Have an opinion on the new Tamron lens? Tamron vs Canon

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

They just came out with a very lightweight lens. It would be my walk around lens, in fact as of now my only lens since I broke my current one.

Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with Built in Motor

I have a Canon T2i.

Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD is the world’s most compact, lightweight lens with a 15x zoom ratio, featuring a 62mm filter diameter, VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilization and Tamron’s first standing wave ultrasonic motor system for SLR lenses, PZD (Piezo Drive).

Thumbnail by Kell
Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've always have stayed away from Tamron because of quality control issues, if you get a good copy then they're great for the money. 18-270 is a big range hence the F/ 6.3 f-stop, 6.3 is hard to shoot in the afternoon. From the reviews I've read from their other lenses they also have a problem with dependability.

- I'd rather spend the extra bucks and get something that I can depend on with a better f-stop for 270, in your case Canon, in mine Nikon, I'd pick Tokina as a runner-up. Personally, If I want to be VERY particular about sharpness then I use my primes.

* In any case I hope you get a good copy ☺

Thanks for your help Watercan! I couldn't wait! Amazon was down to 2 left and no one else has it yet as they just came out at the end of December. I am in need of my camera soon.

The 2 personal reviews looked good. Gee, I hope it is! I really wanted this one because it is so light weight. Even with my small Canon lens, my neck can ache after awhile.

Plus I only want to carry 1 lens. Supposedly this one is a macro and has a big zoom all in one. I hope it is not all too good to be true. I am not sure how the macro works since it says minimum focus distance 0.49m (19.3 in). I am hoping this means I just do not have to bend over so close as I did before but can zoom in standing for a close up.

Will the lens hood help when taking afternoon photos? What you say worries me because that is when I take most of my photos! LOL

My Canon T2i came with a cheap lens that I did like. 18-55m. I just wanted one that had a better long range and a better macro would be nice too. Somehow I broke my lens. I was afraid I had broken the camera too but today I went and tried a different lens on it and it worked. My lens would not auto focus, you can hear the motor straining but the lens does not move and the photo is blurry. Now I am wondering if I broke it by having it on AF but then manually focusing it. Is that a big no no?

As you can tell I have no clue! LOL

Having AF on when manually focusing could strip the gears in the lens, (which nowadays are made of nylon/ plastic). There are lenses which allow you to manually focus while AF is engaged, but I haven't seen too many of them and it's an unusual trait. Best not to develop that habit because as your collection grows you'll have different types of lenses - some will allow you to and some won't, so it can get confusing - and expensive..

- The Tamron 18-270 lens retains the 0.5m throughout the zoom range which is nice. It closes down to 6.3 at 200mm which is where you may start to have problems with AF searching for a lock-on if there is not enough light. I have a 500 f/6.3 which does the same thing, sometimes I have to lock on to an object which is 'about' the same distance as my subject but has higher contrast, then swing over to my target and cross my fingers. I usually use it at F/11 for that reason. It gives me a little leeway with the focus.

- I always use a lens hood, I have them for all my lenses. If it doesn't come standard with the lens I buy it separately when I buy the lens, I consider it as essential as a UV filter. It's amazing how much stray light a lens can pick up, especially in the 18-35mm range. I haven't found it to help increase light, but it has enabled me to get angles I otherwise would have trouble with lens flare. I'm convinced it helps with contrast and color saturation too.

- It sounds like a nice walk around lens, light weight too. I wouldn't use it for a once in a lifetime opportunity like the Great Wall of China or the Sphinx in Egypt, but it's nice for everyday casual use. ☺

Edit: (put spaces between the paragraphs)

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 11:41 AM

Well then I am in luck for the Great Wall if China is not in my future! LOL This lens I will put on MF and see how it works for me. I will let you know how it does.

I have been reading a lot on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2. Not cheap esp when you buy all the lens it will soon have. Anyone familiar with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 which has been out a year? I think I want the G2 which you cannot find just yet. I was going to get the Canon S95 to replace my Canon S90 I put in my pocket that was full of mini seeds and it has not worked the same since. I tell you from now on I am buying that replace your camera no matter what you did to it insurance. I just need to sell a few more photos this week and I can afford it!

