-
AuthorContent
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8320180

Looks like it is time to start a new thread.
Come and join us. We are various people across the states with different health issues but share the same love of gardening and looking for the best way to go about getting things done, and to share our ups and downs. To cheer each other on and to pick each other up.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/comunity/forums/t/1140511

This message was edited Jan 20, 2011 7:44 AM
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8320651

Let's try it again. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140511/
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8321453

Hey, Debra, are you feeling any better?
I got to do my favorite thing today, demolish things. Kay wanted me to break down some ornate wroght iron furniture into pieces she could use for other projects. She says the chair arms are going to be made into an iron butterfly for the garden. Can't wait to see that. lol. I was into a heavy metal rock band called Iron Butterfly when I was a teenager. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8321469

Could I just mention something which, as a writer has been on my mind -- we're not physically challanged, we're physically challenged, with an E after the LL.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8321492

Vickie is never going to let me forget when I made us physically "phallanged." :-) (Jim)
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8322416

Neither is Kay. Phallanged sounded like something truly dreadful. But, out of respect for your professional sensibilities, Carrie, we will behave and let him slide. "Challenged" it will be, henceforth.
BTW: I'm making a DRAGONfly, with the chair arms. Jim must have been caught up in remembering his misspent youth.
Is Tony better, Katiebear? Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8322718

Thanks Kay. Sorry Carrie.Durn Right Jim.
Carrie, Can't we give Jim a little bit of a hard time?
It was my southern accent that caused that E to turn into an A.Course my double e,s turn into E-E-E-E-E-E as in Halloweeeeeen.
We want to see that dragonfly. Forget that! I just want to see Amargia.
Does anyone want any extra snow? I've got some to spare.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8322862

I think it should ether be "phallanged" or "challenged." One makes us sound truly needy, though,

Yes, Kay, men should almost always be given a hard time, to make up for hundreds of thousands of years of disenfranchisement! I'm sure cavemen didn't consult long with their cavewomen before they stayed out late hunting or clubbing each other. "Sorry dear, I'll be a little late tonight. After the normal mastodon-over-a-cliff deal, we're planning to club Gog to death for fun." I just don't see it.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8322893

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8322915

I mean, Vickie, do you? That would make a good cartoon.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 21, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8323322

lol. Carrie, I'll have to see if I can make that one visual.
Vickie, while I was looking for something I half-way remembered from a Lewis Carroll book. I came across this one. It may give you a new way of looking at all that snow.
"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes! Lewis Carroll
Prayers for Mama Kayís sister, Arlene. She is a terrible lesson on not taking extreme weight loss methods lightly, no matter how common theyíve become. She had lap band surgery done. She called it her Christmas present to herself. We received a call that she is in the hospital and the doctors arenít sure if she will make it or not. Some sort of surgical complication. There were times when I stepped on a scale I considered having the procedure. The extra weight Iím carrying around would have to be a serious threat to my health before I would even think about it now.
Kay is on pins and needles waiting for phone calls from Texas with news of her sisterís condition. In case I need to make the drive, I had better get on Google maps and find out where Bouie, TX is. ~Nadine~

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8323540

Nadene and Kay, I'm so sorry. Prayers go out for you and your aunt.
You'll probably take I-20 Thru Miss and La. If you get that far and have trouble,Call me. I can be there within 5 hours.
Be careful and take care.
Vickie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 22, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8324407

Thanks, Vickie. Another of Mama Kayís sisters is driving up from Houston to assess the situation. They want to make sure Arleneís step-son isnít just panicking before they all show up on the doorstep. MK says once you hit a certain age there are bound to be some close calls and she and her siblings have all reached that ďcertain age.Ē
Iím going to make sure MK goes to see her sister soon even if she does recover fully. I feel a little responsible she didnít make it out there last summer. I think paying my college tuition was part of why they canceled the planned trip. There was a lot of info in MKís Bookmarks on Lake Dardanelle State Park so I gather they were planning to stop by and see you. That is near you, isnít it? I know itís on the Arkansas River and I donít think MK has family living in AR anymore.
You didn't really go walking in the snow, did you? ~Nadine~

