Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 211, Views: 1,513
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 16, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8314317

Hi all, thought we needed a new start for the new year. A bit late I know
I hope all in Queensland will settle down. Our thoughts go out to all the gardeners who have lost all their hard work and plants, (and I know thats the least of their worries) but I'm sure they will be able to start again, with a few donations from here and there. Maybe in couple of months when people are starting to get back into their homes, we can have a think about helping with cuttings and pups e.t.c. What do you think?
Once again, Vriesea 'Kiwi Dusk'. Its a favourite of mine, and continues to change colour and patterns as it grows.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 16, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8314326

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1142779/
we came from here
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 16, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8314491

Sue, Kiwi Dusk is a lovely brom to have on the "cover" of the new thread.

Mould is already a big problem in my house from all the rains. It is everywhere. I know so many people trying to do different things to help the flood victims, each in their own way. I wonder though how much really helps? I know they need their homes livable again, and emergency supplies for now. I have donated, and probably will donate more, but does the money go to those who need it most or do many get left out? I know in the 1974 floods, we were overlooked and not thought of as victims, as we were away at the time, but we still lost everything we owned in those floods. Those are the people I am thinking of, those who have slipped by the wayside.

Also, if we could spare a prayer for those flooded in other parts of the world, such as Brazil, who don't have the emergency and follow up care that we can expect here. I read that the loss of life in Brazil reached into the 600's this morning.

I would be happy to share any bits and pieces of broms and any other plants with anyone whose gardens have to be rebuilt. The floods are so extensive now and we can only hope and pray none of us here are affected.

Karen

This message was edited Jan 16, 2011 10:58 PM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 17, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8316340

weedwoman- this one? its called V. 'White bands' F2, i don't know anything about there names though. My broms are pretty coloured as there in neally full sun all day even though some do need more shade.
gardengal- i dunk my potted plants in water to rid the ants sometimes, just for 20-30mins and just the pot and soil, not the plant.
Floods gone now!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 12:30 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy

perke_patch

January 18, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8316634

Hi to all.
Bree I like the white bands and Sue I love Kiwi Dusk. We have a lovely Kiwi Cream, Kiwi Sunset and Kiwi Dusk all looking lovely at the moment. Must get some recent photos of them though.

Can anyone explain the F2 part of names? I think it means that the seed has been pollinated by itself and then collected and grown. Is this when you have a couple of little coloured flowers in the one infloresence and you pollinate from one flower to the next and back etc then mark those flowers for harvesting. Is this correct? What does F2 actually mean? I know from reaing these F2 versions are supposed to be better than the original versions as self pollination is supposed to bring out the best of these hybrids or something. I know we got some F2 seedlings of kautskyii and they are so much nicer in shape and colour than some that are labelled just kautskyii. Johnny has now collected some seeds from the F2 version to try to get even better ones. Will these be F3?????? Can anyone advise me????

Wendy
gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8317302

>gardengal- i dunk my potted plants in water to rid the ants sometimes, just for 20-30mins and just the pot and soil, not the plant.

That's what I do with manageable sized pots too, but the problem plant is in one of those concrete urn-looking things, about 40 cm accross. I tried using a couple of buckets of soapy water yesterday, shall see how that goes.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2011 5:06 AM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 18, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8317387

oh ok gardengal, abit hard then. I do have a few huge pots of bamboo i sometimes dunk in a big tub of water (yes its hard to get them in and even harder to get them out but i just manage) hehe! my pots are plastic so not as weighty though i supose. goodluck! im forever trying to get rid of ants.
New brom, its huge with so many roots.

Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 18, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8317388

and i got this one with it from the same ebay seller.
Not sure what the white stuff on it is, doesn't wipe off much, maybe its just a pest spray or something.
perkepatch- not sure on the F2 but would love to see a pic of your kiwis together.
This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 4:07 PM

This message was edited Jan 18, 2011 4:08 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 18, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8317655

Well I can say the soapy water definitely didn't work for the ants. They're still as happy as pigs in mud this morning. I might try some borax baits and hope that no geckoes or frogs... or birds are silly enough to try it. Hmmm, I might have to give some thought to how to exclude everyone but the ants.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 18, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8317769

What about that antrid stuff, maybe they'll take it into the pot and kill the colony like that. Could take awhile to finally get rid of them though.
Ive been dunking(water), then spraying(flyspray) when they all crawl out, then washing off the plant(in case the spray harms it) all morning. There in my new bags of bark so there the next to be dunked.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 18, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8318086

Hello all. I have just been admiring my broms. They are coloring up beautifully with pups popping up all over the place.
Hannibal Lector has large pup. My leademanniana "Mend"is getting fantastic color. It has also put out 2 pups. I am so pleased to see them all doing so well. Here is 'Mend' It will look like its on fire when the color gets all over.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 18, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8318089

Here is neo Coral Fire. It was just a plain thing when I bought it , but is really getting some rich color.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 18, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8318091

neo Break of Day is getting brighter.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 18, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8318092

neo carolinae, a pretty change from plain green.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8318346

Hi all, I keep getting signed out after writing a long post so I'll post as i go
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8318347

Bree, the white stuff is probably dried algae, and if you wet your finger, then wipe it, you'll find it kind of rolls off. I think its a bit slack on behalf of the seller. I would never send a plant out looking like that! In saying that, they look like they'll be nice plants when cleaned up.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8318349

Jean, I'm a bit worried about your A. 'Mend'. I don't think its supposed to go that red. It might be under stress. Only the outer edges are supposed to go pink. Tip the water out of the centre, and give a GENTLE tug on the red leaves. If they are loose, it might be the end of it. If you do lose it, I'll send you one, so don't be upset
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8318351

Wendy, yes, F2 is a self pollinated plant seed grown out, but I'm not sure what it becomes when you self pollinate the F2 plant, although F3 sounds logical. I'll have to go and ask someone with a bit more knowledge
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 18, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8318353

Pam, I soaked my tree fern log in water overnight last night, after I had hosed off every living ant that emerged over an hour. When I took it out of the water this morning, there were still a few survivors! Amazing. I wonder how they'd react to that lawn grub stuff that you water into the lawn? I'd still try it on an unwanted plant first though. Maybe I'll research that too.
Anyway, thunder and lightening, very very frightening, so I'll get going. Wow, this is the longest I've been signed in all week
SUe
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 19, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8319293

The storms seemed to hang around for a long time last night, but again we were not directly affected.

Some of my broms are busy growing pups which is very pleasing. Guess the weird weather has agreed with them.

Nice plants there, Jean.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 19, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8319973

Sue, you were right about my A "Mend". I did as you suggested and the centre came right out.
I am so disappointed as it was growing so well. Would it have been too much rain ?
I'll have to go and check all of the broms now. They look so healthy especially "Mend'.
It has grown to over 35cm across.
Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 19, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8320020

Jean, it probably was too much wet. Did you get any cold snaps? they don't like the cold and wet. Sorry your plant is sick, but it might still throw a couple of pups. Do you have any fungicide? like Mancozeb? You could try mixing it at the rate on the label and spraying the centre of the plant with it to stop any further rot. Then keep the center dry for a couple of days, then continue as before. Maybe move it away from any others incase it spreads with the rain water splashing around. That redness is a telltale sign, but only if you know its not a colour that plant usually goes. Keep us informed as you go eh? Like i said, if you lose it, I'll send you one of mine. no problems.
Karen, glad you escaped the storm damage. We had a storm with lightening and booming thunder too. The poor dog was turning herself inside out, as the rumbles were felt in the floor. We've had a few showers today too, but hopefully it might clear up for the weekend. What has everyone got planned?
Sue
Aechmea blanchettiana is getting redder everyday, but don't worry Jean, its meant too! he he. thats not funny is it? poor Jean.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 20, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8320039

weedwoman i think it may be dried algae. How would it have gotten there? Love that purple/black brom in the right back of that last pic.
Flowers coming...

Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 20, 2011
12:52 AM

Post #8320040

found some flowers just opening on this little mini

Thumbnail by breeindy

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 20, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8321047

That looks like the plant I was asking about Bree, looks like V. ospinae Gruberi?
The algae grows naturally in the stagnant water in the central cup, in high light, and as the central leaves grow higher, the algae growing on them ends up high and dry, so dries to that white colour. Its nothing serious, and is a good reason to flush out your brom centres after a period of no rain.
The brom you like in my pic, is Aechmea 'Malva'.
http://www.bromeliadforum.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=480.0;topicseen
Wendy, This info might, or might not help on the discussion of F2 e.t.c.
Sue
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 22, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8324745

Loving the photos of the broms. Will add another. Went to the markets this morning and got Kiwi Sunset, a nice sized plant, for $15. Is that a good price? I am sure I've seen smaller Kiwi's for around $30 but maybe I was dreamin'.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 22, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8324747

Another view from the top...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 22, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8325247

Karen, for something that pretty it's a fantastic price. I'd say you did well.

