Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Homesteading: January 2011 part 2 What lies ahead in the end of January?

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 74, Views: 506
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8320133

As we have all suffered from cabin fever, there were most posts on this former thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147753/#new than Possum Bell can deliver to those of us still on dial up.

Hoping all the homesteaders followed us.

I am awaiting seeds and have my wintersowing jugs ready to go. The next few nights will need the heater cooking in the greenhouse so please come sit with us by the fire and tell us what is going on at your homestead.

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8320262

Whew, I also was close to losing you all, as I'm on wireless here. Thanks for starting the new thread, Podster.

What a way to start the day...a cozy fire and a cup of coffee!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8321224

aaawww i missed Jane leaving.
my comp was in the shop and i just got it back.
sending happy trails and many blissfil travels. see you when yo get back.
that fire looks sooo warm and cozy oh i just could crawl up and sit and look at it for hrs on a couch
not much going on here

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8321301

Not much going on here, either. Today I visited at the farm that supplies most of my meat; the young caretakers are pretty nice folks... with 3 very blond young'uns, babies almost. The baby is experiencing her first "outside" in the cold weather... had lots of trouble navigating partially frozen, hilly ground in her boots!

I visited the farm today that raises most of the meat I buy. It was a lot farther than I thought, and I had to drive home in the dark, which I do not do well. I was hoping to work out a trade for some of my (eventual) cured pork salami, smoked bacon, proscuitto, etc for some pork to play around with on my learning curve. Alas, whatever their religion is (I think not Jewish, though), they do not eat pork... and they are totally out of most beef cuts until a big spring slaughter.

I did come home with a couple of free packages of pork that had broken the vacuum seal done at the packing house when they were slaughtered. They aren't allowed to sell them, so I got them free. One is a big shoulder roast. I'll just cut off any freezer burn, and cube/grind the rest for sausage. They have recently sold off all their pigs and are now raising only beef, so I'll have to find another supplier for pork when that one pork freezer is empty. It's already pretty slim pickins'.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8322077

Can I pull up a chair and enjoy the fire?

Rode to town with DH yesterday. He goes to wound care every Thursday. I had not been to own in a month and everybody was asking about me. They are really nice folk. Doc made me bring home a magazine I was copying a recipe out of. I always bring them magazines.

Went o the PO in town as I kept forgettting my "mailings" when I passed our PO eveyday. Typical for me. I sent off a seed trade and ordered Southern Living magazine. They sent me an offer for a years subscription for only $10. I thought it was a good buy and I love their magazine. Good stories and great recipes.

Went to Wally world for a few things. Got some more feet and handwarmers for this cold spell. Got 1 of DH's meds filled. It was only $4. Don't mind those at all.

Went to TSC and got feed and a new book. It's called Mini Farming Self-Sufficiency on a 1/4 Acre. Then when I got home a box had been left for me by the mail man. It was a box of books Jay sent me. I started on the Mormon Trail book last night. I'll have plenty good reading for the rest of the winter. I read 4 books at once but I have to make sure they are different genres so I don't get them mixed up.

Came home and got the feeding done. Was trying to hurry so I could get my stuff together and get cleaned up for the ladies meeting at church. Got a call they were all afraid to come out because the storm was so close so we canceled it.

Gotta get going this morning. We got an inch or 2 of snow overnight and it's in the 20's this morning. BBL
low

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8322115

Frigid cold and 10* here this morning. But the sun is shining...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8322135

We were expecting those really low temps but thank the Lord He spared us. That's waaay to cold for my liking. Keep yourself warm.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2011 8:43 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8322537

1 degree here for us today.
all 5 of my eggs broke but one . oh well. just can't win them all
it got up to 9 by noon and its 57 in my GH with just the sun ! wow excellent. can't wait to get them heaters running and get some things started.
sounds like you had fun Cajun. I saw documentary on the Mormon trail ? or i think it was ? . just about how they got here ect...
kids have a snow day again. :(
got my hair done
darius i got a buffulo ranch not to far from me. I m hoping my family likes it ? . no corn feed meat there! your meat curing sounds like a great idea. i love that stuff !!
this spring i may try and cull my own chickens. i will build then a fence so they can get a bit more roaming.
Lucy our dog likes to chase them so we can't let them free roam all over .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8322566

Sue, I've only had ground buffalo... tastes like a really good quality ground beef to me.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8322737

good to know darius. i think i will like it , just don't know about the family.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8323325

Sue, that is terrible cold!!!! Good about the GH temps. Trying to sell DH on the idea of building a hoop house over my garden spot. My guard dog, Cowboy, will kill chickens. BC, Galloway will let them eat with him.

