Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: What is the name of the huge bamboo

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 9, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8298722

I wonder if I can grow the big kind of bamboo in Seattle. I'd like to use it for making furniture. What is it's name and will it grow here and will I be sorry if I do grow it?

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 18, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8317595

are you a miller or carpenter? I think alot of different types of Bamboo can be used to make furniture. There is a giant form though, not sure how long it takes until you can cut and use it. Theres clumping bamboo and running, runnings the one that gets away, even though the clumping still eventually spreads. If you can make money off making furniture and you had a paddock to grow it in it would be worth it. As long as you know the process of turning the actual cut bamboo into the bamboo ply to use.
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8318902

Thank you Breeindy. My ambitions are to use the bamboo as is, just cut to lengths for tables, chairs, shelves, trellises, etc. I love the look of the stuff. My understanding of bamboo is that it takes 3-5 years to cure in place before harvest. And are giant bamboo shoots edible? In other words, could bamboo control translate to food supply? Double purpose.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8479537

Hi Patti, my guess would be that you are inquiring of Moso. However, in zone 7a you might consider Vivax, as
Moso will not perform well in your area.

We live in Northeastern Oklahoma and are quite content with Vivax. Hope this helps. :-)
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8480481

Thanks Wuvie vivax it will be
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8691831

Wuvie is right, the Phyllostachys vivax can reach heights of 35 to 70ft & a diameter of 5in. In Zone 6 under full sun.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 14, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8692349

I have a friend in Seattle who is growing Henon bamboo in his back yard. New culms are comparable in diameter to a soda bottle. I have no idea if that is the type for which you are searching.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8692832

I would recommend you take a look at http://www.bambooweb.info and the American Bamboo Society, http://www.bamboo.org. To locate what works in your area for what you are wanting to do with it as well as find out which ones are tasty. hummmm hummm good boo shoots.

Jan

edited to correct web site

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 8:42 PM
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8695721

Oh, yes, I agree with wannadanc, I didn't think to suggest Henon.
We have a small grove of it as well, and are quite pleased with it.
Definitely worth considering as well.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8705011

I growPhyllostachys bambusoides ĎGiant Japanese Timberí for the wood quality. It is ADVERTISED as being hardy to Zone 7. (Iím in8b so I donít know if that is true or not. It is very definitely a runner though. It is attractive reaching a height of 70í. Itís not a bamboo for the faint of heart, but it is an excellent timber variety.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America