Pam

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 5:01 PM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 23, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8325282

Thank you, Pam. It is pretty, isn't it.

Karen
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 23, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8325286

Karen, that sounds like a bargainprice. Its a beautiful plant and yours looks to be in excellent health and colour. Well done. I have had a huge weekend, so will chat again tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
Sue

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 23, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8326229

Just a question for all you brom growers...I understand that the pups are produced from the side of the parent but if i cut that pup off does that same mother plant produce another? Is it better to wait until the pup has roots before removing it? i know ive gotten pups without roots and planted them and they grow fine.
Does the original mother plant eventually die?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 23, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8326274

I am going to have questions too once the pups grow larger. Some broms only get one pup, the mother dies, and you still just have one plant. However I have been told that if you take that one pup off, the mother may produce a second.

Sue, the man I get my broms from at the Beenleigh Markets always has beautiful, healthy plants. Next time I go, I hope to get Kiwi Dusk, then I'll have the full set :). He sells his plants at such a good size too, and has something different each time I go.

Karen
brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

January 24, 2011
12:22 AM

Post #8326999

Karen, your photos have inspired me. That's a beautiful Kiwi Sunset. I've got 2 but neither of them are as nice as yours. Are the Beenleigh markets on every weekend and is your seller usually there? Are they at the Showgrounds? What time do they open? Bree most common Neos, Billbergias and Aechmeas produce at least 3-4 pups and they will keep producing them whether you take the first pups off or not. It's quite common to have 3 or more pups on them at once. You don't have to get roots when you cut the pups off but they will grow better and get established faster if you cut as close as you can to the mother without damaging it. Foliage Vrieseas are a bit more variable with some giving quite a few pups but the more expensive ones are often slow to pup and don't have as many. Sometimes your mother plant will be damaged trying to remove them. Eventually the old mothers will start to look shabby and gradually die. Usually the earlier pups are stronger. Generally it's better to take the pups off during the warmer months if they are at least 1/3 size of the mother because they don't grow much over winter and will try to flower in Spring even if they aren't big enough. Aah! Too much information. You'll soon figure it put with a bit of trial and error. Practise on your common ones first. Just another thought about the white stuff on your new plants. In Qld If you use town water the darker plants can get those marks from the calcium in the water. It usually rubs off quite easily and doesn't do any harm. This is my Aechmea fasciata variagated flowering.
Jen

Thumbnail by brombirdie

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 24, 2011
1:58 AM

Post #8327015

Hi Jen. Yes, the Beenleigh Markets are at the Showgrounds in James St., and are open from 6 am every Sunday, except at Show time. The brom seller has been there every time I've been and says he is there every Sunday. His broms are generally very good quality.

Here is a link...

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/beenleigh-sunday-markets/beenleigh

Karen

Nothing exciting, but my tiny pink crytpanthus has a flower. I love miniature plants.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

January 24, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8327165

Karen you did really well with that Kiwi Sunset. It is beautiful. Mine aren't nearly that advanced yet. We bought some of our Kiwis from that man when we went to Beenleigh markets. He does have good plants for a good price. Jen if you want to go I'm up for a brom trip but not this next Sunday as we have advertised to open this weekend.

Sue I made a list of Leisa's broms that I love. Your memory garden will certainly look nice with all Leisa's broms you got over the weekend. Can I get some pups when they multiply if you have them?

This is our new sales area.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

January 24, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8327171

and this is one I found full of colour today. It is neo purple jasper. Jen this is the one I was telling you about.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 24, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8327856

Wendy, will you have those fish net things for sale on Sunday? Not sure yet what we will be doing, as a lot of medical stuff coming up this week. Knocks me about sometimes.

The market man said he'd have new stuff in next week, but he's said that before and I've been disappointed, though I always find something I like.

Karen

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 24, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8327971

thanks for that information Dawnsong and Brombirdie (can never get to much info). I think the white on my broms was algae as it did roll up when rubbed hard. Love that pink flowering varigated brom!
Little marbled throat now has a pup and just finished flowers. So the mother pups after flowering?

Thumbnail by breeindy

perke_patch

January 25, 2011
2:56 AM

Post #8328959

Hi Karen. The man who makes the fishnet balls is now selling them at the Chandler markets. If you don't have time to get there I can get him to leave some here for you. I can show you waht we have done with them if you make it over here on Sunday.
We have some lovely colour at the moment with lots of flowering happening including lots of tills flowering.

Wendy
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 25, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8329844

Hi Wendy, I'll have a look at yours first. I may be able to do something myself. I hope we can get down to your sale. It's a mad couple of weeks here.

Karen
perke_patch

January 26, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8330761

hope everyone had a spectacular Australia Day. The best part is watching the vintage cars going past our front gate. We put our chairs on footpath, cup of tea in hand and flags waving from cars and balcony and just enjoy the show. Love it. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

I bought an aechmea echidna today. It even had 2 small pups about an inch high and the price was very good. I had previously bought one on ebay for $20 and it is much smaller and doesn't even have any pups yet. I'm very happy with my new one.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 26, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8331915

I don't know who this is. The person it came from did mention it in passing, but it just kept going, in one ear and out the other. lol

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 26, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8331918

Blanchetiana, thinking about flowering. It sure takes its time.

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 26, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8331922

..and an Aechmea JC Superstar

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 26, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8331956

And just because I finally got around to venturing out with the camera, the blanchetiana from a different angle

Thumbnail by gardengal

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 26, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8332270

What an exceptionly beautiful place to live, Pam. Beautiful plants too. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 26, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8332284

[quote="ctmorris"]What an exceptionly beautiful place to live, Pam.[/quote]

It certainly is, Colleen. Not without its hard work, but worth it.

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

January 27, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8332734

Lovely photos everyone. Karen, thanks for the info about the Beenleigh Markets. I must get down and check them out. Wendy, we'll add it to our list of must-do excursions. Jen
perke_patch

January 27, 2011
3:49 AM

Post #8332762

Pam your JC certainly looks like a big one. I don't think ours ever got that big before flowering.

Jen I am tempted to say get me a Kiwi on Sunday but I am sure we have enough of them. I am very tempted though. Wish I could go with you this time. Maybe next time.

Did anyone watch that game of football tonight???? Legends of Origin with all proceeds going to Qld flood victims. What an enjoyable game. lots of laughs and I think a few bruised egos. They all thought it would be an easy game but I think they all realised it was a lot harder than they remember. An enterataining evening.

Wendy
gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 27, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8333511

>Pam your JC certainly looks like a big one. I don't think ours ever got that big before flowering.

It's just an illusion Wendy because of the angle it was taken from. The Beenleigh markets certainly sound like they're worth a visit. A bit far for me though. lol
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 27, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8333654

Pam, love your plants and garden.

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 27, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8333939

Thanks Karen. :) I did mention that most of my broms are in need of dividing. lol

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 28, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8334465

wow gardengal- beautiful big broms, esp. that strippy red one jc superstar.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 28, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8335218

I saw a pic once where someone had JC Superstars lined up along the top of a retaining wall, all in flower, of course, and it was absolutely stunning. I resolved to do something similar, but it seems to have been one of those resolutions that fall by the wayside. Maybe one day. lol
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 28, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8335275

You're an early riser too Pam I see. Good morning. Colleen
perke_patch

January 29, 2011
2:54 AM

Post #8336351

I find that you can never get broms to flower at the same time no matter what you do. If it does happen it is a fluke. I planted three small vriseas in a long thin pot. they were all approx same size and I expected them all to flower together. Today I put the pot out for sale with the middle one flowering but other two don't even look like they are ready to flower. Not sure if it will sell. I am sure if all 3 were flowering they would have gone today. I think I may be left with them unless I drop the price tomorrow. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Met a couple of new "friends" today. Both brom collectors who have promised to come back with pups to swap. One even came back this arvo with some pups and went away with a couple of new ones from us. He is happy and we are happy too. He brought us round 3 mini blanchetianas. They have a deep purple base with top looking like normal orange blanch but he says they only grow about half size of normal blanch. We'll see how they go and I will post a photo once we get them potted up.

Need my beauty sleep for busy sale day tomorrow. Nite all.

Wendy
gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 29, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8337165

The mini Blanchetiana sounds interesting Wendy. I'll look forward to seeing the pic.

