Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Looking for a new router

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 12, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8313782

MY current router is about 7 yrs old. It's a D-link, which has been very good to me over the yrs... but i think it's on the fritz.
sometimes someone cant get connected, dropped connections ... so i've started looking for new ones,

Last month i purchased a new Laser printer, and in the instructions for wireless set up, it mentions an AOSS button on a router - which it seems only Buffalo has.

I've looked at various Buffalo routers with many good reviews... BUT when you look at the 1stars, or 1eggs ... you start to lean in the other direction.

So, while on Newegg, i set the filter to Top Reviews ... and again, a lot of great looking routers, but again, each one that is highly rated, there are a low percentage of 1egg reviews.

Is it just a crap shoot when you get one to set up correctly?

I want a Dual Band, N, and 300Mbsp would be nice.

Some have USB ports -- do i really need that? The Buffalo has one where you can connect an external HDD for file sharing - but i've read a few reviews that the set up is a PITA or doesnt work.

I'm just getting confused. I'd like to stay in the 'under $100 ' price range... but if it 's a great unit - I wouldnt mind going to under $150
as if it last 10 yrs, it will be a good deal.

all those bad reviews are just so hard to over look.

any input??

Terese

**edited for typos

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 3:36 PM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8313900

I think I found one that i like.

I've never had Netgear 'anything' but this one looks promising...

only thing it does not have is gigabit ethernet ports -- but i dont think that is a necessity

dont have them now, and we are mostly wireless now anyways.

I have my tower and i have an extra ethernet cable hooked up at my desk for a laptop if i want to be hardwired.

this one has an on/off switch and a 'wifi on/off' switch. I like both of those options.

and 80bucks. it's the WNDR3400 N600

any input ??
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8313903

I ditched D-Link years ago for Netgear and haven't looked back. I have both a router and range extender by them, and neither has given me any problems at all. If you can't afford Cisco, then Netgear is the way to go, IMO. =)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8313950

thanks Eggs.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8313953

oh, what sort of a difference [on my tower] would a "gigabit" make? the price jump is about 50 bucks.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8313981

Beats the heck outta me. I have a 16mb pipe, and get all the speed I'm paying for. I also can't see any need for more throughput. =)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8313986

I always think to myself... how fast is fast, and how much fast can it get? we have hi-speed 'cable' internet.
my laptop has an "n" card... i think it's good and fast at home. [over the summer it can get really slow because we are on a 'dish'. ] even hardwired it's slow.

so -- i guess i dont need gigbit.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8314978

I did order the N600 netgear... should be here in a few days. hopefully set up will be a breeze.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8320221

Set up was a breeze -- would have been seamless if i would have labeled the cables before reconnecting them, as they all were in the wrong order. Probably would have been less than 10 min setup otherwise. Very happy with my purchase.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8320265

=)
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8329803

I bought the Netgear router/modem last year and found it much nicer to have the combo modem/router in one unit - at least this way I only have to power it down if necessary instead of a router and a modem and have one less AC adapter and one less cable (between modem and router), and less desk clutter. Set up was very easy. Thank goodness that AT&T DSL required no calls for set up - just plug it in and let the software determine most of the settings. It is a shame Comcast requires you call them in order to put your new MAC address of the modem in their database to connect.

As for the extra speed, it is only good for two or more computers on the same LAN moving files or massive data between each other and even that will be bottle-necked by the hard disks. Maybe you can back up pictures a bit faster but how much faster? As for accessing the web it makes no difference since the bottle neck is your ISP.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8329835

since i have phone, cable and TV thru Comcast...i 'have' to use their modem which they very kindly charge me a monthly fee for...
I dont recall Comcast having to come up to do anything... we set it up ourselves [Ok, i did] it was pretty easy. But having 1 box instead of 2 would be nice.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8329922

That's because you still have their modem which has the MAC address that is in their database that allows you to access the web! Go and change it out for a combo router/modem and I bet it won't work without a phone call to them (unless they changed in the last year) and then good luck on getting them to act on the first phone call!

Talk about fun! I put a new Motorola Surfboard router/modem (from Best Buy) in on New Year's Eve '09 for my BIL in Nashville, TN. Kept having to call Comcast and getting the royal runaround. Even with a contract in hand with all the right verbiage (or garbage) they kept pushing me off to another department saying you must pay to get on. Gee whiz - what good was the paper contract for? Finally after getting their databases in line with the written contract I had to call again to get them to enter the NEW MAC address (they still had his old MAC address when he was a customer with them five years before! Why he wanted to go back to cable vs. DSL was beyond me after this runaround) No matter who I talked to they couldn't get it through their thick skulls that the new equipment had a new MAC address. Finally after another 30 minutes or longer someone actually listened and put in the new address. Five minutes later we were surfing away happy as pigs in mud!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America