Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Ceramic Work 2011

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 55, Views: 228
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8298848

I thought I would start a new thread of new work done in 2011. But I am slightly cheating as these where fired the last week in Dec. but I didn't pick them up until Jan 1.

I am going up again on Tue to throw some tumblers and small espresso cups out of black clay that I will glaze with a combination of Randy's Red and Gloss black on the outside with the same, plus Hare's Fur on the inside, as I like that combo in the one bowl that is the top one in the collage.

These were all thrown with a speckled brown clay and fired at cone 6. Glazes on these include various combination's that include Randy's Red, Shino, Hare's Fur, Turquoise, Warm Jade and Gloss Black. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8299538

All lovely bowls! My personal favorites are the 2 in the 2nd row...I can't choose which of those I like best.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8299541

Thanks, I just gave away both of those to friends this week. Patti

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8300091

Very nice Patti.
I check in here everynow and then
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8300803

LOPVE them!!!!!!!
whatglazes did you use?

Deb
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8300982

Thanks, Glazes on these include various combination's that include Randy's Red, Shino, Hare's Fur, Turquoise, Warm Jade and Gloss Black. I took shots of the pots when I glazed them with tags so I know what I did. Better than notes for me. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8300987

Here is another before and after using Randy's red and Shino. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8301003

All pieces are great.
We use the glaze test pieces in the house here.
I have a green mug with 2% copper written on the bottom in ceramic pencil
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8301053

The glaze room has all the tiles on the wall, but I never seem to get the same results...yet. Learning each time. Some more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8301054

Another. Turquoise and Randy's Red . Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8301814

Glaze colors differ from one fireing to another. Many times its temp. others its application, thicker or thinner.
Your pieces look great. What a great occupation in the winter.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8314889

Beautiful bowls Patti! I can't resist a good big bowl with a purty swirl thrown in the bottom!

There's so many reasons why duplicating results can be super hard, especially since you are (judging by your glazes) firing to ^6 in a gas kiln.

1. Glaze colors can be affected by what type of clay is underneath. If you're using brown speckled clay, and the tiles were made out of white stoneware, the glazes can look totally different.

2. Sometimes, depending on the ingredients, the glaze on a pot next to yours can fume in the kiln and affect the glaze on your piece! This happens a lot to clears, celedons, and whites when next to items with heavy chrome, cobalt or copper content.

3. If the test tiles on the wall are only for single glazes and not layered, such as you're doing... the second glaze you apply will be affected by the first one. For instance, if you put Randy's on first, and then put on Shino, it would look totally different than if you'd put the Shino on first, and Randy's on second.

4. When firing in a reduction kiln, the color could depend on where your piece is located in the kiln during firing. Usually there are "sweet spots" in big gas kilns where better reduction takes place, which would make glazes like copper reds develop their color properly.

I'm sure there's loads of other reasons why you are having trouble duplicating results, but these are the most common...

I wanna see more!
Rose

edited because I guessed wrong on the firing temp the first time...

This message was edited Jan 17, 2011 9:49 AM
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8315268

Rose, thanks. I threw more pots the on Tues and then went back to trim them on Sunday. I had not wrapped them well enough and they were too dry, but I sprayed them down, rewrapped them for a few hours and then tried to trim them. They all made it ok except one which I broke. So I will have 9 more pieces in the bisque kiln this week. I will go up to glaze them on Thurs and throw more to trim on Friday. Hopefully they will be better.

I am going to properly learn about loading and firing the electric kilns at the studio this week too. Excited. I have noticed, as you said, how the different placement in the kiln with certain glazes makes for very different results. Once I start loading my own, I will have more control. But only if I learn about all the glazes.

We do have a huge wall of test tiles with multiple combinations on the 5 different normal clays that we can use which is very helpful. But the thickness of the glaze application is something that I am just starting to figure out. Lots to learn. Love it. More pictures next week. Patti

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8315396

yipppeee
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8355870

I picked up some more finished pieces and glazed some new ones yesterday at the studio. Here are collages of some of the new batch that show the glaze as applied and then the finished piece all on a dark brown clay body tired at cone 6.

