Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sweet Meadowsweet: Meadowsweet

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Meadowsweet
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet MeadowsweetReplies: 7, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

January 18, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8317854

I'm wondering if this is the same meadowsweet that takes over open areas and berry patches at our place in Maine. The flowers look right. For us it's an invasive species. Too bad it's winter and I'm in Massachusetts or I'd send a picture. Anyway, do you find this plant invasive?

LAS
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8318048

It could very well be invasive in your area, LAS. It has to be controlled here. It isn't nearly as bad as Creeping Charlie or Ajuga, though.

Here are some facts I found about it in Plant Files:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2038/
VtRoots6440
Montpelier, VT

January 18, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8318280

Wondering if Meadow Sweet (the towering pink) found wild all over New England in wet lands is the same as what many of us call "Queen of the Prairie" ~ looking alot like a giant Astible? I have both in my home garden & summer camp (tall against log fence in a small boggy area of rotten leaves, but not doing so well anymore as it's popping up and sharing root space with raspberry Bee Balm and the whole scene is getting rather messy. Both fighting root space and getting crazy in my 24 x 6 ft. front garden at home w/Ell fence going down the driveway. As beautiful as is, the 6 ft. dying monsters over the 4th of July, I'm growing tired of it's need of mega water, where Bee Balm is a dryer plant. Never had a great plan; but even 15 yrs. ago, got caught up in the early zoom of plant natives. Have had severe problems with both Catmint (roots to hell) along with Lady Belles that appear from the Campanula family but is really Andophora Ladie Bells (so beautiful) that have, after 2 yrs, many giant white sweet potatoe sized roots, smaller ones and WHITE roots that can fill the bottom and sicken a 10 ft. X5 foot raised bed of veggines within 2 yrs.

Don't ever plant anything with pure white roots; they are THUGS. All sold at major plant magazines that use words like "vigorous", "reaching", "plentiful", "great fill-ins", and whatever else I've forgotton. All weeds have white roots; ajuga & bishops weeds have pure white roots, which I've been able to control with sharp serraited knife, black pastic, & boiling water with a cup of vinegar. (I go tally organic!)

Meadow Sweet, 5 yrs. currently at gardening centers may be probagated from the wild to more manageable: Good luck and enjoy ~ me thinks it comes from the wild of "Queen of the Prairie."

CKL from the "Cap" of VT ~ Montpelier.

P.S. Plant NOTHING w/pure white roots.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8318317

Good advice, Roots...I hadn't noticed that about white roots, but now that I think about it, you are right. Without a picture I'm not sure what you are growing up there and I'm not sure it matches the meadowsweet that I know. Could be, though, maybe a giant version. Sounds pretty with the raspberry bee balm, but not so pretty when it dies.

Hope you get it all under control.
I'll for sure remember your white root advice.
Thank you!
gardeninglady
Boothbay Harbor, ME

January 24, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8328619

My garden has been vandalized by what I am sure is this plant, which I put in almost 10 years ago; and I love(d) it. Now all I have to do is look into the center of some desirable, and there is this pretty fern-like leaf or two, just started, looking up at me. Now, as the others, I'll have to check the roots come spring (if we ever get rid of our snow) to see what they look like.
Thanks "Roots".
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8328685

Sorrrrry, gardeninglady...that happens sometimes!

Let me know what happens.
Needle-nosed pliers work well for digging up roots!
gardeninglady
Boothbay Harbor, ME

March 28, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8457167

Thanks Sharran. You'll note that clearly I forgot to check back in for replies. The needle-nose pliers sound like a grand idea. They're the best idea I've been given yet. As soon as mud season and a return to winter-like weather have blown away in the late March winds, I'll get down to that. Again, thanks a bunch! Happy spring to you.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8457385

Glad it's a good idea.
Sometimes I totally run out of good ideas!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Meadowsweet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
your last sentence... fiwit 23 Jan 24, 2011 9:06 AM
Special occasion flower 3pmp 1 Jan 24, 2011 11:33 AM
meadowsweet 31537 4 Jan 28, 2011 10:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America