Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Begonias: Begonia beginner - pls help

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 5, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8317523

Two summers ago we divided my grandmother's begonia which she had grown for years indoors in a north-facing window - it thrived but was too big for the pot. Our divisions did well until recently; the biggest division even flowered last spring. Now, however, they are all showing similar symptoms:

Outer leaves begin to darken and dry at edges. Eventually they shrivel completely.

The new growth looks fine, but eventually it does the same thing.

We are careful not to overwater - we let the plants dry out and then give them water without letting them stand in it. They are all in north-facing windows without too much direct sunlight.

Could someone please advice us how to help our plants?
Thanks!
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8317532

Photo #1

Thumbnail by Peckhaus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8317534

Photo #2

Thumbnail by Peckhaus

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8317920

Did you move it recently? Sounds like you grew it indoors year round and it did fine for a year so I wonder what changed.

Can you move them to a sunnier window? If not you might try artificial light. How dry do you let it get? Don't let it dry out too much but don't let it stay wet either. A lot of rhizomatous are putting out new growth at this time and old ratty leaves should be or could be pinched off.
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8318968

hcmcdole, thanks for your reply. No, it hasn't been moved and it has, indeed, been indoors year round. We also can't figure out what has changed!

I usually let the surface get bone dry and then water thoroughly without letting it stand in water. Once in a while, I fertilize with a diluted fertilizer. It is producing new leaves, but it's losing tons of bigger ones at the same time. My mom and I have divisions from the same original plant in separate houses; yet both have the same symptoms.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8319023

I wouldn't let it get bone dry for one thing and most rhizomatous will lose their older leaves in a year or less. Removing older uglier leaves should encourage new growth. Anyway you might try a plastic lid over the entire pot to help keep the humidity high which might help.

Here is a pot of Shamus that has some older, damaged (ugly) leaves and a flush of new growth a few days ago. I've debated on whether to keep the old leaves on for possible progation at a convenient time or remove and discard them.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America