Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog Junkie: I order primarily vegetable seeds

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog Junkie
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog JunkieReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

January 11, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8305444

So I depend a lot on mail order because I like to grow unusual varieties for my stand at the local grower's market. My local nurseries stock only one or two varieties of eggplant, for instance, three kinds of peppers, no pimentos, etc. I have also ordered some fruit trees by mail in order to get unusual varieties. I have generally been pleased with the results. I recommend Stark Brothers and Grandpa's Orchard as two nurseries that ship at the right times, package their products carefully, and stand by their guarantees.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8307076

Thanks for sharing your comments, eskarp. Have you ever tried a zucchini called 'Gadzukes?' It has equally-spaced ridges, so that when you cut it crosswise, you get scalloped edges. My wife makes pickles out of them, and guests are always astonished when she serves them. Here's the link: http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/squash/summer/zucchini/squash-summer-gadzukes!-zucchini-hybrid-prod000915.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog Junkie Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article, good advice Kathleen 9 Jan 20, 2008 9:35 PM
The Problem with Catalogs Noturf 0 Jan 10, 2011 4:52 AM
exceptions treesmoocher 7 Jan 17, 2012 5:23 AM
and another thing jazzy1okc 3 Jan 12, 2011 1:23 PM
Mail order catalog guarantees GREYTHOUNDS 1 Jan 11, 2011 1:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America