Colleen, I do usually tend to rise around 5 ... what I wouldn't give to be able to sleep in, but if I stay in bed once I'm awake I simply get a back ache. I gave up even trying to sleep at 4am yesterday ... one of those nights where you wake up every couple of hours for no reason whatsoever. At 4am I was wide awake with no hope whatsoever of any more sleep, so groped around in the dark for some clothes and came to visit here. Strangely, no one was awake at Dave's either, so I was on my lonesome. lol

We drove the hour and a half to Hervey Bay yesterday to see if the tip shop had some sheet metal for the roof of a new gazebo we're building. With our beautiful big trees etc here, I didn't want nice shiny new zinc, it would have stood out like dogs ... well, anyway, lol The people at the local centre don't seem to salvage a fraction of what they could, so there's never enough of anything to do anything serious ... the amount of good timber and metal that ends up simply as landfill is a real shame, and they won't let you get it for yourself. Anyway, we not only found some suitable roofing sheets, but I managed to score a manageable sized piece of fishing net in the thinner sized cord that I was looking for, didn't want the really chunky stuff, and a beautiful old metal wheelbarrow as well - someone has made an attempt at making a new tray for it out of sheet metal and given up. We'll make a new wooden tray for it and it will look lovely planted up with a few broms.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8337955

Actually, I love exploring the tip shop, but haven't been out there for ages. Have to get in early for the good stuff.

Wendy, looking forward to the mini blanch pic too. I didn't see it this morning.

Went to the Beenleigh markets early and got some nice broms, then over to Wendy and John's and got some more :). I am weak. I am really weak. But they are soooooo irresistible.

I have so been waiting to take this photo. The 3 Kiwi's together. Yes, I got Kiwi Dusk this morning.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8337957

I freaked when I moved the Kiwi Cream to find the biggest, ugliest spider taken up residence in it. Am afraid to move it back now.

I don't have names for the following. Shame we can only insert one photo at a time.

Karen

From the markets...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8337960

This one from Wendy's this morning...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8337965

This lovely one also from Wendy...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8337967

A cheapie from the markets today. I love the purple in it...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2011 9:43 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8337968

This Vr. from Wendy. It is one that was on my must have list...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2011 9:45 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
3:06 AM

Post #8338145

Karen, I love your Kiwis. Your bargains at the markets inspired me to go and have a look today. There weren't any Kiwi Sunsets left, only Dusk and Cream which I already have. Was almost tempted to get another one because they are such good value. I got this unknown Tillandsia and another one with soft leaves and pretty flowers. What a terribly unbotanical description! Sue? Wendy? Can anyone help out with the names? Jen
This is the Tillandsia noid.

Thumbnail by brombirdie

brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8338146

And this is the other one.

Thumbnail by brombirdie

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 30, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8338726

I love that top pic Jen. Is that in the shadehouse or the garden?
Karen, you obviously had a very satisfying day. Now to find somewhere to put them all? lol

Pam
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8338826

Hi Pam. Yes, very satisfying. It was a good day.

Jen, you were there before me. I could get there earlier on my own, but Barry is a slow starter and holds me up. I saw both of those there. The first wasn't for sale, so maybe he was holding it for you? Or maybe it was another one.

Wendy's was great. I could totally get lost there.

Karen
perke_patch

January 31, 2011
2:19 AM

Post #8339962

Karen thanks for the praise re our garden. It is an always evolving canvas for us as you know. The focus at the moment is always on the BSQ open day in a bit over 4 weeks.

Your first photo after the Kiwis could be neo fireball varigata as I said on Sunday. The second I'm sorry I can't remember what you got. The third is a small jewellery shop. The next is I think a tristes with the dep purple centre. The vrisea is flamea. I can't remember the order as I have already lost what I had typed when I scrolled back up so I hope I covered everything.

Jen I love your new plants.The first one could be tillandsia creation but I would have to see it. I love the orange flowering one. When you get pups I will definately be in for a swap. My tillansia Australis now has a couple of hair pups. They are still a bit small but soon ...

We now have lots of new seeds to sow so will be full of seedlings soon. Don't know where we will put them though. We might have to take over the backyard next door. Instead of mowing it we may have to water it LOL.

We started packing up yesterday at about 4.30. Advertised close was 4pm. At 6pm we were still helping visitors with selections. We were so tired and just wanted to put our feet up but had to cook tea for our son who turned up for Sunday roast. Had to settle for toasted sandwiches. This morning we had a couple of women who returned for more brom fix. What an exhausting weekend. What will 5th March be like I wonder?????? We handed out so many brochures over the weekend and everyone said they would be here on 5th. I think we may be very very busy. Everyone is invited to come.

Wendy
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2011
3:20 AM

Post #8339982

Thanks Wendy. I think the third one was also a small Vr.? I don't know if this pic is any clearer. For some reason the pics were over exposed.

I think your garden is totally amazing and a credit to you and John.

Karen

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 4:21 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 31, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8340887

So Karen where are the pics you took of Wendy's garden?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8341005

Oooh, Pam, I didn't take any this time. But if Wendy doesn't mind, here is one from last time. This is a section of the magical front garden...

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8341012

Here is another view of the front garden...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8341018

And another...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

gardengal
se qld
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8341029

Thanks Karen. :)

The little red stoloniferous neo(?) on the pole, Karen or Wendy can you tell me what it is please? I discovered the other day that the tag from that one has gone from my shadehouse too. It MUST be the birds, as no one goes anywhere near it, I've never had a plant go missing, simply the tags. There's an ever increasing amount of noids out there - just a tad frustrating.

Pam

PS are the hangers on barbed wire or do they hold themselves up?

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 7:40 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8341049

Oh, and whoo hoo. that's my brom fix for the next month. Must tell my son to go and have a look. Absolutely beautiful. Wish I could see it in person. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8341058

Colleen, isn't it just magical. And that is just one side of the front yard. Their whole yard is like it, front, back and sides.

Pam, Wendy would have to explain the different set ups they have. They use a couple of different methods but no barbed wire. There are totems, fish net "snakes" and coconut balls... I could be wrong, but I think the pole is covered with Neo. Fireball. I've always loved that one.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 2:53 PM
perke_patch

February 2, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8344359

Hi Pam . The mini neo on the totem in the frontyard is fireball. We do have barbed wire out the back with pots hanging from them. The bards keep the pots where you want them. Wherever we have pots hanging on normal wire we are always separating them to stop them breaking bits off each other.

Today I moved all nearly all my tills together onto one single shadecloth covered frame. I can't beleive I have amassed so many in a short time. I also have lots in hanging pots, in pots on shelves and on logs and things on bonsai tray pots. I also discovered that my till lindenii blue has a flower coming. The strictas are all starting to flower too and make lots of babies. Don't you love these gorgeous little gems of nature??? I know I do. It feels like waiting fo a baby to arrive. I promise a photo of lindenii when it finally gets here.

This photo is of a foliage vriesea we have called John's favourite. It is a John Buchanan hybrid which was given to a friend of ours in Cleveland who then gave us one of the pups. She also gave John Buchanan's son a pup years later. The other night I discovered that Buchanan jnr has a pup listed as Dad's favourite on ebay. Check out the price it is going for!!!!!!!! Jen and I are thrilled to know we have these pups in our collections. Right Jen?????

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 2, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8345329

perkepatch- see that stripped brom with the red sword flower in your last pic my dad has one and its very very slow to pup and the same brom re-flowers each year(i didnt know broms could do that?). The little yellow flowers that come out of the red sword are cute i think.
BTW love that Vriesea! look at my little guy, getting a little to much sun.

Thumbnail by breeindy

gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 3, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8351926

What a difference a bit of sun and a few weeks makes. My Alcantarea imperialis rubra that I'd mentioned was rather green when I pulled out of the shadehouse, pic taken 29 Dec.

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 3, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8351928

And today, less than 6 weeks later.

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 3, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8351930

hmm, not really a brilliant comparison now that I see the two pics side by side, will find one with more similar light.

EDIT: the system won't let me post a pic into an edited post, so shall have to do another. sorry!

This message was edited Feb 4, 2011 10:19 AM
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 3, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8351951

Even brighter light still than the original pic, but there's a huge difference in the colour in just a short time. I don't think it's totally happy in its new location, so will find a spot for it that gets a little more shade I think.

Pam

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 4, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8354217

This little cutie was a noid when I got her . It's gotta be a girl because it's pink! lol

Thumbnail by gardengal

gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 4, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8354232

And from inside the the shadehouse, inspired by pics I'd seen of the brom house at Nong Nooch Botanic Gardens at Thailand.

The bowl contains Neo. 'Martin' and that's neo mottles around the base.

