Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Meadowsweet: your last sentence...

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Meadowsweet
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet MeadowsweetReplies: 23, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fiwit
Lebanon, GA

January 18, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8316613

...made me smile :)
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

January 18, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8316649

That last sentence does paint a delightful picture of the little darling you were as well as of inventive child we all wish we had for a friend when we were young.

Going back a bit, I would like to add that your question about what we can learn about simple things is so true.

Thank you for a very lovely, sweet article. JK
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8316673

Another great story. I loved that that last line, too.

Thanks.

Don
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8316728

Y'all missed the part where I had to sit on a pillow...

But thank you for reading the story.
I was a lucky little girl to have grown up where I did and when I did, but even more fortunate as an adult to be able to compile my memories in such a way that they can be shared. All it takes is a plant, or an old linen napkin, or the scent of almonds, or the blue feather of a bird, and my mind is off and running. In the winter months, it's the hickory smoke scent that triggers the memories. There were hickory trees everywhere. But that's another story for another time.

Thank you! Stay warm.
fiwit
Lebanon, GA

January 18, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8316775

No, I simply IGNORED the part where you had to sit on a pillow... I remember that feeling
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

January 18, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8316792

I didn't miss the part about you needing to sit on a pillow because you ruined your mother's prized table cloth (and got spanked). For me, that doesn't take away from the overall impression of you. I think most of us are crazy about the adorable child that you were. JK
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8316827

Gumption. Ninna called it gumption. She always said, "She's got more gumption than she knows what to do with."
I doubt that any of them would have said 'adorable'...

But thank you, sure made me smile out loud!!

I sat on a lot of pillows, Fiwit. I remember them all.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 18, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8317102

Hey Sharran! We have articles on the same day today! Your articles always make me smile.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

January 18, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8317735

I've read somewhere that some tribes of Indians used willow bark (salix) for the same pain and fever relieving properties. Did Aunt Bett use it in her remedies, too?

I was not familiar with meadowsweet, so I've learned more from you today!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 18, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8317861

Not familiar with the plant, either. But I enjoyed your article.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8318025

I saw that Gloria!!! Always fun when that happens. I love your articles.

Yes, Dolly, Aunt Bett did use willow bark, sort of like aspirin. I think I have an article about it somewhere around here. I'll see if I can find it.

Hi Iris...thank you!! Sure hope you are staying warm up there!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8318036

Dolly...here you are, the willow and aspirin:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2006/
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8318165

Thanks for the introduction to meadowsweet. It seems like a nice one to have growing somewhere in the garden.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8318243

This was a fun read. Totally pain-free learning. :-).
Has anyone seen variegated meadowsweet? I want to add meadowsweet to the fragrant wildflower area, but I can't decide whether to plant the straight species or hunt down the variegated type for a little extra visual interest.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

January 18, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8318276

I heard a nurseryman/garden expert say that in the days before one could buy root starter powder, professional gardeners used willow for the task. They would cut willow twigs into pieces, let them soak in water (don't know for how long), then use the water as a "starter." They would dip cuttings in the water, which served the purpose. He also said if one wishes to start new willow trees, the cut pieces of willow will root nicely in a damp medium, however, you have to be careful to plant the "down" side down, meaning the end closer to the start of the long, hanging branch.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8318310

Hi June,
Good to see you, thanks!

Kay, you'll find I'm a firm believer in pain free learning every time! But I've never seen variegated meadowsweet.

True, Dolly...I still use willow 'tea' as a starter. Also true about starting the down side down!
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

January 19, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8318677

Sharon, what did Adaylilyfan call you - an "inventive" child? now that's a kind adjective and am sure your mother would have agreed with her (too bad you can't hear me laughing up here). Dollykat, you may have meadowsweet growing somewhere over your way. A friend in Ross County gave me a start years and years ago, and while it's a slow spreader, I do keep an eye on it. It doesn't really like our type of soil. I've never seen it growing in pastures or fence rows here, not that there's many fence rows left. I know it as "Queen of The Meadow". Whatever you call it, tomorrow mine will have 4 to 6-7" of new snow on top of it. Sigh.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8318766

I think adaylilyfan was being kind.

And 'strewn'. I like that word.
'Her room was strewn with meadowsweet, and across her bed were strewn rose petals.'

You reckon people might look askance at me if I said that out loud?

Thanks Kate! You stay warm up there. This weather for sure is not for the faint of heart!

'And she shall strew rose petals wherever she goes...'
Yep, it's a good word.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 19, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8318906

Dollykat: Ive used River Willow water to root new plants. It works very well. I found a stash of it where a guy was making twig style furniture. He was s oaking some of the larger branches in buckets so that he could bend them to make the furniture. I collected some of the smaller branches and experimented with willow water.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

January 20, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8320775

In the play Hamlet, Ophelia tries to hang her flowers on the droopingg branches of a willow "aslant a brook." She falls in, drowns, and at her "obsequies," Hamlet's mother Gertrude says she had thought she would have "strewn" the "marriage bed" of Ophelia and Hamlet, not that she would be dropping flowers into Ophelia's open grave, saying "Sweets to the sweet." I wonder if the flowers were meadowsweet? Shakespeare used lots of flower imagery in Hamlet, including in this scene in Act V. All this comes to mind, Sharran, in your mention of Queen Elizabeth, meadowsweet, and now the willow discussion.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8321337

Maybe so, Dolly.
You are better acquainted with English lit than I am, though I do remember quotes from time to time. And words. I like some of the words.

And Shakespeare, as I remember, did use a lot of flower imagery in many of his works.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8327271

Sharon,
What fun growing up with such spectecular curiosity about the world around you. Every time now when I take an aspirin I will think of meadowsweet.
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

January 24, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8327297

Me again. Of course, I don't know all of the details. I only know what I read. I meant that you were an inventive child in a good way. Wouldn't everyone's lives have been boring without their little Sharon to liven things up? I think gumption is a good thing too. JK
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8327580

Maria,
Thank you so much! I still have that curiosity, I just try to keep it under control.

JK,
I knew what you meant...made me smile!!
Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Meadowsweet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Meadowsweet LAS14 7 Mar 28, 2011 8:20 PM
Special occasion flower 3pmp 1 Jan 24, 2011 11:33 AM
meadowsweet 31537 4 Jan 28, 2011 10:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America