Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: heat mats and lighting

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 187, Views: 1,070
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 6, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8294976

I am going to try my hand at growing seeds indoors but I have a few questions. I was told that you have to have a heating mat or they wont grow is this true ? My husband is going to build me a growing stand but the cost of heating mats is way out of our budget. also when you have lights in the stand do they have to be able to move up and down or can they be fixed in one spot. lastly we are going to use shop lights does one bulb work better than another. thanks Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8295102

Some seeds germinate quicker and grow better with heat mats but not all of them. Google heating cables - much less expensive than heating mats for what you might need.

Lights should be able to move up and down. They need to be close to the growing plants and raised as the plants grow.

We've only used shop lights - one warm, one cool.
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

January 6, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8296375

I am using an old electric heating pad that still works. It does keep the soil warm. So it seems to be working.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 6, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8296512

As reported by Dr. Norm Deno (Second Supplement to Seed Germination and Theory), published studies by Henry M. Cathey showed that unless you are starting seeds in unusually cold conditions (e.g. the poorly-heated homes of a century ago, unheated greenhouses, very cold basements), heat mats are unnecessary. Room temperature (~70 degrees F, ~20 degrees C) is ideal, and temperatures above it are not necessary or desirable, except in very rare cases of a few specific species.
So, anecodotally, I know that people think heat mats are helpful or necessary, but that belief doesn't stand up to testing. I've certainly never found any use for them in a house with central heating even though my planting area is in the basement.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 7, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8296716

Thank you for the responses, I am going to give it a go with out the heating mats. my basement is also the garage under our house so it stayes no cooler than 65 so I am going to start them there.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8296816

Our basement runs from 60 to 65 so we used a cable, as directed in a long box of sand, but saw no difference at all with getting the dahlias to start growing.

If you use supplemental heat just remember to keep a sharp eye out for the soil drying out. You don't want soggy soil but not dry either. Just damp soil is ideal.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 7, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8296922

I wonder what is best , soil or soiless for growing . are basement has a lot of hummdity but we run a dehummidifier.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8297756

Soilless mix!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8298055

I just drug into the house a huge box with a 48"x20" heating mat, a 4' 8 - tube T5HO mixed bulb fixture. 2 4' single T5HO fixtures a thermostat for the mat, timers for the lights. Now to start my $5.50 seeds. I hope I have not lost my mind. I will let you know if these things are better than my 2 10 yr old shop lights. (i'll get them new bulbs) The shop lights allways give my seeds a good start so no getting rid of them. Oh and a humidifier, 2 gal Zinsser Perma-White anti mold and mildew paint. I don't think my partner will say "Just get what you want" ever again. Wishing us both luck. Please let me know how you do. JIMT. Mobile AL.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 7, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8298324

JimT I wish you luck also! I look at any cost spent in gardening as an investmant in my health and sanity. It keeps me off the couch so I am not quite as big of a couch potatoe and I find it to be a great stress reliever I enjoy it so much and it even makes me get a little exersize in . Basicaly for me the biggest cost is getting started , the growing stand, and lights , planting trays but I look at it as a one time cost that I can use over for several years and with luck and the great advice from the wonderful folks here at DG it could pay for itsself with money I'll save not buying flowers or vegetables. I know there are other hobbies that can cost a lot more , for me gardening is pure wholesome fun and so rewarding . I know I am driving my family nuts cause all I talk about now is getting those seeds started down stairs and all the new things I am learning on DG, Thanks so much every one . Tammy
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8299451

Tammy, Just got the big lights up and all of those skinny bulbs in and to light at the same time no easy thing for me. Should have been like putting in a shop lite bulb but no, you need fingers the size of tweezers, not my grandpa's sausage fingers he gave me. 2 hrs not counting finding the studs to hang them. I'm using all of my old aquarium stands and stuff as plant stands. Got new bulbs for my old workshop fixtures. 2 min. to put in and hang. I love your reasoning behind starting your own plants.Your family will miss your plant gab once it really starts taking hold. We will both be busy keeping everything healthy. Then we can step back and say "I did that." Let me know how you are doing, I'll do the Same. JIMT. (Tell me all of the seeds you are going to start, )
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 8, 2011
11:56 PM

Post #8300049

JimT I started some seeds in my laundry room , it is more of an exsperement really. I gatherd flower seeds off my plants this past fall . I dont know if they will grow or not and I hate to plant a couble of flats of them and then they not grow it would be a waste of my materials so I figure I would plant just a couble of each . If they grow I can go ahead and move them down stairs and plant the rest of the seeds if they dont I can buy seeds . I planted petunias ,sweet william , verbinea clematis and vinnca. I was at Rural king today and I seen they had seeds in , I couldn't help it I bought bannana pepper and carrot seeds . cant wait to plant . I'll let you know how every thing does.Tammy
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8307830

Tammy I was just going to watch some TV then hit the sack.You have given me the kick in the pants I needed. I too will start some seed.Including the seed of one of a few seed pods given to me by a guy on a deep dive vessel where I was steward more than ten years ago I don't even remember what country the guy was from (maybe i'll keep some roundup close by for those.) Thanks for the inspiration. i'm starting some Coreopsis Cosmos cilantro & culantro. HA, all c's. Sleep well JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 13, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8308258

JimT , I have petunias and sweet williams coming up yea!! I have a seed I have no idea what it is to. i forgot to label it. just curious did you get snow where your at?
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8310976

Hi Tammy, Congrats on your seedlings! Nothing with mine yet. I guess a week or so. While I have some photos of snow sticking in my backyard, and a snowman about 4' tall with Oreole eyes, carrot nose, and a grapefruit slice smile.The kid building it was 12 then. He's over thirty now. So not too much of the white stuff. Last nights low was in the 20's But next week we may have low temps in the 60's & almost 70 in the afternoon, It drives plants crazy. Last year I harvested over 200 Meyer lemons from my 2 bushes, by the end of Jan. This year 0. We have crazy weather and need our own zone. The twilight zone I think. I'm so glad you have seedlings, Hope I have some to tell about soon.Goodnight JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 14, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8311163

JimT , wow thats a lot of lemons . is there a chance you may get lemons this year? I hope you see some seedlings soon, and I am sure you will . I would like to see some sunshine here, but looks like another snow storm this sunday .
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8315726

My seedlings are under a cabinet light, about 4 inches. My seedlings are still leggy. What is wrong? Is the bulb,flouresent, too small?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8315751

How close is the top of the plant to the lights?
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8316015

Hi Tammy,Got seedlings. Cilantro, Basil,Gazania,,, Chtysanthemum Carinatum(Tricolor Daisy) I 'm Trying the dasies cause I've never seen them for sale In Mobile & they look like huge gazanias. At Burpee.com just saw a petunia "Black Cat" I've never seen a Realy Black Petunia, $17.00 for three plants! in this heat!! Nope.I noticed At work we have Alot of African Iris Maybe I'll meet some of the ground crew.They seem to discard plants like crazy. I'll Take em.Early next month I'll direct sow some cosmos and 4 O' Clocks no need to start them inside down here, they grow like weeds. The 4 O' Clocks love any water spigett. Cosmos anywhere they don't care. I became scarred of damping off so put a fan in the plant room.I'ts funny I do not talk much at work but on here I have to make my self shut -up.If I properly learn to use my camera I'll send you pic's No matter how it works out. Well 2:30 gets here earlier and earlier Talk to you laterJimT.
happyannie
Shirley, IN

January 18, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8317041

Tammy ,just wanted to say it is good to see you out puttering in your yard again , you are getting around good you all healed up now ? and I can't wait to hear how your flowers are doing , has hubby built that stand yet?
Annie
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 18, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8318065

JimT I seen that black petunia in the catalog too it's to pricey for me but it is pretty. I have never heard of an African iris or seen one I am going to look that up. I am glad that you have seedlings I would love to see pictures when you can and if I ever figure out how to post pictures I will get some of my seedlings, I am not to good with computer stuff. 2.30 is that am?
Annie hi there , Yea I have been out in the yard a litttle, I move around better now but I dont get out often or stay out long when I do. I just dont handle the cold well I dont know if it is from the injuries I had or if I am just getting old { lol } . I am doing better than I thought i ever would and I am very thankfull I am able to garden . I have bad short term memory and they dont know if it will get better but that doesn't bother me much . thanks for asking . I dont have that grow stand yet but the way I keep putting things on all his shelves down stairs I figure it is just a matter of time before it starts growding him and he'll get busy on it. I saw a picture of your rose arbor it is beautiful .

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8318940

Like I said in my previous post, my plants are 4 inches from the light, & are still leggy. I'll put them 2 inches from light & see if that helps.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8319093

Close to the plants is best. Always watch that they don't burn though they do recover.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 19, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8319842

Behillman , what are you growing? I am starting to have the same problem , my neighbor told me I wasn't leaving my lights on long enough so I leave them on longer . But my friend who started hers the same day as me has left her lights going 24 hrs a day , her seedlings are also leggy. mine where about 6 inches from light so I moved them closer , I hope that moving them will help yours good luck and if you got time let me know how they do.
tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8320234

Lights on 16 hours should be sufficient.

