. Who the heck knows why things are done. Very interesting though, for sure.

Good idea about contacting DMV Pirl. Seems that they have their hands in a lot things.

Ruby
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8377758

If I can chime in for just a bit, I am 60 years old and I just found out about 6 months ago that I have a 61 year old sister I never knew existed. I have two younger sisters I grew up with. We have met the 'new' older sister, and she has been welcomed into the family, what's left of us, but there is a lot of confusion as to why we were never told. Parents, grand parents, anyone who would have known anything, are all deceased. The 'new' sister is a sweet lady, and I am sad to find out from herthat through a third party, she requested contact and was denied by my mom, this was about 1980.

I don't say much, I don't know why it's so hard for me, but I do read all the posts, and I mean all, on this clutter forum. I'm still waiting for the motivation to kick in, but since I'm being so chatty at the moment, I want all of you to know that I very much appreciate the sharing that happens here.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8377772

The same thing happened to someone I know. The biological parents were not married when the child was put up for adoption. Now 40 years later, the adult adoptee found out she has two younger half brothers and their father never told them of any previous marriage even though the marriage took place after the child was put up for adoption. The woman never married again but the man did.

Keeping secrets may save momentary embarrassment or possible scorn but people should be honest with their children and let them know the truth about the past.

Former neighbors may hold the key to the answers you must crave. Good luck.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 17, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8378307

My father was raised believing his birthday was Dec 4th, but when he applied for a birth certificate as an adult, the only one they could find listed his birth as Nov 4th. When my dad's family came over from Luxonbough (?spelling) their name was spelt Fei, one brother changed it to Fay and one to Fey, so I have relatives that spell it both ways.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8378337

I was referred to a prominent neurosergon after a car accident injery. The doctor treated me very bizarly and made me do heel toe walking several times and asking me if I was sure I could walk albeit slowly and with pain. He seemed very disturbed with my answers and was freaking me out so I said I wanted to leave because he was making me very uncomfortable. "Why", he said, "you are Judy " and he spelled my last name with an ei instead of an ie. Seems he was looking at the records of a former patient of the same name who was a paraplegic.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 18, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8378926

Oh my gosh...shocked by all accounts read here today. I had to laugh Judy. I guess he was a bit freaked out over your new ability since the car accident. Too funny!!! thanks for sharing that.

Shune, I am so glad that you shared this with us. Thank you for feeling that you could. Yes indeed, it must have been a shock at this late point in the game. A person just never knows, do they? I agree with Pirl that children ought to know things such as this.

My ex husband learned at age 35 that his two sisters weren't his full sisters. His dad told him when the dad was laid up in the hospital thinking he was going to die. The only reason it came out at this time that my ex was the only legal person to sign some paperwork. The sisters of course knew, as did my exes parents and no one ever breathed a word to him until then. It was a shock for him too.

I am glad that you have been able to meet your sister and I hope that even with the missed years that a relationship of closeness and love can be built and enjoyed for the rest of both your lives. I believe that the part I would have some difficulties dealing with is a feeling of missing the opportunity to know this person because no one ever mentioned her existence. I am sure that you may have bad feelings about the situation creep in from time to time but hopefully you will be able to forgive those who kept this from you and realize that back in the day these things just weren't mentioned. Imagine having a secret of this extent and never being able to be open and honest about it. That is a heavy load for a person to carry around all their lives. So, even though you may feel hurt over this, the secret holders have hurt along the way too.

Please feel free to write any time. Please don't wait until you start the de-cluttering process to feel that you shouldn't join the group. I talked here for a long time before I ever started de-cluttering my place. I knew I had clutter problems for years, I bought a lot of books on the subject, I too read a lot of online info about clutter and then finally one day last fall, it finally began in earnest for me and I have been at it for a while now.

I don't usually send cyber hugs but feel the need to send you one today. (((((((((SHUNE)))))))

You folks enjoy your upcoming weekend.

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8378935

Shune - you may have missed the past with your newly found sister but you have the present to enjoy her so be happy to have her and enjoy her now.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8382752

Good news! Today we brought the china service for 12 and the rest of the Spode Christmas Tree items, along with more things I can't use, but my daughter can (and wanted), over to her. Dining room table glistens again.

Tomorrow will be another trip to the Thrift Shop for a trunk filled with donations.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8382772

That IS good news, Arlene. Congratulations!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8382803

Thanks. It always feels as though it's taking SO long but it took years to accumulate so I should be more patient with myself (but I don't listen to myself).