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 23, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8326141

Kay's sister pulled through. She had to have the lap band removed and she will be in the hospital for awhile, but she is on the mend.
Nadine's only met this sister of Kay's twice, but a misunderstanding made them close. K. set up the recliner for Arlene to sleep in when she visited us. That offended N's sense of southern hospitality. This particular sister was disinherited by Kay's father and was persona non grata while he lived. N. thought K. was slighting her sister because of that. Arlene has breathing problems if she is laying flat, she ASKED if she could sleep in the La-Z-Boy while she was visiting. She slept in her recliner most nights at home. Arlene got a kick out of Nadine's willingness to do battle with Kay over her comfort.
Photo: Tiny signs of Spring. Fragrant tea olive blossoms.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8326261

Missed a lot last few days, sounds like you guys have all been busy. :-)

Kay, I am thankful your sister is better. Am I allowed to be a bit selfishly disappointed that you all aren't making the trip? Bowie, TX is an easy 90 minute drive from me. :-p

Jim, I may have to look more closely at getting a tea olive.

Nadine, if they did cancel because of tuition, I'd bet a maple tree they say it is worth every penny.

Vicki, I'd take some weekend snow if you want to send it down. Just no ice and not during the work week. LOL

Carrie, Spring is coming, I promise. See?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8326568

I'm glad Kay,s sister is better and pulling thru. Also glad they're not doing the surgery.Hope she forgets about it.
Dardanelle is close by.Has 2 nice parks. One on a mountain the other on the river.
I really did go for a walk in the snow. It was so nice. Need to walk some more. I told DD when i left and got back. OH AND 70LB Dillen went with me, Cricket could'nt manuver in the snow.
Will see what i can do about sending snow to Dallas. I should have some crocus coming up soon. Yes! Hope is on the way.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8326622

Nadine, when you get Kay down this way, let me know. I would love to drive up to Bowie to meet you all. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8326692

I don't promise, But i'd sure like to try meeting up also.
Vickie
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8326842

If you are feeling up to it and you think your heart is strong enough to stand up to Nadine's driving, we would love to swing by and collect you. If I'm going to make that trip at my leisure, I'm going to do it right. Big Sis lives on a lake. I bet there are lots of cool rocks and nice plants we could appropriate. :-)
Jim and Nadine are talking about selling off Jim's comic book collections to fund our trip. lol. I'm touched...and (dare I admit it) thrilled with the idea.. We are talking boxes, and boxes and boxes of comic books. They don't read them or anything. They are backboarded and stay in protective plastic sleeves in boxes specifically designed to hold comic books. (Jim still has them from when he was 8. He considers them an "investment.") )We are talking one entire closet stuffed floor to ceiling with boxes of comic books. (Well, I think there is one or two boxes of Star Trek memorabilia.) But, we are talking the best closet in the house here! Well, I guess I'd better get off my bum and make some money quickly or I'll never stop hearing about the unselfish sacrifices they made for me by parting with that junk. :-) It sure is tempting though.
Debra, I was just looking at a coral bell called 'Firefly." It doesn't have the showy foliage, but is allegedly fragrant. Jim is a foliage fiend. I think he just found a new favorite plant family. Maybe, I can talk him into selling the collectibles and buying all the different heucheras? Now, there is a form of collecting I can actually understand. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 23, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8326845

Kay, I think you might be surprised by the appraisal on those boxes. Will keep my fingers crossed they have the right mix to get you here AND fund the foliage. :-)

Debra
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 24, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8327614

Thank you, Debra!!! They aren't JUNK! Papa Jim's REALLY are valuable. Mine, not so much. Of course, the first thing we would sell will be that signed card from George Takei (Sulu-Star Trek) that belongs to Kay. lol. She has a thing for George Takei. :-)
BTW, I think they shoot you for appropriating plants in Texas! :-)
The central heat thermostat got re-set somehow last night and it got down into the 20's last night. Fenny must of got cold sleeping on the floor. Papa Jim padded and upholstered the top of a dresser to use as a changing table when the there were babies around. Fenny found a new bed.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 24, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8328312