We once left them on 24 hours, not realizing it, and had edible lettuce in three days.
happyannie
Shirley, IN

January 20, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8320263

pirl , I am going to leave the lights on 16 hours and see what happens. I can't leave them on 24 hours , my electric bill is more than I like all ready I dont want to make it go up no more than I have to. do you water your seedlings once a week and how much do you give , do you have a certain method when you water ? I was told to put water in a shallow pan then set your container in the water letting it soak up the water put I am really afraid of over watering them. do you recommend this way to water?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8320313

I didn't mean to imply that leaving them on 24 hours was good! It really isn't.

That sounds like a great method of watering. Anything is preferable to top watering, which only encourages fungus gnats. If you do get the gnats just put a small glass of apple cider vinegar near the tray.

You don't want to flood the seedlings so just leave them in the shallow pan for 5 or 10 minutes and then remove it.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8320586

Thanks , you guys. I think I did cut the lights off when I went to the store. Silly me. I think I might have thought it wouldn't hurt the plants. I'll try the l6 hour bit.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8320664

Please let us know how your plants respond. Thanks and good luck.
Melissa_in_SC
Columbia, SC

January 21, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8322201

I am going to try and plant seeds for the first time for flowers and vegetables. I will plant them in small solo cups and drill drainage holes in the bottom. I was then going to place them in a container with water in the bottom. I will place these in one of my closets of my home so the temparature will remain around 70 degrees. I have a few questions...

1. I will need to transplant the seedlings in April so when should I begin planting the seeds?
2. Do I need special lighting?
3. Is there anything else you would suggest I do or change?

Wish me luck..I have no clue as to what I am doing. :)

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8322468

Sterilize anything that comes in contact with the seeds and soil-less mix you'll be using.

You only want to water the cups when the soil is dry so don't put them in a closet with a tray of water. Why put them in a closet - just for the temperature? They'll grow fine in 65 degrees and with lights. Depending on how many seeds you plant to grow, you can start with one typical "shop" fluorescent light set up with one "warm" and one "cool" light. Just remember, as they grow you'll be potting them up and that will take more space - maybe more lights.

Use damp soil when planting the seeds and you won't have to water for at least a week.

Just use a skewer to poke the holes and do it from the inside downward - not in reverse or they'll hold more water and that's not what you want.

Cover the entire tray with Saran Wrap (or any plastic wrap) until the plants germinate, then loosen, then remove it entirely.

Raise the lights (having them on chains makes it easy) as the plants grow.

Plant roots can't absorb food as fast as you may think so when they're actively growing, about 2" high and after they have their first "true" leaves, just use food at half or quarter strength.

For planting outside on April 15th I'd plant the seeds February 15th. Go to the next size cup (like 16 oz. size) March 15th, plant outdoors April 15th.

If you have more questions just ask and if I think of anything else I'll post here.

In this photo you can see the chains for the lights and how the lights have to be adjusted in height as different plants grow at different rates: impatiens and coleus stay low while tomatoes grow large.

Good luck.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8322469

Plastic wrap covering trays:

Thumbnail by pirl

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 21, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8323501

pirl, that is a nice growing setup you have. How often do you need to use plant food on your seedlings? I love the plastic wrap idea . Its cheap and I like it because it is clear enough to see through. once your seedlings get there true leaves is this when you thin them out ? I would like to transplant any extra seedlings that came up , I assume that there should be one plant per cell ? I am worried that I may damage the roots of the seedlings when I try to transplant them , has this been a problem for you , do you have a certain way to remove seedlings with uot damaging there roots? thanks for any info. Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8323858

Thanks. Remove the plastic wrap as each seedling sprouts - don't wait for the true leaves. You can fold back the plastic so the seeds yet emerged will stay damp.

Just plant two seeds per cup and the strongest seedling wins. Cut the other one off at the soil line. We don't remove the second seedling - just cut it off. If you want to remove it then give it a try but wait until it has four leaves and avoid touching the stem - it's the weakest part. The roots are stronger. Be careful!

Don't feed them until they have their first two true leaves and only a weak solution. Remember the roots can't absorb much food at the start. As they grow taller you can give them more food.

You'd want to mix the food into water (a pail or Sheetrock pail works well) and feed them that way. Water from the bottom only and only when they need it. Don't rely on looking at the top and seeing it dry and believing they need water. Stick your finger down an inch and see if the soil is damp. If not, then water.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8325962

Hi,Tammy, It seems i've way over seeded quite a few cells.Only a few have their second set of leaves I guess I'll wait a couple more days and then start to fertilize. I thought i'd have more time than this. I am glad pirl answered you in such detail i'll follow her moves. This is all new to me too. To me She has all her ducks in a row. Do y'all think I should use diluted fish emulsion? Would this bring in too much Fungus or bacteria? I have a Miricle-Gro product..."Quick Start Planting and transplant solution" Is this good for seedlings diluted? Is Making my own transplant pots from old newspaper a good idea? Or just buy peat or coconut pots? Should the Pots be 2" or 4"? And Tammy I've written to you three times before this. I went back to add or correct something, Pressed Backspace and Everything went away. It was so late, & I just got so mad that I've been holding my breath like a kid till now. I had no idea you had been injured. I'm glad you are using plants as an avenue to keep your self active.(and help folks like me) Your seedfriend JIMT. (D-Mail me,I'll D-Mail you)JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8326162

There are many seeds my husband refers to as being "dust". They are so tiny that's it's almost hard not to overseed. Then you have a choice - pluck some out and hope they'll survive or just let them fight it out and hope the strongest survive. Each method has drawbacks so try it both ways.

The diluted transplant solution sounds ideal, Jim.

I've tried peat pots and poo pots but don't like either of them. If you use them be sure to remove the upper potion of the rim when you plant them outside or the rim will not be a help to growing plants with success as it will act as a wick. Also remove some of the bottom of each peat pot so the roots won't have to fight to get to the real earth, where you want them to grow.

The size of the pot should be determined by the plant. A tomato will want a larger pot than a petunia or impatiens or coleus.

If anyone ever wants to try fish emulsion make sure the container says DEODORIZED or you'll end up hating yourself and the stink.

We've never tried the newspaper pots, Jim, because we felt they'd get too wet and that's not good for the plant. I'm sure some people have had great success with it but I can't help you with a better answer.

Go very easy with any fertilizer.
happyannie
Shirley, IN

January 24, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8327131

I have tried fish emulsion it said it was deoderized but it still stinks I would hate to smell the un deodorized. I didn,t think it worked that great.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8327169

I've found the exact same problem - it stinks and I didn't see any difference. Of course, the difference just might not be seen by the human eye - I don't know. I would stick with the starter solution but I'd still dilute to less than what the directions say. New tiny roots can be easily damaged.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8328306

Hi,pirl I just dumped the water from the water tray.I have some old litmus testing strips. Why I still have them or what they were ment to test I just don't know. But glad I'm a bit of a hoarder now. They are stiff enough to get to the bottom of the cells and very moisture sensitive. Now I won't have to disturb any roots with my sausage fingers to check for dryness. The next watering they get will have their first meal mixed in at 1/4 strength NO squashed fish juice. Then pot up!! I have enough basil up to...I can't even think of anything but Quarts of cilantro basil pesto. pirl,Do you know anything about a selaginella called Peacock fern? I left all of mine in ground and it has lived through a few low 20s nights and is turning some bizarre colours but they seem to be holding their own just covered with a layer of oak leaves. Am I pressing my luck by not bringing some of the plant inside? and is clump sowing a good idea for starting seeds inside under lights?JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8328411

Clump sowing of what plant?

Why not cover the endangered plant with a large nursery pot turned upside down to further protect it. Sorry but I don't know the culture of the plant or the low temperatures it can tolerate.

Good! No sausage fingers! You found the ideal solution.

Make sure they have a few leaves before you feed and go easy. I can't stress it enough: not too much food and go slowly with the food.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 25, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8330447

Jimtomczak, yea I got 11 seedlings in one cell too , I guess I need to get my little snippers out. I tried fish emulsion on my berrie bushes I didn't really see a benefit from it , what I did see was cats scratching all around my bushes and I am sure it was the smell that atracted them to the bushes. Melissa I hope you have fun growing your seedlings and keep us updated , Pirl I really appreciate all the help you give us here. have you ever grown any kind of sedum from seeds I see the plants for sell but have only seen the seeds in a couble of catologs so I wonder if they are hard to grow. Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8331210

I've never tried sedum from seed. I had quite a few sedums and a friend sent 10 more as a gift.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 26, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8332364

I want to groww red dragons blood sedum , any hints or tips on growing sedum I guess i will start with plants instead of weeds .do you have anything planted along with your sedum as companion plants? any ideas what would go along with the red sedum?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8332379

I use sedum 'Dragon's Blood' in between pieces of slate, in a path, in one garden. I'm sure I rip out more each year than is sold locally! It grows so wild here.

Other sedums go nicely with hosta, heuchera and the larger ones are good at hiding spent stems of other plants.
happyannie
Shirley, IN

January 27, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8332950

Does your red sedum spread very fast that sounds real pretty on your path I'd like to plant it on a hill at the side of my property. I have onother question for you I have mulch down in an area but no flowers can I plant flower mostly plants right in the mulch or should I remove the mulch?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8332971

Yes, it grows very fast. It covers too much of the slate and (being older) I'm too afraid of slipping on the slate/sedum with the morning dew on it.

