Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

2011 whatcha sowing this year ??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Anyone has their sowing started yet??

I should be starting within the week.

I know for sure, i'll be doing some

Various Agastaches
Echinacea - Mac&Cheese, Sunrise, Merlot, Summer Sky & Bravado
Lots of Salvia
Some new Penstemons that i ordered
Zinnias and Marigolds
Various Flax's [i've got some Whites that i have never tried yet]

when i get closer, i'll post a full list.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I haven't started yet, but I've got the soil, some labels done with the paint pen as suggested, and the plant list written in order of what will be sown first, color, height, etc. My seed list includes 5 poppy varieties, 3 delphinium varieties, hollyhock, catmint, Italian alkanet, wild flax, canterbury bells, Shasta dasies, gas plant, lupines, fox gloves, butterfly weed, echinacea, larkspur, nasturtium, sweet peas, bells of Ireland, cosmos, convolvulus, zinnias, Chinese forget me not, Indian cress, cypress vine, bell peppers. Yes, I'm an overachiever the first time wintersowing. This forum has been very helpful and I can't wait to get started. I hope I get ALL these seeds planted. I'll do the perennials first, hardy annuals, then annuals in early Spring when it starts to warm up. I know some things should have been started in the fall, but live and learn, I'll try to do better this year:-) Annette

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

I dont need my lids ??? also soilless or potting soil ?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tamara -- do you mean "caps" ?

no, dont need caps, but if you are using something like a large yogurt container... use that lid but poke holes in it.

for the milk jugs, like in my photo above.. you leave the caps off, that way they get snow/rain and have a bit of ventilation. Some folks put 'slices' [like you would when baking a pie] in the upper portion of the jugs, for more vents and for precipitation.

Cowden, IL(Zone 5a)

So far the only seeds I have are some Coreopsis seeds.
I need to get my butt in gear and buy more seeds, there are so many things I wanna try. lol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

is there anything in particular you are looking for?

I have A LOT of seeds and certainly can not use them all...

and in the trading forum, a gal had "seeds for newbies" -- you havent been here that long - so you'd certainly qualify.

you just send postage and a SASBE and you get a bunch of seeds.

Why pay full price when you can get seeds for postage?

here is the link to the Trading forum.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/trading/all/

and you can just post a thread like.... " new and looking for seeds for postage"
there are many who have an abundance of seeds... I usually donate my excess to the gal who gives them away...
that would be "arejay59"

I will donate,I will d-mail nohren with a list of what I have.

Cowden, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow guys that is to kind of you! I'll check out that forum and get to work on a want list. Hopefully next year I'll have seeds to give away too. y'all have made my week.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a huge spreadsheet with about 257 seeds in it right now. i think i have about 90% of my seeds listed in it, but I'm waiting for a large package in the mail that should have another 50+ seed packets. [most of these should be listed but not all]

and like i said, i will not sow them all -- and many traders give tons of seeds per pack.

here is my spreadsheet

If anything grabs your fancy... let me know.

I dont have a spreadsheet list ,wish I did.. LOL I do have a pile of seed !!!!

Cowden, IL(Zone 5a)

TCS, that is some spreadsheet girl! I wish I could be that organized. I've started making a list on paper of what I think I'd like to try. My nieghbor is wanting to start landscaping her place, so I'm thinking of planting extras for her. I'm not gonna tell her about it uncase I suck at WS'ing lol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WS'ing is almost fool proof.

I've got to get some perennials sown today.

I've shoveled the drive and the back patio.

got the seed basket on the counter and i was going thru some of them to see "what needs to go first"

got a few asters [which i have not had a lot of luck with]
Agastaches and Penstemons
and a few other perennials for starters.

Mine will be done tomorrow, all done = } And I will probly help run the snow blower too !!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are my first 8 gal jugs....

Lemon Balm - melissa officinalis
Penstemon strictus
Penstemon cobaea
NE Aster Alma Potschke
NoID delphinium [seeds i grabbed off spent plants in wisc.]
delphinium elatum "guardian blue"
DIANTHUS deltoides Arctic Fire
Penstemon mexicali "red rocks"

the new kitten was totally in my way, digging in the soil, in and out of the wet sink - tracking mud.
I will sow more tomorrow - hopefully when he's sleeping.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2011 7:32 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Anyone done ws-ing with kids? I sort of volunteered to teach a Sunday School class - actually one now and one in May/June - on wintersowing because some fools at the church with NO experience decided to start a garden (in mebbe Oct. for winter squash). I said well it's too late now for squash this year (this is me last fall, speaking) but here's what you can do this winter to have lots of pretty flowers in the spring. So now I'm giving a wkshop 1/30 for the kids at church. It's been a few years - do I need waterproof labels or am I OK if I have the darn paint pen? I'm famous for my NOID seedlings, and that seems like a terrible thing to do to a child!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the paint pens will hold up thru the process... use Black though, I used red one year and they all faded - I have some in my garden that have been there a few yrs still looking pretty good.

