Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Age that Roos start fighting

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

January 14, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8310176

I have 6 Wheaton/ Blue Wheaton Ameraucuna chicks. They are 2 months old, and really pretty! I am sure that I have four roo's. I was waiting until they get a little older to give them away. But yesterday, two of them started to squabble. So, are they starting to get on each others nerves? Or is this the start of having roos together in the same coop?
Thanks!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8313273

At that age, they are just learning to be boys, and figuring out who is gonna be top dawg. When they are about 4 or 5 months and start getting major hormones, you'll know! LOL Teens.. They want to jump anything that moves.. or doesn't move. LOL I'd think you've got a while before the need to separate them..
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 17, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8315432

Hi Images: As usual ZZs hit the nail on the head. I always enjoyed watching the roosters spar when their young, much like watch pup, and cats at play. Sometimes the roos never need to be seperated as they grow up together and get along very well, with others that are more agressive, Usually around four months and they are ready to be seperated. Chickens, much like people are so individaul that it just isn't possible to predict the steps necessary to create the best invironment...Have fun...Haystack

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America