Should have been back working on magazines today but sidetracked myself with the shelves in the guest room - now about 75% done.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8383074

Pirl, I read a blurb on the usefulness of procrastination . last week It was a bit of tongue in cheek but gave me a new way of looking at what I do relative to "putting things off"

This professor/writer made procrastination work for him by starting his TO DO list with
1) Finish book by publisher's deadline (one year away)
and then filled out his list with the myriad of lesser todos in his life like fix bathroom sink, clean garage, buy present for Penny, paint family room, grade term papers, yearly checkup, start new compost pile...etc

He found that his success at procrastinating on item # 1 meant that he would do almost any other task on his list with ease instead of finishing his book.

Made me think of you just putting thos boxes on your table in plain sight and not moving them out of sight or out of the way which certainly were options. You made it clear that that your intentions were to deal with them and deal you have..Congratulations on that glistening table!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8383350

Thanks. It feels so good to go past it and see nothing but shine!

I completed every bit of the guest room today, where I sit here on the computer. I have the feeling the professor might have delayed dealing with magazines as I do. At least with cleaning you get to see same day results but those bags of magazines keep mounting. Maybe a gremlin sneaks in at night and adds more: it's depressing by now.

I'll play Scarlett O'Hara and believe "...tomorrow is another day". I am determined to finish that awful job so we'll see how well I do tomorrow (considering we have the computer guy coming at 9:30 and I have a neurologist's appointment at 1:40). At least it instilled enough fury in me that I'll never take another food magazine subscription and at this point I don't think I could even buy one, anywhere, no matter how tempting.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 26, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8394301

To Pirl,

My issue is that every Xmas I have trouble finding the Xmas Box with decorations or something from the box goes missing, such as the apron I made to go around the Xmas Tree. Over the past few Xmases, because my children are scattered, and we don't get to do a homecooked Xmas meal, I have lost interest trying. I did finally locate the apron only last week - I wanted to put it around the Xmas Tree we had at our restaurant - but obviously not. Same with Xmas cards you have left over from the previous year. Oh well, there is always next Xmas?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8397778

Sometimes we just have to consider that there will be a next Christmas and hopefully we'll put things back exactly where they belong but, being human, we have the tendency to just put something in the wrong place "for just a minute", lose our train of thought too promptly, and it remains among the missing for a very long time.

You could always use a Post It note on the December page of your 2011 calendar to remind you just where that Christmas tree apron is and hopefully you will not move it again before you need it next time.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 17, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8432195

Cool tip on writing on a calendar where you stashed something you know you will want to use later. Wish I would have done something such as that with my Christmas dish ware. Hahaha...still harping on those missing dishes.

Ruby
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8432415

Our calendars are so filled with medical appointments that I'd need a "locator" calendar to find things! Imagine if we were sick? These are all routine appointments.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8433081

I have notes on my calender to remind me to do different things throughout the year like; April has a note buy pots and dirt for a houseplant that I am going to take a huge amount of cuttings from. June has notes on preparing for a July trip we are taking. Some (most)things are too 'wordy' to put on that month, so I print out or write a list and clip it to the back page of the calendar. Ruby, you might put a note for looking in the attic for lost Christmas stuff in May when the weather is nicer.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 18, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8434290

I can identify Pirl, during the winter months especially, it seems that pretty much the only time I leave the house is to go to a doctor.

Thanks for the idea Juney. Today it is lovely temperatures here. I am going to really have to psych myself up with some pep talks in order for me to take the chance of climbing the attic ladder and going up there myself. As long as someone is in the house with me and knows what I am doing and on the look out for me, I will be fine. I sometimes find myself in situations that are unsafe and there is no one in the house and I imagine myself falling and not being found for hours.

I'll tell you...when I do find those dishes, they will be given the honor they deserve. They will be put where there will no chance of them getting lost again. All of this goes to say...unless I have given them away or sold them at some point and cannot remember. My bad...hope that isn't the case, and I don't really think it is.

Have I wished you all a good weekend yet?

Ruby

nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

April 3, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8470169

I brought 3 bags of clothing from my mom's house. The plan was to take them to the vintage clothing store to sell, but the store is not open at present due to some family issues. Now I have to make a decision what to do with them. They are old outfits from the 70's, a lot of polyester. If I send them to Goodwill, or some place like that, they will probably just pitch them becuse they are so out of style, but I know there are people that like these vintage clothes, so I hate to do that. I am not even that concerned about getting money for them, but I hate to see them just trashed. So, there they sit, mocking me! Decluttered my mom's by cluttering my own place.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8470192

Not mocking you, just waiting for action from you. You could: post them on ebay or craigslist, look for a place that sells vintage wear in a town nearby, wait for one of the folks here that knows more about selling than I do... :-) You are right that these need to go where their customers are. Otherwise they will be bailed up and sent to the next disaster hotspot or sold for rags. I know that there is a tremendous market for them; they are so trendy and cool to the grandkids of the people that wore them first.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8470206

