Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Seed starting, bulb question ...

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8317305

I am kind of new to this, but I have two - 4' T8 fixtures and GE Ecolux 32w 'Sunshine' 5000K bulbs.
My husband has extras from when we built our shop last year & I thought maybe they would work for seed germination.
Will these bulbs work if I use 1 fixture per seed tray?
art33
Florissant, MO

January 19, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8319776

From reading your post I can't be sure whether each of your fixtures has one or two bulbs. Last year was my first year to grow from seed and I used exactly what you have described here. My T8 bulbs were the Sunshine 5000K bulbs, but I had two bulbs in each 4 foot fixture. They did an excellent job, my seeds germinated very well and the plants grew like crazy under those lights! Also, it's nice that the T8's use only 80% as much electricity as the older T12's.
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8320411

Yes sowsow ... there are 2 bulbs in each 4' fixture. So it sounds like these will work. I wasn't sure because I don't know anything about bulbs, but sounds like these should be perfect. Especially nice that I don't have to go buy anything lol Thanks for your help. I've never grown seeds this way but should be much easier than having them in the house.
trc65
Galesburg, IL

January 20, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8321034

They will work just fine. Remember to keep the lights within a few inches of the germinating seeds/plants. FYI for those needing to purchase bulbs - you don't need to spend a lot of money on specialty "grow" bulbs. For germination and seedling growth cool white bulbs will do just as well for a lot lower price. They produce most of their light in the "blue" spectrum which is what young plants need for vegetative growth.
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8337866

holy whippersnappers! I have marigold seedlings & lots of them! Whoo hoo! The lights are working Yay! :)
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8392512

Well my babies are all doing SO GOOD! Who knew it was so easy!? :D
Warmth + light + water = PLANT lol yay!!

these are cherry maters

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America