No problem. Just push the mulch aside, dig the hole and put in the plant, water well and replace the mulch.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 27, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8333648

Sedum are one of the easy and prolific perinials that I have . Belle
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8333652

I agree.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8336295

To any one going to use T5HO lighting for the first time. Those skinny little bulbs are HOT. I had them 12" above a mahonia I'm rooting. (and they have some really tough thick leaves) talking about a sunburn. They had too much leaf on them to root quickly anyway, I had to cut all of the 5 inch leaves and keep less than 1/2 inch of each. I should have done it a couple of months ago but did not know i'd have to do it to a burn victim. 29" above the table top seems to be ok. You don't need a heating mat turned on higher than 73 degrees while your lights are on. Even at that hight. I'm glad it was caught early enough that they didn't bake my seeds. At 29" it keeps the cells a nice 78 degrees & No leggy seedlings. pirl thanks for the dilution solution 1/4 tsp per gal. Tammy I saw a coral "cactus" looks like a sedum ta me. It is at Lowes. I've never seen a living plant look so much like coral in my life. I think if you want sedum take a look at this it's well worth a look.JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 29, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8337889

hi all, I have another question, i got a really good deal on a box of shop light bulbs but they are all cool bulbs 35 watts i think, will they work for growing seedlings ? and to update you , my husband , my son and I all started building my grow stand this weekend [ ok I mostly supervise } I also had my first casultiy with my seedlings . My vincas were doing so good but i watered them along with the rest of my seedlings, the same amount, but i think I over watered them . the leaves turned a much lighter green then they just wilted and well you know the rest. so I am thinking not all seedlings take the same amount of water. Pirl do you have any ideas on what idid wrong, could I have over watered? Jimt I am going to Lowes tomorrow to check out the flowers if they have any in yet it maybe to early here.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8337915

It does sound bad. Try propping the tray to the side and see if more water comes out. It works that way with pots.

While you're at Lowe's buy a few warm lights. You need one cool and one warm light for each fixture. Give yourself the advantage of the right lights and you'll do fine.

Only water from the bottom! I could repeat that 100 times but people always want to see wet soil and they water from the top. It is not a good idea - a very bad one in fact. After 5 or 10 minutes lift the plants and empty the water - do not try to use it again, please.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8345871

HI, How is the weather everyone? even down here in Mobile Al. some sleet mixed with snow managed to show up. Nasty stuff. I was riding with a mom and her little girl. She asked her mom "what kind of rain is this?" We don't get much of this. The temps have been much lower this winter. I hope every one up above is fairing OK. Tammy I Hope your plants make it.JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8345970

I find the snow so beautiful but not the ice/sleet/slush.

Here's a local vineyard:

Thumbnail by pirl

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 3, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8346226

I love the picture pirl, what a beautiful sky, I think it is so pretty when you get a fresh snow and no tracks are in it yet the sunshine or moon hits it just right and it looks like a million diamonds shining. the ice is pretty on the trees till it starts breaking the limbs and makes your trees look awlful . the weather has pretty much stopped every one here in the part of indiana I live in. Pirl you are so wise I will only water from the bottom but how often should I use miracle grow on them I know to use a weeker solution now thanks to you but do I use it every time I water? also I was wondering I am going to try some sedum plants can you plant other flowers with them or will they choke them out if you can do you have any suggestions as to what would be a good companion plant for them? Jimt has the cooler temps effected your plants you have planted outside?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8346481

Thanks, Tammy. I'd like to be brave enough to go out and take more photos but it's so cold out there and so warm in here. It's so hard to see the downed limbs of trees. It's not the pretty part of winter.

Use half strength MG and water with it (ONLY after they have true leaves) every time you water, which should be infrequent while they're small and more as they grow larger but drenching new plants is NOT a good idea. You do NOT want them wet - damp is fine.

Which sedums are you trying, Tammy? Size at maturity?

The following applies to large sedums of about 8" and taller:

When you have established sedums, just say a year old, allow about 8 to 12" around each of them and then you can plant a wide variety of either annuals (best bet) or perennials around the sedums. As the sedums grow you'll want the extra space so that's why I'd recommend the annuals. If you planted perennials that close to the sedum you'd only have to move them - doubling the work. We gardeners try to avoid double the work - LOL.

Here's disaster - I love this sedum, green and white at the center near the bottom in this photo, but the ajuga is SO aggressive that it would have devoured the sedum if I left it there so I just ripped out the ajuga. Sorry for the fuzzy photo.

At the top of the photo is the 'Angelina' sedum. That grows very fast and even dropped pieces will root. Here they've rooted in between bricks.

Thumbnail by pirl

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 6, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8358068

Pirl the sedum I am planning on planting is creeping red sedum it is called fulda glow the catolog says they grow to 3 to 4 " are sedums very fragrant? I love the ones in your picture . they look very nice in between the bricks . the ajuga in the picture is it the blue flowered plant? I have never seen it before . I am thinking of getting a rose bush i seen quite afew in the catologs but my friend told me that the hardware stores like lowes will have them in early spring I dont know any thing about roses do you know if they are harder to grow ? I know the weather is very cold and down right dangerous to walk outside I dont blaim you at all for staying indoors were it is warm. perhaps when spring gets here and your flowers start blooming you can take a few pictures I would love to see your flowers, and garden .Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8358082

The blue flower is ajuga.

To my nose sedums aren't fragrant but I hope if anyone reading this knows of a fragrant one they will post the name and a photo of it.

I kill more roses than anyone I know so ask an expert, not me! Sorry. You can generally find Mr. Lincoln, a long time favorite with a wonderful scent, at any of the big box stores. You could not go wrong with that one.

We still have snow but it was warm outside today!
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8359666

I have my tomatoe seedlings growing, with the 2nd leaf coming out. I have added a condesendt light to go with the flourescent. All the plants have turned toward the condesentt light. I am leaving the light on for l2 hrs. a day, & the plants are almost touching the bulbs. Soon I will beable to transplant.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8359675

That's your choice - to transplant or wait for them to get a bit larger.

You can always turn the tray in the opposite direction if they lean too much.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 8, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8361595

Behillman, did most of your tomatoe seeds come up? thats wonderful that they are doing so well let us know how they do once you transplant them. Pirl I think I will get the MrLincoln My garden book says they are pretty hardy. I hope your weather keeps getting warmer . I bought some plant starting mix it was a cheapest that mennards had but I am not to sure about it . It looks like there is a lot of wood in it and not very much soil if any and when I plant seeds and watered it didn't seem to hold any moisture i am a little leary of useing it now. I wonder if I should mix it with soil or a good potting mix .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8361624

Don't mix it with garden soil! You'll regret it. Big pieces of wood isn't good so, in the future try to pick them out and discard them.

Use a bin and first dampen (not drench) the soil, then put the soil in plastic starter trays or cell packs - make sure you sterilize them first! After that is when you plant the seeds.

Mr. Lincoln is beautiful and smells terrific. So does Peace, which is yellow/reddish edges.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8368416

Hi Tammy,Pirl, I've been out of it for a while. Clumsy me. ( I forget i'm not 30 but 57) Cracked a rib. Meds had me laughing at the posts I attempted. Today I'll pot up all of my seedlings. Knowing I can do it right this time. Tammy, I hope your plants are comming along as well as you want them to, Lawd knows you spent enough love and time on them.Did your men folk complete the plant shelves. I made 50 paper pots that was my limit after the rib thing. The rest will be coconut, Peat, & plastic from last year. That should take care of the first group. Pirl I never asked you so the point is moot now.BUT. After using the 10/1 bleach solution on every single item I use to seed, & with no thought about undoing the streilizing, I have been using my rain barrel water for every watering need from germination and still am now.Can you tell me what negative effect it could have? Is there any sign of distress the plants may show that a beginner would consider normal or just not notice but later on prove fatal to the growing plants? Y'all answer when able. JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8368575

Are you going to tell us what you were doing when you cracked a rib or are we left to wonder about it?

I don't use rainwater but know of one person who does and she strains it but I don't know if she does more than that. I will ask her and report back here when I get the answer.

After you sterilize your trays and equipment you can let them air dry or rinse and let them air dry. When we haven't rinsed them not a thing went wrong.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8368759

Pirl, I was carrying a lg. lexan pan of chicken or whatever, way too fast. Hit a column at full tilt. I felt some muffled pain and said $#@%^ ouch. That was about it. But at my age They never take a chance. So It was a cracked rib. Doc said OK to return to work(limited blah,blah) but it was a big OUCH. Ace bandages still on. But all over now . I am potting up everything tonight (started this afternoon) and starting 144 more if I don't poop out. I fear I may. Bought a Black Rose, Baby toes, candalabra kalanchoe,Tammy got me on a succulent cacti binge ($4.00) Pirl thanks for asking,Yours Truly JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8368799

Jimtom - sorry to hear of the accident and now wonder if I should ask who put that stupid column in your way.

