Saving Seeds and Germination Rates

Ithaca, NY

I'm trying to find a list that tells me which seeds are worth saving year to year. For instance, I think most lettuce seed will last about 3 years with decent germination rates. Some seeds aren't worth saving because the germination will be very poor. Anyone have such a list or can give me some ideas. Thanks ZWD131

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Here is a reference that may be of use to you.

http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm

Ithaca, NY

Perfect - Thank you. zwd131

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

OK, and keep in mind that it is just a guideline. I have germinated many seeds beyond the limits of those dates, as I have saved seeds when I was unable to garden. Even some tomatoes from 1989! So do a germination test if you have enough of them to spare and then you can figure out if they are worth the effort or not. I know that old cosmos seeds did not germinate, but possibly others may...so I have not yet thrown out all my old cosmos seeds! (A confessed seed-hoarder!)

~ Evelyn

Ithaca, NY

Thanks again. I had to take 8 years off (work travel) so I started anew last year with all fresh seeds. Here in upstate NY there is still plenty of snow on the ground but germination testing gives me something to do in February. Gardening fever is already beginning. zwd131

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.