Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

African Violets and Gesneriads: New things for my violet room

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 18, Views: 224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 10, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8302996

I wanted to show you what my hubby and I bought this weekend. I had gotten more ill with POTS after my years of CFS. I am now able to care for my violets again. My sweet hubby did it for MONTHS.

SO, to make it easy, we had a card table in front of my shelves. Looked awful so we bought this sweet folding table. Works great. Looks pretty. I also found the shelves on the left side of the violets. Some of my Episcia's do not like the direct light so they live to the side. They were on the floor, poor things. ha. Now they look great and they are happy. I have Epicia's in glass on the bottom right, they love the lights. Cleopatra, Ember lace.

Anyway, here is a photo I took this morning. I use a little chair to sit and do some of the watering, etc.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8303285

Oh, Sally...I am so glad to hear you are able to care for your plants now. How wonderful :) Very nice set up. You could sit at that beautiful folding table and drink coffee while admiring your beauties!!

Connie
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 10, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8303307

It does make it easy to have things right there. There is a HUGE closet across the room, but right now, it is too much trouble believe it or not. Hopefully I will keep making progress.

lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8303528

That is a beautiful plant you are holding! All your plants look great...your husband has done a wonderful job for you! So glad you are feeling better and enjoying your plants again.

A friend in our club has shelves like yours and when I first saw them, I thought the lights were too far from her plants, but after a couple years, I seen them again the other week and they are beautiful plants all in bloom and I was totally amazed. It was like walking thru a plant show. I wish I had just a little more luck with my plants blooming more.

Take care. tish
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8303530

Sally,
I am so happy you are feeling better!! I am not sure how the progression of CFS and then POTS has affected you,but I admire your spirit and determination.

Lynn
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8303535

Tish,
My plants are not blooming as much as they should either ??? Can't figure it out,unless it's a little too cool.

Lynn
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 10, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8303616

Ibrabec, the CFS has been here with me for 18 years. After I had a sugery, POTS started. P.O.T.S. can happen after surgery, car accident, with Chronic Fatigue... Lots of very young girls get it. The Autonomic Nervous System stops working correctly. In a nutshell, the blood can't make it up to the brain when you stand. A lot of symptoms and problems with it. Most doctors have never heard of it. Pretty shameful.

I have a wonderful Integrative MD. I have to take many supplements.$$$ Most doctors know nothing about that either. I am blessed to have her as my doctor. In all her years she has only seen two patients with Dysautonomia (POTS) and I am far worse that the other one. OY.

I just like to tell people about it a little so maybe little by little people will know about it or it can help someone.

I miss gardening outside but I am so happy to be able to keep my violets. I thought I would have to get rid of them. My sweet hubby had bought me the two large floral carts too! He did a great job keeping the plants alive. The hard part is the repotting... He gets it all out for me and I do the potting. Hard work for me right now but I do love the violets!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8304381

Sally: I'm so glad you are feeling better. You look fantastic in the photo here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8303307

Please tell us the name of that wonderful violet you are holding!

You have a gem of a husband who takes good care of you, and it's wonderful that he is willing and able tend your plants when you are not up to it! Your stands look wonderful as always, and I love that little metal folding table in front of the stands, I'd love to find a couple of those to use in my small guest room!

I hope this new year treats you kindly and that your health continues to improve. Look forward to seeing more pictures of your lovely plants!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8304557

Lin, that is Sunlit Sugar Plum. That was right after surgery, right before the POTS happened. I look decent, but not good, ha.

Yes, the folding table is SO pretty. Would be great in any room or outside.

Thank you for the New Year wishes. I hope everyone has a great year. I do hope and expect to improve. You do not get a cure with my conditions but you can feel better. That is true of many things. I put a colored star on each day. My dad suggested it! Instead of writing down how I feel. It is easy to see at a glance on a calendar.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8304574

I agree that with many illnesses there is no cure and one will have good days and bad. Lets hope this new year finds you having more good days than bad! What a great idea your dad had of placing a star on the calendar each day, like a scale of 1-10 or even 1-5 ... a different colored star for how you are feeling that particular day.

Sunlit Sugar Plum is one beautiful violet and shows your great talent at growing! I've always enjoyed the photo's of your beautiful plants and the creative way you display them!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8304618

Here is another hobby, goes with the violets. I did this and the next terrarium yesterday. I just got three more fairies in the mail yesterday. :)

Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8304620

One more. I need to get some Episcia's in these terrariums next time.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8304657

Your arrangements are ALWAYS stunning, Sally. You know how to capture it in photos too. What a pleasure to look at.

Connie
meag848
Kittrell, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8305103

Sally, I have always loved your terrariums. You have the touch! Not just anyone can do this...believe me I have tried.
I hope that the coming year will bring you good health!!
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8306745

Lovely plants and a very happy gardener, thanks for the inspiration Sally! Hope all the wonderful blooms will give you back the nourishment they received from you. Here is what I ended up with in October while trying to overwinter the seedlings I started and the whole bunch of other plants. Even a young brug managed to find a spot here

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8306781

Maria,
They look great!!

Lynn
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 13, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8308505

Lots of happy plants, Maria!
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8308538

Thanks ladies, although far from perfect but now it's my favorite place in the house, I could stay in my unfinished basement for hours. Sally, you inspired me to start thinking how to make it more inviting and cosy. So if hubby isn't happy with the expences it would be all your fault lol
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 13, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8308980

HA! Don't blame me! :) I just love to have everything as neat as possible. I am just like that. Everyone is different. I love to clean my shelves and have each plant separate so they all have lots of room for air and light. I love to add pretty things too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America