Photo by Melody

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: Amaryllis

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Klug
San Diego, CA

January 10, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8302683

Here in San Diego, I've read that to get them to bloom, turn over the pots in Nov. so that they can't get any water and then resume watering in Dec. or Jan. I've done this for quite awhile, but notice that some bulbs never lose the leaves, even when getting no water. should I cut the leaves off when ceasing to water or just leave them on?

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8304169

Klug, When I lived in Bellflower Ca. Ii had many amas planted in the yard. We were a flower shop and the ones that did not sell we planted in the year, every year we had many blooms, that we cut and used in arrangements we sold. In San Deigo, they should live quite well in your yard.
Julegaut
Mahdia
Tunisia

January 11, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8305032

The best way is to put the pot in dark room or cover it with a bigger pot. The leaves will dry out.
After eight weeks, I put my pots in a warm room, begin watering to have new flowers during cold season
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8305825

They sure can be tough plants!

I'm having a little zone envy at the idea of growing all kinds of amaryllises without having to find room for them inside over the winter. :-)

There's actually no reason why you have to let them go dormant, unless you are trying to "time" the bloom (dormant bulbs should give you a bloom 6-8 weeks after they are potted up in a warm place). I think I'd be tempted to just let them to their thing in San Diego, either in pots or in the ground. They'll bloom when they feel like it, and it'll be a spectacular surprise. Who knows, maybe you'll get blooms more than once a year. ?
Julegaut
Mahdia
Tunisia

January 12, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8306976

You are right, I only put few pots on dormancy: for the office & for my wife. I always plan to have flower during cold season: january (European winter). The rest of my bulbs are always in the garden. They usually bloom begenning of spring. In winter I make selection for the ones I want to cross to produce seeds wich I plant in pots.
Have you ever tried to increase bulbs by division?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America