Thumbnail by gardengal

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 5, 2011
12:18 AM

Post #8354681

that looks really good!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 5, 2011
2:15 AM

Post #8354700

Hello everyone, sorry I have been AWOL. I've had a sore back which makes spending time at the computer a bit uncomfortable. Seems to be on the mend, so I will try to respond to all the lovely pics here. Pam, I think the contrast between the two pics is awesome! What a difference. I made a mistake in putting my Alc. 'Silver Plum' out in the sun. It had been in a very bright position in the shade house, then I moved it to late afternoon sun, then out into full sun, but it burnt and bleached almost immediately. Mind you, the temps have been a bit extreme this last week. It'll recover as it grows new leaves, but a bit of a shame, none the less. I like your thailand bowl and little Billys too and the Blanchettianas further up the thread. All good stuff.
Karen, nice Vrieseas there and all the other goodies form the markets. You are getting quite a collection growing.
Wendys place is looking really lovely. I just love that glass urn near the pond. I would love to find something like that to use around here, but I fear it would be smashed by falling gum branches.
Jen, your two recent purchases look lovely too. I'm not familiar with either, which means we have more to add to the swap list. he he.
Theresa, how are you? Hows your broms going?
Bree, how are your broms doing in this hot weather? Are you able to keep them sheltered so they don't get burnt or bleached?
I have been watering them every couple of days for the last week, with just a splash really. It helps to keep the water in the centre fresh and wash off the stamens from the gum flowers. Today I used the jet on the hose to try and flush gum leaves out of the big Alcants, aswell as a few rather large spiders. I also flushed a mouse out from behing a Staghorn Fern. How bizarre. The dogs were watching the place it ran to, for most of the day, and I had to keep shooing them out of the shade house for fear they would knock over pots if the mouse decided to make a run for it. All was well though.
Anyway, off to the markets in the morning, so had better have an early night. I'll see if I can find a Pic of Wendys glass urn.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

perke_patch

February 5, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8354705

Hi Sue. That urn was a freeby I got from someone who was dumping it. Don't know who but we've had it for a few years now. We put frothy frog eggs in there early each season and then feed up the tadpoles until they get big enough to survive the fish in the big pond. Then we just keep some pond weeds growing in there. Sometimes we will put some native fish in there but mostly just weed.

Pam I love the pink billbergias and the bowl on the plinth is lovely. I love to see how different people display their broms.

I got a new guz yesterday. It is called patricia. Johnny doesn't like the flowering guzs and vriseas but he was the one who just had to have it.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

February 5, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8354707

I moved all my tills onto one frame while Johnny builds me a new area for stock plants. I can't believe how many I have amassed. Several are flowering and even more multiplying.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8354721

Wendy do you just glue them onto the board? Hi Sue bad backs are the pits aren't they. Hope you're well soon. Hello everyone else. Beautiful plants everyone. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 5, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8355699

Sue, I originally put this Alcant. in full sun and burned the poor baby too, hence taking it to the shadehouse and leaving it there for a couple of years or so. It was doing nothing much there, so I figured it was time to take action. Not good about your back, take care of it.

Wendy it looks like a fiddly job attaching all those little babies to their mounts.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 5, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8355820

baby pimmento...so cute.

Thumbnail by breeindy

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8356204

Thought you might like to have a look at some of my Broms. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8356215

another

Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 5, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8356361

Sue my bil. nutans is coming along, seems much improved with the shadier spot & a bit more water in this heat.
Some of the leaves are quite damaged, would it be better to cut them off or just leave them?
The pups are almost as big as 'mum' in one pot, the other pot is the one that didn't flower & it has just one small pup.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 5, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8356363

other one

Thumbnail by dalfyre

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8356567

I'm going to try to put some more pics up. It wouldn't let me do it before. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 6, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8356626

I don't know what's going on but I can't get any more pics to post. Colleen
perke_patch

February 6, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8356662

Hi Pam & Colleen. Those tillandsias are easy to mount. The grandkids love to help me mount them. It is one of their favourite activities when they sleepover. Even 3yo Emily helps. We use a bit of clear selastic (not sure of spelling) and leave the mount on a table for a couple of days till plant is securely attachd before hanging. Another good way to mount them is with a Unail but sometimes they crack the wood.

We went to the markets this morning and got some new plants but didn't get a chance to take photos. From memory we got Guzmania Sunnytime, another guz????, canistropsis guava, and a box of fireball to finish another fishnet snake spiralled around the post out the back.

Less than 4 weeks now till our BSQ open day.

Wendy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 6, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8357410

ctmorris- is that pic you posted a wild gossip? look at mine...its in full sun.

Thumbnail by breeindy

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 6, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8357447

No it's Predator. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 6, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8357507

anyone know what colour this flowers going to be?

Thumbnail by breeindy

gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 6, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8357538

No sorry, Bree, but they both look VERY sick. You'd better send them to me to avoid the rest of your collection becoming infected. :)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 6, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8358232

Don't listen to Pam, Bree, we all know things get better at my place! You'd better send them here. I'd say your V. 'Gruberi' is going to have yellow flowers, the same as V. ospinae. Great colour on your N. 'Wild Gossip'.
Colleen, your broms are doing wondefully, and you are getting good colour in your predator and ,what looks like Billbergia 'Hallelujah'? I can't believe how full your shade house is. When is John coming to make an extension?
Wendy, I think its spelled (spelt) solastic? I'd never thought of using that for Tillandsias. I usually tie mine on with Fishing line, but am only new to Tillandsias really, so haven't had them for long enough to comment on if it works well yet. You cant go wrong with flowering Guzmanias! Theres alot of people out there who don't like plants with prickles and spikes. Personally, I think they don't know what they're missing out on, although I'm not keen on bromelia balansae.
Theresa, you could trim down the brown leaves if you like, just shape them to a point and you won't even notice them gone. While the weather is warm, you could use a little liquid fertiliser at half strength, (do you get 'Thrive' over there?) to give them a little boost. Also seasol, a plant tonic, is recommended by alot of growers. I love Billbergia nutans when its in a wall pot, or hanging basket, as the flowers are then at eye level. When they are in flower, they always sell well on a market stall.
My back seems to be ok at the moment, so fingers crossed it stays that way, and meanwhile, I'll try not to do anything stupid (very hard for me) like lifting heavy objects or doing lengthy weeding sessions! Meanwhile, I'm off to repot some of Leisas plants that are in need of a refresh. Happy gardening.
Sue
Neo. 'Lamberts Pride'

Thumbnail by weed_woman

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 6, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8358321

Wow Sue your LP sure has some colour. I must go and find mine and see if it needs more sun. Don't worry John knows he has to build another SH but he said that he would leave the broms in this one and the other one can be for everything else. lol. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 6, 2011
11:39 PM

Post #8358337

OH, Wow! That LP is divine!

At Wendy's recently she showed me some coconut balls for air plants. I got some today from Fame Orchids. Put this one up just to photograph. It is larger than the other two.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 6, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8358339

Got another crypt from Barry's mother this week. The dark one is my fosteranus (I think that is the name), and the new noid is the pink one. It is very pretty, but was left out in the rain for too long. I hope it will pick up. The 4 pups it had fell off, so I'll pot them separately.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 6, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8358340

Sue - I think we get thrive, not sure about seasol.
Have one called maxi crop that is a seaweed based liquid fertilizer.
Strangely I know about it through dog showing.
The kelp is good for boosting pigmentation & many breeders swore by it to ease arthritis...
haven't heard many extolling it's virtues lately & my vet was dubious.
Will have to start planning to bring them inside, it is nice now but frosts can be pretty hard here in winter.
they did ok last winter on the stereo by a north facing window so probably stick to that location.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2011 7:47 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 6, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8358342

Karen they are beautiful. They look like they're moving. Here's my Lambert's Pride Sue. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 6, 2011
11:58 PM

Post #8358344

Just a group that I thought looked nice. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2011
1:19 AM

Post #8358353

Colleen, I love group pics, especially when they are as colourful as yours. Yes, the wavy patterns do seem to cause a bit of an optical illusion.

Kelp is supposed to be good for thyroid too, isn't it?
Karen
perke_patch

February 7, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8358436

Karen we found the hard way that the neos on those balls (coconut husk & fishnet ones) don't do too good unless they are facing upwards. I think it is because they are not in potting mix to get water & nutrients and if they can't hold water in their wells they dry out too quickly. So when mounting them make sure they face upwards so they can hold water. We had to reposition some which didn't look too happy hanging down.