Started another book. Calamity Jane. Truth is so far from the fiction that has been accepted about her.

I have not felt well today. BP has been low and I have had no energy.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8323848

good morning everyone
not much here
today is -7
guess no fresh eggs today LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8324259

Low 20s here but the wind is kickin'. Got all my feed dipped and let Ben out but I'm resting before going out to feed. I got 5 eggs yesterday. Judging by the size of a couple eggs, some of my pullets are starting to lay. Miracle laid me a nice big egg yesterday but she can't hold a candle to the golden comet. Hers is a honkin' big egg.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8324290

I'm still piddlin' with meat... the fatback I got Thursday is fantastic (not part of the free stuff, I had to pay for it), and I'm rendering the thinner pieces for lard. The thicker parts will become cured salt pork, using a recipe that has lots of herbs. Should be yummy cooked in greens or beans! Not your grocery store partially rancid salt pork.

I finally got my "cold smoke generator" and plan to smoke a few things in my cardboard smoker box next week, weather permitting. On my list is to smoke salt, sugar, some nuts, some sun-dried tomatoes for a sausage recipe... and some local honey. Who knows what else may crop up in my thoughts before then? LOL. I'd smoke some cheese if I had any!

Thumbnail by darius

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8324300

How does that thing work? I have never heard of smoking most of the things you mentioned. I must live under a culinary rock.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8324400

According to an online weather site, our low was 10 this morning, which is what it was yesterday morning. Night temps are suppose to be going back up a little.

Taynors, that is TERRIBLE cold, gives me a chill just thinking about it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8324437

Caj, some foods require "cold smoking" at low temps that do NOT also cook the foods, just impart a smoky flavor to them.

The sawdust-filled gadget I posted above is ignited by the tea candle, and placed in a container where it simply smokes... apple, pecan, hickory, whatever sawdust you use.

Here's a link to a video that shows the process pretty well. The whole cardboard unit isn't sold in the US, just the cold smoke generator part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkj-KvGl1VA&feature=player_embedded
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8324545

That was fun. I had heard the term "cold smoked" on an episode of "Chopped" but had no idea what it meant. Did you see the videos on how to make your own with a soldering iron? Did you buy one of the cardboard jobs? I have only eaten smoked pork and smoked fish. When we grill, we like to put pecan wood on top of the coals. When we lived down the bayou we had our own tree and they are famous fro shedding limbs. Everyone that fell was saved for grilling.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8324694

Caj, if and when I make Andouille sausages, you are elected to be my "tester"!

I have tried all the cold-smoke options including soldering iron, and this one I just got looks like it will work the best. As I posted above, their cardboard surround isn't sold in the US.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8324771

yeppers it is cold, got 3 eggs before the split from the cold.
sweet smoker darius.
well not much here
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8325085

I love me some andouille if it's not made with hot peppers. If it is, DH will be more than glad to help you out. LOL

That smoker is great. I think with a bit of tweeking you are on to something. I did not know pastrami was made from tongue. I have eaten grilled tongue before and found it a bit tough.

I had a split egg today too, in my layer pen up the hill. Must have been laid late yesterday evening. I usually make an after dark trip up there but haven't felt up to it last night or tonight.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8325379

The andouille won't be hot; my system doesn't do hot peppers very nicely!

Pastrami is usually made from brisket that is first corned (cured in a brine), then coated with a pastrami spice rub and smoked. It is also braised (or steamed) along the way, sometimes before smoking, to tenderize it.

Hope you are feeling better today.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8326784

I have had a good day. Heart is still a bit irregular but it is most of the time so nothing out of the ordinary.

Be sure to post some pics when you d the cold smoking. I have never eaten pastrami.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8326809

Cajun, Are you on medication for your irregular heart beat.
Our family found out we have a hereditary thing that is easily controlled.