Last night I was reading about the Sony Nex which seemed not to be as good and also the Olympus E-P1. I do not know if Olympus has come out with a newer one. I love the direction these are going. I have trouble carrying a heavy camera etc all day out and about.

Anyone have any of these 3? I

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Olympus has an E-P2. It also has the E-PL1, and is just releasing the E-PL2. I've pre-ordered the E-PL2, although I was originally interested in the GF1.

After much back and forth, I decided on the E-PL2 due to the in-body image stabilization (vs panasonic's lens stabilization) and the supposedly better jpeg color (I am not going to be shooting raw). Micro 4/3 lenses work on all micro 4/3 cameras, so you can use panasonic lenses on olympus cameras and vice versa. In fact, I ordered a panasonic 20mm f1.7 which olympus E-Px users rave about, especially for low light situations.

Each camera of course has different features and strengths and weaknesses, so for me it really came down to what I features I wanted the most. Here is a thread discussing some of the differences between the GF1 and the E-PL1. The fact that the E-PL2 has some of the "desirable GF1 features" that the last post mentions, such as a dial to control settings instead of just buttons, and a bigger LCD screen, sealed the deal for me. It also comes with a new and improved the kit lens.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=37278978&page=1

I briefly looked into the Sony Nex, but the lenses get poor reviews, and there are so few to choose from...

Best of luck with your decision!

That is so exciting! You have to let us know how you like it when you finally get it.

I see the EP2 is not cheap, as much as I paid for my Ti2! I have such trouble making decisions about cameras. And the fact they keep coming out so quickly with new models makes it even harder. So Canon and Nikon have not moved into this new type of camera?

In one review I was reading they made shooting raw sound so good with such better quality photos resulting. Made me want to try it. What makes you sound so adament you won''t shoot raw? I so need an in house camera teacher.

So if you buy the camera thru Amazon, they do not offer the extended warranty policy that Best Buy does where they will replace it or fix it even if you are negligently culpable for whatever damage the camera has sustained?

Today I get my new lens. I hope it gets here early so I can go out and try it. And I pray my camera works well. I am still unclear how I broke it before and exactly what was/is broken.

That is awesome you get your new lens today. I hope your camera is working well again!

Yes, the EP2 is pretty pricey. There are rumors that an EP3 is coming out this spring, and of course, that will be even more expensive. However, I'm guessing it will drive down the price of the EP2, so that is something. I've also seen rumors that Nikon moving into making these types of cameras, and Pentax has publicly stated that it hasn't ruled it out either. I definitely agree that it is quite challenging picking a camera amid all these quick and exciting developments, and I'm really hoping I choose the "right" one for me at this time.

I didn't see an extended warranty option for the EPL2 through Amazon's pre-order. That is definitely something to consider.

I actually do want to try shooting raw and messing around with post processing, but decided that I don't want it to be a "requirement" for getting good color, especially since I like to take a lot of pics of plants and landscapes. I am coming from a point and shoot only background, so if you find that in-house camera teacher, let me know ;-).

edited to make EP2 into EPL2

This message was edited Jan 21, 2011 9:58 AM

I need that in house camera guy right now! LOL

I got my new lens. Too late to do anything but a run around my yard. We are off to San Francisco soon so no time.

First impressions

1. It was not factory sealed. it obviously had been opened, maybe used. The thin bag around the lens itself had a rip. I paid $650 for this so I am no happy. I got it from Amazon. And sadly, I am not even sure I could tell if it was defective or not. Do I return it?

2. It s heavy. Shoot if this is the lightest, I am in trouble. LOL. I can handle it but it is heavy.

3. It is so quiet compared to my other Canon lens I am wondering if it is doing what it is suppose to do. LOL

4, My shots are not that sharp but I have found with all my cameras it takes awhile for them to get broken in or perhaps time for me to get broken in. I remember when I first got my Canon T2i I was sure it was defective my shots were so bad.

Flowers around my yard, Slim pickings in January.

A vireya. bad and this was the best out of 10 shots

Thumbnail by Kell

A Lachenalia viridiflora
OK Color

Thumbnail by Kell

My clivia seed pods way over ripe and I need to open and plant ASAP. Great color, good sharpness.

