Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather: Tricks to Growing? No Luck Here

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool WeatherReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MtnGardener
Longmont, CO
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8297216

Hi Glynis,

I'm a devotee of Chinese vegetables and have been trying to grow pok choi here north of Denver. I have heavily amended clay thanks to my livestock and access to an excellent watering system. The choi comes up fine but immediately separates into single stems, I've never gotten good "bulbs" or stout stems. We only two seasons here typically: winter and summer. Summers are windy, hot and very dry, hence the good watering system.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks,

Lori
steinbeck
Dallas, TX

January 8, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8299866

Add as much compost as possible to break up the clay, leaves, grass clippings, vegatable waste from the kitchen, or bought organic compost. We have clay here in Dallas and must amend the soil in order to grow anything other than Bermuda grass.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! Dea 7 Nov 9, 2009 1:28 PM
Great Article BronxBoy 3 Nov 6, 2009 4:28 PM
Inspirational joanfav 2 Jan 8, 2011 8:24 PM
Growing Chinese Vegetables in Cool Weath sunpetals 0 Apr 24, 2009 10:30 PM
When to plant sawpalm 0 Nov 16, 2009 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America