Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Botany Quiz: Which pair of these plants belong to the same family?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 11, Views: 287
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8315251

There are a total of 173 votes:

Lettuce and Goldenrod
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Asparagus and Tiger Lilies
(12 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Carrots and Celery
(15 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Roses and Apples
(76 votes, 43%)
Red dot

All of the above.
(53 votes, 30%)
Red dot

None of the above.
(13 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous PollsAll of the above! Lettuce and Goldenrod both belong to the Asteraceae family. Asparagus and Tiger Lilies belong to the Lilium family. Carrots and Celery belong to the Apiaceae family and Roses and Apples both belong to the Roseceae family.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8315300

Ticked "All of the above" and got my point but it actually isn't true any more . . . ;-)

Tiger Lily is in Liliaceae, but Asparagus is now placed in the family Asparagaceae

So #1, #3 and #4 are pairs in the same families, but not #2. Sorry!

Resin

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8315325

Thanks for the update! I had a couple that I tossed out because of new classifications, but missed this one!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8315528

Oh, well, hard to keep up with a moving target. The important thing is that we all learned something and enjoyed the process.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8315817

I knew roses and apples were the same, and celery and carrots. If two were related then it had to be all, y'know?

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8315940

I reasoned like carrielamont so I said all of the above. This is the first botany quiz I have ever gotten right, well almost!
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8319139

I never liked asparagus as a lily, anyway. It behaves more like a fern. I don't know enough about it's anatomy, physiology, or genetics to say more. I guess I'm a few centuries behind! ;-) Off to grep/google for asparagus...

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8319410

[quote="holeth"]I never liked asparagus as a lily, anyway. It behaves more like a fern. I don't know enough about it's anatomy, physiology, or genetics to say more. I guess I'm a few centuries behind! ;-) Off to grep/google for asparagus...[/quote]

Not at all like a fern, it is a flowering plant, whereas ferns are flowerless and spore-bearing! Reasonably close to lilies, but sufficiently distinct to get its own family.

Resin
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

January 20, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8320783

Nobody asked me if this was okay to change? Who are these people that decide to change things? Frustrating as all heck.

Work so hard to figure all this stuff out, somewhat learn it and then they change things up. What is a person to do? Just joking everyone.

Elaine and Otis
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8320934

I'm sorry, Resin. My novice knowledge seems to have a talent for hitting your nerves. I've seen berry- like structures on wild asparagus, but never seen flowers. Every time I've cultivated it, i've only been able to purchase all-male roots/rhizomes...I don't know botanically what kind of structures they have... (I know that a crocus is a corm, not a bulb, & most people who buy crocuses by the bag@ megalomart or home station don't care...but their yards look beautiful in the spring.)

If you snap at people every time they're wrong, they won't want to learn. If your purpose is to educate, share the knowledge. The correction will be self-evident when you provide the new information.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

January 20, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8321083

Okay - No need for this to get uncomfortable. Play nice.

Resin - Your knowledge is appreciated and it is kind of you to enlighten all of us.

That being said - I am assuming that you didn't mean to single out one person for their opinion. This is how we all learn and we are all different and have different views. Sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted when we don't have the benefit of body language or tone.

holeth - Your knowledge is far greater than mine and that is why I love DG and the varying opinions of people. I generally sit on the sidelines, read and learn. I appreciate your honesty and hope that the remark made was not intended to demean you at all. DG is filled with all kinds of people whose knowledge varies from total beginner to Master Gardeners and experts. We generally all blend together very well.

Sorry if I stepped on toes. That was not my intention.

Happy gardening ^_^.

Elaine and Otis
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8324304

Mine was more of a guess than a vote.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America