Anyhow, my friend mamasita, here on DG, said it's fine to use the rain water as it is. Just don't let it wait for any long amount of time before using it.

I'd suggest you could use snow but you might have to come up here for that!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8368872

Thanks, Wish I could.JIMT. And as to who put that column there. I don't know. It has been in the same place for at least 25 years. Thanks JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 12, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8369144

JimT did I understand you right that you went back to work ? I am not judging your Dr. , but I would bet he has never had a busted up rib !! I know how painful that is, it hurt for me to take a breath and it took a while to heal up. You make sure your carefull when working, that sneaky column may just have it out for you! I am very interested on how your cacti do I have never grown any , did you buy them as plants or are you starting them from seed ? Do the come in seed form? My husband and I worked on the shelf today we went and got the rest of my light bulbs so I hope it gets finished by this next weeekend. Pirl do you grow vegetable beans of any kind ? if so I wonder I like navy beans , and butter beans are they the same thing as lima beans only fixed different , and can they be started indoors also?

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8369383

Funny about that column, JimT, but not about the ouch!

Tammy - we've never started any beans indoors. We did grow Lima beans directly in the garden in the past but they were a lot of shelling work for Jack. He sorted as he shelled and the bowl of tiny ones was always empty - I wonder why. Maybe because I ate them as fast as he shelled them.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8369464

Hi Tammy & Pirl, I did not start the succulents and cactus from seed, got them at Lowes.The germination times for the cactus I wanted are longer than my attention span & the lifeline in my palm, So I just bought them at Lowes. I am on light duty And the meds help bunches. The column now has a red stripe. It spruces the joint up a bit !!! JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8369477

Funny, JimT!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8374206

Hey, Just planted up 20 basil (more) 18-Tri-colour chrysanthemums, Gazanias out the kazoo into 3" pots and the rest of the cilantro. I recon I'll be getting the Culantro from a big box store.Tammy how are your plants getting along? Pirl Thanks for all of your informed advice. I read everything you put in this thread, Do you think it is too late to start Mimulus Blotch down here in south al.(re-start).JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8374236

Good luck with all your seedlings, JimT. I've never grown Mimulus - sorry!
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 15, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8374312

JimT , my seedlings are half and half right now half are doing real good and half kicked the bucket . my son needed to move the shelf they were on so he took them off, he remembered to put the bigger seedlings back on the top of the shelf but he put the other by the outside wall Ithink they froze. my husband has gout in his foot so we havent finished the grow stand yet but when we do I will plant all my seeds then . My clematis is doingf real well I am not sure what kind it is I was given a couble of seeds I know they are small and yellow at least that is the one she though she got them offf of , I dont care just glad there growing Pirl you getting some warmth your way?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8374934

The clematis is likely tangutica Radar Love. It's supposed to flower in four months from sowing.

No warmth yet. They keep promising warm weather but it hasn't yet arrived and I have a serious case of cabin fever.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8376317

hi Tammy your clematis reminded me There is a clematis called Passion flower clematis. a really good photo right here at daves. Take a look tell me what you think. I love it. Am going into the woods behind my home to check on some I marked last year not the clematis lookalike just some Maypops (delicious) and lots of nice coreopsis wild ginger and stuff it is getting about that time In L.A. lower alabama. sorry to hear some of your babies froze.Pirl I'm just going to try the Monkey flowers anywho.I think they do OK under lights inside too. Night all JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8376641

JimT - I have about 100 clematises but never heard of a Passion flower clematis. I have had Passion flower but it is not a clematis. A search of the database here at DG failed to turn up any clematis with the name of Passion flower.

Good luck with the Monkey flowers.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8380492

Pirl(every time I ttype Pirl) I think of Janis Joplins last album Pearl. I think if you have 100 plus Clematis this one may allready be in your collection,I looked for an easy reference. It's Clematis Florida "Sieboldii" Whatever, I love the wild passiflora in Al. For some reason I can't get it to come back each year.Just two miles away a guy can't get rid of it and it goes under his driveway after a good spray of round up and keeps on toward his neighbors yards.Go figure?JIMT
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8380557

I've tried clematis Florida 'Sieboldii' twice and it died both times. I have only one tiny photo for all my time, effort and money. I won't try it again (never say never) but it is gorgeous.

I have to bring any passifloras in for the winter to save them for the following year.

It's truly amazing how climates differ in even just one mile. My friend gets frost at least a week earlier than we do and, as the crow flies, she's barely a half mile away.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 19, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8380950

Pirl oh how I would love to see your climatice , they are such a beautiful flower , I had no idea there were so many . I have a white one and also The President I would like to have more , do you have a favorite ? for some reason we dont have alot growing around my county. can you recommend one that grows all summer. I was wondering to, I have my white growing next to my brick chimminy my husband bought me a blaze climbing rose bush I am going to plant it there also do you know if the white will be ok growing with the rose or should I move it? I am sooo glad you are on this site I am learning so much.
Jimt Wow in reference to Pearl did that take me back in time. when I was younger I listened to Janis all the time , in fact there was a time when I thought I too needed a Mercedes Benz.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8381056

I've had a few Mercedes in my time.

Thanks, Tammy! The clematis and rose should get along beautifully. Many people buy clematises just to adorn their roses. I don't know of any clematis that bloom all summer, sorry.

Here is a link to my favorite clematis, 'Omoshiro':
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145391/

Thumbnail by pirl

shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8381736

That is a lovely clematis!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8381775

Tammy and Pirl, this is the 4th time i've tried to message yous guysI must be tired. Thank you...JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8382181

Thanks, Shune. It's won awards for me last year and this year in the photo contest but even if it didn't I'd love it best.

Jim - you're welcome four times!
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 20, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8382198

Oh pirl what a beautiful flower, so elegant it should win awards ! We have an old car we sometimes take to car shows ,I love it when some one comes in with an older mercedes. But honestly I get more joy out of looking at flower gardens and flower shows.
JimT sorry you had trouble posting happens to me all the time for some reason I hit something that makes everything I write delete sometimes.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8382213

Thanks, Tammy. I love it so much that I ordered two more of them!

I lose posts, too.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8383003

Hey Pirl and Tammy. I just set most of the basil into their permanent home!!! No matter what they say to me they are home.Thats a fact Jack. Alot of my Gazanias gave me the skunk eye and took off to fairer homes in the sky.But goodness There are plenty still getting to the 4" mark. A good friend offered to get my little Mantis out and earning it's keep tomorrow.(for a dozen ea. orange, coconut, and liquid dark chocolate center Truffles) My rib says Good Deal JIMT. Got enough Passiflora cuttings to root a dozen from my woods this morning.I saw a stand of iris reticulata while out there I hope mine will look as good. Thanks for being here.Talk to you later JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8383362

Sounds like you're having fun, Jim! Keep us posted on your progress.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8385034

ARRRG!!! My post went to the twilight zone again. Cripes; Synopsis:::::: Potting up 2, 22yrs. old Pony Tail Palms. for 15 yrs. they have lived in the same 18"X7" pots. New pots are 21"X13" I'm filling bottom 1/3 with clay pot shards They are like a part of my family (But Not crazy at all) Poppy Anenome (Red) Blooming:::lots and lots of daylily are Up Checkerd lily's are up:::Iris reticulata about a dozen up.My new(1yr.in the ground) Banana Shrub is covered with blooms even sweeter than a real Magnolia. I moved mulch and lots of route 66 Coreopsis & Cosmos volunteered Yea. Native Azalea Admiral Semmes (Hot Yellow w/ Orange)budding, Agapanthus up, sweet pot. vine up, Lantana up, Lots and lots of Huckleberry blossoms.Blackberries look like R.I.P. All ferns sending up fronds even the rabbit foot Fern is doing fine Passiflora(red w/ white center made it)up.Peacock moss up & keep finding more.I seem to be missing 100 or so minor bulbs.But I'm the only one who will know.Siberian Iris Up!!!! I feel foolish puting all of this on here but by gosh I'm very happy indeed!!!! Pirl did you get my info? I will check the Mail with anticipation daily JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8385148

You're doing just terrific!

Yes, got your Dmail and replied. We'll be mailing to you tomorrow.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 21, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8385411

JimT I am so happy that your plantings are doing good and you have help getting the others in the ground. OK guys I am starting to think I got the posting mystery figured out!! remember the twighlight zone episode with william shattner about the airplane GREMLIN , I believe that there is a computer gremlin out there causing problems for us. It is probly out there right now just waiting for me to turn my head so he can hit that delete button.
Yea!!! my husband finished my shelf today , he also felt sorry for me being so sick that he bought me two more roses they are Chrysler Imperials He likes there name. Pirl doesn't JimT get you excited about getting back in the yard and working in your flowers , oh Man , Pirl your cabin fever must have been contagious cause I got a bad case of it now.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8385437

Chrysler Imperial is a beloved rose. Pretend you're not well until he buys 'The Paul McCartney Rose' for you!

Yes, JimT does get me yearning for spring!