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1TSHBCENUS345&q=middleton penn vintage clothing stores&btnG=Google Search&aq=1p&oq=da&aqi=g-p3g7#q=middleton penn vintage clothing stores&hl=en&sa=G&rlz=1G1TSHBCENUS345&prmd=ivnscm&source=univ&tbs=plcs:1&tbo=u&ei=gzuZTdi5CYaKvgO4jvn7Cw&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQtQMwAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=fd1a2cf87d4138e7
There are a lot of stores in your area, just not so many in your town. You might try some of the others while you wait for your store to reopen.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 4, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8470649

Great ideas Juney. If you can wait a bit and don't want to drive too far, use one of the bins you purchased for your own clothing storage Tracey. Hopefully the shop owners will return soon. Heck, I have had bins sitting in every room of my house for months now as I have been de-cluttering and better organizing my home. They only reeeeaaaaalllllllly start getting on my nerves after sitting going in to month number two. hahaha

Let us know what you end up doing.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8470762

Why not post them on Freecycle? Someone may need the clothes and enjoy wearing them. Or someone may do quilting or other crafts and could cut them up and repurpose them.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

April 4, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8471273

This morning, beofore I read all your great suggestions, I took all 3 bags to the attic, until I figure out what to do with them. I have company coming so I wanted them out of sight. I will look into other shops in my area. I only know of one other that takes vintage, and I think they have started to get away from the clothing stuff because they also do piercing and tatoos and that is more profitable.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

June 30, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9187931

rubyw wrote:Cool tip on writing on a calendar where you stashed something you know you will want to use later. Wish I would have done something such as that with my Christmas dish ware. Hahaha...still harping on those missing dishes.

Ruby

I like the post it on the Calendar, and I wish my husband had done that when he put my old passport in a safe place, I have the paperwork made out for getting a new one, photo in hand, but have to find the old passport to get it cancelled! :( My mother always put things in a safe place, never finding them again, until she was searching for something else altogether. A vicious circle!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9198830

I hear you biddy. Same thing here, over and over again. It has really been an interesting time around here the past month or so as I have been packing up pretty much every belonging we own and having the floors empty of anything so that carpeting could be installed. It took me a month or so to pack everything and for my hubby to store in our shed and garage.

During the midst of all of this, he suddenly wants to find his IPOD. The story of the IPOD is a friend gave it to him about six or eight months ago and it sat on his dresser for all those months. During the middle of the packing, he suddenly wants to use it and asks me to locate it. Maddening for me to say the very least. After all of these months, he now wants it!!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!!!!

I spent one whole day trying to recall which box I might have put it in. After racking my brain and using up a day's energy I came to the conclusion that I didn't remember ever doing anything with this tiny, less than hand size implement. He finally, after worrying me sick over it looked, or re-looked in a spot where he might have possible put it, and low and behold...viola...he found it.

Now, there are three skelton keys missing that operate three china cabinets that we need to find soon in order to put the china cabinets back inside the house. I do know that I don't plan to worry myself sick over the keys the way I did the IPOD because it just wasn't worth it. They will show up eventually, and that suits me fine.

Hope that everyone has a very enjoyable week. Hope you find your old passport soon biddy.

Ruby
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 11, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9238279

coleup wrote:Just wondering, isn't there a way to convert photos to digital form (like vhs tapes and movies) or do you have to start with digital? Sure would take up a lot less space...and I've seen some of my daughter's digital albums and how easy it is to do.

BC I love your cat! Those mini MLTs look very whisker like.

Welcome Biddy. This is quite a group. Hope you'll stick around. Is where you live considered rural? Glad the floods spared you. Scary. One of the things I'd try to grab in a like emergency are some photographs. I could spend hours just looking thru old family photos: each one was like reading a book to me We've done some printing of photos on to fabric projects like T shirts for our family reunions or as quilt pieces. My daughter does a calendar for the Grand parents each year with pics of grandson's.. I really enjoy that.

Judy

Sorry Judy,

I am not good at Dave's Garden format and haven't figured out to follow posts. Just flicking through and got back on this thread. Funny you should say about the quilting and calendar. A girlfriend of mine has been quilting for a long time and she can print momento's as well as photographs to add to the quilts. She made me a lovely quilt for my 60th this year. There is a piece of fabric she printed the message on from her to me, makes it very special. My eldest of 4 is married and I have two grandchildren, so I look forward to the calendar she makes of their past year activities. Photo's aren't really the same anymore, we can keep on the computer, which has its advantages and disadvantages - not as personal as opening a photo album. Sure saves on space though. When in Qld it was close to rural I guess, as you didn't have to go more than 5 minutes to be in the country. 3 1/2 hours north of Brisbane. We moved back to Vic last November. Sadly our business had to close due to the economy and a domino of other factors! Here's to health and happiness and retirement for me hopefully!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 11, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9238312

rubyw wrote:I hear you biddy. Same thing here, over and over again. It has really been an interesting time around here the past month or so as I have been packing up pretty much every belonging we own and having the floors empty of anything so that carpeting could be installed. It took me a month or so to pack everything and for my hubby to store in our shed and garage.

