Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: Freddie has reproduced.

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 8, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
begoniadude
Irving, TX

January 12, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8307121

In September I took a leaf from my Begonia 'Freddie' cut it up into wedges and inserted them into moist vermiculite which was enclosed in a clear shoe box container. I had them in my greenhouse and they did nothing except root. There were no new babies. On January 1 I decided to bring them into the house and put them under my lights. On the 8th I noticed a new baby plant attached to one of the wedges. Yesterday I noticed a second one. I guess it pays to never give up.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8307158

Dude you are right. I have set pots aside that look like soil tops. Then when I think to use the pot time and time again there is life. Sometimes I am pleased to see that happen if the tag was still with the pot. Other than that it is a mystery plant I nuture from that point. At least I know it is a begonia coming up. What surprises me the soil is bone dry, so I just spritz it.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8307473

Same here Dude. I rooted 3 wedges of Freddie a few months ago and still no pups but the wedges are as green as the day I put them in perlite. That happened to me before with a beefsteak - rooted in fall and did not pup until spring. Patience is sometimes rewarded - good job by the way!
begoniadude
Irving, TX

January 13, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8308413

Perlite hasn't worked as well for me.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8308514

Why do you think that is? Dry out too fast?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8308664

I know it is elementary now, but until I realized it to put a drip pan under the Perlite pan. I wasn't having success either. I had not made any holes in the Perlite pan. My plants were always drying out. The plants just crashed and burned. I have lost some really unusal begonias that way. It would be luck to have them again. I am having much better success with propagating with Perlite. Don't know if that is your issue but it solved alot of mine.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8308694

Seems like that would lead to rot with no drain holes unless you are very careful on not overwatering which could lead to it being too dry or too wet depending on how heavy or light your watering hand is.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

begoniadude
Irving, TX

January 13, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8308982

Yes I couldn't keep it wet enough. It would dry out too fast. In an enclosed environment the vermiculite seems to consistantly hold moisture.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8309079

Put a lid on it to keep the humidity high. I checked my Freddie cuttings again and found one has sprouted 3 babies.

Here is another method: a vinyl sheet tucked in around the tray. A large plastic cup is used to create a tent pole.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America