We have a new best friend after our last sale. He kept asking if we had this and that and then offered to bring back some of the ones we didn't have. We've heard that one before so were pleasantly surprised when he turned up again on Saturday afternoon with some plants to swap. He came back again Sunday with puyas and then again this week with a heap of cryptanthus and an enchantment with albomarginata rather than variegation. Sorry I haven't got photos yet.

We have so much potting to do before our open day but we keep getting visitors who stop us working or we have our grandaughter to mind while mum works so we can't get stuck in. She just wants to hop in the spa for a swim and with the heat we've been having it is just too easy to comply.

I am attempting a new creative project over the next couple of days. I have downloaded the instructions and am attempting a nappy cake for a baby shower for my next grandaughter due in about 6 weeks. I saw them at the markets on Sunday and thought I could do one so tomorrow I will go to get all the items required. I promise I will post some photos when completed. Can't wait to get into it.

Wendy
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8359431

Wendy, thanks for the tip on the balls. That is actually all just one plant, and I just put it on temporarily with wire to take the photo. I think I'll put a pauciflora on one of the balls. Haven't decided what else yet.

Question: Do the pups need roots before putting onto the ball?

The nappy cake sounds great and I can't wait to see what you do. Those things are all the rage now, aren't they.

I have never actually seen a puya plant, but have seen pics, and they are very interesting flowers. I love the Sapphire Tower. I almost got one once but felt I didn't have anywhere to grow it to do it justice. They take many years to flower.

Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8359986

A newbie from the shops this morning.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 7, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8360021

i like Billbergias but there so tall. Hard to prob. up when they have no roots or just been transplanted. Wonder what flower that one has?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8360234

I haven't seen any bills in flower. I like this one for its simple green and cream. My bills were all already been potted, so I didn't know they were difficult to pot up. I like broms because they all grow different and make a nice cluster with different colours and textures and shapes.

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 8, 2011

Post #8361102

[quote="breeindy"]i like Billbergias but there so tall. Hard to prob. up when they have no roots or just been transplanted. Wonder what flower that one has?[/quote]

Bree, I discovered that it was easily fixed by just poking 3 or 4 bamboo skewers upright in the pot to support the plant until it could stand up on its own..

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 8, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8361204

thanks gardengal-I only have one and its flowers is similar to this one...

This message was edited Feb 8, 2011 5:28 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8362781

Here is the one I have. Love the blooms.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

perke_patch

February 12, 2011
2:40 AM

Post #8367570

Sorry I've ben AWOL for a few days. Had to make a quick trip to Hervey Bay as my Dad is in hospital there. His 91yo body is letting him down. Don't know if outcome will be good or not.

Karen the pups don't need roots to go on the net balls. As they do grow roots they wind themselves through the netting and become permanent attachments. This is a good time of year to attach them as it is peak growing season. I must do a few more.

We raided my son's garden today before we came home and bought all his pups off him. Had the back of the ute so full I had to have our bags on the floor under my legs. I think my bum and one leg is still numb from being cramped and unable to move. Now we have to pot them all up for sale at our open day. Less than 3 weeks to go now.
This is an aechmea wehave had for a while but recently discovered name for. It is pendula eleuth ropetala

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

February 12, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8367575

after looking at the photo above I think it is a neo not aech. Wonder why I wrote down aech when writing down name.

Wendy
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 12, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8367593

Hi Wendy, sorry to hear your dad is unwell. I hope he comes good. 91 is a ripe old age! Your Neo looks like N. pendula x eleutheropetala, A.K.A 'Pink Spider' I've been growing one in bright light, and its really tubby, a bit like an Aechmea recurvata. I'm going to try another one in shade to get the long leaves, which I guess is where the 'spider' name comes into it.
I've been working on leisas memory garden for most of the day, and I am shattered. I now have heaps of my old ordinary broms to find spots for, as I am revamping an existing garden, instead of making a whole new one. I'll take some pickies tomorrow, as i think it looks awesome.
Sue

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8367916

It's a beautiful little plant.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 12, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8368271

That it is. Wendy, I hope your Dad pulls through. I'm sure he's in good hands.

A few weeks back when Jean mentioned she'd removed some rooted pups from her Alcantarea I felt inspired so went out and gingerly levered off the lowest pup on mine, given that I knew there were no roots on the others. No roots, and it barely looked like it had a base plate, so I was kicking myself for being so impatient. I tucked him into the base of the leaf and figured he'd either survive or wouldn't. I was thrilled yesterday to discover a couple of roots had formed. Provided the water is kept up to it there is it likely to be as happy there for a bit as in a pot?

Pam

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8368333

Cograts on being game to take the pups off, Pam.
I have 3 out there now. One is in the mix next to mum and the others are tucked into the leaves and have little roots. Looking good. There are still a few left on mum but too small to move yet.
I have lots of pups coming on other broms , so am going to have fum when they are all big enough to remove.
Jean
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8368505

Wendy, sending prayers for your father. Thank you for letting me know about the roots (or lack of) for pups. I too am going to have fun with all the pups coming on at the moment. None are big enough to move yet though.

There is supposed to be a brom sale at Victoria Point this weekend. Wondering if anyone we know is involved? We are heading out later, but not sure we'll go down that way.

Have a pleasant weekend, everyone.
Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8369251

Um, went to the brom sale. Got 3 beauties.
Karen

This one is Vriesea Bianca.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8369253

Neoregelia Kautskyi. The gold is the display plant. I got a pup which is mostly just green yet. Both are pictured.
Karen

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 12:04 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8369255

And this one is Alcantarea Extensa, showing the mother (display only) and pup. The mother is quite stunning, and the pic doesn't do it justice.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8369260

Wendy, I was amazed when we stopped at a small market at Redlands, and met your fish net man! They are a nice couple. I got some, of course. These already had Tillandsias in them, and I got a blank one too.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

February 13, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8369319

thanks everyone for your best wishes for my dad. Unfortunately at his age they are hesitant to go for invasive options to fix his heart so it is just a matter of time. It forgets to beat at normal speed when he sleeps. I guess that is the best way to go - in your sleep.

Karen you had a big day getting all those things. Bianca is lovely isn't it? Kautskyi goes yellow/red when grown in the sun. In the shade it stays more green with deep red markings. The photo is one of ours which is an F2 version. It is a perfect shape. We have now collected seed from it to try to improve it again.

Glad you got some more balls. I still have a box full of ones I bought but haven't filled yet. I am still working on one at the moment. Every now and then I clip another couple on it. I sold a couple with pups on last time we had a sale. They look like they might be popular when full of plants. Some of the ones we did a while ago are now so full you can hardly see the balls for plants.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8369398

Wendy, your Kautskyi is gorgeous! A real prize. I keep saying I don't need anymore, but somehow I'm not listening. I am looking forward to seeing the net balls filled out.

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 13, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8369999

Karen, you really did have a good day out, and picked up some lovelies as well, and all before lunch - well done! :)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 14, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8370822

he he, no Karen, you are NOT addicted! he he. Nice kautskyi Wendy. I've got one grown hard, (no fertiliser) and in good light and it is not alot bigger than a mini and never flowered...yet. I also grew a Neo. 'Jewellery Shop' the same way and it still looks gorgeous, while another younger one I grew with fertiliser has flowered and produced pups. I plan to grow half the pups hard as I reckon they are awesome.
I spent sunday pottering with leisas plants too, and got quite a bit acheived, but didn't get a photo of it where i'm up to, but did take one in the morning before I got started. Its looking good, despite the evr present mess from the gum trees. I have a plan in mind to string out shade cloth that will catch the leaves and branches, and hopefully they'll all slide off onto the grass, where I can mow them or rake them. Takes a bit of working out though, and I may have to put in some posts to connect the shade cloth to, because the trees aren't quite in the right spot.
ok, photo time. This is the only one, as when i tried to take pics this morning, they were blurry because of the low light and rain. I will try again tomorrow though. I've relocated the A. gamosepala and Billbergias from around the bandicoot log, and also I repotted the young A. recurvatas and variety benrathiis which are now down in the new Aechmea garden, which is ALMOST finished. I realised over the weekend, that almost everywhere you look there is a bromeliad or two...or three...or four! he he. I'm out of control!
Sue

This message was edited Feb 14, 2011 8:02 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 14, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8370825

heres my kautskyi in December 2010

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 14, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8370827

And Neo. 'Jewellery Shop' in Dec 2010

Thumbnail by weed_woman

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8371682

Love the colors. magnificent..
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8371882

OH, I want, I want...hold on, I've already got those! Will they ever look like yours, Sue? And no, I'm really not addicted. I'm not! I can say 'No' anytime. Mostly. Well, maybe sometimes. Really.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8371911

