Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Winter Survival for Northern Birds: feeders

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Survival for Northern Birds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Survival for Northern BirdsReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dordee
Silex, MO

January 17, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8315839

We had a heavy snow and it rapidly covered the railing where I feed my birds. Didn't want to go out in the snow to get one so I improvised. Found 2 tall flower pots and 2 pieces of 4 x 4 and had 2 pieces of plexiglas so I set the pots about 18" apart and stacked the 4 x 4's and layed the plexiglas on top. Then I laid a couple of heavey boards on top to keep all from blowing away. Instant bird feeder for the cardinals and others who cannot deal with thistle sacks. It took them a couple of minutes to get used to this new thing and then it was covered with birds. Even the doves came to it and they are about the most timid birds around. Even got a pair of bluebirds. So if you get a sudden snowfall, look around for things laying around the house, garage and you are bound to find something that will work and it doesn't cost you anything.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8315890

That's a great idea, I'm sure they all appreciated it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Survival for Northern Birds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! Lily_love 1 Dec 13, 2008 1:46 PM
Great Article! gabagoo 1 Dec 13, 2008 5:00 PM
water cathy4 1 Dec 13, 2008 5:01 PM
Another great article Marna! dellrose 3 Dec 13, 2008 11:38 PM
Happy Birthday, Marna! beckygardener 3 Dec 14, 2008 3:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America