Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Today's progress

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8309224

We had real sun today, and temps of 57- Since we have been in a deep freeze for weeks, I dragged a bag of solidly frozen potting mix onto the deck to let the sun thaw it out. My milk jugs are all sliced and punched and ready- tomorrow I hope to fill the jugs- finally! This WS thing is SO exciting- I plan to also put a few of each in indoor pots under lights for comparing.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8309229

Let the sowing begin...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

January 24, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8327448

Hahaha...one of my promix bales was frozen to the garage floor. I left an electric blanket over it all day yesterday so I could pull it off without tearing the plastic.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8327904

Well, today I feel pretty smug- I just finished my 12 WS jugs, plus my indoor sowing for comparison (or backup). Here are my 12 milk jugs.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8327910

Here are my rope lights set up for my indoor containers

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8327914

And with the containers on the shelves- The tan color is sand that I covered some of the seeds with.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8333938

So--let me see if I have this right. The soil in all the jugs was pre moistened before I put the seeds in. The jugs are now taped closed, lids are off, and they are out on the deck where they get afternoon sun. Now- when do I need to check to see if they are getting dry? The soil is 3-4" deep, so when I water should it be from the bottom? Or since there will be no roots for awhile should water be sprinkled on the top? I want this to be successful! Our temps are hovering right above freezing now.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8334009

>>Now- when do I need to check to see if they are getting dry?

I usually start checking mine once they have 'thawed' and you haven't had rain or snow in a while. You can usually judge if they are dry by the weight of the container. [weather depending... end of Feb or into March for me.]

>>so when I water should it be from the bottom?

Some folks bottom water.

I find if you water [pour] thru the top, it creates a hole and moves the seeds around.
sometimes i water with a spray bottle or use my watering can from the house.

Bottom watering works well, but you need something to put them in [kiddy pool] or a large tub - if one has about 100 containers, that is a lot of work.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America