Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Computer Talk: computer messages or signs

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 32, Views: 347
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8311660

I get way too many messages from my computer: "There is not enough memory or disk space to run word". I have deleted many folders and documents and still I often get this message.
Another one, "The docuiment (name of document) casued a serious error the last time it was opened" Would you like to contiune opening it? I cleck yes, and it opens fine, have never had a serious error when opening a document. Another Often after I have closed a document and go back to it I also find another one of it with the first letter missing and a $ in front of it. I just delete it but would like to know what causes it. Another: "Word automatically saved changes to normal document template. Do you want to load it?" No I don't and just close it bu its anoying getting that so ofter. The last one I will show as a picture. Would like comments and suggestions on all of this.
Sparks

Thumbnail by Sparks42
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8311791

[quote="Sparks42"]I have deleted many folders and documents and still I often get this message.[/quote]
After you deleted them, did you empty the recycle bin? Otherwise, they're still taking up space on your hard drive. =)

I'm curious as to the specifics of the hardware on your system. Can you elaborate? If you don't know where to find this information, just say so. =)

Processor?
RAM?
Hard Drive?
Operating System?
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8312144

don't know if I am answering right. Processor: word: RAM ? : Hard Drive Dell: Operating system Windows XP
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8312310

You got the Operating System right. But, knowing that, the other answers are easy to find. =)
Do this:

Start ---> Run
In the box that pops up, type: dxdiag
Click "Ok"

A window will pop up, titled "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". You'll probably also get another window popping up, asking if you'd like it to check for WHQL drivers. Just click "Yes" to that question. It will take a few seconds for the window to finish loading. Once it does, you'll see several tabs across the top. First, we'll deal with the tab named "System".

In the "System Information" box, you'll find "Processor" and "Memory" (RAM). What does it say for each of those?

Now, click the "More Help" tab.
Once there, click the button that says "MSInfo..."

A new window will open, titled: "System Information"
On the left side (titled "Tree"), click the + next to "Components".
Click the + next to "Storage"
Click the folder named "Drives"

Now, on the right pane, look down until you see "Drive C:"
What is the value for "Size"?
What is the value for "Free Space"?

Are there any other drives listed (other than the one at the top, valued at "A:")?

Close the "System Information" window as you would any other window ("x" in the upper right corner)

Close the dxdiag tool by clicking the "Exit" button, once you have the above information.

Thanks, HTH =)

Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8313146

wow, Eggs, you sure know your computers. It took me a while to do it but here is what I found:
Processor: intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1014MB RAM

Size: 127.99 GB (137,426,010,112 bytes)
Free Space: 104.20 GB (111,882,649,600 bytes)

No Drive A, AT the top is Drive C then down below Size and, Free Space, we have Drive, D, E, F, G, H and K. All except C are removable disks.
Gene/Sparks
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8313433

Thanks, Sparks. That info was exactly what I was looking for. =)

After seeing your earlier pics with all of the toolbars, coupled with your post in this thread, I was concerned about a memory issue, but you have plenty of memory to do the tasks you wish on your computer. That being said, "space" is a MAJOR issue for you, and most likely the reason your machine is running "slowly". You have less than 20% available free space on your hard drive. That's really a problem, especially since a portion of that is used by windows as "virtual memory". There's just not enough there, and you'll need to free some up.

In an earlier thread you started, I pointed you to another thread to read. Now, I'll point you to a couple of specific posts in that thread. Go there and follow the instructions. If you don't understand any of them (I tried to spell it out as easy as I could), let me know and I'll walk you thru the steps.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5863048
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5869222

HTH and Good Luck! =)
Eggs
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8313721

I am sorry Eggs. I am bumbling around, so far haven't been able to find my Temporary Files. I am not giving up and will try again tomorrow. Thanks for all you help and I know I will need to come back to you.

Gene
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8313753

Do you see the "Local Settings" folder?
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8315149

Eggs, you got a real dumbbell here. I did not see "Local Settings Folder". I did open CCleaner, had removed temporary files with it. Did not know what else to check, have used Print screen to get a list of all that was on there, took 4 pictures. Maybe you can tell me which ones to clean or which ones to leave alone. I also went to "add or remove" and removed quite a few things then wondered if I removed some of the wrong ones, if so too late to change that but later I may a list of those I am not sure about and ask you wherther I should remove them. If you should finally get disgusted with me I wont blame you for just saying forget it.

I don't know how to put more than one picture at a time on here so you will get "ccleaner 1" here and will just have to put the others on in separate messages/

Thumbnail by Sparks42

Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8315152

Just sending "ccleaner 2"

Thumbnail by Sparks42

Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8315155

Sending "ccleaner 3"

Thumbnail by Sparks42

Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8315158

The last one "ccleaner 4"

Thumbnail by Sparks42

Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8315336

[quote="Sparks42"]I did not see "Local Settings Folder"[/quote]

Then, you missed the following, in the link I provided...

[quote]If the "Local Settings" folder isn't visible in Windows Explorer or My Computer, do:

Tools --> Folder Options
View tab
Under "Hidden files and folders" check: "Show hidden files and folders"
Click OK[/quote]
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8317048

Eggs
it looks like she has 104.2GB free out or 127.99GB which is 80% free

[quote]Sparks42 wrote:
Size: 127.99 GB (137,426,010,112 bytes)
Free Space: 104.20 GB (111,882,649,600 bytes)

Gene/Sparks[/quote]

Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8317275

Don't give up on me completely. I have found the hidden files and put a dot in :"show hidden files" but then can't get it to open.