Anyone else out there throwing anything? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8355873

I warped this one after throwing it and marked it as such, just to be silly. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8355875

This one is a little bumpy on the outside where I left a lot of the clay body unglazed as I put the black on too thick. But I like the inside. Learning. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8355880

This is the one with the bumpy outside, not the one above. But again I am happy with the inside. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8355885

Shino and Randy's Red do seem to work well together. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8356119

Really nice drifts of white slip on the brown bowles.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8357374

Very nice! Did you facet the top bowl? It kind of looks like it in the photo, but I can't tell for sure.

School started again last Wed. So I finally got out to my studio to trim the last "keeper" pots I threw on Jan 5th & 6th, and recycled a couple of others. I'll probably have enough pieces for a bisque load soon. I'll be throwing again this week.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8439502

That top bowl was just wax resist, not faceted.

I have a few new things that are finished and I have a bunch to glaze. I plan of doing that on Tue and Weds this week. Here are a few of the new batch. I made collages so bear with me. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8439507

Another Plum. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8439512

Last plum. Not sure I like it as it reminds me of a bad Victorian couch fabric. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8439523

Some bronze green, cream and waterfall. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8439526

More of the same. Like this color combination. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8439531

Couple more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8439540

I glazed a bunch of small bowls with blues and various whites. Here are a few of them. Some were not as I had hoped, but learning. More soon, hopefully. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
1:32 AM

Post #8439834

I LOVE the plum glaze with Haresfur.
All are beautiful.
Good job.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8440177

Patti!

The Waterfall, Cream, and Green in the plate & bowl combo picture is beautiful! What studio do you work in up there in MA, and are you in a class or work independently?

I have to say, I am even more impressed by your documentation of process! One of the the hardest things to do in pottery is duplicating results, and I love the before and after pictures with the glazes you used marked clearly!

Rose
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8440320

Ge1836. Too kind. I will do more with less plum and more shino and hare's fur and will like them better.

Plants4myPots, I am working out of a coop pottery studio in Brookline Ma, called Feet of Clay and they do have classes, but after a 40 year absence from doing some in college, I took a class in the fall of 2009 at Feet of Clay. Hooked again so I have been doing a bit independently since. In Feb, I took the plunge and rented a dedicated space in the coop, 6'x8' but use the studio's wheels, and kilns. I do coop work each month. Glaze making is my job. Love it. I use to draw pictures but have found that this picture taking is way easier with my tiny digital camera and as they are dated it is easy to know the sequence and actually see the results. Thanks for the support. Patti
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8440623

Another beautiful batch of bowls----nice work! And I agree with Rose about your excellent documentation.

I'm trying to keep track with a spreadsheet, and recently started linking to a finished photo for each pot. Your collages showing before and after shots are much better than my notes, though!
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8440814

They're all beautiful but I just love the plum, gorgeous!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8462138

Thanks all. Off to glaze a mess of stuff thrown last week and to load my first totally on my own kiln firing tomorrow, but I will have a pro standing by. Excited. Cone 6 electric. I will post pictures unless I blow up everything. Here are a few that are already glazed and going in, but the bulk is not yet glazed. I will be busy today. Fingers crossed. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8462140

A few more. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8462611

Excited to see the finished products!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8474597

Fired the kiln. Was hotter than it should have been, but most of the pieces were ok, not great. But wonderful learning experience. I have about 30 more pieces to fire on the 15th, so I will hopefully be happier with them. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8474611

A group of espresso cups in dark clay. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8474616

A group of tumblers. I meant to use Bronze green on them but used OGT by mistake. Not so happy with it on the cream and waterfall. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8474624

Honey pot in dark clay. My first lid. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8474630

Second lid on a kitchen compost pot. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8474643

I did a group in the Randy's red with Hare's Fur and Shino. Some don't have enough contrast. This is one of the better ones of the 6. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8474676

This one needs to be re-fired as the black got too hot and is icky, but I like the bowl. A bigger one did the same thing. grrrrrrrrrrrr. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8474690

All the ones in this group all came out OK. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8474719

Last one tonight is a planter. I need to make a saucer for it. Tad heavy but then it won't blow over when I plant something in it like a upright fuchsia to pick up the plum color. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8475073

My faves are the planter and the compost pot----but they all look great!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8552284

