Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Begonias: "Sinbad", "Lady Brown" and "Emerald Glow"

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 15, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8315453

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to begonias, but brand new to posting on DG. I tried to do this a few minutes ago and something happened so here goes again. I have had trouble with the three in the subject line and am wondering if anyone is growing them successfully and if so what is working for you. Sinbad looked beautiful until I had to bring it inside. Then PM struck and it was all downhill from there. Since reading some of these forums I have read a bit about Milstop. (I googled it and the company that makes it is right up the street from my office). I am definitely trying some of that, although I do wish it came in a smaller quantity.
Last year I ordered "Lady Brown" and "Emerald Glow" from Kartuz and they are still alive but barely. It is my 3rd "Lady Brown". First one died, they replaced it but shipped the replacement during the hottest week last summer and for some reason it took 6 days to get here. Needless to say, it was in tough shape. Ordered again and it came in good shape but was very tall. It is under lights, with a humidity tent over the stand. Once, I let it get a little too dry and it looked a little wilted and that was it. The few leaves it has are now yellowed but it put out small flowers. "Emerald Glow" is in the same stand and just looks pathetic, very few leaves. They are both potted in a peat/perlite mix and I water when dry. I really like the two from Kartuz and would like to figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8315670

You are two hours away from Taylor Greenhouses in Portland. They have beautiful begonias and offer larger sizes at their greenhouse.
Kartuz has a wonderful selection, but their begonias are very small. I order from Kartuz for the rare ones, drive to Logees for their November $5 begonia sale, and get the rest from Taylor.
I overwinter in a greenhouse, spray Cease and Milstop every week and the mallet begonias still pout. Butch (hcmcdole) may have the secret. As for the Milstop, ask if they have any samples available. If you buy the bucket, move the majority into a ziplock for storage. Mine got a little damp and clumped.
If you are ever in the Albany area, I'd be happy to share cuttings. I have many cane and shrub begonias, as well as others.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8316099

Thanks so much for the reply... I really appreciate it. I have ordered from Taylor, good stuff. I thought about making the road trip this summer. I am a little less than an hour from Rob's Violet Farm too . I ordered begonias from them this past summer with success. I know they have some larger plants in the shop and plan to make the drive there next month and then again toward spring when I can really buy. I need to save some light space to start my dahlias!!! I think I may need more lights. My husband will have a stroke!
I have ordered from Logee's too but not in a while. How far is Logees from you? I will have to google Amsterdam NY.
I am supposed to call the guy from Bioworks (Milstop) tomorrow when I am back at work. I will ask him if they have a sample size. I had actually planned to ask him that myself and why their product is so difficult to find! They seem like a really good group of people. I read somewhere on their site that the product (Milstop) is good for 2 years, of course that is from the date it was "produced".
Wow, I would love to find another begonia fan to see their "collections". Haven't found one here in Rochester. I am actually from the Albany area...East Greenbush NY. Who would believe there is a town called East Greenbush...I know there are other "Greenbushes" too, just can't remember them.
Very glad I finally become a subscriber to this group. I have learned a lot from these forums. Thanks so much again!
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8316100

Wait, forgot to ask...what is Butch's secret????
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8316142

No secrets. I haven't had Emerald Glow so can't offer any advice on it. Mildew is the biggest problem among mallet begonias (Sinbad, Pink Minx, Benigo, Lynda Dawn, Maurice Amey, Don Miller, and others) come cool weather. Lynda Dawn died before fall even came two years ago due to mildew.

Milstop doesn't kill mildew spores entirely but it does keep it in check with weekly or every two weeks. I've noticed it on other cane begonias too such as Lucerna and Lois Burks. All large polka dot cane begonias seem susceptible too. Spray the stems as well as the leaves. Remove any leaf that shows mildew so it won't have a breeding ground. If I had brighter lights for uncut canes I feel confident that the mildew problem would be a lot less. Next year I will probably cut all my canes low so they can all go under lights instead of standing on the floor next to shelves with lights.

It all depends on where you keep it for winter. In a warm house with bright light you are probably good but a cool place like a basement is a friend to mildew. My SInbad seems to be healtlhy but almost devoid of leaves since I removed every one of them early on so the new ones are small and few but the canes are plump and healthy.