I know there are a few gals that got their kids into it... but i honestly can not recall who they are, or if they are still "here".

maybe google "winter sowing with Kids" and see what pops up.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yah, natch, black!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is my current list, at 21 containers

Lemon balm, melissa officinalis
Penstemon strictus
Penstemon Cobaea
NE Aster Alma Potschke
Delphenium - NoID
Delphenium elatum
Dianthus Arctic Fire
Penstemon Red Rocks
Agastache Surprise
Rudbechia Mix
Canna [red] & [generalis]
Agastache Apricot Sprite
Agastacge rugosa
Agastache Lavender Haze
Agastache Mystery Blue
Agastache Honey Bee White
Agastache Tutti Fruiti
Agastache Golden Jubilee
False Indigo
English Lavender
Echinacea, Tomato Soup

Cowden, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you guys for all your help so far and offer for seeds. I went ahead and posted a thread like tcs suggested. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149259/
I'll also start looking around online today, and hopefully be sowing next week! I'm pumped lol

Brady, TX(Zone 8a)

carrie, Learn2Grow has info on projects with kids:

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, TX, nothing remotely like wintersowing! I'll just wing it, I guess.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if anyone uses the large plastic containers that Spring greens come in for sowing. I don't drink much milk.

Teresa in KY

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

are they light weight plastic with lot of slits/holes in them? we have something similar for Grapes.
I have a pic somewhere...but i think on my PC.

but yes, i used them last year, and i put paper towels on the bottom, since the holes are so big -- to keep the soil from falling out.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, it sounds very similar. Our grapes are in trays with clear wrap over them. Paper towels in the botton should do the trick. I have used coffee filter in flower pots before.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is the image i was thinking of... there are 2 sort of up front... one is in a pan... i did that for bottom watering.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Columbus, OH

This looks like a stupid-long list, but some of these are for other people who can't get seedlings to start, or I just need onesie-twosies for a pot, etc. Plus, I trade extras with other gardeners and give some away (good garden karma!). I'm not a hoarder, I swear.

I haven't gotten all of these planted yet, but I will within the next 2-3 weeks. I have the flats ready, and I am writing out name tags and making newspaper pots for the plants that don't transplant well. I start mine in flats, it's just easier for me to transplant that way. I put one layer of bubble wrap under the whole row of flats, then the seeded flats on top, then another bubble wrap on top till March.

Agrostemma Githago
Albizzia (mimosa tree)
Alcea nigra-my plants are seedlings from heirlooms at the Old North Church in Boston.
Amaranth-Love Lies Bleeding
Antirrhinum, Snapdragon-3 varieties
Aquilegia “Green Apples”
“Black Barlow”
Asperula orientalis
Brassica, Mizuna Green
Mizuna Red
Broccoli Calabrese
Kale, Winter Red
Kale, Lacinato
Chrysanthemum, Garland
Calendula “Radio”
Callistephus-Hulk Aster
Callistephus-Matsumoto Violet
Campanula carpatica
Medium –mix, saved seed
Centaurea “Black Magic”
Centaurea-Dark Blue saved seed
Cerinthe Kiwi Blue
Gibraltar Pride
Chenopodium Strawberry Spinach
Clematis terniflora-saved seed from my vine
Coreopsis-saved seed of annuals, mix
Cosmos Limara Lemon
Double Click
Tall red/yellow/orange mix-saved seed
Delphinium-Larkspur saved seed-blues
Larkspur-saved seed white and pink
Dianthus superbus Poem
Rainbow Loveliness
Eryngium foetidum
Miss Willmott’s Ghost
Euphorbia marginata Icicle
Summer Crisp
Merveille de Quatre Saison
Seed Savers Exchange Mix
Paris Island Romaine
Prize Head
Salad Bowl
Lathyrus –High Scent
Janet Scott
Black Knight
Fragrant Mix from Seed Savers
Linaria reticulata
Linum-blue flax
Lychnis viscaria-Catchfly
Lycium chinense
Marshall’s Mix-Marshall is my husband, he knocked over a container of open flower seed packets. We’ll see what grows out of this! Campanulas, Cosmos, Delphiniums, Scabiosa, Poppies, etc.
Matthiola bicornis
Nicotiana mutabilis
Lime Green
Nolana humifusa Little Bells
Papaver-I know, I have a problem, but there is no 12 step group
Drama Queen
Peony White
Peony Black Swan
Persian White
Peony Mix-saved seed
The Giant
Hungarian Blue
Rye Beaner
Hens and Chicks
Greek poppy from JL Hudson
Lauren’s Grape
Single Lilac breadseed poppy (from seeds purchased for food)
Single white (saved seed)
Shirley Poppies
Petroselinum-Italian Survivor
Petunia integrifolia
Fragrant purple-blue heirloom mix, saved seed
Fragrant white, saved seed, probably Rainmaster
Physalis-ground cherry
Prunella-probably Freedlander Blue, saved seed
Rudbeckia Green Wizard
Solanum x burbankii Wonderberry
Tagetes tenuifolia-lemon
Trachelium-saved seed
Verbascum-purple mullein, saved seed
Zinnia-cactus flowered, saved seed
Zinnia Queen Lime
Zinnia Queen Red Lime
Zinnia Swizzle Cherry & Ivory