Thumbnail by Kell

Clivia leaf sucks. All the shots of this plant did.

Thumbnail by Kell

Haemanthus deformis Losing its old leaves and new ones coming.

Thumbnail by Kell

If you're not happy with it return it as soon as possible. For macro or close-up work with a DSLR you just can't beat a dedicated macro lens. Usually a 90 to 150mm F/ 2.8 prime lens will give you good distance & quality. Like I said in my first post, Tamron is not a manufacturer I would buy from, they just don't make the quality I've come to expect. Moreover, I shy away from those 'super lenses'.
Six hundred and fifty dollars is a lot for a used lens with an F/6.3 f-stop at 200mm...

Good luck, - whatever your decision. ☺

- Ps
A bino/ cam harness can be used instead of a standard camera strap to alleviate neck strain.

see:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HN5GS0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00200BVXS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M16SH57Z1WNN6AW8T7G

I will have to look up a cam harness. Thanks

My problem is I do not want more than 1 lens. I go out walking all day on my trips and I just do not want to be carrying anything more than my camera. It would ruin my day. So I am hoping this lens will be a great general lens. We will see!

I hope you or the lens get broken in (however it works), and this is a workable solution for you. I have the same issue with cameras...I've really wanted a dslr for a long time, but I'm very, very petite and tend to go out and hike with my camera for hours on end. I put my boyfriend's pentax around my neck, and I knew within minutes that this is just not a doable thing for me.

I'm drooling over your Lachenalia viridiflora, btw. ;-)

I really do not know how some people do it. I see people all the time, especially at Filoli, with a tripod and a huge bag and big camera with a huge lens hanging down from it. Just setting up for a shot takes them forever! I am not patient enough.

Even though I am big and fat, I can't carry one around my neck either. I hurt my neck a few years back and this year it has been acting up. Plus my back complains if I carry too much. I do not even carry a handbag. I have not owned one for years.

I am so interested in these new cameras. I wonder how big the lens are that come with them. They look small. If so then maybe carrying a couple would not be such a burden to do. I so hope they are a viable alternative to DSLRs. Make sure you come back and let us all know how your camera is doing!

I decided tonight I am not in a hurry for a small one. I mostly want a small camera for my food shots to take to restaurants. I was just looking at my shots from tonight and they are pretty good. I think the mini seeds are slowly coming out of it. LOL. And then what did I do yesterday, stuff my pocket full of seeds from a garden I was visiting and then stuck my camera in the same pocket. Thankfully these were big seeds!

Here is a shot from tonight's dinner with my Canon S90. Already to post to my oyster set. LOL. I have a thing about taking pics of oysters I eat.

Thumbnail by Kell

PS
I collect Lachenalia. I get them usually from Berkeley Bot but even there they run about $5 to $7 a bulb. A few months ago a guy had about 20 bulbs on eBay with no picture. I knew what they were. I got them for I think $12. So I have a nice little pot of them in bloom right now. Spring is starting here already. Oh LOL, you live in San Jose so you know! No one else bid. I see right now there are 3 bulbs on eBay with great photos and the bids are up to $26. I bet they go for much more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110637809692&category=25463&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Did you see the weather forecast for the next 5 days? All sun across the page, not one cloud!

Another oyster that met its fate tonight.

Thumbnail by Kell

Your oysters look great!

Yes, it's supposed to be warm, warm, warm. I can't believe it! It's glorious, but I've already got seasonal allergies kicking in today. I spent the day pruning, weeding, and sneezing. How many different Lachenalia do you have?

I'll definitely give an update when my new camera gets here. The 20 mm lens arrived, and now I'm impatiently waiting on the camera.

I think a lot of the micro 4/3 lenses are pretty small; the 20mm pancake I bought appears to be about an inch long, and a lot of people seem to adore it and use it as their primary lens. Here's the camera I bought, along with the kit lens. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page4.asp

Here's the 20 mm with specs: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/panasonic_20_1p7_o20/page2.asp

How is your new lens working out for you? Have you taken any more pics?