Strong SW wind here tonight. Bringing in warm air, but sure cold in the meantime.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8327071

No. I had lots of tests done a few years back. They said it was something I was born with and was not a problem so I don't worry about it.

Snowing here again and cold. I had expected to wake up to rain and warmer temps but that didn't happen. Got a fresh layer of snow about 2" deep. Bad thing is, yesterday was Sunday and the trucks weren't out salting so even the main road is covered now. I guess they will send the trucks out about daylight to salt and plow, then we'll have to wait for it to start melting. I have a little fun trip planned for this morning and it's on hold until I can see what the road condition will be. You don't take chances with snow and ice in the mountains. Three people got killed last week going over the banks.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8327153

Oh dear... this sounds like the winter that will never end in KY! What had you been planning for today?

On your heart problems, over years, things do change with your condition as well as in the medical field. And I do understand, I would be the same as you but your husband, kiddos and grands (not to mention all your critters and us) would be lost without you! You might consider getting checked again. I have also learned in these last 10 years that one Drs' opinion is not always correct.

Warm and rain here so it can get colder again tomorrow. But after hearing what y'all are dealing with, I won't complain.

Grew up eating pickled tongue and it was good. I like anything pickled. The key to tongue is cutting it very thinly and crossgrain of course.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 24, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8327188

I spent a week in the hospital when I was a wee lad. About 1946. They called it a heart mummer then. Now it is A-fib or something like that. Top of heart beats at different rate than the bottom.

My dad died at age 54 in 1967. We are thinking he probably had the same condition.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8327201

Did you ever have rheumatic fever when young?

My sister did and developed a heart murmur as a result. Odd but they said she also passed it on to one child.
That did not make sense that a heart problem caused by RF could be passed on but... ???

Now they can treat A fib by meds can't they?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8327996

Just popped in to say hi. Went to see DH for the weekend in VA. The little bit of snow that fell where Al is staying was already melted on the roads by 7 am, and thankfully I got within 25 miles of home before the rain started. Beautiful country out there, but I'm sure glad the mountains along the trip route weren't as big as the ones up where Cajun lives. I was thinking that Cajun must have had some major culture shock moving from Lousianna to eastern Kentucky and learning to drive through those mountains. Personally, I much prefer my rolling hills. But if I did live in the mountains, I wouldn't leave at all during the winter. I'm too much of a coward when it comes to winter driving.

We met Darius for a late breakfast Sunday morning. It was sure good seeing her again. Wish I could get out to meet all of you. I met Country Gardens at the Ky roundup a couple of years ago.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8328068

Glad to hear you made it home safely. I figured from Cajun's post she wouldn't get out to meet you today. :(
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8328281

I was disappointed, but it wasn't safe for her to be out driving. If the roads had been bad down where I was starting from, I'd have turned around and gone back.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8328552

I was super disappointed I couldn't make it. The plows got out a little later and the temps warmed up and melted everything. We were able to do the work easy later on. Wish it had held off another day. Drat the snow!! We are looking at 6 to 10 inches Wednesday and Thursday. *sigh* I am so ready for Spring. I was looking through my seeds this morning trying to decide what to plant. It's so hard to leave anything out but I have no choice.

I had a heart murmur when I was a kid. Result of a bout with German measles. Also left me with a dry, hacking cough that lasted 8 months. This does seem to be getting a bit worse but when you don't have insurance you don't have a lot of options.

I had one of my goats for sale. I was asking $50 for her. I traded her yesterday for $50 worth of hay, 10 bales @ $5 a bale. I had already bought hay from the guy and it's some of the best I have ever gotten. Well worth the price. So I will still be getting what I wanted for her and I was going to use the money to buy hay anyway. :) I am also going to breed my brown doe to his brown buck at no cost. A friend from church is bringing his buck to my house on Thursday to breed my black doe. I need to move the brown doe to my friend's before that. I want to use different bucks so I can sell the kids as breeding pairs. I don't want to keep the kids, I just want to be able to milk my goats.

