Photo by Melody

Organic Gardening: Converted Rain Barrel question......

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
Hutto, TX

January 9, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8300549

I have a 500 gal. converted rain barrel that I plan to use for collecting rain. It is made out of thick walled translucent plastic. My question is should I paint the barrel a dark color to prevent algae build-up inside the tank? Thank you in advance.

Thumbnail by hornstrider
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8302988

There's two separate things - translucent, and light/dark. If it were me, I'd go with paint, yes, to block light from algae. But I'd make it white rather than black so as not to heat the water so much in the summer.
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8307449

I agree with realbirdlady; keep out the light but use lighter paint that won't raise the temperature of the water inside and encourage algae growth. My plastic rain barrels came in a light green color.
Hutto, TX

January 13, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8308069

realbirdlady, CapeCodGardener...Thank you for the painting tips...
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8323001


I really doesn't matter if you paint your barrel. If you paint the outside with an acrylic enamel, (Test a little area around the top rim) make it a light color that blends with the landscaping. This will help prevent UV deterioration of that fine and EXPENSIVE chemical barrel and stand.

If the top is open, algae will find their way into the water and thrive, because rainwater contains dissolved atmospheric nitrogen. If you are worried about algae buildup try any of the algaecides available from pond supply companies that is safe for fish. There are products that are nothing more than blue dye which are very effective in controlling algae growth in wastewater treatment lagoons. They stop ultraviolet transmission and thus photosynthesis killing algae. Yet they have no apparent harmful effects on fish & bacteria. The dye products are EPA approved, but check for warnings about use around your garden.

Don't use Copper Sulfate or Bleach to kill algae as it is overkill.

At your service, your humble oberschiesmeister,


You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America