Kay tells me she didn't say she and Vickie "would" appropriate any plants or rocks, she said they COULD, and that's a different thing. You sure you want to chance hangin' with those two, Debra? They might be a bad influence. :-)
Fenny is usually pretty good about staying off the furniture. When the floors get cold, it seems all bets are off. I would have thought that was too high up for her. but she springs up there like a cat.
I saw a great deal today on a Regency van that I could easily modify for my w/c. It would be great for a trip. Not familiar with the Regency model though. Need to do some research. The last van I owned was a real headache. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 24, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8328376

I think it would be wondermous terrific great fun if you all came this way.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8328743

Nadene, It is against the law in Texas to dig roadside plants. But nowhere is there the mention of gathering seeds. I know cause i asked the statepolice back in my plant stealing days.
We had a Ford station wagon in the 60,s and a GM van in the 70,s Loved them.
I agree ...What Debra said.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8328801

If you follow the etiquette set by the Texas Rose Russlers you should be okay. .
http://www.texasroserustlers.com/
I once read a wince-as-you-laugh sort of funny ďHigh GroundĒ article in Horticulture Magazine about rudely ďappropriatingĒ plants. Someone took a manís entire bonsai collection from his front porch. (A plainly illegal appropriation of plants, but I wonder how seriously the police took any complaint he made.) He started growing large cactus in large pots on his porch instead. lol. The writer told about two women taking a garden tour. One was wearing a fashionable and expensive raincoat with Ziploc baggies attached to the inside for stashing the cuttings the other woman took. (That was just sad and truly bizarre.) But, there is a funny garden tradition the writer didnít mention so I am wondering if it is peculiar to the deep south. Instead of asking another gardener if you can have a cutting, seeds or offshoot, you are supposed to TELL them you are going to ďstealĒ it. I donít know how such a thing got started, but in the deep south youíll hear conversations like:
ďJoAnn, Iím going to steal a baby burroís tail out of that hanging basket. There are some little starts.Ē
JoAnn replies: ďOkay, and being such a tall and basically considerate plant thief I just know youíll pull out those blades of grass that have started coming up in it. Theyíre hard for me to reach.Ē
Jim still laughs when he hears this type of conversation. (I thought he was going to hurt himself laughing when I asked a policeman if I could ďstealĒ a rose cutting from a bush in the police station parking lot.) He does that eye roll plus head shake thing and mutters, ďOnly in the south.Ē Iím curious. Is it? Do gardeners do this in other parts of the country or is this really just one of those things southern gardeners of a certain age do? Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8328903

That was funny, But i did the same once. Also asked my bank for Dandelion seeds. I think gardeners are a breed apart,anywhere they happen to be. I was visiting an aunt in CAL. Once she stopped at this mans house and asked him for a start of a rose. Before she left she had starts of everything he had, at his insistance. Guess we're a brotherhood not unlike the Masons.LOL
Taking starts from a cemetary can be a good thing.If you're pruning a rose back some.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 25, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8329778

Mike told me once the tradition of "stealing" your friend's plants dates all the way back to when people believed in sympathetic magic. If you took a cutting and got it to thrive, it was supposed to bring a blessing of bounty to the garden or house from where the seeds or cuttings were taken. For a house or garden blessing to bring about the desired effect, it was supposed to be done without the household being blessed knowing what you were about. You told the householder you were stealing the plant so that evil spirits didn't interfere with your blessing. Mike said that was why he had such a beautiful rose garden in such an unlikely place, he was blessed by everyone from miles around. lol.
Even though I know the story behind the tradition,, it still sounds funny to me when people say it. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8330694

Jim, I like that version. I need all the good blessings i can get.
I keep dream catchers around for good luck and to keep my dreams on the good side.
Hopefully some warm weather coming next week.
Fried some potatoes,onions and hotlinks for supper.Not a good thing.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 26, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8331249

sounds good to me, vicki. the hot links would have talked back to me later, but it still sounds really good. i might have to make that for supper myself tonight.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8331548

Now I'm REALLY bloomsick! My only amaryllis is listing badly and I can't trot out to the back yard to get a stick to prop it up. I'm gonna use that sweet olive picture in my next article, if you don't mind. MEETING, like a round-up in nowhere, TX? Warm nowhere, TX, though...