Thumbnail by Sparks42

Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8317648

Doh. Thanks, Strever. I musta had my glasses on backwards. =)

[quote="Sparks42"]Don't give up on me completely.[/quote]

Won't give up on ya, at all. =)

When you say "it won't open", can you be more specific? Are you saying that the folder won't open? Or, do you still not see it?
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8317691

The picture shows what I found which is the hidden files but it wouldn't open.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8317714

Sparks -- now that the radio button for "show hidden files" is checked... go back to where you were before, up in Eggs directions... and the folders you did not see before, should be there.

>>Sparks42 wrote: I did not see "Local Settings Folder"

______

I have to admit... i've been following this thread for a day or two and i'm glad to see you have not given up. I see so many that pretty much throw their hands up and not try to figure it out. Good for YOU.

Terese
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8317807

You may have forgotten to click 'Apply' after you selected 'Show hidden files'.

Not to butt into this thread but you do not have enough ram to run XP with MS Office programs at the normal speeds. Too much writing & reading from the HD virtual memory. 2 gig is the minimum for decent operations and 3 or 4 is better although my Dell will not use all the 4 gig due to memory address restrictions.

You can help yourself greatly by exiting and closing ALL programs except the one you are using. Running programs in the background really chokes a marginal system.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8319777

These are just two links of many available on the memory problem. As Eggs has said on this and many other threads, clean out all the unnecessary files and folders, not forgetting to dump the trash basket. You can accumulate thousands of temp windows and internet files in a short time.

The listed "minimum ram requirements" for various OS's are the minimum to run the OS, not the programs on the pc. XP needs 2 gig and Vista needs either 3 or 4 gig or, in some cases, a good video card with a lot of on-board ram with 256 to 512 meg or even 1 gig.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-5554402-1.html

edited for bad microsoft link. you can 'google' windows xp low memory problems and find a good microsoft site.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2011 10:01 PM
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8322116

I feel the following is my problem, I hope somebody knows what it is.

Every now and then I have to reboot because I am told of low memory. Often, are the Welcome Sign, I get the follwing in the upper left hand corner of my screen.
Personalized Settings
Setting up personalized settings for:
RunDLL32IEDKCS32DLL, BrandIE4 SIGNUP

will also show the picture I mangaged to take of it.

Thumbnail by Sparks42

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8322191

Some one else may have seen this message but it appears to be a bad apple. IE4 has been obsolete for years. IE8 is the current version. A good AV suite should have caught this. There have been some discussions of a fake Active-X download which is a carrier for spyware. I would not open or follow any instructions of this type.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8322231

Sparks, did you find and delete all the temp files?
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8323231

Turns out that "brandie4 signup" is not a trojan. Microsoft support explains it but, after having installed XP and Vista close to a dozen times, it makes no sense to me. Someone else may have dealt with it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305604
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8329363

Rose, they didn't make any sense to me. Eggs, I went to my accesories, and found a way there to get rid of Temp files but it didn't do much. You two, I appreciate so much what you have tried to do but I am about to throw in the towel.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8329676

Not knowing anything of your setup, I recommend you log onto the Microsoft.com download site and do a download/install of IE-8 for XP. It will either clear your problem or not. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8329927

[quote="Sparks42"]I went to my accesories, and found a way there to get rid of Temp files but it didn't do much.[/quote]

And, after doing so, did you empty your Recycle Bin (to permanently delete the temps), and then Defrag? What about the next steps on that link I gave you? Have you done those yet?
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8332327

I may be totally wrong but any time I got an older machine and it was "forgetting" things, like personal settings, disk space, time and date, I would check the CMOS battery.

I assume you have a tower and the way to check would be unplug the machine overnite. In the morn plug it back in and start it up. Is it worse? Is the time and date correct? If everything is the same the battery is OK.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8335290

Rose, they now only show the 9 and you have to have windows 7 to use it. Have been thinking about going to 7 but would like opions about Windows 7/

I may try unplugging my computer and see what happens in the morning.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8335408

First of all, IE-9 is a "beta issue" which means it is in the testing phase and not officially released for final use. IE-8 is available. Go to:

Microsoft.com

Windows downloads

Internet explorer 8

Select 'country' and 'XP' for OS follow the instructions for downloading. I prefer to 'save' to a cd and install from it.

As far as Windows 7 is concerned, everyone has their own budget considerations and money is money. Windows 7 'Home premium' goes for $200 for the full version; upgrades are over a hundred. I just saw a new Dell complete desktop set, with Windows 7 for about $600. 4 gig of ram and 500 gig hd. Not certain of the processor but it may have been a 3.0 gig model. The only downside is it did not have MS Office which used to come with most Dell pc's. If you have 2003 or 2007 you should get by ok. Most of the junk software coming with a pc is a trial, timed version so you would need to replace it anyway.

My Dell is an '07 model and I am waiting for it to croak so I can get 7 for nothing.

edited for incorrect price of full version.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2011 4:32 PM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8335714

My Dell Dimension 8400 is from July '04
and it's still tickin'

only had to replace the RAM that one summer... .added an additional hard drive --

other than that - it's been great.

and i know i've read somewhere that to run XP 'well' you should have 1gb RAM.
we honestly have a PC in our Wisc Clubhouse that had 256!! the thing actually runs on that.
hard to believe it was put together with only 256mb.

we [our park] purchased it off of a member - long story, but if she wasn't such a good friend, we would not have taken that boat anchor off her hands... BUT XP will run on less than a gig of RAM. it's slower than molasses in the winter, but it's good enough for internet.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8335788

The ram issue really comes into play with video involved. A good plug-in video card with it's own ram, commonly up to 1 gig, makes a world of difference when dealing with scrolling thru pictures. I also use mine primarily for internet text and some of the old youtube music and just can't justify keeping up with the newer, more expensive models.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8335797

gotcha. video has never been an issue with me. i dont spend a lot of time on that. DH does though. but makes sense.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America