I'm beginning to think Mother Nature has inflicted this cruel punishment of snow/ice, cold/wind, more snow and ice as some kind of bizarre punishment on us. I hope we've all atoned enough all winter and we get a beautiful spring, summer and fall in 2011.
happyannie
Shirley, IN

February 22, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8386359

Pirl I believe your right it is as if mother nature is just down right mean to us this year. I am tired of winter it was in the 50s yeaterday today we have snow and ice and its in the 20s. I have not heard of The Paul McCartney Rose what color is it. I think we deserve an early , long ,warm ,spring and the sooner the better. I am starting to feel like jack in the movie The Shinning if I dont see some sun soon I am going to crack up ,only I dont have the energy to chase any one around with an ax.,and I dont think me sitting on the couch and throwing old valentines candy hearts at family walking by is having the same chilling effect . I wonder if it would be more menacing if I threw the chocolate kisses?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8386648

Eat the chocolate kisses!

All we see in the new snow in the back yard and across the front are deer tracks. If this really is a joke by Mother Nature, it's just not funny.

The Paul McCartney Rose (it might just be The McCartney Rose - winter has frozen my brain) is a lovely deep pink/rose color and has gorgeous blooms when the deer don't devour them.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8387134

Y'all make me happier than you will ever know.What; with out Tammy's Gung-Ho ieness? I never could have kept this seed-starting going and going It would have just faded away right along with the million other things I've halfway finished over the years. My friends are almost convinced This Garden "Fad" is going to stick. When I called 1800GotJunk,Emptied out My Plant Room, Scrubbed,Painted,varnished, Hung the plant Lights & have my plants To show them. They asked about you guys!! They think I'm online with two motivational gurus. Not farfetched to me at all. Because of pirls advice my plants are not just alive but thriving.Right now I'm hanging my floodlight to containerize all of the poor lilies I misplanted last spring. except not my Fritillaries I counted around 30!! I'll leave them for fall or spring 2012. Phooey on the Myan calendar. Thanks again . I'm off to find the OFF (mosquitoes) JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8387136

Hate to tell you this, Jim, but having to find mosquito repellent is only a dream here in the northeast right now. I'm a wee bit jealous.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 22, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8387310

Annie you cracked me up with the refrence to the shinning , but I agree with Pirl aint no way I would throw them kisses but then again you know my boys I 'd never have any chocolate left in the house so they really wouldn't have to worry about that. JimT You got me chomping at the bit to get out in the yard. got a question for ya Pirl I seen that when you plant vinca they need to be in the dark and a warm place I was wondering I have a closet in one off my bedrooms it would be dark and warm I wonder if the lack of air flow would be bad though. what do you think? and dont you wish someone would invent snow repellent.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8387335

I'll gladly vote for snow repellent and deer repellent that sends them into the ocean.

I've never grown vinca. Could you set up a fan in front of the closet and turn it on for five minutes at a time for three times a day? Don't aim it at the plants - try to aim it for the ceiling.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 23, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8389165

yes the fan is a great idea I planted vinca and more petunias tonight , I ordered some wave petunias, they have a new wave I haven't seen yet it is called an easy wave{ I think that was the name of it } they are suppose to grow more in a mound but still spread out , have you seen it or heard of it. Hey they have sea horses so why not sea deer I personaly think mars is a wonderful place for snow the further away the better.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8390046

Keep on planting and keep notes on the petunias you tried so you'll know which ones to order for next year. We have grown some petunias but Jack is walking Harry (the dog) so I have no idea of the name.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8391085

Tammy,Have your plants gotten to or past the potting-up stage? Or are they ready to start taking them on their daily walks to harden them off? Tell me about what ALL plants you started. Sedum? Wave Petunias? What Vinca did you decide on? & Veggies too. Any beans (I too love the legumes.) Cukes? Burpee sent a Free gift with my order. They are Marigolds, Burpee's best mix. and Cucumber White Wonder. They are two things I just would not plant. I wonder, would you want them? If so you would be the first person i'd give them to.D-Mail me your info and i'll send them. Last year I planted Stonecrop blue spruce sedum. After August It just faded away, none to be seen any where. I'm glad I was carefull removing fallen leaves because There is blue spruce 3"-4" tall allover the place. I think I'll pot all I can with the pony tail palms. They will like containers over clod footed gardeners any day or some with the lily Bulbs too?What do you thnink of that idea? Oh, if you like the Cosmos Bright Lights Mix, there is pack you are welcome to also. I like when the late afternoon sun hits their blooms they do look like bright lights! Orange and yellow.Let me know all about your progress. Well I'm going to hit the hay Keep Warm.JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 25, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8393150

Jimt I planted two flats of seeds that I had gotten off my own flowers . I wanted to see if they would grow so I'd know if I wasted my time collecting seeds . I did this way to early to actually plant outside but I didnt know if they would grow or if I would need to buy seeds. The really bad thing is that I cant remember now where I placed those seeds I collected so I had to buy seeds anyway. My memory is so bad, I found a present I bought my son last Christmas hid in a closet this week . I am now planting for this spring normaly here in indiana we can set plants out after Mothers day . so I have a ways to go yet weather wise. I am planting 4 different petunias, geraniums ,impatients snap dragons ,ghypsophilia ,pansys, verbena ,sweet williams, my vincas are red from flowers I had last year. I planted three rose bushes inside I was afraid they would dry out and die before it was time.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

February 26, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8394709

JimT I am sorry I had more tp write last post but my arm gave out on me . I thank you for the offer on the seeds I already have my cucumber seeds and like you I dont plant marigolds . I got a free package of basil you are welcome to, I'll dmail ya. I also have some bulbs to plant , canna and freeza , what is really bad is at the end of december I planted 50 spring bulbs ,my husband threw my packages out and I cant for the life of me remember what they are.. I plan on planting tomatoes green beans, lima beans , carrots sweet potatoes and onions, banana peppers , I will let you know any thing else I plan on planting.
Pirl I was wondering my petunias and geraniums say they need lots of lights, should I leave the lights on all the time till they get seedlings or should I have them on for 16 hrs .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2011

Post #8395166

16 hours - not all the time!
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 4, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8406450

Pirl help!!! one of the clematice I am growing is starting to die I think . it is smaller than the other one I planted but it was growing fine, but now the stem has gone limp and the leaves are kind of curling. I watered them both the same but the other one is taller and its stem is more hard like a twig . do you think transplanting it would help or should I just prepare for the worst and say my final goodbyes to it! any idea what is wrong with it or what may have caused it?
tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8406470

So sorry to hear that, Tammy! Don't try to water it or feed it. Can you post a photo of it for us? Some seeds are just stronger by nature and more able to grow into what we expect while other seeds are not as strong. Post a photo ASAP. Thanks.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 4, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8406615

I am not computer savy so to speak but I will try and post a photo as soon as possible
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8406814

When the stem goes limp it's generally not good news. Is the soil, down deep, damp? It sounds as though you'll lose it BUT clematises have a way of sometimes resurrecting themselves and sending up more stems. I would not water it unless it's dry - then just wait it out and see what happens and only water when they need it.

If you have any Epsom Salt on hand just mix up a cup of it with just a tiny amount of Epsom Salt in just tepid water and when the clem's need water use that but don't drown them with kindness. You can use any leftovers you have of the Epsom Salt solution for any other plants - it promotes more basal break (more stems).
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8407455

Hello Tammy,Pirl Well I went and got the Abyssinian Red Ensete Banana Tree,The tytyga.com site was no shipping and such a deal I could not refuse. Tammy good luck with the clematis!! Epsom salt did wonders for my ferns,and my peacock moss. Do not give up the ship. I have got to get time to plant out. My seedlings (some) are larger than what home depot has for sale.Do youz guys have the banana tree? Very messy durring fall and winter. I had forgotten their beauty during the rest of the year.Pirl can you tell me how much direct sun, Stonecrop Blue Spruce (sedum reflexum) needs? I had it in part shade as a ground cover last year. No good for it at all.Night All JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8407672

Here the sedums can take full sun but in Alabama I think I'd avoid any midday sun.

I haven't grown the banana tree at all. It probably works better in zone 8 than up here.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8407674

Here's what I found:
http://www.pendernursery.com/Catalog/Detail/sedumreflexumbluespruce.html

You might want to ask other gardeners, in your zone, how much shade or sun they give it to get good results.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 6, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8410995

Pirl ,Epson salt, never heard of useing it on plants, but you can be assured I am going to get me some. I was wondering can you use it on all flowers and how about roses .my clematis went to that garden in the sky, I gave up on it too soon , its a good thing being a bad gardener Isn't against the law or I would be doing hard time in some jail made of marigolds and posion ivy . I have all these seedlings coming up now and I am scared I will kill them now too. JimT I dont know of any one around here that has grown banana trees but I seen where there is suppose to be a new one out that is tolerant to our cooler seasons , can you eat the bananas you grow?
Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8411699

The following is an excerpt from About.com regarding Epsom Salts:

What are Epsom Salts?
Epsom salts are a naturally occurring mineral. They were first discovered in Epsom, England, where they got their name. You can find cartons of Epsom salt in drug stores and groceries, either in with the laxatives or the sore muscle section.

What do Epsom Salts do for Plants?
Epsom salts contain hydrated magnesium sulfate, two elements crucial to plant growth.
•Sulfur (13%) is crucial to the inner workings of plants, but it is almost never lacking in the soil, thanks in part to synthetic fertilizers and acid rain.