Debra, we would be DELIGHTED to send some snow your way. Unfortunately
a. it doesn't melt
b. it comes with ice, hail, slush, etc.
c. I can almost guarantee it will ruin either a work day,a weekend, or both
d. can I interest you in the -3 temps we had the other day?

We went to Atlanta to meet my newest grandchild (via my DH). I'll see if I can attach a pic. No, I have to go get it from FB first. Back soon - unless some other snow melodrama unfolds first.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 26, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8331921

Carrie, next time you're in Atlanta you'll have to give me a heads-up. We can do the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I love that place. They usually have an awesome collection of garden art. They also have a good collection of carnivorus plants. Your GS will get a kick out of those when he's a little older and going through that gruesome stage all little boys seem to go through. Pj says you are welcome to the osmanthus pic.
Yeah, Vickie. I know what you mean. It isn't good for the waistline, but I crave those kind of comfort foods when the weather is cold and gloomy. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8332063

How about things like potato-leek soup? Split pea soup? Those are comfort foods for me, but nobody will cook them! Or eat them if I cook them.

Nadine, is Atlanta actually close to you? We didn't decide to go until Sat. night and caught a 5 am Sun. flight. Stayed until Monday at noon. (DH had a date with a storm.) So much for the heads up - I didn't even get one!

Note: my teeth are not this white. My step-son whitens almost everyone's teeth with Photoshop or something.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2011 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by carrielamont

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8332065

I have a few other DG friends in GA it would have been nice to try to see, but I didn't think of it until I got back.

Thumbnail by carrielamont

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 26, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8332199

Potato-leek soup! Nummy!!!

What a gorgeous grandson. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8332456

:) none of my genetic material but a LOT of my emotional material. I used to say of my DSS that I was his favorite parent (rather than either his father or his witch mother). Now I think the balance has shifted back to dad.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 27, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8333011

Love the picture of Fenny. I've been sleeping sideways in my double bed to allow for two dogs on each side of me. Although I have to keep my knees bent they are better than an electricx blanket on these chilly nights.

Tony and I are going to Santa Rosalia today for me to see a doctor about my ear. It's been bothering me since just before Christmas. There's very little pain now but something is not right with it. It's only a 35 mile trip but takes about an hour on Mexican roads.

There are lots of birds around these days. I think many of them are probably headed north so spring might actually be on the way.

hugs, katie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 27, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8334428

Carrie, Atlanta is a 2 or 3 hour drive depending on the traffic. We usually fly into and out of the Atlanta airport when we need to fly. Nearby Dothan has an airport, but it is small and the majority of flights are routed through Atlanta anyway. The Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport opened last year near Panama City. That is closer, but none of us have used it yet. Their northerly flights are probably routed through Atlanta also. lol.
Katiebear, Mama Kay suggests that you tug at your outer ear. If it hurts, you have an external ear canal infection. Remedies for a fungal infection (ďSwimmerís EarĒ) will give you relief. If tugging on the outer ear doesnít hurt, it is probably a middle ear infection. If it is worse at night, it is a safe bet it is a middle ear infection. Home remedies for fungal infections (like warm white vinegar), can actually make things worse if it is a bacterial infection. Problems with a tooth or your throat can first show themselves as an earache. The doctor is an EXCELLENT idea. MK is hard-of-hearing due to repeated ear infections. She says to tell you VERY LOUDLY that your hearing is too valuable to mess around with.
I had tubes put in my ears when I was small because of ear infections that did not respond well to antibiotics. If it hurts at times, try putting a cup or so of rice in a clean sock. Tie it off and put it in the microwave for about a minute. Put the warm pad on your ear. Heat usually gives some relief. When the pain is acute, I get relief from the blow-dryer set on warm, held about a foot from my ear and aimed down the ear canal. The sound of the rushing air drives some people up the wall though. I hope the doctor can diagnose and treat it soon.
Tater-dog snores loudly. Fenny has nightmares in which she whines, churns her legs and even barks in a muffled sort of way. I wouldnít get any sleep with them in the bed. (I wonder what dogs have nightmares about.) ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8334452