Talked to my Mom tonight. My younger DGS was in the ER last night. For several months he has been throwing up and having pains in the bottom of his stomach. The hospital told them it was strep throat. Go figure. He is still sick and in a lot of pain. My son is taking him to the ER again. I suggested a different hospital. It sounds like his appendix. Please say a prayer for him. I prayed with him over the phone. Poor little guy sounded so pitiful.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8328899

Forgive me for cutting in again.
I am a retired EMT. The upset stomach and pains in stomach is NOT a symptom of Strep Throat. He may very well have strep throat. But he has something else also. Take him somewhere else.
Vickie
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8329226

(((Poor little fellow))) Hard to see them like that.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8329469

That is exactly what I told my son. He was admitted into the hospital last night and is undergoing tests today. Elevated white count and swollen lymph nodes. CT scan showed no problem with the appendix but sometimes it doesn't pick it up. They want to do a sonogram (or one of those grams LOL ) but they will likely have to sedate him as he cannot stand to have his stomach touched.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8329613

I feel bad for him being in the hospital, but it is for the best. Maybe they can figure out what is wrong with him.

The weather is looking awful coming in TN, across Ky and Eastern Va, then on up into NY. I'm about tired of winter.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8329866

I agree , my kids had streap and no stomache issues ?
with an appendix he would have a fever, does he have one ? i think ifi t was appendix they burst pretty fast ?
i took my son in with bent over, crawling pain in his side. he was constipated beyond normal ! poor kid. Even the pain meds they gave him didn't help the pain.
could he have swollowed something ? and its obstructed in his bowl ?
poor guy sending T&P and hope he gets fixed soon. not fun.
i have cousin who has ALS and its poor condition, needs oxygen ect.. almost died on wendsday .
not much else going on here
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8330699

Ray was transferred to Ochner's Foundation Hospital in NO today and a surgeon from Children's Hospital operated on him tonight. His appendix was infected and had a hole in it. He is on antibiotics. He will be in the hospital until he has been up walking around and fever free for 24 hours. I am so relieved and thankful to God for answered prayers. God is sooo good!!!

Sue, I will be praying for your cousin.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8330954

That's good news, Caj. You sure nailed that diagnosis, didn't ya?

Appendix trivia: The human appendix (uninflamed) is about the size of a little finger. It used to be deemed to be functionless. The newest theory is that it stores intestinal flora in case the normal flora are purged by ? (a poisonous plant, etc).

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8331823

oh Cajun i m so glad to hear they got to him in time and he will be on the mends.
good to know on the trivia ,, LOL i can say l learnt something today
sending T&P to your little guy.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8332064

Cajun, great news! I know you and his parents must be relieved to have an answer. Hopefully he will recover quickly.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8332127

i have a friend who last year almost died, due to a leak in her bowel.
Her Dr. kept giving her antibiotics for bladder infection , so 2 yrs later , wow did she get sick.
Walmart insurance does 'nt cover ICU ? go figure on that one
she is better but will always have trouble. She may have to go on dialysis . poor thing.
i sure wish i could help her out with some herbs ect... and teach her about her diet but ... falls on deaf ears. what can i do ?
great gal she is. so funny at times. LOL got to love her. :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8332312

Ray is doing well tonight. He is on pain meds and antibiotics. He is still running a low grade fever and doesn't want to move around much but he did walk to the bathroom and back before he went back to sleep. He has complained about his stomach off and on for over a year now and I suspected it might be a chronic appendix. My brother's appendix ruptured when he was 5 yo. He nearly died. He had had problems with it from the age of 2 and they couldn't figure it out. My Mom was super worried about Ray because of it.

Sue, it's a miracle your friend did not die.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8332898

good morning everyone
Cajun so glad to hear the little guy is doing well.
appendix are funny things arn't they ?
not much going on here
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8334318

He is finally eating a bit of jello and juice tonight and holding it down. He was also sitting up in the bed playing the Wii. He perked up when my DD and DGS took my Momma and Poppa down to the city to see him. Mom said DD had him laughing. Be glad when he is able to go home.

I was dreading getting up this morning. They were calling for it to start snowing last night. Told us we could expect 6" to 10" of wet snow. Figured the power would go out. Woke up and let the rooster and the dog out and all we had was a little dusting od sleet. The sun shone most of the afternoon and it would have been pleasant but for the cold wind.

Got the bottom layer of pavers laid for a second SFG bed. I use 3 layers so I have a ways to go. Then to fill it will compost and manure in time for Spring planting.

