-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8297559

I know that zinna flowers are easy to grow, but I am ha ving a hard time getting these started. A pack of about l5 seeds is 3.95, at the growers. Does anyone have an excess of these that they would be willing to trade? D-mail me if you have some extras.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8297651

be glad to send you some. please dmail me your address.
summerflower
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8307550

Pm sent!!!
XMelissaX
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8311565

I have always had a terrilble germination rate from any store-bought zinnia seeds. Now I collect my own zinnia seeds every fall and have a very high germination rate. If there is a special variety I want I will buy it hoping to get a few to grow. Then I'll collect seeds in the fall and have plenty for the following year.
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8320660

If you don't mind mixed varieties and colors, I have Penwheel (mixed, but mostly pink and white), tall/mid-sized zinnias (a mix of several varieties like Cut and Come Again mix, All Summer Cutting mix, Scarlet Flame, Giant Purity and Oaklahoma mix), and shorter varieties (mix of Profusion, Border Bright, Thumbelina and Starlight--mostly pink shades). They got mixed up together because I forgot to mark which variety was where, but I do have a LOT of seeds (they are the one flower seed that just seems to flourish for me no matter what I do to them, so I guess it's a good thing I love Zinnias so much!), so you would be welcome to some of them if you'd like. Just let me know.

Kat
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8323306

Kat-M you have Dmail.

Bonnie
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8345099

I've not had problems with the store bought varities.

We start our seeds in the basement and have to use grow mats because it runs cooler than some of the plants like. Also I stick to varities that are on the local extension office as growing well in the area.

Here is the list for Kansas. http://www.prairiestarflowers.com/Prairie_Star_List.html

See this for temp requirements when starting seeds. http://www.ngb.org/year_of/index.cfm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America