Yeah! Right! None of us are addicted we just WANT them all. Isn't it lovely??
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8372854

he he, Karen, I said about 2-3 months ago that you were addicted, but you denied, denied, denied! Your kautskyi and Jewellery shop can be coloured up by planting in an orchid type mix with no fertiliser, then placing in as much sun as you can without direct midday sun, so somewhere that would get sun till 11am and from 2-3pm onwards. Winter sun is the best for colouring them up as its not so hot, so have a go with them this winter and show us them next spring/summer. Just move them into sun slowly over a week if you currently have them in shade. Check for signs of burning in the early stages.
Charleen, how are you? Is it cold there? We're almost ready to come to an end of our lovely summer. Its been nice and warm, but an awful lot of rain this year. Still, since I have a tropical garden, it has benefited me.
Sue
A bit more of "Leisas Way'

Thumbnail by weed_woman

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8373074

Sue, the last couple of days has been wonderful, Sun shinning and temps in 60's, I love it. Believe Spring may be on it's way. Poor folks up north still have lots of snow yet tho.
Loved the picture of "Leisas Way" Beautiful. Got to go take a walk to see what is finally poking it's little head up to see if spring is here.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8373645

Sue, I think Leisa's Way has a rat living in the hollow log. It looks lovely now, and can only get better with time. I will keep them out in the sun and watch them colour up. I wish I had a large area for alcantareas as I am so enthralled by them.

Charleen, glad you are seeing sun shine. There has been more rain predicted here, and they are talking about releasing a year's supply of drinking water from the dam. That is a huge step to take and I hope the weather man is right about the rains.

Karen

perke_patch

February 16, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8374599

Sue I love the colour in your jewellery shop. I have one that has been grown at the top of a totem close t the shadecloth and I thought the lovely golden yellow wit deep red markings was lovely but I didn't get any of your pink tones. My kautskyi was also grown at the top of a totem hence the lovely colours. We usually grow kautskyii our in some sunshine on the totems and get some lovely colours but they seem to be more elongated leaves. I love the perfect shape of the one I posted.

Karen, your net ball with the tills on... is that hayley's comet or pehaps neglecta???? If it is hayley's comet it will be from my tree. We gave Brian a heap of it to use on his balls. I didn't realise he was selling them with tills on them. I am getting a lift with Brian tomorrow night to the Brom Society meeting. I haven't been to one before. Perhaps I should take some money with me incase I see a brom I can buy at their sales table???? Don't know where we can put it. We have no room.

Jen asked me to go on a brom trip with her to Paterson's at Gympie next week. At first I said no because we are trying to get ready fo our open day. However we can't take any more pups off because we have no room to put them anywhere. We don't want to be so overcrowded for our open day that the yard looks messy. So no more pupping until after we clear some broms and make space. Soooooo. I guess I do have time for one day of brom shopping Jen. Tell me when and I will be ready.

We have worked out a perfect plan. We took a heap of broms up to our son in Hervey Bay. He is on acreage and plants them in the gardens and grows them up hard for us. We go up there regularly and buy a car load of big pups/broms to bring back to sell. Perfect for both him and us. We had so many in my brothers ute last weekend I had our bags under my legs coming home. The size and colour on them was so lovely ... grown hard in the sun/shade between his banana trees.

Till stricta is flowering on the trees at the moment. I hope it is still flowering in 2 weeks. It looks so lovely at the moment.

Thumbnail by perke_patch

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8374782

That is beautiful.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 16, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8375662

Hi Charleen.
Wendy, Brian didn't say what the tills were. I think there are 3 different ones. I also think he may have been using those as a display as he had heaps of the blank ones for sale. I just got very lucky, and some have buds too. Was amazing that we met like that, as I had no idea there were even any markets on there. He did mention driving you to the brom soc.

I hope John is improving. This being sick all the time is not right. I do empathize.

Hi all brom lovers. We've been treated to some real beauties lately.

Karen

perke_patch

February 18, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8378595

I went to the Brom Society Mtg last night and I was given strict instructions that we had no room for any more broms so not to buy anything but I couldn't resist a couple of vriseas (& tils but I snuck them onto my wall an he didn't see them). This one is Vr squiggles x angela.

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

February 18, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8378602

and this one is Vr platynema 'flava'. The yellow colouring and the deep red fingernails are stunning.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 18, 2011

Post #8379087

Wendy, those are beautiful. I so love the vrieseas, and it seems more new hybrids are appearing. Hard to go to a brom sale and not have something catch your eye.

Karen

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 19, 2011
12:25 AM

Post #8380084

ohh! thats what the flowers going to look like...

Thumbnail by breeindy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8380167

that is gorgeous!! the light green against the dark Mama...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 19, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8380956

Wendy, just ignore the instructions not to get any more broms. If he's anything like my hubby he knows full well that you WILL get something, but feels he needs to make the token protestation, just to support the 'team'. hehehe.
perke_patch

February 20, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8381875

thanks Pam. He thinks the foliar vriseas are his and I get the flowering ones so I knew that buying him a couple of foliar vriseas would be excused. Luckily I hung the tillandsias up as soon as I got home so he never even new. I also bought a orthophytum bright lights. Unfortunately I can't find a photo on FCBS or Broms in Aust. I will just have to wait until mine flowers to show you all how the bright green flower looks against the black plant. If anyone located a photo of these plants in flower please post it so we can all see.

Less than 2 weeks now till our open day. How time is flying by. Nearly end of summer already.
Wendy
perke_patch

February 22, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8385790

Jen and I are off to Gympie this week to relieve Margaret Patterson of some of her new hybrids. Can't wait to see what she has available again. Apparently some of their plants floated out away in the Gympie floods in January.

As promised this is a photo of the nappy cakes I made for the babyshower for my new grandaughter this weekend. The front green one was made with 3yo Emily. She chose decorations from her toybox and helped me roll nappies and put rubber bands round them. She was so proud to take it home to show daddy. I was proud of my two as well.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 22, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8385852

Wendy, those nappy cakes are brilliant. What a wonderful gift idea.

We are heading north this weekend also, though not as far as you. Were supposed to go this past weekend but I was way to sick with chest cold. It will be gone this weekend!!!

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8386001

You did great! They are so cute...
perke_patch

February 23, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8387750

Change of plan. Gympie trip is off. Our host is unwell and will be off her feet for at least 2 weeks so we'll have to see how we go after Jen gets back from her trip south in about 3 weeks.

I just have to share this. I went along with Jess for her baby scan this week. Baby objected to the guy pushing his scanner over her face so she put her hand up in front of her face with a clenched fist. The guy was just trying to get a profile picture to print out for Jess to keep. We got it with a perfect side profile showing eyes, nose and perfect bowed lips. All of a sudden baby's bottom lip jutted way out and her hand raised up above her head. He just had to print another shot. We now have a photo of her first tantrum wih full lip pout and all.

Wendy
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 23, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8388500

Aren't they (the scans) awesome these days Wendy? Compared to what they were when I was having my babies around 25 years ago they've just come along so far. Back then they'd have just about have to had a degree just to make out what the cloudy images even were. Now they're just so intricate and detailed. I find it absolutely amazing that they can actually go into each individual ventricle of the heart and see it all so clearly.

Have a great day all.

Pam
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 23, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8388562

Wendy, wow, talk about pics to treasure. Imagine that being the first "This is your life" - at baby's 21st!

We are supposed to be driving up on Sunday (not sure where, near Montville maybe). I hear its going to be stinking hot on Sunday. Hope I am really back on my feet again. The car isn't air conditioned.

These tills, are the new ones too young to separate? I would like to cover the empty one of the net balls with these. It seems to be a strong grower and reproducer. But I'd hate to do the wrong thing and kill it. I've lost the name tags off my tills, so don't know what any of them are except one.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

February 24, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8389616

Karen, I think your till might be neglecta buy you may have to wait for the flowers to be sure. They look big enough to divide up. I look forward to a pic of the ball when you have finished.

There has been some discussion recently about Billbergia tim plowman so I thought I would share some advice I was given by Genny Catlan recently. Never take the first pup off a tim plowman. If you do mum will sulk for 1 or 2 years. She advised that you wait for at least 3 if not 4 plants before you take the youngest one. A few years ago we bought a pot with 2 tubes of TP. About a year ago our TP had pup which we took off for Jen (brombirdie Jen). Our pot of TP today is still just the same 2 tubes. Yesterday I saw Jen's pot of TP (the one she got from us remember). Believe it or not it now has about 5 tubes. I can confirm our TP has been sulking for over a year now. Last week it flowered so maybe the sulks are over now. Anyway Genny Catlan is bringing me up a couple more next weekend when she comes up for our open garden. I will not be taking any pups off these new ones until the pot is full.
Can anyone identify or suggest a possible ID for this guz. It is flowering at present but the lady who gave me the pup didn't know the name. It is a lovely white with deep purple tips.

Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8390685

Hello again everyone. My broms are going very well here even though they never saw much warm weather. There are quite a few pups coming and I am so pleased that some of my tillandsias are flowering. I thought I may have to wait years but the plants I bought from Exotic Air Plants are just great. Here is the flower just starting to open on Til. harrisii.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8390687

This is Til. magnusiana

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8390691

Not sure if this is the start of a flower or not on Til. caput meduse. I have another large till that is putting out 2 babies.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 24, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8390754

Jean, I love Tillandsias, and you have some lovely ones there.

Wendy, I suspect that till is a Neglecta too, but as I've lost the tags I am not sure.

The fish net ball was a bit small, as I got 10 plants off that one, and there are still babies attached to the original stem. So I've put them on my loofah instead. It wasn't easy getting them into it as the fibres are strong, but I am hoping that now they are in, those same strong fibres will keep them there. There is plenty of room for them to multiply.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 24, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8390767

My Vr. Splenriet is getting a pup! I am so excited. Is it better to remove the pup, or let it grow on where it is? How big does it have to be before I remove it? Wendy, if it has to be removed, I'll be paying you a visit when its ready as I wouldn't dare do it myself, not the first one.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

February 25, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8391646

Karen I love your loofah of tills. Well done. Splenriet is one of those broms where you just about have to destroy the plant to get the pups off so wait till the flowering is over and the pups are a good size before trying totake them off. When the pups are a good size bring the plant over and we will help you take them.

Jean I love your tills. I am still building my collection of tills. I love them, they don't take too much room and look really good. There are so many ways you can display them. I guess I love the creative side of collecting tills ie displaying them. I discovered another one today that I didn't even know I had. I was taking pups off the fasiculatas and discovered that one of them wasn't. I can't remember the name right now but it is not even on my spreadsheet. The label said it was a vrisea but one look and I knew it was a till, so did Johnny. It had flowered recently too and I just thought it was a fasiculata and ignored it. Wish we could turn back time so I could see it again. Will have to wait for next pup to flower now.

Jen I hope you have a lovely holiday for next 2 weeks. I am so jealous that you will be going to Jack's on the way back home. I wish I had thought to give you $50 to bring me back a vrisea baby from him. We'll just have t do a trip down south very soon too and pick up one ourselves. Anyhow see you in a couple weeks. Enjoy.

Wendy
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8392391

Thanks Wendy. She just has the one pup at the moment, and the flower is almost done. I will wait until the pup is larger and then pay you a visit.

Off to Nambour today. Nothing to do with plants though. Looks like its going to be a hot one.

Have a great weekend all. Jen, I hope you have a lovely holiday too.

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

February 25, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8392405

Karen, the loofah is a brilliant idea. :)

Nice collection of Tillandsias Jean. Lucky you, to have so many coming up to flower.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8392742

Thankyou Pam. Well, our trip to Nambour was called off. The people we were going to see are coming down to Brisbane instead. This is good, as I wasn't sure I would be up to a long drive with this chest cold. So it works out well.

Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 26, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8394879

A visit to a nursery we hadn't been to before at Redland Bay. Lagoon View Nursery. Thousands of plants there, many varieties. No Hoyas though. I asked.

Got this lovely brom NOID because of the markings. They had others I would like to get one day too, but nothing really outstanding. No vrieseas.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

February 27, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8395002

Hi Karen. That plant is an Aechmea 'Bert". We have them in trees and in pots, in the sun and the shade. In the sun you get shades of yellow and pink in the full shade they are more green with brown markings. They are very popular.

We've been going around th whole garden cleaning plants, moving old mothers, removing pups & dumping some mothers and cutting off some mothers to leave pups in pot. We have discovered so many aechmeas flowering though so have the displays we needed. This week we will be busy setting up, moving plants and pricing them. Hopefully we will have a lot of space when we clear them out next weekend.

Hope to see you all here next Saturday for our open garden.

Wendy
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 27, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8395759

Thanks Wendy. I imagine you are going to be busy this week. I hope we can get there Saturday. Depends on Barry though.

The aechmeas tend to have rather vicious little spikes on the leaves, don't they. Ae. Bert is nicely marked though so I had to add it to my collection.

Karen
perke_patch

March 2, 2011
2:33 AM

Post #8401754

We cleaned the sales area today, removing leaves, cleaning pots, topping with bark and pricing. We were stunned at the number of pots missing their name tags. Well over half of them have no names. Far too many to be just NOIDs or forgotten IDs. Some were obvious what they were and should have been names so labels could be redone. But othes could have been a couple of different ones and not being 100% sure we couldn't take the risk with so many brom growers expected here so we now have a lot of simply lovely broms marked down to a clearance price to get rid of them. Maybe i am paranoid but to me it looks like a gremlin has been here removing labels but why?????? I can't imagine why this could be. Perhaps the koalas or possums have a new trick up their sleeves.

Wendy
gardengal
se qld
Australia

March 2, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8402536

Ah Wendy, welcome to my world! lol They seem to just disappear, as if by magic.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 2, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8402576

hello all, back from my adventures. Wendy, I think your Guzmania could be G. 'White grapeade'? possible anyway. Love all the pics and good discussion going on. Karen, sorry to hear you're under the weather, but hopefully you'll improve and the weather will be a bit kinder to us all.
I went for a quick trip to NZ to see the Auckland bromeliad fiesta. they have some dream foliage Vrieseas there. The show was excellent and the people were really friendly and obliging, and if only I could have bought back plants! Lovely Vrieseas for $25, and alot were still there at lunchtime. Silly kiwis didn't know what they were looking at. Apparently they are more intereted in Neos.
This is One of the winning Vrieseas, V. 'Vista'
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8402709

Sue, that Vista is beautiful. Wish we could get them from NZ. They have hybridized some magnificent epiphyllums too that we can't get hold of.

I am hoping to get to Wendy's on Saturday, but have had a rough week. May try to get there for a short visit and maybe even get a new brom :).

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

March 2, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8402837

Oh yum, I think I need a vista! Sue, I hope you have plenty more pics for us?

Pam

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 3, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8403781

My daughter and I went to the half price sale at Bromagic today.
The sales will be on for a while to reduce excess stock.
If you want plants now is a good time to visit.

I purchased six plants for $20.00.

Here is the pic.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8404755

Marlene, the broms are gorgeous. I am hoping to get to Wendy's tomorrow for their open day. Have been in much pain this week, so maybe drop in for a short visit.

Karen
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 3, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8405679

Nice score amrlene, and thanks for the heads up. Karen, I hope you aren't to unwell. What have you done to yourself?
Wendy, good luck for tomorrow. I bet you wish jen was there to help. If I lived closer I'd be giving you a hand. I'm sure it will be very sucessfull.
More pics from accross the ditch.
V. 'Kandy Kandy'

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 3, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8405680

V. 'Dusky Blush'. How nice is this one?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 3, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8405689

Neoregelia 'Tartan Princess'

This message was edited Mar 4, 2011 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 3, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8405692

Neoregelia 'Velox'

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 3, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8405693

Neoregelia kautskyi in a really great container!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 3, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8405736

Karen...where is Wendys?

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 3, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8405740

OOOOppppsss I see you mean "our Wendy"
Wendy where is your Open Garden?
Thanks
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8407544

On the way to Wendy's this morning we passed another brom sale, and I picked up a couple of lovelies to add to my collection.

Wendy, sorry, I was wrong, this isn't Tim Ploughman. It is Quesnelia Marmorata Curly Top. A mother and 3 lovely pups.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 5, 2011
12:12 AM

Post #8407562

Anyone know what this mini might be? not sure on its flower yet.

Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 5, 2011
12:13 AM

Post #8407563

i love this one...

Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 5, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8407564

pimmento has 2 pups forming.

Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 5, 2011
12:17 AM

Post #8407565

domino a mini

Thumbnail by breeindy

perke_patch

March 6, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8409620

Sue, welcome home. I bet you are glad to get out of earthquake zone safely. love the photos. I have a tartan princess. I think it is one I got from Catlans. Speaking of Catlans, Genny Catlan released a new seedling yesterday at our open day. It is the pitcairnia seen here. I quickly grabbed 2 of them, one for me and one for Jen but I thought afterwards I should have grabbed a few extras for you guys.

