Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

wanting to start gardening but not sure about it.

Shirley, IN

I have heard there are advantages to hay bale gardening , but confess I know nothing about it. i would like to give it a try but have a few questions. I have a wooden large grate should I put the hay bale in there also I would like to grow sweet potatoes in it ,do they do well? do I need to prep the bale before i can plant ? is there a link where I might learn more about this ? thanks tammy

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Tammy,

I was in your shoes last year. Thanks to some awesome members on here I have to say I had success. Don't know if you live in town but if you do...your neighbors will talk!!! HA!!!!!

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year EVERYONE!!!!

Connie

Shirley, IN

Connie did you use hay or straw , I live out in the country but my neighbors will still talk , I know none of them have tried this .

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

We used straw last year and plan to use both this year. A few members on here used hay. Because there is nutrients in hay, you don't have to fertilize as often which is a plus. I had lots of fun last year with a few of my neighbors thinking we flipped our lids. After seeing the results, they are going to try a few. It was too funny ::::))))))

Connie

Shirley, IN

do you need to let your straw sit awhile before you plant I was going to get some now and put it where I want and let the snow and rain break it down, is that wise?

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

That is what we are doing. We have a few bales of straw out and looking for some hay. They do need to "cook" before you plant in them.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Here ya go...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120309/
And this is where these AWESOME members came into play for me. Sure hope Tobydog comes back on. I hate I hijacked his thread :(
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085253/

I also went back and read some old threads. Lots to read but good info.

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.