AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8294593

I just received the "2011 MOON PLANTING guide for gardeners" and I am really impress.
This guide has a colorful calendar with every day of the month with drawings that help you to understand what and when to plant. Also moon signs and other stuff.
It is really easy to understand.
I bought it on Amazon.
You can read the description here:
http://www.aracariaguides.com/shop/index.php/guides/moon-planting-guide-2011.html
I think this guide is much more advanced than the Farmer's Almanac and takes in consideration the Zodiac signs.

Enjoy

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8296610

According to your posted link, the guide cost $15 and the shipping is also $15. I think it would be worth it but outside my budget. I hope you will continue to post on the forum. Cam

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8297534

The link is from the company that makes the guide, which is in Australia.
You need to buy the guide from Amazon, so you will have free shipping.
This guide is a little bit different from the Farmer's Almanac.
It has so much more and I will be following this calendar this year. My friends too.
It is kind of hard to write it down ... so many colorful drawings, moon up and down.
The guide really explain in very easy terminology the "byo-dinamic" culture.
I hope it will help me to deterr those monsters of Squash Vine Borers ... (giggles)

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8300737

Thanks for the tip. I know my farming ancestors planted by the moon but I bought and almanac and I dont think it was the real thing altho it looked like it. It seemed like more entertainment than real planting information but I am still eager to try the old method so I'm really interested in the book. Thanks, Cam
RoseyQ
Crystal Lake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8347067

Mager's is a planting chart based on the Southern Hemisphere and Australian Eastern Standard Time, which I didn't know until I began reading it. The author says to adjust for daylight savings time and different time zones. I have no idea how to do this and to complicate things more, aren't their summers our winters here in the Midwest?

Anyway, I don't think I will use Mager's guide though it is nicely illlustrated and a fairly good explanation of how lunar planting works is included. One thing that puzzles me is that he advises readers to plant fruit and plants producing seed crops in fire signs (barren signs).

Mager's calender seems a lot like the Kimberton Hills Biodynamic Agricultural Planting Guide in theory.

If you are new to lunar gardening (planting by the moon), I highly recommend Divine Inspiration's Gardening By the Moon because it's very simple and straight forward where as the others are not.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8678346

I received my book for 2011 yesterday and read it this morning while waiting for my DW who was having a surgical procedure. Then I read it again and I'm still not sure I understand it. For those of us not familiar with the zodiac and ecliptics, nodes, trines, etc. it is all very confusing. But being the trooper that I am I will persevere and do my best to follow the calendar and hope good things happen in the garden.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8678401

drthor
Ok, which book is it? I just realized I purchased the "2011 North American Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar (Maria & Matthias Thun), not the "2011 Moon Planting Guide" book. How many books are you touting and how much do you receive for each one that sells based on your recommendation? I feel betrayed as well as broke! (ha!).

If the Moon Planting Guide is easier to understand, I may switch for 2012. I really need a “Moon Planting Guide for Dummies”!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8678705

hrp50,
I love the Maria Thun book. That's is what I ended up following.
Don't worry about this ... even if I really like it, Maria's is much better.
I have already pre-ordered in Amazon teh 2012 Maria Thun calendar.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8678725

Do you know where I can sign up for a class that teaches about the Zodiac and all that is involved? Keep an eye out for that book that I'm looking for, "Planting by the Moon for Dummies".

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8678746

Actually keep your eyes open on the list of classes at NHG.
The last saturday of each month (apart summer) the Herb Society of Dallas met there and they have fantastic free classes.
One of the member said that she is researching the planting by the moon and soon she will give a lecture.
kathy__bee
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8697011

What is NHG? It sounds interesting, esp since there's no "Dummies" book available. Or can you recommend a starter's guide?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8697321

I am glad that you are asking because you are missing the best nursery in town.
NHG = North Haven Garden, check the address here; http://www.nhg.com
Not only it is an amazing nursery with very unusual and colletcors plants, but they have the best FREE education programs in the DFW area.
Check their website under "EVENTS"
Enjoy
kathy__bee
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8697778

Awesome! Thank you! I had a neighbor once who gardened by the moon. He was very nice and a bit kooky, but he always had great success with his vegetable garden. For three years I have tried to grow tomatoes with poor results. Maybe I should give it a try. We are putting in a kitchen garden soon and it could be fun to experiment with this technique. As for my flower beds, I have never been happy with the standard fare available from the local DIY stores. It should be fun to see what they have.
Thanks, Kathy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America