Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Thanks Critter!

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 10, Views: 189
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8307276

I found some seeds I received from you from a couple of years ago, 'Aleppo' and 'Fish Pepper'. I sprouted both on wet coffee filters on my heat mat, and had almost 100% germination in less than a week. I will be growing both out this year. Were you able to keep seeds going for the Aleppo? I have space for about 6 plants of each. Hopefully they will do well here in central Texas, and I will be able to share widely next season.

David R
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8309930

How cool... haven't dropped by this form in a while, and I found this thread up near the top!

Those heat mats are amazing for pepper seeds. :-)

I did grow out 'Aleppo' again this past year, and the seeds have been coming true nicely. (I do have seeds to share, more than the few I was able to send out last year, but I might not get an offer posted for a while yet... lots of other catching up to do around here, but I'm getting there!)

I hope your plants do well. It's a delicious pepper!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8396823

I just germinated Critter's Allepepo and Fish peppers that she sent me over a year ago with great success.
Thanks a million Critter
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8396855

Good to know! I find pepper & tomato seeds are usually "good" for at least 5 years. :-)

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8407493

Here are some of the seedlings from the Aleppo and Fish peppers. You can see that the Fish is already starting to variegate! I panicked for a minute when I first saw this, then I remembered that the Fish Pepper has variegated leaves--whew!

You can't easily see the height, but they are about 5-inches or so. You can get an idea of the spread by knowing that the pots are 3.5 inches.

It looks like these will be nice plants, as long as I don't blow it. I'll probably be planting them in "e-buckets" soon. The temperatures here are abnormally warm--soil temp is already between 65 and 70 F. If we get a cold snap I can easily move the e-buckets in for the night.

Thanks again Jill!

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8407932

They look great!! Those cream-splashed leaves on the Fish Pepper can make you do a double take, especially when it's just here and there on the seedlings. The markings look more "variegated on purpose" on a larger plant!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8420407

Your babies are beautiful!

I grew the Aleppo last year, and while I loved the flavor, my production was poor. I think the season is a tad short for them here. I tried to over-winter one of mine, but it bit the dust when basement door blew open one night and the temps were around 5 degrees.

I may plant a few seeds now and try to nurture them a few extra weeks to see if I can get them to produce earlier.

With the horrendous winter we've had, I am eager to get out there and work the soil. Yesterday was the first day I was able to see the garden this year, and OHHHHH what alot of work I have before me! Alot of the deer fencing is down, posts have slipped, and bth gates are broken. And to add to the mess left behind by excessive snow and wind, we've had over 2" of rain in the past 24 hours. I shudder to think what the yard will look like when I get home. (And I'll probably need a snorkle and fins to access the basement!)

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8420411

Sequee,

Good luck getting into the basement. : ) We've had just the opposite problem here. I've had no trouble working in the garden, because it has been so dry. I'm watering everything that is started by hand...no sign of rain in the near future.

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8420419

Seems like the weather has gone totally awry. I hope we get some balance. If this moisture continues, it's going to make for a rough plant-out, though I guess I' REALLY jumping the gun on that one.

I'm hoping I can at least get out into the yard and do a clean-up on Sunday. The weather is supposed to be cloudy, but mild and dry. At this point, I'll take that with a smile!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #8999131

I did get the seedlings in the garden, but didn't have a great crop due to the weather. My entire harvest fit in a quart ziploc bag after drying and seeding. I do have enough seeds to share, though, so I guess I will post an offer for the seeds. I didn't has the same luck with the fish peppers. There was very little variegation on the plants, and all the peppers ripened from green to red--no white. I didn't harvest enough of the fish peppers to even mess with trying to keep them. They definitely didn't like the dry spring.

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8999266

My season is a little borderline for Aleppo to ripen also, but I brought a couple of potted plants in for a bit last fall. Sorry your plants didn't fare better last year! Your seedlings had good variegation showing, so I have no clue why the adults didn't follow through, but I know weather variables can affect variegation on other plants. The peppers themselves don't have white, really, just lighter green or maybe cream stripes. I grew out some from the same seeds I sent you, and they came true, but it's good to know your experience with them. Maybe Fish Pepper just likes to grow near teh Chesapeake!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America