Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: paper casting

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 4, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8301241

I have some molds Im wanting to use for paper casting.. I have the cotton linter but Im not sure if I should add any other paper to it to help make it stronger.. can anyone give me some tips???
GinPetty
Berea, KY

January 9, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8301456

How large are the pieces and how fine a detail do you want? Linter is excellent for small pieces and great for detail work, but strength can be a problem with larger pieces. What are you casting?
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8302658

GinPetty, thanks for your help... Im using different cookie molds, some are maybe 3x3 ins, the others as big as your hand.. I cast some and had issues with strength.. I was wondering if I added some "new " paper to the mix if that would help.. I added paper stabilizer and buffer to the water but just used the linter. After drying some of them seemed to have weak "seams" in some areas.. I watered down some PPA and brushed it on to help hold them closed and it also added some strength but I dont want to have to coat every casting.. the thinner ones seem to be more ridged.. Im just getting started with casting and really dont want to waste any of it if I can help it..Using just the cotton linter gave me really smooth surfaces, almost too smooth it seemed but great detail. I would like to have just a tad bit of texture to them..Id like to hand color some of them after they dry and so have to make sure the water colors will not bleed.
.any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!
thanks
Kathleen
GinPetty
Berea, KY

January 10, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8303472

"New" paper or recycle paper won't give you strength. (Possible exceptions would be picture mats, professional watercolor paper or quality stationery. All of these contain cotton rag which has a longer fiber length than linter.) The addition of a little abaca half stuff would give additional strength. You can also add either cooked cornstarch or PVA glue for strength. If you're planning on watercoloring the pieces, you might do a couple of test pieces using the addition of cornstarch or PVA and see how that affects the color absorption. Depending on how much you use, both will act to a certain extent as sizing (prevention of water absorption). Don't be afraid of that, though. Professional watercolor paper has sizing in it. Otherwise, the paper would act very much like a blotter.

I can't offer any guidance on "how much" of anything. You'll just have to play it by ear. I can offer this - I used cooked cornstarch in the vat to strengthen handmade paper and to give it some sizing. In a container I can shake, I mix 1TBS of cornstarch and 2 TBS of cold water. To that I add 1 cup of rapidly boiling water and stir. (Pour the boiling water in quickly. If you don't, you get lumps.)

Hope this gives you some direction to go.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8304280

Thank you so much!!!! I know that there will be failures till I get the process down pat but it helps to have someone with experience to pass on tips and advice..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America