Ceramic Work 2011

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I thought I would start a new thread of new work done in 2011. But I am slightly cheating as these where fired the last week in Dec. but I didn't pick them up until Jan 1.

I am going up again on Tue to throw some tumblers and small espresso cups out of black clay that I will glaze with a combination of Randy's Red and Gloss black on the outside with the same, plus Hare's Fur on the inside, as I like that combo in the one bowl that is the top one in the collage.

These were all thrown with a speckled brown clay and fired at cone 6. Glazes on these include various combination's that include Randy's Red, Shino, Hare's Fur, Turquoise, Warm Jade and Gloss Black. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

All lovely bowls! My personal favorites are the 2 in the 2nd row....I can't choose which of those I like best.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I just gave away both of those to friends this week. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice Patti.
I check in here everynow and then

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

LOPVE them!!!!!!!
whatglazes did you use?

Deb

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Glazes on these include various combination's that include Randy's Red, Shino, Hare's Fur, Turquoise, Warm Jade and Gloss Black. I took shots of the pots when I glazed them with tags so I know what I did. Better than notes for me. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is another before and after using Randy's red and Shino. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

All pieces are great.
We use the glaze test pieces in the house here.
I have a green mug with 2% copper written on the bottom in ceramic pencil

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

The glaze room has all the tiles on the wall, but I never seem to get the same results....yet. Learning each time. Some more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Another. Turquoise and Randy's Red . Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Glaze colors differ from one fireing to another. Many times its temp. others its application, thicker or thinner.
Your pieces look great. What a great occupation in the winter.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful bowls Patti! I can't resist a good big bowl with a purty swirl thrown in the bottom!

There's so many reasons why duplicating results can be super hard, especially since you are (judging by your glazes) firing to ^6 in a gas kiln.

1. Glaze colors can be affected by what type of clay is underneath. If you're using brown speckled clay, and the tiles were made out of white stoneware, the glazes can look totally different.

2. Sometimes, depending on the ingredients, the glaze on a pot next to yours can fume in the kiln and affect the glaze on your piece! This happens a lot to clears, celedons, and whites when next to items with heavy chrome, cobalt or copper content.

3. If the test tiles on the wall are only for single glazes and not layered, such as you're doing... the second glaze you apply will be affected by the first one. For instance, if you put Randy's on first, and then put on Shino, it would look totally different than if you'd put the Shino on first, and Randy's on second.

4. When firing in a reduction kiln, the color could depend on where your piece is located in the kiln during firing. Usually there are "sweet spots" in big gas kilns where better reduction takes place, which would make glazes like copper reds develop their color properly.

I'm sure there's loads of other reasons why you are having trouble duplicating results, but these are the most common...

I wanna see more!
Rose

edited because I guessed wrong on the firing temp the first time...

This message was edited Jan 17, 2011 9:49 AM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Rose, thanks. I threw more pots the on Tues and then went back to trim them on Sunday. I had not wrapped them well enough and they were too dry, but I sprayed them down, rewrapped them for a few hours and then tried to trim them. They all made it ok except one which I broke. So I will have 9 more pieces in the bisque kiln this week. I will go up to glaze them on Thurs and throw more to trim on Friday. Hopefully they will be better.

I am going to properly learn about loading and firing the electric kilns at the studio this week too. Excited. I have noticed, as you said, how the different placement in the kiln with certain glazes makes for very different results. Once I start loading my own, I will have more control. But only if I learn about all the glazes.

We do have a huge wall of test tiles with multiple combinations on the 5 different normal clays that we can use which is very helpful. But the thickness of the glaze application is something that I am just starting to figure out. Lots to learn. Love it. More pictures next week. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yipppeee

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I picked up some more finished pieces and glazed some new ones yesterday at the studio. Here are collages of some of the new batch that show the glaze as applied and then the finished piece all on a dark brown clay body tired at cone 6.

Anyone else out there throwing anything? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I warped this one after throwing it and marked it as such, just to be silly. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

This one is a little bumpy on the outside where I left a lot of the clay body unglazed as I put the black on too thick. But I like the inside. Learning. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

This is the one with the bumpy outside, not the one above. But again I am happy with the inside. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Shino and Randy's Red do seem to work well together. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Really nice drifts of white slip on the brown bowles.

Very nice! Did you facet the top bowl? It kind of looks like it in the photo, but I can't tell for sure.

School started again last Wed. So I finally got out to my studio to trim the last "keeper" pots I threw on Jan 5th & 6th, and recycled a couple of others. I'll probably have enough pieces for a bisque load soon. I'll be throwing again this week.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

That top bowl was just wax resist, not faceted.

I have a few new things that are finished and I have a bunch to glaze. I plan of doing that on Tue and Weds this week. Here are a few of the new batch. I made collages so bear with me. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Another Plum. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Last plum. Not sure I like it as it reminds me of a bad Victorian couch fabric. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Some bronze green, cream and waterfall. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

More of the same. Like this color combination. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Couple more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I glazed a bunch of small bowls with blues and various whites. Here are a few of them. Some were not as I had hoped, but learning. More soon, hopefully. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I LOVE the plum glaze with Haresfur.
All are beautiful.
Good job.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Patti!

The Waterfall, Cream, and Green in the plate & bowl combo picture is beautiful! What studio do you work in up there in MA, and are you in a class or work independently?

I have to say, I am even more impressed by your documentation of process! One of the the hardest things to do in pottery is duplicating results, and I love the before and after pictures with the glazes you used marked clearly!

Rose

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ge1836. Too kind. I will do more with less plum and more shino and hare's fur and will like them better.

Plants4myPots, I am working out of a coop pottery studio in Brookline Ma, called Feet of Clay and they do have classes, but after a 40 year absence from doing some in college, I took a class in the fall of 2009 at Feet of Clay. Hooked again so I have been doing a bit independently since. In Feb, I took the plunge and rented a dedicated space in the coop, 6'x8' but use the studio's wheels, and kilns. I do coop work each month. Glaze making is my job. Love it. I use to draw pictures but have found that this picture taking is way easier with my tiny digital camera and as they are dated it is easy to know the sequence and actually see the results. Thanks for the support. Patti

Another beautiful batch of bowls----nice work! And I agree with Rose about your excellent documentation.

I'm trying to keep track with a spreadsheet, and recently started linking to a finished photo for each pot. Your collages showing before and after shots are much better than my notes, though!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

They're all beautiful but I just love the plum, gorgeous!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks all. Off to glaze a mess of stuff thrown last week and to load my first totally on my own kiln firing tomorrow, but I will have a pro standing by. Excited. Cone 6 electric. I will post pictures unless I blow up everything. Here are a few that are already glazed and going in, but the bulk is not yet glazed. I will be busy today. Fingers crossed. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A few more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Excited to see the finished products!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Fired the kiln. Was hotter than it should have been, but most of the pieces were ok, not great. But wonderful learning experience. I have about 30 more pieces to fire on the 15th, so I will hopefully be happier with them. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A group of espresso cups in dark clay. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A group of tumblers. I meant to use Bronze green on them but used OGT by mistake. Not so happy with it on the cream and waterfall. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Honey pot in dark clay. My first lid. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images