Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cameo Elegance Comparison Trial

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

On January 3rd I planted 4 containers of Morning Glories, using four seeds in each. I had soaked them in water for two days before planting. They are outside (I'm in Cocoa Beach, FL). It has been unusually cool here but some did germinate. The planting medium is commercial potting soil Fafard 3B which I purchased at Ace Hardware. The four containers are labeled Cameo Elegance from Burpee, Beni Chidori from 2007 trade, Cameo Elegance from Swallowtail Gardens and Mini-Bar Rose from Parks. The containers are 32 oz. yogurt containers and receive the same amount of water and sunlight. These first pictures were taken today. I will try to update pictures weekly. And in case you noticed I did attach the signs to the containers with my quilting pins.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Beni-Chidori. This one looks the best. All four seeds germinated.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Its a tie between Parks and Burpee with two seeds each germinating. This is Mini Bar Rose.

Thumbnail by mittsy

and Burpee's Cameo Elegance

Thumbnail by mittsy

Cameo Elegance seed from Swallowtail Gardens isn't showing any activity as of today. The current temperature is 58 with rain and a high for today predicted at 68. I will post weekly, so next pictures on Monday the 24th.

Thumbnail by mittsy
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Excellant! And thanks! Gosh the seeds from your mail box mix grew inside and bloomed and gave seeds to me. Starting on the next little pot of seeds from that packet now. These were the 2009 seeds you sent.

it is interesting that the trade seeds came up first and look the best. makes one wonder how old the seeds are in the big box/seed catalogs are.

My sentiments exactly!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Mittsy - Awesome job!!! Your seedlings are looking great! Love your labels, too! :-)

Yes ... I was thinking the same thing ... how old are those seeds from Swallowtail Gardens...

I don't know, but the Beni Chidori were labeled 2007. They could still germinate as it has been unusually cool here. I'm going to give them some more time before marking them duds.

I've had some that took months to germinate, so I definitely wouldn't write them off yet. The seeds should stay good for many years, so unless something happened during the soaking period, I would think that they will eventually germinate and grow. It will be interesting to see the leaves, growth habits, and blooms on each of them. Are you going to separate each vine out or keep each cultivar together in the same container?

I haven't gotten that far, but I did think I would isolate them by sending them off to different locations to keep them from cross pollinating. Many condo dwellers have patios and would help me out in my field trial. I belong to a group of gardeners that are called the NightBloomers. We meet in the evening at the local library and share cuttings and info. It's a very nice group of local people. I'll bring it up and see what they think. Several are Master Gardeners.

Week two
Beni Chidori

Thumbnail by mittsy

Week two
Mini Bar Rose

Thumbnail by mittsy

Week 2
Burpee's Cameo Elegance

Thumbnail by mittsy

Week Two
Swallowtail Garden's Cameo Elegance

Thumbnail by mittsy

I probably planted too soon as our weather has been cooler and much wetter and windier than usual. I will not bring them inside. No matter what the weather brings they will stay outside. I did try to move them into a more protected location where they will get more sunshine. Time will tell. Any comments?

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Mittsy,

Your seedling here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8332869
does not have all of its root in the soil.
You might take a toothpick and gently set it in the soil so it doesn't dry out and die

Mittsy - Is there a plant in the Burpee's Cameo Elegance cup? I can't see it.

Yes ... this winter weather has been very unpredictable. None of the MGs I had outside survived. Only the ones growing indoors under lights are still growing and blooming for me. Did you have any seeds left of each cultivar? I am thinking if these current vines don't do too well, you could always start more in the Spring.

I would cover them with a thin layer of vermiculite just for root coverage and extra insulation against the cold. I think it is great that overall they are showing some germination for the zone you are in outside. Just my 2 cents worth. If my lap top was working I would show you some beautiful blooms of the mitsys mail box blooms I have going on here.. ( inside)

What you see is what you get, nothing in the Burpee's cup this week. I do have some seeds left.

I'll add soi to the root that is exposed.

It will be exciting to see how they grow.

Mittsy - Since the weather has warmed up, I was wondering if yours are doing a little better and putting out some new growth?

Mesilla Park, NM

Great documentation of your seed growing on Cameo Elegance.

On the one that Becky asked if there was a seed in Burpee cup? That cup had a set of cotyledons in the first photo, was it an albino, it had a label that said Burpee? did it die or did the labels get mixed ? Also, it could be i"m seeing things..

Let me know if you need anymore seeds for the Burpee's strain Jan 17 at 6:04 AM. This is the post that has a photo of a cotyledon in the cup, I don't know what the label say's though, I have to go enlarge the photo.

I think they died as the stems are still visible. It went to 71 yesterday so if it continues to warm up, I'll try planting more seeds. The labels weren't mixed. I was very careful about the labeling, both the cup rim and my engraved labels. I have 2 seeds left. Of the others,I have 1 seed Cameo Elegance from Swallowtail gardens and 6 seeds from Parks Minibar Rose. No more from Beni Chidori.

Only two pictures today
Mini Bar Rose

Thumbnail by mittsy

Swallowtail Gardens Cameo Elegance

I"m soaking the last two seeds of Cameo Elegance from Parks, which I will plant tomorrow.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Very nice, Mittsy!!! They look like they are surviving and will possibly start taking off very soon! Just keep them protected if we get a cold front. Don't want those fragile babies freezing! :-)

Took these pictures today. Still only two containers showing any plants. The rim of the pot has more info and the engraved signs are clearly readable. Still cooler than normal here. No sign of germination on the last two seeds I planted but i did find a surprise growing at the base of my banana clump. See next posting.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Unknown morning glory volunteer, either a bird drop or one from my Mittsy's mailbox mix from last May.

Thumbnail by mittsy

The only sign of spring is my double pink Kalanchoe. Looking pretty good! Tomato seedlings are growing very slowly. Have limited seeds with me so hesitate to plant any more until it really starts to warm up.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Mittsy - Your seedlings are looking great! They will start taking off very soon! And what a nice surprise to see a volunteer sprouting. I have several volunteer MGs sprouting in their original pots, too! They are growing with poppies! Should be interesting to see how that combo looks! LOL!

Your double pink Kalanchoe are beautiful! I had Kalanchoe plants for many years, but the frost got them a couple years ago. Yours are the first pink blooms I've seen!

Beautiful Kalanchoe and a great journey on the seed experiment.

Mesilla Park, NM

Mittsy, I'll be sending you some more next week, give me a couple of days to dig them up again. Take your time in sowing them and don't worry about results, I'll send enough for you to play with.. Should I mail to the same address? Let me know.
A.

Thank you, yes we are still in Cocoa Beach until May.

Mesilla Park, NM

Sent seeds out Tuesday, sent you a Dmail.

Good luck
A.

week 5
Cameo Elegance Swallowtail Gardens seed

Thumbnail by mittsy

week 5 same plant close up

Thumbnail by mittsy

week 5 Mini-Bar Rose

It started to rain and the blurry spot was caused by a raindrop. I have also planted more seeds that I recently received from Antoinette. Thanks. Hope they'll germinate soon.

The volunteer seedling is now starting to climb the banana tree. When it blooms if it is not spectacular, it will be removed as I do not want cross pollination with the test plants.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Looking really good!

Mittsy - Those babies are doing great! As the mini-bar rose continues to grow, we will be able to compare leaves and growth and blooms with the Cameo Elegance! Great experiment!!! :-) :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.