A couple of friends from church brought their pygmy billy for me to use to breed my does. I was hoping to have Marble picked up first. I have traded her for 10 bales of top quality hay for my horses. The guy is coming to pick her up tomorrow. I had also wanted to have Dusty over to another friends to breed her to his billy. Might be able to get her away in the morning. Since she is not in heat tonight, the morning might not be too late.

Got 2 seed trades in the mail today and a box of donated seeds for the swap. I am really getting excited about it. I hope it is a success.

That's about all that's going on at Maranatha farms.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8334840

good morning
not much here
glad to hear the little guy is eating.
stay warm everyone
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8334965

We lucked out with the weather, too. Rained quite a bit one day, snowed 4" the next day and now 2 days later, the snow is gone. Sure is a muddy mess out there now, but the sun is shining and it's in the 40's for a second day.

Got together last night with my two partners for our MG project. They were pleased with the outline I did for the whole project, plus the outlines for each of the 6 meetings. The flyer I put together was well received, too, with only a couple of suggested changes. One was replacing the word "workshop" with "seminar". The other was moving "Free" from near the bottom of the page to the top and making it larger text. We're starting the seminars on Feb. 14th, meeting every Monday evening for 6 weeks. Valentine's Day may not be the best choice to start, but figured during the introduction we'll make a "joke" about it being an appropriate day to talk about living a heart healthy lifestyle eating lots of fresh vegetables. We each chose our segments for the the first meeting. One is starting out talking about Op vs Hybrid seeds, saving seeds and how much to plant. I'll talk about the actual seed starting and using different containers (seed trays, soda bottles, etc) and taking care of seedlings, then the other guy will talk about soil tests. We decided that we'll do a 5-10 min. meet and greet, then each of us will present for 20-30 min. with a 10 min. break between each, followed by Q & A's to wrap up the meeting. Our local BP service station has an adjacent diningroom that will seat 28, that we can use for free. Anyway...we're good to go!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8334984

I'm SO glad I could take the weather you guys didn't want, LOL!

Robin, sounds great! (I much prefer to attend a workshop over a seminar, though. 'Workshop' sounds like I could interact, while 'Seminar' sounds like a lecture to me.)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8335204

{snicker} we didn't want to be selfish :) Look at the bright side...lots of moisture building up in the soil as it melts..

I preferred "workshop" too, but I was out voted. I had put this all together before meeting with my partners and I had told them I would not be offended if they wanted to make changes. I also wanted them to feel like they had some say in the preparations. Since there was only the 2 little things that they both agreed about changing, I was agreeable. I'll post a copy of our flyer sometime this weekend.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8335212

sounds great msrobin. i sure wish you luck in this adventure.
i didn't have as much luck in my quest for a project with our local city garden. :(
she is just a person who won't see outside the box. ? but i did make way with our local farmers market on some new ideas on meetings and workshops. he seems more interested in doing some of those.
sorry to hear of your weather darius. Just be glad your not in NY ! yikes poor people in all that mess.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8335224

Robin... compromise: seminar/workshop!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8335631

Taynors, we are getting tremendous support from our Extension office.

Here's the seminar info on our flyer. It didn't format right when I pasted it here.

FREE VEGETABLE GARDENING SEMINAR
with an emphasis on naturally-grown produce ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's time to start planning your garden!
Please join us for a few evenings of discussion on
how to have a successful garden.
Learn the basics to get your garden off to a great start.
Save time and money with some new ideas.

TOPICS WILL INCLUDE
Starting transplants from seeds.
Choosing a garden site for traditional gardening.
Square Foot Gardening.
Container gardening. Edible Landscapes.
Soil Improvement. Organic gardening.
Garden pests and control measures.
Garden diseases, prevention and remedies.
Controlling weeds. Mulching.
Season extenders.
Irrigation. Rain Barrels.
Companion planting.
And much more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8335659

i wanna come to your seminar/ workshop :) sounds fun.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8335706

How far is Caneyville, KY from Rocky Mount, VA ? - never mind I'll map it.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8335712

Not gonna be able to do a 500 mile trip - though i would like.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8335777

Looks wonderful, Robin!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8335817