During the midst of all of this, he suddenly wants to find his IPOD. The story of the IPOD is a friend gave it to him about six or eight months ago and it sat on his dresser for all those months. During the middle of the packing, he suddenly wants to use it and asks me to locate it. Maddening for me to say the very least. After all of these months, he now wants it!!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!!!!

I spent one whole day trying to recall which box I might have put it in. After racking my brain and using up a day's energy I came to the conclusion that I didn't remember ever doing anything with this tiny, less than hand size implement. He finally, after worrying me sick over it looked, or re-looked in a spot where he might have possible put it, and low and behold...viola...he found it.

Now, there are three skelton keys missing that operate three china cabinets that we need to find soon in order to put the china cabinets back inside the house. I do know that I don't plan to worry myself sick over the keys the way I did the IPOD because it just wasn't worth it. They will show up eventually, and that suits me fine.

Hope that everyone has a very enjoyable week. Hope you find your old passport soon biddy.

Ruby

Ruby,

Yes, the passport was found and I have now my new passport signed, sealed and delivered and I have put it in the filing cabinet under "passports" - I know that is a funny place to put it, according to husbands! Hope you find your keys. I have been through that one myself! It is a day to day drama as to where I put things like that. I really have to stick to a system. Sadly, we are renting here and we can't put up permanent hooks on walls - so we have tried stick on hooks on filing cabinet, fridge and hanging calenders on stick on hooks on kitchen tiles, the the cold winter plays tricks, and they constantly fall down! Thus, nowhere to hang my keys. I have possibly answered my own question, I think I will leave them on the little table near the front door in a vase! Have a great day and happy hunting! LOL
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 11, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9238324

coleup wrote:or at least a new picture lol !!!!!!!

Thanks Pirl I do carry my Passport and a certified copy of Birth when I travel. Got my Passport renewed just before the rates went up. Pic is ok but not stellar. No current plans to travel abroad yet.

So, my "family of origin" though I"ve done much work is what I continually hold on to, repurpose, declutter, but can't seem to let go of and as I journey into Grandmahood new decluttering and repurposing/recycling is called for to bring the best to my offspring's offsprings.

Thinking here of the song "The Times They Are A Changing" and the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity to get out of the way or lend a hand and the courage and wisdom to do what is necessary today...

I hadn't read the previous happenings with your birth certificate until today! I have four children and I hope I never forget what days or date they were born - cause then I will know senility is just around the corner! I don't understand why the Govt authority does not have the record of your birth, regardless that the hospital burned down! In Australia, babies have to be registered at birth! That is how they present you with a birth certificate. Is this different in the USA? Let's hope you go on that holiday and enjoy - I hope I do too! Di ps The times sure are a changin' -- love the old folk memories of the 60's!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 14, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9240987

Thanks for writing Biddy. Hmmm...can't say for sure, but probably much the same process for obtaining birth certificates here. When having my two sons, I can remember a hospital employee coming around taking all vital statistics regarding baby in order to be sent to the State Records Office. I believe there is a time period of six weeks or something in order to apply for a birth certificate. I ordered a copy of my birth certificate a year or so ago in order to get a time of birth and dang it, wasn't even on there, so I don't know what time of day I was born. Anyway...

Keys still have not turned up even though I have emptied numerous bins so far. Yesterday I was so wishing that I had just stuck the three keys I am missing in the junk drawer in the kitchen rather than sticking them in a ceramic frog that needs repair and then not remembering where I put it!!! Why????? Really can't move along too far in the process of unpacking and organizing until these keys show up.

Yesterday's unpacking was quite pleasurable because I found some things that I plan to have a friend try to sell on ebay for me. My plan for the many items that are still packed up is to down size by a good degree and first try to sell anything that I can before donating. Worked well doing this two years ago.

I feel a bit guilty that this thread has taken a different direction than it was opened for, so decided I would mention something along the lines of the subject title for here. Unusual uses for things. I just went back and read the first entry from Butterflychaser. Much, much later and here is my idea for the kitty bag. I think he would look cute as an addition to a bathroom. I am not sure what size he is, but would he hold extra rolls of toilet tissue maybe?

I know that one thing I often use vases, cute coffee mugs or anything that I believe to be beautiful or eye catching and want as part of my decor, I make it a pencil and pen holder and set in places around the house where I might need writing instruments. Reminds me, may have to go looking for something to use beside where I sit and watch TV, because at the moment there are five or six ink pens sitting atop the side table. Off for the search...

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America