Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sleep In Heavenly Peace: Once upon a time in Florida

Communities > Forums > Article: Sleep In Heavenly Peace
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sleep In Heavenly PeaceReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

January 11, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8305543

In January 1977, it snowed all over the state. Being a native Floridian, that was the first time I had ever seen snow. It fell in little, tiny flakes, like dandruff falling from the sky. At the time, I worked for an advertising circular, a freebie, that was actually printed across the state in Bradenton (west coast; I'm from Ft. Pierce on the east coast). That very day, we were going to visit our printing facilities in Bradenton. I have never been so cold in my life; I had on several layers of clothing, including the heaviest coat I owned. The wind sliced through all of it like a knife through hot butter. As we crossed the state (about a 3-1/2 hr. drive), I felt sorry for the cattle gathered together in a megaherd, a patina of snow on their backs. Poor things probably didn't know what on earth had hit them! I'm not a cold-weather person at all and didn't enjoy the feeling of being chilled to the bone, but your article put me in the snow, knee-deep, cold air burning my cheeks, fingers freezing... and for a brief moment, I enjoyed the experience. (Now, if I just could have built a snow man!) Since then, several years later, I had the experience of visiting Gatlinburg, TN in November. Saw the beautiful fall leaves, and snow across valleys that looked like something off a Christmas card. I actually got to make a snowball the size of a tennis ball. Whew! It's currently 64 degrees tonight but I think I'd better go make a cup of hot tea! Thanks again for the experience.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

January 15, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8312767

Hi there orangegrovegirl,

You made me smile from the inside. I too feel for the cattle and horses huddled together braving the cold. The cold is wonderful but after a while, you have to go in and defrost. Thank you for coming along for the brief moment. :)

You are very welcome and I thank you for your wonderful words!

Take care and all the best
Ben

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sleep In Heavenly Peace Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poetic Sharran 1 Jan 7, 2011 2:53 PM
very nice indeed! trackinsand 1 Jan 8, 2011 12:37 PM
Yes! jazzy1okc 1 Jan 15, 2011 8:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America