Photo by Melody

Rural Gardening: Questions Please

Communities > Forums > Rural Gardening
Forum: Rural GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks

January 8, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8300040

Does a beehive need to be in the sun? My backyard is not big and I have a pool, will people be stung or will the bees not care about us if we don't bother them. Will they drown in the pool?
If anyone can answer these questions will be a start and I would be grateful.

Thumbnail by Fruity_Sage
Click the image for an enlarged view.

West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8304048

We are new beekeepers, since last spring, and according to what we have read, they don't have to be out in the sun. Dappled sun or at the edge of the woods is great. That way, the hive doesn't heat up as much in the summer. In regards to the pool question - we had a neighbor recently put in a pool, and, as soon as he did, our bees were drowning in the pool. They went to the pool to get a drink, fell in, and couldn't get out. We hoped to solve this problem by placing a water container near the hive, with sticks in it (in case they fell in.) This cut down on the problem, but our neighbor still has a few bees in his water from time to time.

January 22, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8325234

Thanks for that information. We have bees sometimes in our pool from time to time without anyone around us having a hive. Good luck with your hive. I've got a few alternative water containers and just need a bit of duck weed should help. It's always great to get another persons opinion when you are just starting out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rural Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America