Not enough lachenalia for sure! LOL. Maybe 7 kinds but there are some I really want that I cannot find. Though I have not looked as hard as I should. I got hooked when every year in early spring I would visit a friend and she had a huge pot of Lachenalia aloides quadricolor. It took a few years to even find out what they were. I need to go over there now for mine are in bloom and I bet hers are too. Her pot is really a happy pot.

No new pics. I took a run to Hog Island on Tomales Bay yesterday for live dungeness. I got 3 dozen oysters too. WOW, the crab was so sweet and so good. Makes such a difference if you eat them so soon after they are caught. But the trip took about 5 hours so I did not get much else done. It was a beautiful drive though. The oysters were superb as usual. We downed the mini Kumamoto in a flash. I should have bought many more of those. The Sweetwaters were good too. Tonight my husband will make fried oysters with those left. Sinfully good using so fresh oysters. Though if I get enough sleep I will spend the day off on a photo adventure and we will see! Though I need to do what you did and work on my yard. I pruned 2 roses the other day and only have about 60 to go.

I can't wait to see what your new camera will do. If you love it, I am so there too! LOL I was so lazy yesterday the few pics I did take I used my little Canon. So much easier to walk around Point Reyes with that one. Oh have you noticed California natives are in full bloom so early? I saw beautiful acacias and huge Coast Silk Tassel plants in full glory.

Lachenalia aloides quadricolor welcomes spring with a such pizzazz!

Thumbnail by Kell
Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

NIce pics, Kell.
I have a recommendation for you...
I love my Crumpler
http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-The-Industry-Disgrace-Black/dp/B001K2GRYA

I hated those standard neck straps that come with the camera.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNSpnXaLoEg
A review you can watch.
:)

And watch it I did! I am going to order it! THANKS Mr. Kin! So what camera do you love?

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

You won't be disappointed.
I still have my Canon Rebel Xsi and my favorite lens is Canon Zoom lens - 28 mm - 135 mm - F/3.5-5.6 - Canon EF.

I stuck with my Xsi...it took me a year just to get somewhat talented at using it! LOL

I see your in the spotlight.
UBER Kell...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/hof.php

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 6:05 AM

If my lens so sucks today, I may just get your favorite then. Do you use it for macros too?

Thats me, spotlight Kell. LOL

Oh how I hate waking up in the middle of the night and then ending up on the computer playing with my pictures. Before I know it it is morning and I am too tired to do much all day. I was just processing leucadendron shots. Flowers are endlessly entertaining.

Thumbnail by Kell
Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

They certainly are a beautiful flower and a wonderful photo you have taken. I'm getting close to my bedtime too. It's another gloomy day here so no biggie for me! LOL

I do use it for close ups but one thing you may not like about this lens is that it has lens creep. When your pointing your camera down the lens can slowly extend to 135mm. This can be corrected by placing large wide rubber band to hold it in place if your taking a series of close up pics if you want.
http://digitalphotographyblogs.com/2008/07/22/lens-creep-what-it-is-and-one-way-to-stop-it/

If this all sounds foreign to ya this link will help explain it.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I was trying to find a close up shot for ya to view but my head and eyes are getting tired.
Here is a shot for you

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Another one

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin

Now you've got me craving crab. Mmmmm......

That Lachenalia aloides quadricolor is beautiful, and what a great pic! I'm not going to research more, because the last thing I need is another plant obsession. Wow, it sounds like you have an amazing rose collection as well! I have a tiny townhouse yard packed full of plants to the point where my boyfriend complains that there's no place to sit down (the cement patio is now mostly under the above-ground pond).

Here is a pretty good review of the camera I'm getting. One of the things I like about it is it discusses the micro 4/3 cameras in general, the lenses, and also compares them to DSLRs. This might give you a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of these cameras. http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2011/01/olympus-epl2-final-installment-kirks.html

Kin, thanks for the info on the Crumpler. I'm going to show it to my boyfriend, who is trying to decide what kind of strap he'd like.

The crab was so good, Sunnyg! So sweet. It just does not compare to the live crab you can buy from grocery stores. I really think the flavor changes after being starved a few days. Then tonight I saw it for half the price at Berkeley Bowl, fresh line caught from Berkeley. Shoot. I will have to get some this weekend if they get more fresh caught. Plus I got a skein of fresh salmon eggs that my husband will process for Ikura. At Christmas time I searched for this to no avail. Are you a fish eater? The oysters from Hog Island were so good too. Gone in a flash.