Karen I love your quesnelia. It is probably like TP so don't take the first pup off until you have about 6 tubes in the pot just in case. Bring it over and Johnny will take the 6th pup off for you and show you how. If you want we can swap you for that 6th one. I'm sure we have plenty that you would like to swap for.

Marlene your newbies look lovely. Do you have names for them? The middle one looks nice. Is it perhaps Sunday picnic or sunday best? I'm probably way off but I like it anyhow. Sorry I didn't see your request for the address for our open day. But anytime you are down this way you will be welcome. We're at 746 Old Cleveland Rd East, Wellington Point. Just let me know when you are coming just in case we have a medical appointment. Lots of those coming up. We might just find a couple weeks to go away in between.

We had over 100 people sign in yesterday even though it did rain. Johnny had to mow the lawn in the rain on Friday so it was done. The BSQ people said we came so close to breaking the record for the most attendees at an open garden. Perhaps a bit of sunshine and we may have been right up there. We also came close to biggest takings. We probably would have beat the best in $ if we hadn't done so many back door deals with Catlens before the ladies got here. A couple of other early helpers also got a box of stuff put upstairs early too so we would have been right there. Perhaps if one of the other BSQ members hadn't back doored us by organising a sale the same day in our area we might have got more attendees too. Can't believe they did that. Talk about deliberate sabotage. Anyhow we had a busy day. I was in bed by 8pm last night and didn't wake up till about 7.45 this morning. Lucky today was very quiet in comparison. We cleared a lot of excess stock and made quite a bit of room. We had a lot of plants for $5. I couldnt' believe what Johnny had in there when showing them to people but it did work. Normally our clearance rack is $8 or 4 for $25 but today we did them for $5 or 6 for $25. Cleared a lot of them.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

gardengal
se qld
Australia

March 6, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8410359

That pitcairnia is certainly an interesting little creature, Wendy. Rather dramatic, isn't it?!

As for the 'locals' who took advantage of your open day by having a sale of their own, some people have an absolute hide. It's always nice to know who your real friends are..

Pam
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8410489

Good morning fellow brom lovers.

Wendy, I am so pleased I got one of the pitcairnia babies. Something interesting to look forward to. And I would be so very happy to give you a pup from the Quesnelia. Lord knows, you've helped me so much with my modest collection. Don't forget, my list now has your Guz. Moonglow on it. I am not big on Guz. but that one I really like. So glad the sales went well.

Karen
Baby Pitcairnia Tabuliformis and Billbergia Rocky Road...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 7, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8411278

hi all. Lovely pics Bree. I'm not sure what your mini might be. It kinda reminds me of pepper, but there are so many I'm not familair with.
Congratulations on your open day Wendy. Glad to hear you did well despite a couple of set backs. Its funny how the 'space' aspect is more important than the income eh? I think we'd all keep our pups if we had enough room? The pitcairnia is lovely, and I especially like the leaf shape, like a cordyline.
Karen, you are soooo not addicted. he he. I love to see what bargain you get each week. Your block must be filing up well!
Hi Pam and Marlene.

Thought I'd show you some pics of broms at the Quarry gardens in Whangarei, NZ
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 7, 2011
12:47 AM

Post #8411280

more

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 7, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8411290

Is it just me thinking Ebay is not as popular any more for bromeliads.
Last year I couldn't purchase a brom because I was outbid all the time.
Now only a few bids on bromeliads and if there is it's only one or two and it's won.

Is there an over supply of broms?
Maybe the money is not around because of the floods cyclones etc.

What is your opinion?

Marlene
perke_patch

March 7, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8411291

those yellow ones on top of the stump in the first shot look interesting Sue. do you know what they are??

Karen I'm glad you got one of those pitcairnias. wish I had grabbed a few extras though. I wonder if there are any left. Might need a trip down to Catlans. Genny Catlan got a neo pink fairyfloss from me to use in hybridising. Lucky I had 3 of them but I am looking forward to seeing some beautiful stunning pink neos soon.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8412424

Marlene, I haven't even looked at eBay lately. Is it going "off"? Hey, my Oxypetallum is in flower, the one I got from Steve.

Wendy, I can't wait to see the new hybrids coming up. There are so many fantastically lovely broms about now and isn't it great we can never really "run out" of new ones thanks to the hybridizers.

Sue, I'm not addicted. Just caught up in the brom magic :).

Bree, I love your minis, and the one with the purple in it is great.

Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8412616

I still have some pics to show. I keep forgetting them. Must be old age!

Karen
Billbergia Hallelujah in flower. Hope I got that spelling right.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 7, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8413345

I had no idea NZ had such nice broms...
the punga logs make good totems for them.
Mind you Whangarei is a long way north of here - well away from the earthquakes too :)
my sister has a property even further north & is growing macadamia nuts & avocados (those in the tunnel house)
I'll have to introduce her to broms...
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 7, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8413542

Hi marlene, I think broms are becoming more available at markets and people are finding alternative places to purchase them, such as nurseries and growers we mention here. There would be alot of people watching our forum and getting good leads from us! Broms are seasonal too, so maybe there are not as many pups to harvest at the moment. If you're anything like me, its hard to find something new and exciting on Ebay, as they begin to look much the same as something I already have. Personally, I enjoy meeting the growers and seeing the plants first hand, and the postage can be a bit exxy too.
Wendy, I think the yellow broms on the tree fern stump (Ponga log) are Aechmea recurvata, or a hybrid of. There seemed to be plenty of the little suckers in every full sun garden, and they cope with the milder sun and temps much better than here. It was amazing to see so many well grown broms in the various gardens I visited. Check out trademe.co.nz for what bromeliads are going for over there. You don't have to join to look.
Karen your spelling is spot on and so is your plant! Its just stunning. Its one of my favourites too, and very quick to clump, which is even more spectacular. every collection should have them.
Theresa, If they did survive in christchurch, they would have been shaken off the trunks! I was surprised to see so many in various places around the areas I travelled through (Auckland to Whangarei) and all the Neoregelias looked in good colour, so the climate really favours them. Maybe you could find a Neoregelia fireball (a small one that goes red in bright light) and try it in a sunny protected spot. (protected from snow, frost and cold winds) I know they are a little dearer to buy there, and am sorry I can't send you one to experiment with.
A couple more shots from the Quarry gardens in Whangarei

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 7, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8413547

I think these may have been Puyas. No flower to ID though. Silly DG keeps logging me out so I'll sign out and catch you again tomorrow.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 12, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8421676

I don't know if I posted this picture before but here it is.
Flowering at this time Tillandsia Creation.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 12, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8421679

Marlene I wouldn't care if you did post the pic before. It's beautiful. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 12, 2011
1:55 AM

Post #8421697

I agree with Colleen, Marlene. Can't see too much of that one.

Karen

2 noid neos...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

perke_patch

March 12, 2011
2:17 AM

Post #8421709

hi all. thought I would show you some of the broms we had for sale at our open garden. this is our display Ae burning bush with a planter stand of neo tangerines in front. The tangerines lasted about 10 minutes and they were all gone. we could have sold more but were not sure how many others we had. when we rounded up all the pups and put them in the tangerine totems we still have 10. Johnny plans to harvest some seed and grow some F2 versions of tangerine. we may even select something else to cross it with.

Wendy

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

March 12, 2011
2:51 AM

Post #8421722

this is one of the 6 vriseas I got today when we all went to Wavell Heights sale. This one is platynema variegata x mambo. I love the colour and the dark fingernails. It should just get better with age.
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch

perke_patch

March 12, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8421723

this one is ubeaut x banana split. The picture doesn't show the true yellow colouring in this one. It is so lovely and will get nicer with age I'm sure.

We had a lovely day. My instructions last night when planning this trip was that we had no room for more broms so don't buy any. This morning his edict had changed to "if there are any nice foliage vriseas I could get a couple and I will find room for them." So I followed instructions and got 6 and there was no agro when we got home. I think he was happy with his new babies.

Thumbnail by perke_patch

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8422542

Hello all. Beautiful pictures. I have more additions to my "collection" I think it has become a small collection now with around 80 broms and 14 tillandsias.
The latest are Till. juncea and Till. velutina plus 2 pups of the cute little Neo. liliputiana. Havent taken their photo yet but the stripes are quite lovely on the neo.
Jean.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 3:35 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8423325

Went out and took some pics. This is Till. velutina
Darn, photo wasnt allowed . I'll try again.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 3:39 PM

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8423329

Till. juncea.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8423333

Try again, Till. velutina

Thumbnail by 77sunset

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

March 13, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8425463

Nice pics Jean. I'm going to start a new thread if able to stay signed in long enough
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164337/
follow the link

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America