I drove close to Atlanta but was too much of a coward to drive thru it.I was a big Brave fan then.
Kay,s remedys sounds good. So does a doctor. We've never had ear issues.Just throat and stomach aches.
The warm rice and socks are also good for Arthritis and other aches and pains. Dogs are definately best for cold feet,and even better for lonliness.
Dillen seldom snores and Cricket never does. Vonne says Cricket walks all over me at night and never wakes me. The cats come and spend brief moments mostly.
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 28, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8335054

The doctor looked in my ears and diagnosed an inner ear infection. I have two antibiotics and drops. Slept a lot last night and this morning (went to bed at 6 pm actually). I'm not sure if I ever had ear infections as a child - I don't remember any so I probably didn't. This is the first I've had as an adult. I agree hearing is too important to mess around with. The doctor seemed very good. Had a wand with a light on the end and a computer that showed what the wand was seeing. He checked my blood pressure and the other vital signs and everything else is good.

I think having the ear infection since just before Christmas is part of what has me so tired. I hape to have some energy soon.

Tony went with me to the doctor and helped translate and among the three of us we were able to communicate well. Then Tony and I did errands like getting propane tanks filled. Also found a replacement jar for my blender. I visited a woman who has a small fruit and vegatable store and got some good tangerines.

Think I will just read and watch DVD's for a day or two. I am really relieved that the ear problem is not more serious and I thank Nadine for the suggestions. I have a heating pad I was using but it is now being used as a propagation mat. I do have socks and rice but there is little pain now, more a feeling like my ear has cotton in it.

I think dogs have nightmares about being chased by cats. I've known dogs who had nightmares but the four I have now all generally sleep peacefully.

hugs all around, katie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8335093

I'm afraid what I feared most has happened. My rheumatoid arthritis in both of my shoulders have reached their limit pertaining to medication and injections. The disintergration of my bone structures have left me in severe pain wheras before the injections use to leave me pain free for almost three months or so. I still had discomfort raising my arms and was told not to lift any weight but what am I supposed to do carrying my groceries especially milk? Oh well! Grin and bear it...
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8338099

Katie, Glad you got the antibiotics. Be sure to take everylast one. Eat well balanced meals to get your strength back.Take good care of yourself. We need your friendship.
Am sorry about your sholders tplant. Hope you get some releif soon. Will you have surgery done?
I have CHF and was told not to lift anything over 5 lbs. Yeah Right. Am still alive and kicking.
Here,s to a pain free day.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 30, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8338467

Tplant, I'm so sorry about your shoulders. I know you're having a rough spell right now. Please keep coming back and posting. And always remember that your friends are here for you.

My ear is getting better. A little stuffiness but no pain.

I have an orange tree with blossom buds on it. I also have some beds down in the arroyo that are ready for yacon crowns and whatever else I decide to plant. I have so many old seeds that I may just put a lot of them in with the yacon and see if anything grows.

But I don't think I'll be doing much today. Still low energy. I juiced some fresh vegetables yesterday and may do more today. I have a lot of carrots which tend to make the other vegetables palatable. Also got jumbo shrimp yesterday and ate far too many of them.

Our weather is beginning to warm up. I've got some hollyhock plants started. I have lots of fences for them to grow by.

Time to get out and enjoy the day while doing dishes and laundry.

hugs all around, katie

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8338684

Katiebear, I am so glad you got antibiotics for your ear infection. Being hearing impaired is a serious nuisance and you miss out on a lot of funstuff. I resort to V8 to get veggies into Jim and Nadine. I still haven't convinced Jim that Catsup does not count as a vegetable. :-)
Tplant, sorry to hear about your shoulders. Have you tried glucosamine chondroitin with MSM? "Triple Flex", the brand I use is about $16 a bottle, but it is much more effective when it contains MSm in my experience. It might ease the pain a bit. Prayers you find something that will help.
Did some warmer weather make it up the mountainside, Vickie? Kay*
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8338692

