Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

January 19, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8318565

Friend of mine told me about these and said i should get them,does anyone have them,i have several streps i can trade for or lots of cutttig of gesneriad,im just starting out in begonias so im a newbie and dont have trade material of begonias

thanks

JIM
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8321025

JIM,

They are a bit fussy to grow at times and harder than most begonias to propagate. Maybe someone can trade with you.

Try the following sites:

http://www.mountainorchids.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=197&cPath=15

eBay

[HYPERLINK@www.violetbarn.com]

http://www.taylorgreenhouses.com/begonia-green-jewel.html

If you ever get a chance to go to PHOE then you will see how to grow them like weeds.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8321504

Butch-
I'm throwing away silver and emerald after looking at that picture. Mine have a few snotty leaves after 1 year of being treated like royalty. What is PHOE doing? Besides being in Florida...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8321766

That's the key db. It is deep south Florida and they have a lot of their greenhouses carpeted with Jewels under the benches. Don't throw away your Jewels, pick off the worst leaves, keep watered, and they should be okay. My imperialis has no cover this year and is doing pretty good (a few older leaves are dried at the edges which makes it ratty looking) but I do have Green, Brown, and Silver Jewels all under some kind of cover. My Brown Jewel hasn't grown much at all in two years though.

Here is Silver Jewel that I grow under a large cake dome (the large cakes I get at Sam's Club always have the prize after the cake is gone - a perfect terrarium for smaller plants or at least a cover for an ice bucket) 3 days ago.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8321773

Same plant in the cake container under lights.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8321777

Green Jewel was looking terrible so I put it in a terrarium. Still has a couple of bad looking leaves.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8321780

Imperialis outdoors. Lens cap is almost 3 inches across.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

January 21, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8322265

I plan on growing a few in a greenhouse,those free standing ones that you put indoors
maybe i wont go after these,they were suggestions, i really like the old fashioned kinds like the beefsteak and now i hear its called e something (im not up on names yet but i will be
i know i wanna get madame queen and bunchii ive got a friend with those and ill still with some of the easier rexes and some of the rhizomes ones,
thanks all i cant wait to learn all about these begonias,just tossing this out but i grow a lot of gessies and mostly streps and if anyone wants to do a trade i be up for it

JIM
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8322433

Madame Queen is not an easy one to grow (I've tried it many times and now on the 4th one) but Muddy Waters which looks very similar is a lot easier in my opinion and I haven't lost it yet (3rd winter). Stick with the beefsteaks (Erythorphylla) and Bunchii (can be picky at times) to begin with.

Here is Muddy Waters.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

January 21, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8322545

i like it,ill try to get that one when it warms up

JIM
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8323205

The question is how to replicate the conditions of south Florida in my greenhouse. But, given that it is going to be 5 to 10 below zero for the next 3 nights, I think my replication experiment will have to be on hold. The heating system in the greenhouse is a major drawback - forced hot air. Dries up the air and leaves me with cold and hot spots. I'm going to go with under the bench heating as soon as I figure out how to do it economically.
The aquariums in the basement, with an ambient temperature of about 50, are perfect for the rexes. I would have thought that they like a warmer temp. I certainly do.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8323220

I second the warmer temps...below zero here this weekend too! Thinking about the day when I can put my begonias outside seems soooo far away!
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8323266

So Shifty, were you able to get the Milstop?
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2011
1:23 AM

Post #8323595

Butch, your pics are always so beautiful. Here is my pic of Emerald Jewel. I put it in the orchidarium for the pic. It always stays under lights and regular room conditions (45% humidity for now). It does have a few leaves with brown edges though.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8324382

db, I just need to call and I can order it and pick it up. I told the guy from Bioworks that if I order, it will be closer to spring. Right now I do not have any PM. The only reason I am hesitating is that I have to buy the $79, 5 gallon bucket. I am sure I can put some of it to use in the garden this summer too. The active ingredient in Milstop is potassium bicarbonate and I did notice that some of the organic products from Pharm have this as well. Not sure what I am going to do. He was discussing Cease (sp) with me as well which I think you use. If I had a greenhouse it would be a different story. Still going to try some canes this spring, whatever I decide.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8324524

I don't think you can spray Cease in your house, but I could be wrong. I tank mix Cease and Milstop when I spray in the greenhouse. I spray weekly from October to May when the plants go back outside. I should spray some of the begonias (mallets especially) during the summer, but I get lazy. Most of the canes won't need to be sprayed, unless we get one of the cold, wet, sunless summers.
Cracklin Rosie

Thumbnail by dbsmith2

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8324832

I think you are right about the Cease. Great Pic. I started a new thread about begonia favorites. I was looking at the Lauray of Salisbury web site and without photos there are many I don't know...so I thought I would ask the forum for their favorites. It may help to narrow the field!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America