Thanks. I appreciate the positive response here. I hope our fellow residents are as interested. Our town and surrounding area has close to 900 households. The place we're holding this seats 28. I have my name and phone number on the flyer, asking people to pre-register. We'll post flyers this weekend and then there's 2 weeks before we start. We're hoping at least 10 to 12 people are interested enough to attend.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8335842

Is there a local garden club? 4H? FFA? Seniors Center with a garden program?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8336037

Darius, in regards to getting the word out? I don't think there's any of those in our town, except for maybe the 4-H. But then again, when I was at the extension office today, they were all for us handing our 4-H flyers at the first meeting. Two MG from our town have offered to post flyers for us. One at a local church and the other at the local food pantry. We'll also be posting flyers at several businesses in town, as well as several businesses up to 7 miles out in 3 different directions. We're emailing the flyer to the rest of our MG classmates, because a couple of fellow classmates wanted to be told when we were starting, as they wanted to attend. So, getting the word out isn't a problem. Just don't know how much interest there's going to be. This is a rural, farming community, with most of the population being older, so most already garden. The other gardeners that I have met and talked to around here, don't understand my methods, ie: wide/raised rows, mulching, organic, etc. We might draw a few older folks just out of curiosity. I'm probably just worrying for nothing. Surely there are at least a few people who are interested in improving their gardening skills, especially when it's free and so close to home.

However, my partners are much more optimistic. Before we really started exchanging ideas for this project, one was already suggesting we do another one in the fall and he wants to start an organic gardening club after this project is over.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8336267

Wow! You are on the ball. I pray it is a great success. I see no reason why it shouldn't be. If it was in my community, I'd sure go. You have a wide range of subjects that should appeal to the gardening masses. I do agree with Darius about the workshop detail. Especially with your target group being older, established farmers. I doubt they will appreciate being "lectured" on what they have been doing for decades.

I am so thankful we didn't get all that wet snow they were predicting. We'd have been without power for sure. We got a little better than an inch last night but the temps warmed up to 40* early and it melted. But a cold wind blew most of the day.

The guy I traded my goat to came and got her this morning and brought my 10 bales of hay. Glad to have that done. I will keep this billy I borrowed for a week or so. He is a cute little guy and very pleasant but he stinks. LOL

Ray, my DGS, came home from the hospital tonight. Made them stop on the way home and get him something to eat. I am so relieved and thankful to God. With his appendix rupturing like it did, it could have been very bad.

I worked in the dark last night in the light from the wash room window and started my second SFG bed. I got the first layer of pavers down. It is supposed to get up to 50* tomorrow so I hope to get a good bit more done on it. I have found a pile of rotted wood chips to use in it. I will add some bagged potting soil or top soil and some horse or goat manure also. Hope to have it ready for planting time.

Seed swap is coming along. People seem to be getting interested. A lady on Cubits sent me a quart bag of individual packaged seeds to help with the swap. I sure appreciate it. It will be a big boost to our community. We live in a poor, depressed area that suffers a lot of drug addiction. The people need a lot of help. Growing a garden could be a good step in the right direction.

Really strange thing has happened at our house tonight. We went to some friend's house because they wanted DH to officiate over renewing their wedding vows. We had a nice time and stayed a couple of hours. When we got home around 10 I came in the front door and went into my bedroom. My BC was asleep by the bed as usual. Then I saw something run past the door to the office. My BC caught sight of it and went to investigate, as did I. It was a brown puppy! Looks like a Brussels Griffon. Likely a cross of a small breed with a rough coat and a boxer. It has a protruding lower jaw and a rough coat. It is a male that looks to be around 3 months old and very skinny. Somebody had to walk up to my house, open the front door and put the puppy inside my house. Nothing was bothered. We had valuables , computers, guitars, a gun, DH's meds, ect. sitting out but nothing had been touched. Just this puppy in the house. I half expect it to be a joke that we will hear about tomorrow. Anyway, the pup is in the bathroom with my BC and they are sleeping. We tried to put him in the utility room but it has no door between it and the kitchen. We blocked it off with a piece of steel grating about 3 1/2 feet tall but he climbs it. If it is not a joke and somebody has put it off on us, we will have to find it a home. Like I don't have enough to do. It is a strange thing. I will not leave my door unlocked again.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8336384

Woke up at 3:30, wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep. Ugh! Going to be a long day!