Columbus, OH

Ooh, my formatting is weird. If there is no genus, it's because they were indented till I posted it, it's the next genus above. Sorry!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

when ever you copy/paste nicely formatted text... it never works out right.

nice list.

Cowden, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the Marshall's mix! lol My son's name is Marshall, I could totally see him doing something like that.
Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of planting to do this spring :0)

it is one huge List ...OH MY..

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

For those of you who have done this before, has anyone ever tried winter sowing Tropical milkweed? I would like to start some by winter sowing, but wondered if it is too early or would that be okay to do now. Anyone? Thanks.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I do my Milkweeds -- I do Scarlet and Silky Golds
and i will start them in March -- though i have done them earlier... but if they germinate tooo soon, and you have a killing frost in early spring -- they could be toast.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

tcs, do you do this as winter sown or inside?

what is
Silky Golds?

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 8:33 PM

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 8:35 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have done them in a south facing window in about Feb. -- did that 2 yrs ago
all others are winter sown.

I found that the indoor sown ones did not really get a 'jump' on the WS ones.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

SUPER SCORE!! just checked my email that Free Cycle goes too.... someone has 20-30 gal. jugs!!

I'm waiting for a reply.

So is there a rule of thumb on what should not be winter sown ?? Iam sure there is a list of tenders ???

Great score with the jugs,I had a few left over,kept extras just in case.Told my SD about ws and she could have provided gallon jugs for 10 of us ...She has 4 kids..LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tamara.... I think any seed can be winter sowing - it's just WHEN should it be winter sown.

tropicals and tenders, should be done closer to spring.

my first year, when i knew absolutely nothing about it...i did everything in Jan and Feb. we had an early warm up - where much of the seedlings germinated... I had aluminum pan fulls of morning glories, and containers of Cosmos and a few Milkweeds.... some died when we dipped back into the 20's for highs in the day and close to zero at night.

I moved much of it to my covered front porch and covered the containers with a blanket to protect them at night... some I brought in the house.

So, since then, i try not to do my annuals too soon, just in case we have a huge warm up then a killing freeze.

Thank you ,I see I did ws floss flowers ,not a good idea ! I will bring them inside.I ll be starting all my annuals inside. I need to get stuff down here for that,all up, in the Back of the shed !! dH will get cold doing that !!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so impressed with all of the winter gardening going on here!

I'm just trying to start a few things. Some seeds that didn't work so well last year;
Giant Imperial Larkspur and sweet peas.

I live in an apartment with precious little space; but I rent a garden plot a few miles from here. Last year, for some strange (won't repeat) reason, I felt compelled to plant lots of veggies. Turns out, stinkbugs LOVED everything I planted except the lemon grass.

This year, I'm giving in to my inner gardener and planting flowers! I'm trying to keep a special emphasis on cutting flowers.

Does anyone have any tips for getting larkspur to thrive? (I just read one mistake I made was not germinating it in the cold)

Thanks Much!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

MD might be too hot for sweet pea, or the season miht be over by the end of May (but start in April) . I dunno - I used to have wonderful luck with direct sowed sweet peas and then I had kids and now I can't grow them worth a crap so I think you should ignore me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.