Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Is My Produce Safe?: White vinegar

Communities > Forums > Article: Is My Produce Safe?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Is My Produce Safe?Replies: 2, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

January 10, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8302151

Thanks for a good article!
Found this interesting discussion about using bleach, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, as well as--whoda thunk it!-- microwaving wooden cutting boards to disinfect them.
http://www.rodale.com/natural-disinfectant
jp

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8303129

Hi jp,

Thanks for reading and thanks for posting the Rodale link. Vinegar sure does have a lot of uses, and it does have antimicrobial properties. I believe vinegar can also be used to kill off poison ivy. I seem to recall a Master Gardening friend telling me to try using apple cider vinegar on our poison ivy. I guess it worked because we don't have a problem with it.

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
Diana
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 10, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8303486

Hi; A very good article, I enjoyed it.

I once took a course in environmental health and one section was about food saftey. We were suppose to find and read a dozen articles about new research on food saftey.

One article talked about spraying hydrogen peroxide on the vegs (esp. lettuce type stuff) after they had been washed and before they were wrapped for sale. They said it did reduce the pathogen load.

But then maybe vinegar might be better, though they never mentioned that for lettuce.

So ---- I carried this in to my everyday life.

I wash all my veg I buy from the store, esp. lettuce and spinach and then I spray from a bottle of diluted hydrogen peroxide .

Do you remember about spinach making people sick back some years ago?
I could have told them it was going to happen, because when I opened up a bag from the store it really smelled bad. That is also a good sign not to eat stuff. They were getting more careless and it was getting worse all the time before a lot of people became ill. It should have never happened.

However; Cabbage/broccoli confusses me. I noticed that even fresh out of my own spring, and fall gardens if it is enclosed for just a few hours and you open it - it smells rather strong.

Oh dear I sound like a know it all. Except of course about what to do with the cabbage family - cook it I guess???

This message was edited Jan 10, 2011 9:10 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Is My Produce Safe? Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America