•Magnesium (10%) can become scarce in soil, usually because of erosion or depletion of the top soil or a pH imbalance. Some plants, like lettuce and spinach, don’t mind going without magnesium. Others may exhibit symptoms like leaf curing, stunted growth, that could be attributed to more than one cause. Magnesium deficiency has even been blamed as a cause for bitter tomatoes.

In general, magnesium plays a role in strengthening the plant cell walls, allowing the plant to take in the nutrients it needs. It also aids in seed germination, photosynthesis and in the formation of fruits and seeds.

Roses LOVE Epsom Salts. Just dissolve about a tablespoonful to a gallon of tepid water (plants absorb tepid faster than cold water) and give them a treat. It will give you more basal break (more stems) but not more flowers. For that you'd want a food with a high middle number, like any of the Bloom Buster products by Miracle Gro and others.

Never give up on a clematis. Plant them about 2" deep (just remove any leaves that will be covered) and make sure you have lots of compost and manure in the planting hole. Compost is a wonderful addition. Use even more compost to act as mulch. Plant them at a 45 angle towards the trellis or whatever they'll use to climb.

Keep the faith! Water (don't drench and water only as needed) from the bottom, give the seedlings 12 to 14 hours of light each day and keep those lights close to the plants but not touching the leaves and let us know how well they're growing for you.

We are all "rooting" for you.

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 7, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8411950

Thanks Pirl , I needed the PEP talk!! I was wondering how often do you use the epson salts , every time you water? also I planted a lot off flowers so when my seedlings get to where they can be transplanted I will run out of room on my grow stand ,do you think it would hurt to stagger the plants ? like have half under lights every other day , to you think this would stunt there growth to much?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8412769

You can use it on established plants, outside, once a week when the gardening season begins but inside I'd limit it to only those where you can see the plants are really putting on growth since the roots are not capable of using food until they do establish some roots.

Is it not possible to buy more lights or is it a lack of space? Could you compromise by trading off plants and giving them all 12 hours of light daily or is that more work than you want?

Without enough light they can become tall and lanky but what you want is short and stocky at the start. Good luck, Tammy.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8413167

Hi Pirl, a question. I started sunflower seeds inside some are normal but a dozen or so are too tall.how deeply can I transplant the taller ones?I think i'll just sow the rest next weekend outside. Over sown Basil+chop stick = success.Thanks again JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8413231

I've only planted sunflowers directly outside and never tried them indoors. You wouldn't have much to lose by trying to plant it deeper - that's your call.

Great work with the basil! Just yesterday I got out a chopstick to plant coleus cuttings and it worked very well.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8413250

Gotta love it! Had orange chicken for supper.JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8413271

...and you didn't share with the rest of us?
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 7, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8413377

Pirl I agree ! Jimt Didn't your momma teach you about sharing, well I hope you enjoyed your chicken , and I bet it was really good too , Pirl I can almost smell it ! And here I am with my hamsalad sandwich and the real kicker , it aint even real hamsalad its sandwich spread.. Oh well we'll forgive ya Jimt glad you put your plants to such good use. Pirl great idea about 12 hours for the plants that is what I will do . I am afraid to ask for more lights or space in the basement it is also our garage and I believe I would be pushing my luck to take any more space . my husband was ok with the grow stand but now I have 6 rose bushes planted and sitting around he said that his garage is becoming a green house . He talked about kicking the whole lot of us out of his man cave . LOL I can tell ya it dont smell like a greenhouse in there smells like theres a bear living in his cave!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8413423

As soon as you can dig you can plant the roses, Tammy. I've done it in March though my first attempt resulted in ice chips flying into the air. I tried and succeeded a few days later.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 8, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8415430

I will plant them then just as soon as I can get them in the ground unfortunatley it is going to rain tomorrow. do you know anything about hibiscus ? my sister got one she has it in the house but now it has lost its leaves and is just the wood . do you think it can come out of it ? I know I gave you no info on it. she also has a tropical plant that has white mold on it and a gooey sap its leaves have been falling off to. I dont do house plants. at least not yet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8418749

If your sister can cut back the hibiscus she'll see if the cut areas show green (meaning it's alive but resting) or brittle and brown (dead). They do need a good pruning to flower at their best.

White mold and gooey sap sound like problems. Have her isolate the plant in another room so the problem doesn't spread.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8433494

Hey Pirl & Tammy, How does your garden grow? Every things comming up roses here. My Passion cuttings turned out to be some sort of weed. Oh well. The red banana I planted last week started a bright red stalk from it's center it's grown allmost 3" in less than a week! Tammy can't wait for my Raspberry sorbet Sweet william to hurry up and get outside They are going to be the pride of my container plants. Got one just for them, a big one. Lowes had 15gal pots for under $20 They will be looking good with an asiatic lily planted in the middle of them.D-Mail me and let me know how you are doing. Have you learned to do the Photo sending thing yet.I'd love to see what all of your hard work comes to. Pirl,I found some Madagascar jasmine seed. 2 packs no date but you never know. Have you ever tried this Plant? Keep in touch your Pal JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8433953

Hi Jim: we're still in the season of brown grass, slowly turning green. Weather is great but we can still get snow through early April.

Haven't grown any jasmine since the one I put outside died, years ago.

Good work on that banana! Keep up the good work.

The big excitement right now is checking the clematises for buds and many are huge so I'm happy.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 18, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8433972

every thing is growing here , just slowly but that is ok ,my roses are doing great. I bought those stick type ones from rural king they had them for $2.50 a piece so I potted them in my basement. I planted alliun and freeezia and cannas in containers in my basement, Pirl my wave petunias are very slow tp come up would fertilizing them help? also the canna I planted were very dry I let them soak over night do you know if they are suppose to be so dry I bought them last fall. My rasberry sweet williams that I had out in the yard are coming to life that surprized me I didn,t think they would winter over. My friend here at school is going to try and show me how to post a picture. Jim I hope your sweet williams do good. happy gardening all, I cant wait for spring!!! Tammy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8433984

We're all anxious for spring and after the winter most of us have endured it's no surprise.

Can't see your canna from here, Tammy, but you can Google for instructions or just plant them and when you see new growth you'll know they are growing.

It's the plant roots that absorb nutrition so if the petunias aren't growing well and don't have the required roots to uptake the food, there's no point to feeding them. We gave up on petunias a few years ago, after too many disappointments with seeds after years of growing them well, and now buy them locally.

Once you get the photo posting down you'll wonder why you were hesitant. Most of us go through it so don't think you're alone.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8435727

Hi From Mobile al. Spring is over. All two weeks of it. High today 84 now it will really pick up speed. Is there really a whole season called spring where you guys live? Does it last a whole month or so? Tammy here you can mow your Cannas once durring the summer and they act like they were just comming up and start the show all over again till the cold gets them. Now the seedlings from Chinese Tallow start to pop up. Plucking 100 every couple of days is, well, therapeutic in a therapeutic sort of way. I have 2 Painted ferns come back!! I thought they were gone for good. The dogwoods and Redbuds are starting to bloom,My yellow native azaleas are in bud. And everyones "pride of Mobile" azaleas are startig to cover mobile. Mine are 11'x? I can not see the whole of the front of the house any more. I wish they could stay in bloom all year. Pirl, please post pic's of your clematises. a hundred what a sight!! They must be the envy of every one of the neighbors.I saw the pic you posted from Fine gardening Mag. on container gardens. What a fine example of what must be the work of quite a few folks. I got my Plant Smart replacement Sensor a couple of days ago. It is really a fun thing to use. The guys who built the sensor are some of the experts "behind the curtain" who give answers to our questions.Really nice guys and make having one worth it. Goodnight and good gardening.JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8436042

You're cute, Jim. Yes, we have spring for a good two to three months and we enjoy it.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

While we haven't had the pleasure of seeing Mobile's azaleas, I have seen them in bloom in Savannah, GA, and we slowed down while driving to try and absorb all that beauty. Ours won't bloom until Mother's Day.

What is Plant Smart? I have a system given to me by my daughter, called Easy Bloom Plant Sensor and it is fun to use but by my age I know the plants that want sun as opposed to shade and water as opposed to being kept dry. It's good for new plants that I've never grown before.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8441503

So sorry to take so long. We have been working a lot of overtime at my work,I know it's giving mgrs.a headache or worse to part with the money. Puts a bonus or two in jepordy I bet .Pirl, The Easy Bloom is one and the same as Plant Smart. I did have both icons on my laptop. Plant Smart is the name of whatever part of the co. Black and Decker bought out. I know it is more of a toy,I just like Bells and Whistles.I get a heap of contradictory readings. But It's fun.I think i'll get the fertilizer function for a month ($3.00) just to play around with.I send soil samples to Auburn once a year to get the real lowdown on my dirt.Mobile calls her self The Azalea City.And lives up to it.You would think the city gives them away they are so abundant. Tammy I can't wait to see your garden.Well you guys enjoy your spring. JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 22, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8442642

SPRING will you please make your mind up to stay and quit teasing me!!!!! sorry about my little hisssy fit just now, we have had temps in the 70s here for a couble of days but starting tomorrow it is droping back down to a high in the 40s . It makes me want to scream ,but I wont because that would wake every one here up and then I would have to fix breakfast for everyone for waking them up. I hate the smell of eggs.
Jim I am envious of the long growing season you have there , I have been to Alabama once in the winter years ago, i would dearly love to see the azaleas and the native flowers along the country side. Ok what is a plant smart replacement sensor? we usualy have a couble of months of spring weather before it gets hot.