Patti,

I came in looking for your last summer's garden pictures and find this. Your pots are as beautiful as your gardens. God gives certain people many talents. It's hard to pick a favorite because I love bowls, but my particular favorites are the honey and crock pots(you can call it a compost pot, but I think it's made for finer things) and any of your plum bowls. I know you've had a cold winter and spring, but hope you haven't gone off the idea of gardening.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8556354

I was thrilled out of my mind to pick this up fired last week. It's definitely the best piece I've ever made, and the glaze turned out just the way I wanted. I could learn to love THAT aspect...LOL!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8557221

Gorgeous pot, Imapigeon! Very Venetian!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8560034

imapigeon, now that is Sweet. Love it and you should too. I know it is way bigger than the picture looks which is even more awesome. Thanks for sharing your great work.

Pam, no lack of time playing in either the clay or the dirt. Garden is good. I am putting together an album which I will send you the link to when it is done. Planted another 5000 plus bulbs last fall so it has been a good spring. Put in a new area with lots of Japanese maples, iris, heuchera, primula and other shrubs. As for the plum bowls, they all got sold at the pottery show that I was just in. Kind of amazing. Honey pot was also sold and I gave my composting pot to the friend who had wanted one, so I have to get busy and make more of everything. Thanks for the encouragement. Shot of some of my work at the show, thankfully now a nice chunk of it sold, so I more plant money. I also unloaded at the seconds table a bunch of not so loved stuff. The next show is not until December so I have time to do some better work. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8560497

Really nice display---love the blending of background fabric colors with glaze colors. Congrats on your sales!!!!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8563837

Patti, your display is just GORGEOUS - I can see why you sold a bunch! Your bowls on the second shelf from the top are just to die for... Are you really firing in an electric kiln only? Me really wanty that Plum glaze recipe!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8564088

Plants4myPots, Thanks, The next time I am up there, I will send it to you. I am one of the studio glaze makers.

imapigeon, Funny about the fabric, a dear friend brought it back to me as a gift from Bali a few years back and it was just folded up in a drawer that I happened to open the day I was going up to set up the pottery show display and I realized it was full of all the colors I had been using. Plus it was totally the right size. A total coinkidink. Patti
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8564216

Please post any glaze recipes you're willing to share here!

I can post the one for the satin white matte I used on my grapevine jar if anyone's interested. This is only the 2nd time I've used it, but I like it a lot.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8564646

Ima, Your pot is beautiful, and the grape leaf and vine is gorgeous. The glazing is so lovely with the variations. May I ask the size and how you plan to use it? It looks like a it would be great for my home-made biscotti, if I actually ever get around to making home-made biscotti.

Patti, You must have found it difficult to let some of your work go. I always wonder how artists can bear to part with their creations.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8566723

Pam, since I'm keeping this one, I didn't measure it. Thanks for the reminder----and the compliments! It's definitely big enough to be a cookie jar, and biscotti has been mentioned more than once by my fellow students. The glaze has that "Italian" look to it.

I'm keeping it outside in my courtyard next to the front door with the small tools I need out there to snip my plants, light my candles, etc. When we sit out there in the summer (assuming the weather warms up again!!) I'll enjoy being able to see it, and know that it's functional too.

It's usually easy for me to find new homes for my stuff because, like many of us, I tend to see and focus on all the flaws in my own work. If I give something away to someone else, they're not going to even know what bothers me about it (like a planter that turned out gorgeous, but didn't stay QUITE round). Another potter might, but someone else either won't recognize the imperfections or won't care. I donate a lot of stuff to charity that is technically good, but doesn't come out the way I want, and I've also mashed a lot of pieces for mosaic so they're not "out there" with my name on them. I hate doing that because of all the work that goes into a piece.

I only keep about 25% of what I throw. My teacher says I'm way too picky, but I'd rather recycle the clay before it's fired than have to decide what to do with a finished piece that's not up to my standards. For me the joy is in the making and improving my skills. I rarely end up with a finished piece that I want to keep---which is one reason this jar is such a treat. I've already told my husband that if I ever ask him to wrap this up for ANY reason (like I'm desperate for a wedding gift) that he has to refuse...LOL!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America