I do not blame you for going slow on the lachenalia. Though great for a small yard for they are so small. But I went from the love of the Lachenalia aloides quadricolor to a need for all kinds of lachenalia and then I jumped into the South African bulbs. The good is they are no work since they do not like summer water, so love our climate. But they are spendy bulbs.

OK, I have decided either I suck or my Tamron lens sucks. Still not a good photo. Woe is me. It has so many great features.

So I am now reading about all the Canon lens I just finished reading the praises of the Canon EF-S Zoom lens - 17 mm - 55 mm - F/2.8 - Canon EF-S but everyone says how heavy it is. Also some say poor quality control was done on them so some great and some not so great. What worries me is that they are so old. I hate to spend so much money and have them come out with a brand new and better one within a year.

Next up is Kin's lens for a read, the Canon Zoom lens - 28 mm - 135 mm - F/3.5-5.6 - Canon E. I want a really good walk around lens that does great macros but also will do landscapes too. Any ideas?

Ask me if I have gone nuts! LOL I have been reading reviews for hours and hours!

I am tending now toward the
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens 20.3 oz (575g) 3.2 x 3.4" (81.6 x 87.5mm) 72mm 2009

Mainly because is is a later model. I can't see buying one much older than that.

I also was looking at Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens 22.8 oz (645g) 3.3 x 4.4" (83.5 x 110.6mm) 77mm 2006 seriouly but it is from 2006. It really has rave reviews. How often do they put out improvement models on these? I do not want to spend over $1000 and then have them put out a better version of the same lens.

I was thinking the 15-85mm will give me a bit more zoom and closer macros. Is this thinking right?

Kin, I looked at yours which would be my 3rd pick but the1998 date is so long ago. I was surprised it had IS. I wonder if that date is typo.
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens 19.1 oz (540g) 3.1 x 3.8" (78 x 97mm) 72mm 1998

HELP!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

100mm macro, the new 2.8 is pricey
sure makes taking close ups much easier from afar
and the 100mm will take decent landscapes

i have a Nikon D100 with 1/2 doz lens and like the 100mm macro the best
& i have a Canon Eos that i keep a zoom on
BUT
i take most of my images with a Canon powershot sx130 point & shoot
because it fits in my pocket

Dick

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Kell,

I have the 28-135 which is a pretty good all around lens. I use it the most now since my 17-85 went on the fritz (can't communicate with camera). The 28-135 does slip (not a significant slip but a slip nonetheless) when pointed straight down which can be annoying so I must hold it where I want it for composition.

I preferred the 17-85 since that extra width makes for great landscape shots. Cleaning the contacts with alcohol and a cotton swab allows the camera to communicate with the lens for a few shots and then it quits communicating again. One day I need to send it off to get it cleaned.

Zooms aren't true macro lens but do a decent close up which can be cropped afterwards to enlarge the subject as you wanted.

I have the Canon 100 macro 2.8 (as well plus a non-Canon 50 macro). Great lens for macro and short telephoto but prime lens means you have to move your feet to get the right composition (hard to use 100mm indoors to frame the entire plant without backing up a distance of several feet - wide angle is much better for these photo ops).

From what I have read the all in one lens are great for travel (10x zoom for a DSLR - what's not to love about it). As for Tamron, the reviews give it high marks but quality inspection might let a lemon through so you should test the lens thoroughly in case you have to send it back for another one. A friend of mine has a Nikon and bought the Tamron all in one lens and was disappointed in it so he got the Nikon lens after that and is very happy with it. It boils down to money and if a super zoom is right for your needs.

As for age of the lens design, you can wait and hope a new one comes out (which typically costs a lot more than the older design) or bite the bullet and buy what is available today. New camera bodies come out every few months but the lens line up doesn't change that rapidly.

Mmmm...I do love seafood, and good crab is one of my favs!

Sorry to hear of your continuing lens woes....it sounds like you are thinking of returning it?