Here is Sinbad in mid October (two weeks before bringing indoors). Not a happy plant.
I had Lady Brown two years ago and it was quite a performer in summer but lost it in winter. I probably didn't water it enough to keep it going. It did not seem to be affected by mildew like Sinbad.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8316143

And 3 months earlier.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8316163

Butch will appear at some point. He is the begonia master.
Logee's is about 3+ hours from Amsterdam, but only 35 minutes from WPI where my son attends college. Worcester is also close to Tower Hill where the Buxton Begonia society hosts some events.
I work in Albany with people from East Greenbush, a very popular suburb.
Seriously, if you are ever in the area stop by. I have about 200 or so begonias, as well as other tropical plants. The greenhouse is 20 x 36 and stocked to the rafters, literally. I used to get the Dahlias through a co-op group I belong to, but there is never enough room in the greenhouse.
You know, I think there is an adenium grower near Rob, if you are interested. I'm about 40 minutes from Lyndon Lyon in Dolgeville. And only 20 minutes from Piping Rock Orchids. I take cash to both places, empty my pockets, my wallet and the seat cushions.
A picture of one of my dragon wings this summer.

Thumbnail by dbsmith2

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8316179

I prefer the easier canes. As Butch says, mallets are difficult to overwinter. My Sinbad is a stump. I got Pink Minx, Maurice Amey, Margaritacea, and another one whose name escapes me, at Logee's open house in November. Even with leaving them in the pots, putting them on a bench with air flow, bumping the temp up to 65 and spraying every week, they are losing leaves.
This is either Nokomis or Elizabeth Lahn, canes I highly recommend (Lauray of Salibury)

Thumbnail by dbsmith2

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8316200

The last pic reminds me of Lana. Too many similar begonias, huh?
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8316264

You know, I have 2 Lanas, and they just aren't thriving. Nokomis and Elizabeth Lahn grow like weeds.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8316590

WOW! Not thriving?

It is such a stunning cane and grows so well for me.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8316715

I got them both from the same guy on ebay and they just sit in the pots, one leaf each, about 3 inches tall. I got one in August 09 and one in June 10. As a superba, the 09 should be out of the 4" pot by now. I changed potting mixes again, and I'm supposedly getting all the clay pots from an old nursery, so I'm going to change them over in the spring. But if they don't do anything this summer, I'll buy another one.
Hey, the begonia society is taking a trip to Peace Tree and I can order whatever I want. Suggestions?
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8317850

Thanks for the tip on a couple "easier" canes. Beautiful pictures! I definitely want to get some canes again. Hopefully I will have better success with some of the easier varieties and Milstop. I spoke to the guy from Bioworks today and he was surprised I didn't have better luck with the copper spray I was using (Concern). Does anyone use copper sprays successfully? By the way, I asked him about sample sizes of Milstop and it doesn't sound like that is going to happen; they primarily supply product for commercial use and I don't think that is changing.
Question, when Sinbad gets ratty, do you toss it or does it come back once back outside? I think I may have given up on some Rex's too early in the past, maybe Sinbad too.
Any other suggestions on canes you've had good luck with would be appreciated!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8317906

I would try and get Sinbad and rexes through the winter - they will perform once it is warm again. If it is too much trouble then toss it. I've been able to find Sinbad almost every year for several years. It runs about $5 for a gallon size. It is becoming a great annual (except it is not as available as Dragon Wings).

Another spray/dust that lots of folks say work great on most fungal diseases is sulfur if you can find it. Cheap and effective from what I've read.

If I had an effective spray a couple of years ago I would've tried it on Lynda Dawn. This one died before it even got cold (September) from a bad case of mildew. It is the dark beauty in the back of this pot.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8317949

Lynda Dawn is a beauty! What is the begonia right in the center front? It looks like one I picked up in a propagation course I took last winter. It has been beautiful and in flower pretty much since the cutting rooted. It is even blooming away under lights.
This forum has been great and everyone has been so helpful.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8318020

The one in the center is odorata with large green leaves and small white fragrant flowers. The fuzzy leafed one is Ikon Blush.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America