I just saw on the news that the recorded high and low temps for January (in Louisville) are 62 on the 1st and 6 on the 23rd, with a total of 10" of snow. They didn't mention the rain totals, but we've also had quite a bit of rain this month. Quite a temperature swing. The lowest we saw here (about 100 miles southeast of Louisville) was 9. Suppose to be 50 today and mid to upper 40's the rest of the week with lots of rain in a few days. Whoohoo!

Cajun, you are just full of good news! Glad to hear Ray is doing well!

That's kind of scary that you know someone was in your house, joke or not. We live in the same kind of area, with a lot of the population being poor or druggies. I always lock my doors and turn on the alarm when I leave the house.

Tell me again when you are having your seed swap. I'll go through my boxes of seeds out today. Do you want both flowers and vegetables? And can you please tell us again what plans you have for the seed swap?

I have to clean out the chicken coop today, since it's going to be so nice. The roof leaked bad over the winter with all the snow and rain we've had and the 8" of straw on the ground is wet, muddy and matted down. Going to pull it all out and haul it to the garden.

I'm hoping the young man that I'm paying for cutting back my overgrown perrenial garden comes back soon to finish that up. He's cutting back all the overgrown weeds, herbs and asparagus to the ground and carrying the debris to the burn pile. The big vegetable garden isn't in too bad of shape. as we did a lot of fall cleanup in it. I got the big flower beds around the house cut back and cleaned up before winter, and the chickens have been doing a great job of turning over the surface soil. so hopefully, won't have too many weeds in there this summer.

Darius, I started catching up on your blog yesterday. Love your bean hoop! If the feed store delivers, I'm going to put up 2-3 cattle panels. It will also be great to plant salad greens under the hoops for some heat relief.

Taynors, how are your kids doing this winter? I remember they were sick a lot last winter? Is DH still doing the same work as last year?

Haven't heard much from the rest of group lately...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8336388

Cajun ~ if I had to bet, you won't hear who put the pup in your home. They did that because they knew you just well enough to know you would either take it in or find it a good home.

[quote] We live in a poor, depressed area that suffers a lot of drug addiction. The people need a lot of help. [/quote] And that sounds familiar. This area is so similar. I often wonder why poverty and drugs go hand in hand when it takes money to buy drugs.

How soon were you having the seed swap? I haven't sent the herbal seeds yet as I was waiting on some seed orders to come in to see if there is extra I can include. Hope I am not too late...

MsRobin ~ your workshop/seminar sounds terrific. Due to your hard work, it is coming together. I'm guessing all those topics will be spread out over all six workshops ~ not covered the first night? I wish you the wildest success and wish I too, was closer. I'd be there with bells on!
Be sure to post flyers where seed stock is sold like the feed store, hardware, etc. Also, I don't think you mentioned any local newspaper or radio stations. DH is a TX hunter safety instructor. When he and the game wardens schedule courses, they receive free promotion thru both the radio and paper. Just a thought...
Six weeks of seminars will be steppin' on your gardening season. You will be busier than...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8336445

Podster, nope, it won't be interferring with my garden plans. We're starting the seminar the 14th of February and will finish up the 21st of March. It was planned to start the week before cole crop seeds should be started inside and be done by the time I start getting busy in the garden. We don't plant out much here till late March, when the spring crops go out. The Extension office will run notices in the community news section of our county paper. Haven't heard for sure, but I think they will also pay for the soil tests for the seminar participants.

Here's the outline we're using;
Wk 1-Seeds: Hybrid vs OP, seed saving, seed starting, soil test info
Wk 2-Garden spaces: Preparing a garden site, soil improvements, square foot gardening, container gardening, edible landscapes, composting
Wk 3-Pests and control
Wk 4-Disease and remedies, companion planting
Wk 5-Irrigation, rain barrels, frost protection/season extenders, weed control, mulching, misc. tips and ideas
Wk 6-Results of soil tests, info about Extension office & MG course

We'll be discussing traditional chemical treatments too, but our main focus will be on using organic alternatives as much as possible. As we all know, gardening can be an expensive hobby. Growing organically, saving seeds and composting can save a gardener quite a bit of money.

I really appreciate all of the encouragement here. :) I have to go to town this morning. I think I'm going to treat myself to breakfast at the local coffee shop, then come home and play in the dirt..