I am very excited to report that my EPL2 should arrive on February 2nd, as long as the weather back east doesn't hold it up. Amazon wasn't going to ship until early March, so I got it through another distributor (we're thinking of going to Yosemite in February, and I really want to use my new camera there).

That is so exciting, Sunnyg! And lucky you going to Yosemite. I am ashamed to admit we have never gone! Sinful! Every few years we say we are going then promptly forget. You will have to let us know all about it and post pics with your new camera!

Dick, that is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM? If I decide I can't live without a macro, that one looks great. I had to laugh when you said you use your point and shoot most. I bet I end up doing that too esp after I buy one like SunnyG is getting, a micro four thirds. I am fast approaching 60 and my moving parts are not moving as they could even just a year ago. I went for years with a tiny Canon and loved the freedom. I am not sure how I got suckered into the Canon T2i, I fought against it for sure.

Well Butch, I went for the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Though just now looking at Amazon again they title theirs as Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM UD Wide Angle Zoom Lens. Shoot, did I buy the wrong one? What does UD stand for? I just looked at my box and it only says USM. Too funny if I got the wrong one.

I paid way too much at Best Buy which is never the best buy I find. More than Amazon! But easy costs money. $799 plus I paid an extra $139 for 3 years of fix or replace even if I scratch the lens or break it. Since I already broke my kit lens, I figure it is inevitable I do something horrible to this one too. And they got me with California tax too. So much cheaper on Amazon. But oh well. And I get 30 days to return. I also bought a cheap lens UV filter. Does it matter which I buy for that? Or does cheap do as well as expensive?

I need to get a hood cover on Amazon. Also I thought I would get another 32 GB card. I hope this lens will take good video inside for I am going to a big anniversary party and want to video it. A new adventure. Plus I need to get either Watercan's A bino/ cam harness or Kin's Crumpler. Then I should be set! So please pray tomorrow when I try this new lens, I take the best photos of my life.

SunnyG, my husband cleaned and marinated the salmon eggs and made fresh ikura. Oh so yum! When I just got home he served it with a nice glass of wine. If you are into this type food, you should try making it. It really is good. Here is a recipe and great photos. Can be hard to find a skein of fresh eggs though. http://blue_moon.typepad.com/blue_lotus/2007/09/post-6.html

Thumbnail by Kell

On a side note, spring is already here in Northern California. The weather has just been so beautiful for a couple of weeks now. Today it felt like summer! I listento the East coast weather news and am so glad I am here instead of my birthplace.

I went by my favorite early spring sight, a huge acacia and it did not disappoint. It was in full glory! What a sight. And hardly anyone else that went by it even looked at it.

Thumbnail by Kell
Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Kell :
I went by my favorite early spring sight, a huge acacia and it did not disappoint. It was in full glory! What a sight. And hardly anyone else that went by it even looked at it.

Enjoyed reading the info you've posted.

Which of your cameras did you use for the acacia photo?

Thanks.

I took it with my old Sony DSC-H50. It is a great camera esp for capturing good color. I notice it will pick up blue in the sky when my other cameras bleach it out.

I was just talking to a friend on Facebook about a photo I took in 2008. She wanted to know what macro lens I used. I had to laugh, it was taken with my old Canon Powershot SD950IS. I have been looking at a lot of my old 2008 pics and am wondering why I bothered with lugging around a big heavy camera like the T2i when a little point and shoot took such great shots. No fuss no muss, just point and click on auto and then you stick it back in your pocket and walk on..

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell, you really have to make a trip to Yosemite! It's so well worth it! I've been in Spring/Summer, but never in Winter before. We are hoping to catch a peek (and a few pics) of the "fire waterfall" phenomenon at Horsetail Falls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsetail_Fall_%28Yosemite%29

My new camera is now scheduled to arrive on the 4th instead of the 2nd. I'm just really hoping to get it in time to do something fun with it on my birthday (the 5th). We shall see.

That is an awesome shot you took with your Powershot. There really is something great about being able to just grab your camera and stick it in your pocket...

That acacia is a beauty, but given how miserable they make me, (allergies) I think I appreciate them more through pics than in person. I've seen the plums etc begin blooming around here as well.

How is the new lens working out?

This message was edited Jan 30, 2011 8:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images