Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: wanting to start gardening but not sure about it.

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 7, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8296733

I have heard there are advantages to hay bale gardening , but confess I know nothing about it. i would like to give it a try but have a few questions. I have a wooden large grate should I put the hay bale in there also I would like to grow sweet potatoes in it ,do they do well? do I need to prep the bale before i can plant ? is there a link where I might learn more about this ? thanks tammy
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8296870

Hey Tammy,

I was in your shoes last year. Thanks to some awesome members on here I have to say I had success. Don't know if you live in town but if you do...your neighbors will talk!!! HA!!!!!

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year EVERYONE!!!!

Connie
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 7, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8296916

Connie did you use hay or straw , I live out in the country but my neighbors will still talk , I know none of them have tried this .
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8296973

We used straw last year and plan to use both this year. A few members on here used hay. Because there is nutrients in hay, you don't have to fertilize as often which is a plus. I had lots of fun last year with a few of my neighbors thinking we flipped our lids. After seeing the results, they are going to try a few. It was too funny ::::))))))

Connie
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

January 7, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8297171

do you need to let your straw sit awhile before you plant I was going to get some now and put it where I want and let the snow and rain break it down, is that wise?
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8297226

That is what we are doing. We have a few bales of straw out and looking for some hay. They do need to "cook" before you plant in them.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8297237

Here ya go...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120309/
And this is where these AWESOME members came into play for me. Sure hope Tobydog comes back on. I hate I hijacked his thread :(
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085253/

I also went back and read some old threads. Lots to read but good info.

Connie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America