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8336958

Good day to you all
compared to last winter kids have only been sick 1 or 2 times. Knock on wood LOL
still no sun , nor anywhere near above freezing today or in any day soon. no sun predicted in the next 8 days either.
we are still chipping away at the GH. Dh is doing a bit slower job then i would want. but??? I just want it done.
already behind in forcing some plants out.
I sure hope Jane is having fun at her retreat.
January has been a slooooow month for me.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8337087

We are lucky this pup is well behaved and has not shown any inclination to tear things up. He has really taken a shine to DH and vise versa. I hope we do not end up keeping him. He won't get big by the looks of him. He is an odd looking character but cute in his own way. DH is calling him Tramp after the dog in Lady and the Tramp. His undershot jaw looks like Tramp in the scene where they are eating spaghetti. I'll have to get a pic of him. If putting him in here was a joke I fail to see the humor in it. We are blessed he did not tear the house apart. I won't be leaving my door unlocked anymore.

My seed swap will be 4/2. I hope to use it to introduce gardeners to new things and maybe get younger people and retired gardeners into growing a bit of their own food. I would also like to see a layed back "garden club" come out of it. We will have all kinds of seeds. I figure the bigger variety we offer, the more people will come out to the swap.

I hate drug use and addiction. Adults can make their own choices and live with the consequenses but children are the ones who suffer the most and can't do anything about it. The grocery money goes to buy drugs and unscrupulous business owners will take pop at cut rate prices for drugs, so the addicted parents go spend all the food stamps on pop and trade it for drugs to the business owners who turn around and sell the pop at regular prices. I hope to get more people growing a bit of food and maybe some of these affected kids can get a good, healthy meal.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8337146

It's just as bad with beer & cigarettes. They both come first for those folks."If we have money left, we will buy food."

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8338298

good morning
off to the GH and we hope to get it done today
good day to you all
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8338312

Dang, Taynors, I envy your ambitiousness this morning. I always wake up more tired in the mornings than when I went to bed the night before.

Bright and sunny here again today.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8338819

I wake up tired too because I dream all night and don't rest.

Great service at church this morning. Beautiful day here today. Had my lunch now time to get out and get the feeding done.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8339000

LOl believe me it took some large amounts of coffee to get me going , but thanks i appreciate the encouragments. :)
went to our first 4H meeting. my kids took an office postition. health organizer and safety . :)
we saw the sun today !! oh it sure felt good , boy did i miss the sun
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8339810

A 4H meeting on Sunday?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8340246

yep.
sucks doing it on a sunday at 3pm but i think that is the only time anyone can attend. ?
cold morning here 17 not including wind chill brrrrr

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8343327

we got ice and its cold, more on the way too
tried to sled down the ice hill on our property
all i can say is "WATCH OUT SPEED OF LIGHT " intensly fast , but very very fun !!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8344325

Sure wish I could see you sleding! Stay warm and safe. That weather is nothing to take for granted.

We had a great day here and it sure has perked me up. I only wore 1 pair of pants and 1 shirt. Short sleeves at that! I got all my feeding done, took 3 game roosters off and put another tier of pavers on BOTH SFG beds. Now I just have to finish filling them and I will be ready for spring planting. Whoo Hoo!!!

I went to the grocery tonight for dog food and heard people talking about 50MPH winds after midnight. I was worried for my pullet pen but God has spared us. The storm has gone north of us. We have gotten a bit of rain but nothing worse.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8344516

We've used up January so let's head over here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152842/

Taynors stay warm and be careful on that icy hill. Great fun but we don't mend as fast as we used to... LOL
Cajun ~ glad you have dodged this weather bullet.
Hope everyone else checks in and is all right.

With yesterdays wind, we only lost power for a few short times. Not so lucky here on temps either, it is hovering at frozen in daytime and the teens at night for the rest of the week. And a light snow this a.m. ~ ALL RIGHT already! Up a few times feeding the GH heater and dripping water with a light bulb on the pump means I still have plants and water so life is good!

All the four legged residents at my house are reluctant to go out and have finally quit wearing the door hinges out. They spent yesterday evening in hopes of warmer temps so would go out and in and out and... Need an air lock on the doors!

Off to work... stay warm and safe today!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America