Pirl do you grow AZaleas ? If so can you tell me do you grow them in a container and what kind of soil and amendments they need ,most of all are they hard to grow and do they take a lot of pampering? My roses are doing so good I really need to put them out soon I am little afraid of them getting hit by a hard frost.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8443093

Yes, we have many azaleas and they love acid soil and average rain or watering. They aren't hard to grow at all and don't need pampering - maybe a little haircut as they finish blooming to encourage bushier shrubs.

Roses give angst if we've kept them inside and then have to put them out to face Mother Nature while they're showing such good growth. Good luck.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8444072

Tammy,the PlantSmart and EasyBloom sensors are "built using the same technology developed by NASA for use in the space shuttles" well all I can say is they are fun to use. The sensor is built to stick its forked prong into an area you want to plant a new plant you have not grown before or(like me) want to know if you've made a big mistake by planting every plant where it will not thrive.You plant it in an area where you want to check the Light, Temp.,Moisture,and for $3.00 a month(I got it today) it will check the ammount of fertilizer Too, against the needs of whatever plant you have or will be planting in this area or pot. I put it under my plant lights and got caught.It told me the sun was shining at night and something is wrong OR YOU ARE USING PLANT LIGHTS.This did not go over to well. The reading was voided.Oh You plug it into your computer with a USB cable and they send you all these neat graphs and advice. You can go to their Forums and ask questions of a really nice and expert gardener or Tech Guy or Plant Dr. Sort of like Pirl but a guy. A Toy But kinda fun.JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8444700

Jim - you are just too funny with that line about, "...Sort of like Pirl but a guy".

Here's a link to show you Easy Bloom:
http://www.easybloom.com/

I didn't opt for the $3.00 a month fee for fertilizing analysis but I didn't even know about it until Jim mentioned it.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8445801

HI, the co. who took my $3.00 for the fertilizer readings is Easy Bloom,I do belive They are the Parent Co. It is too sad about Liz Taylor I saw "Who's afaraid of Vir. Wolfe" last year for the first time. I'm glad I waited till I was older. HEAVY stuff. We should Plant a plant in her Memory.Any suggestions? Something Violet?JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 23, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8446140

It is sad about Liz Taylor, I watched Cleopatra 3 times in a row. was she in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof with Paul Newman? I like the plant in her memory idea, it is sad to say but seems like they just don't have many great movie stars left. not that today's actors aren't good they just aren't the same caliber of actor like the old stars were.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 25, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8448968

Pirl help , my only climatice is starting to wilt any idea what s wrong? I encluded a pic.

Thumbnail by hummingtammy

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 25, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8448976

Here is a picture of my plant stand that my husband built me and some of my seedlings, Pirl to I have things to crowded on it?

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 25, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8448980

These are the Petunias I srarted from seeds off my plants from last year.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8449067

Tammy - that clematis isn't sitting in a pot of water, is it? Get it out if it's in water. They want cool damp roots - not drenching wet. Put it in sunshine but don't let the leaves touch the glass - ever.

Not too many plants but only the top shelf appears to have the lights close enough to the plants. Put something under the trays to raise them to a similar height as your top shelf. You can use boxes or anything that will get them close to the light. Otherwise you'll get leggy plants and you don't want that. The lights get moved upwards (on chains) as the plants grow. I can't see if your lights can be adjusted but you can adjust the height using whatever you have in the house - slats of wood comes to mind.

Instead of trying to adjust 10 different trays with wooden slats you can put a few trays on an old cookie sheet to make it easier.

The petunias look great! They aren't supposed to look drenching wet - yours is picture perfect.

Thumbnail by pirl

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 25, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8449264

The clematis isn't in water but that soil is very wet I will put it in another container when I get home , what is the best medium to grow clematis in ,I wonder if I should add peat moss to the mix ? I am growing snap dragons too put mine are much smaller , I will put my plants closer to the lights . we are going to have snow this weekend here maybe 3 inches , I have several spring bulbs coming up out side to you think they will be allright , they just have the leaves coming up no stems or buds yet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8449364

I really wouldn't add peat moss. Try repotting the clematis to a soil-less mix, widely available at any home center, Walmart's, Home Depot, etc.

The snapdragons in the photo were from a former year. I posted the photo to show how close the lights should be to the plants. As they grow you can move the lights if they're on chains.

Everything outside will be just fine. We've had snow on blooming daffodils in the past and they continued to bloom when the snow was gone. Spring is a tense time for many of us gardeners.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8453186

Well done Tammy, You set out to do something,you do it! Your Pic's are wonderfull. Tell your husband & son I think they did you a great job. We expect pic's of your plants as they grow:) Did you start any sedum from seed or get any allready started? Oh,did you see any coral cactus at the store? I thought for sure it was a sedum but it's a grafted cactus.Very unusual looking plant in a good way.Today is the 18th Festival Of Flowers.So I'm off and will attend.(I have a friend who has a cousin who has the opening exihbit this year.)any excuse to go. My Chrysanthemum Carinatum (I've fogotten what else they are named) will be blooming soon! Or do you think the flower buds should be removed? I read and read but still am not sure about what to do. Now to get a camera that works with a computer before the last of the azalea blooms are gone.JIMT.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

March 28, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8457359

I appreciate your comments Jim, they did a good job for me on that stand. I love flowers shows they are the high light of my winter
I was sick both times they were held this year. I would love to see pictures of your flowers . I dont know that I have seen a chrysanthemum carninatum when it blooms please post a picture. I am still waiting for spring weather to arrive it was 40 today.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8458882

It was so hot and humid, but it would have been worse if the sun had been out.The prices were Outrageous this year so I took some pic's and helped my friend carry her Bird feeder to the car. I have not been told of any shows here in winter, It sure would brighten up a dull winter. The big ones are now during spring. Did I mention we don't have a formal season called spring? Just a week or two of nice weather then the heat. I gripe alot but I really do love it down here.There was a Butterfly house! Very well done.And all of the displays were~from traditional Southern to~wierd and striking, worth the hour and a half we spent there.I decided to plant this first group of herbs and flowers in containers.In the garden "my dance card is full" except for shade loving plants.I was told by a friend and Real Gardener "Don't move any thing else. Your plants have only been here a year. Give them a chance to get comfortable." That is all it took. I put the shovel and wheelbarrow down.I didn't want to do all of that hard labor at this time anyway. And my Banana Shrub bloomed. The Carolina Allspice has bloom buds from top to bottom everything,is green and healthy. A sign they like it just fine where they are (I hope). And a friend put most of my garden pic's on a memory stick and put them on this laptop. Hopefully I'll learn to send them tonight! Don't give up Springs just around the corner!!Your pal JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8459956

Tammy - your husband really did do a great job with the stand and I'm sure he'll be as thrilled as you to see the results of your hard work with the seeds and plants. It really is fun and so very rewarding. Take photos when you eat that first tomato with the juices running down your arms - maybe get hubby to take the photo instead!

Jim - love the "dance card is full" line! I'm feeling like that with our gardens. I'd agree with the person who told you to put down the shovel and leave the plants alone this year. Sit back, relax and enjoy!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8462860

Thanks Pirl, You make my day. But for this garden I needed to start showing a little restraint.(a lot.) This is a single bloom from my Admiral Semmes Hybrid Azalea. Developed by Dodd and Dodd Nursery Just up the road in Semmes Al . It does show a Honeysuckle semblance.Ya think?JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8462887

They each have their own brand of beauty, Jim. I do love the azalea. We had an orange Exbury one for years until it died.

We're due for snow tomorrow so count your blessings and take more azalea photos!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8462935

These I planted over 20 yrs. ago. They were Not supposed to cover the whole house.But they are what they are and the neighbors take photos. They are the largest Pride of Mobile for miles and miles not in a public garden. Next year they get a little "haircut" or a tunnel cut from the center.JimT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8462966

Pirl~ Here is the first container of Gazania & Chrysanthemum Carinatum You and Tammy kept growing.JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8463146

Stunning, Jim. I can understand why folks stop and take photos.

Good work on those seedlings, too!

Some of our azaleas with some lupines.

Thumbnail by pirl

jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8463630

Pirl your Azalea is beautiful,and those Lupines make this a postcard.The seedlings and I have you and Tammy to thank.I would not have put sterilizing at the top of the list if not for your advice.You may have saved them all. Now they are all just waiting for their homes. Tomorrow at last!! Getting all into containers.Thanks JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8463716

Wow! That is LUSH! Are they basil?
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8463739

Yes and is there a lot of it!!! Thanks to a well used Chop stick with instructions made for someone with sausage fingers and a sore rib.They are pretty big now.Here are a few.JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8463747

I planted four, just four and got four. I doubt I'd know what to do with all you have but I'm sure they smell absolutely wonderful.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8463918

As much Cilantro Basil Pesto as we can. : )JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8464470

Yum! I do make it and freeze extra in rolls, using Saran Wrap (or any plastic wrap), so we have it in winter. Not as good as fresh but on a cold, snowy night it works for us.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8464863

Yumm!! A blessing in a hot bowl of soup w/Some crusty Bread. Cooked a corned beef so Reubens for lunch. Sans soup.JIMT.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8465813

Thank you Pirl for mentioning Azalea and Orange!!! I Looked for an Orange Azalea Today at the Botanical gardens Big Spring Doo at the park. Well I guess I have a dance or two I over looked. There was a Aromi, Hybrid Azalea,"Sunrise" Got it. No matter what the lady behind me said I did see it first. It was way too big for her to carry anyway.There were only two left, one "Sunrise" and one "Spring Fanfare". I think they will do well. Dr. Aromi taught at University Of South Al. here. His wife developed this plant with his help after he retired. Oh I bought "Spring Fanfare" also. (and an Abbeville red La. Iris, Lots of Coleus, Blue moss phlox, @ 2, passiflora Caerulea, 1 Miss Margr.. Passiflora. More Butterfly Ginger.& some Rose Moss.) I fell of the wagon after only...not 24 hrs.yet. Well,umm, There is almost a whole acre out side my little 50'x50' area. Just needs a little color.JIMT.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8465823

Sure, sure! No more room on your dance card turns into a truckload of plants!

I'm happy you got all the beauties and expect photos when they all bloom.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 2, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8468060

OH MY what lovely flowers , you dont know how bad I wish I could see them in person . you both have introduced me to flowers I didnt even know exsisted, my world of flowers has gotten so much bigger now. I feel like a child in a candy store for the first time . like i always had fudge and rock candy at home but get in the candy store and there is so many things, you dont know which to try.
I love both of your pictures, Pirl and Jim you simply must be the envy of your neighbors and I cant even imagine all the work that went into your yards, but wow did it pay off. I truly enjoy the photos they lift my spirits .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8468436

You can always try some clematises, Tammy. It's great fun to expand our own little worlds of plants and try things we've only seen and never grown.

Thumbnail by pirl

jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8469496

Jst got a first Bloom from our Gazanias (not the Tri-color Daisy-Chrysanthemum oops mislable). If not for Y'all They never would have made it to bloom. Thank you both JIMT. :)

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8469500

You did it, Jim. We just stood back and encouraged you.

It's absolutely gorgeous!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8469501

And!! Thanks for writing Orange. Last new Azalea bloom.JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8469515

Just look at all the colors you have in that orange! There's yellow, orange, red below - amazing!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8469526

Thanks Pirl, Shucks JIMT..And day 15 False Banana.There was nothing but a beige bulb.JIMT. I can,t put it right side up oh well.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8469531

Wow! Things surely do grow fast for you, Jim.
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8469628

I wish it was me It's just the plant type.It should reach 20' by fall. I hate to think of the carcuss around Dec.I just have to Feed and water. A composter is in my Future.JIMT. UMM.. Last years Butterfly Ginger

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 4, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8470601

jim way to go , my sister just got back from a road trip , she went through Alabama and called me while she was driving to tell me how beautiful the state was with all the flowers blooming ,said she was really sorry I couldn't come on the trip with her and that I would love Alabama . I know she is right . Pirl would you please tell me how to plant clematises and what the need to thrive , I was told they need to hve therebase where they come out of the ground covered that they dont do well in he sun is this true?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8470700

Tammy - Dig a big hole and add a lot of aged manure and aged compost and plenty of bone meal for clematis. Add a very good handful of Epsom Salts and rose fertilizer (as long as the clematis don't have buds yet) and remember to mix it all up and backfill with more manure and compost and then add more manure and compost on top as mulch. You will be planting the clematises 2" deep and angling toward the trellis or whatever you'll be using to display them. Don't forget to water them well but don't drown them!

They want shady, cool, moist roots but sunshine on the rest of the plant. Use compost or mulch (or both) to cover the root area. That will help keep them cool.

jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8502935

Hi Pirl & Tammy, I hope you both are doing well.JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8502946

Such a pretty Passion Flower, Jim. Is it one you grew? It's lovely!
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 18, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8503491

Pirl , help !! I planted my clematice and roses too the climatice is doing fine but we had a bad storm come through and three of the roses I planted are looking bad they lost there leaves ond are kind of droopy now is there any thing I can do to save them? Jim that is one pretty purple flower , I love purple.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8503495

I'm not good with roses, mainly because the deer eat them, but yours should recover and be fine (though it's hard for you to believe at the moment). Pick up the old leaves and just keep checking the plant and you'll see it will form all new leaves. Don't feed it, don't water it!

Does your clematis have a support on which to grow?
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 18, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8504133

Yes it is small but I figure it will be ok this year till I can replace it with a new one. I was wondering I have A very tall deck and it has lattice all around it its about 5 fett of the ground and then we have 4 ft slats around it do you think a clematice can grow useing that as support?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8504535

A photo would be very helpful.

The clematis will need support from the spot where you have it to the slats.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 19, 2011

Post #8505988

I wil try and take a picture tonight and post it
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8507484

Hi Pirl,Yep one of three I planted about a month ago.This is the lady Marg.I blew out of the ground last year.(My first leaf blower.)

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8507509

Tammy,One more Tulip Poplar Bloom.JIMT.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8507564

Gorgeous, Jim!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8509971

Thank you, I have planted every container old & new.And I am giving the 2 containers of Mutant Lemon Balm the side eye.They are taking up some nice big pots. And there is a lot of wild Yellow and white wild honey suckle that could make nice Thug friends of them.Tammys Dianthus will be needing the space. I hope they enjoy camping out in the wilderness.I've found a weed looking exactly like the Chrysanthemum Carinatum I started inside in Feb. can't wait to see what sort of creature evolves.My little clump of Siberian Iris is not showing any sign of ending it's blooming!! I AM STUNNED.I planted a few Abbeville Red LA. Iris near the water spigot. That seems to be the boggiest piece of land I own.What do you think of Creeping Jenny in the garden? I've put 3 containers of Black Dragon Coleus with a Jenny in the center of each but have several left.Just one more ? What is the most unusual Clematis bloom you have that you really like. You would recomend to a beginner? And guess what? There really is a spring in Mobile Virginia!!!Still looking for a Violet colour for Miz.Elizabeth etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.Taylor. The Passiflora was not the one.Your friend JIMT. My Gardenia Started in a glass of water years ago.

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8510552

There are lots of good people and great ideas on the Clematis Forum, Jim, so come on over...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/clematis/all/

Creeping Jenny is a good old reliable plant but some people find it grows too much or too fast. If that happens just cut it off and plant it elsewhere. It can take shade. The Black Dragon should look wonderful with the Creeping Jenny.

Clematis Nelly Moser is widely available, easy to grow and can take some shade - maybe more shade down in warm Mobile!

Thumbnail by pirl

hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

April 21, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8510956

I would love to have wild honey suckle , I am so envious we dont have much of it around here.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8511012

Gee, I remember tasting honeysuckle!
jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8512188

I hid from my neighbors and pulled the honey strings from the flowers till I felt as goofy as I looked. So Sweet and fragrant. You understand why Saffron is so pricey after 15-20 min.But sure worth the flashbacks of my sisters and I taking turns for the other.I picked a nice bowl of juicy wild black berries and a small but absolutely the most potent bowl of Huckleberries that are growing,in,out over and through my gardenia and are welcome to stay as long as they will. Store bought blueberries are just a shadow of what a blueberry is next to our native Huckleberries.Nelly Moser it is. Thank you Pirl. (my moms name is Nell Ruth)Here is a pic of something from this afternoon.Well It is an early one tomorrow at work. So a restfull Sleepy Time to all.JIMT.(the first lemons of the year)

Thumbnail by jimtomczak

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8512210

It's so easy to suck on some honeysuckle and feel like a kid again.

I'm all for whatever makes us happy and it can be huckleberries for you or raspberries tied with blueberries for me. How boring it would be if we all had to like the same things!

Nell Ruth! How convenient it was that I selected Nelly Moser! Plant her deep (3") with lots of manure and compost and use more compost for mulch. You can add bone meal and either tomato or rose fertilizer in the planting hole to make her happy. Water well and make sure she gets rain or regular waterings until you see her spring into growth about a month later. Give her something to grow on, too, or she won't get to show off her blossoms.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

May 16, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8566312

Pirl help!!! I have a white clematis outside it is about three years old , it was full of blooms and new leaves then suddenly 2thirds of it turned brown and died but the rest of the plant has nice pretty flowers and some new growth . Is it normal for clematis to do this ? I went ahead and pulled all the dead out.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8566405

You did the right thing by removing the black or brown stems but always cut, never pull.

Give it a drink of Epsom Salt - one tablespoon (or small handful) of Epsom Salt to a gallon of warm (NOT hot) water. That should encourage more new sprouts. Come on over to the Clematis Forum and share your experiences with us.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1178344/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America