Won't have surgery because my doctor tells me it is to dangerous at my age and all my health problems. It breaks my heart to see all my magnificent roses, Datura, Brugmansia, Orange tree, Mango tree, Star fruit tree and lawn all messed up with weeds. It has gotten so bad for me to see this that I no longer sit out on my deck in the morning with my coffee. I used to admire all my work and so did strangers as I used to pass out roses to them. It was terrible enough losing my "Scooter" but now my beautiful landscaping. There really is nothing left for me here. Knowing that I can't do anything about it breaks my spirit and all I can do is sit and dream of better days.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8338697

Ted, there's no grandchild or neighbor you can hire to weed? As you said, grin and bear it is sometimes all you can do.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8338718

Just now my money is limited as I used one of those debt agencies to reduce my debts which was well over $10,000. The money was spent on lawn equipment, plants, containers, 21 earthboxes plus container mix, fertilizers and a $1600 BBQ plus car repairs well over $3000. It is amazing how it piled up so quickly and when they raised interest rates I decided to use the payment service because that made me angry. I send them $550 per month and have only three more months to go. At that time I will hire a lawn service to cut and weed and share the cost with my son.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 30, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8338895

Ted, You might also check with community agencies, churches, and non-profits in your area. The ones around here usually have service programs for volunteers and kids who are good, but maybe got into a little trouble, and need community service hours. You'd probably need to sit out there and tell them which is a plant and which is a weed, but that wouldn't be too bad, would it? :-) And you'd be helping them at the same time. Barter system is the way to go. LOL

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8339133

Wow, Ted, I'm sorry to hear about that; I didn't know.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8340560

Three years ago I told my son "I've never been so happy in all my life." Then things changed. First my second heart attack or M.I. as they call it which brought on my Post Polio Syndrome to a higer level of weakness to my body followed by severe and extremely painful rheumatoid arthritis of the shoulders which stopped me cold from pulling weeds in my container garden which I had to let them go cause I couldn't pay for a gardener and then my precious "Scooter" died and I just lost it and didn't want to live anymore but something told me to see a therapist and I did for at least six months. She did help and thank goodness I still had my EBs but 21 were to much for me to handle so I gave Flip 14 and kept the rest. Ebs are great because I don't have to weed but I feel useless as my legs are very weak and I must use a cane to walk on the lawn to work my EBs. Thank goodness for them otherwise I wouldn't be able to do any gardening.
I will soon use six EBs for watermelon which are very easy to grow. I have a self watering system thanks to my good buddy BocaBob and will plant mostly Crimson Sweet and experiment with a couple of others I still live with my family so I can not afford my own place at this time therefore I can not replace "Scooter" which would make all the difference in my happiness as I soon will be 74 and don't know how much time I have. I have a slow heartbeat and don't want a pacemaker as that would make me live longer and I don't want to be in anyones way. I died in 98 with my first severe Myocardial Infarcation and it was a beautiful experience and I did not want to come back. Since then I have signed a "non-resusciation" order. Sorry to be so negative but that is the way it is! Forgive me?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 31, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8340602

Ted, I think you are doing what you can to make the best of a difficult situation. You had a near-death experience and didn't want to come back. I had a similar experience when I was quite young; I almost died and I wanted to "go back" to wherever it was I had been (before I was born). I knew I was going to have a rough time in my family of origin and I was right. We had a family doctor who sat by my bed all of one night when I was sickest. I think he willed me to stay alive. They never did diagnos a disease or other problem. As I see it, the doctor's will was stronger than mine at that time so I'm still here seventy years later. I've had some other experiences which also lead me to believe that there is something there for us after death. And when you're dealing with a lot of physical pain and the depression that accompanies it, your atitude is understandable.

I'm really sorry you can't get another dog. I would be lost without mine. Do you have any neighbors who have dogs that you could visit. Not the same, but it might help. Cats can also be good companions if that's a possibility.

Most of all, please keep coming back and keep posting. I'm just recovering from an ear infection that had me lalid low for six weeks. It was accopanied by a problem with my closest neighbors. Being here was a huge help in getting me through it. Now I just have arthritis, a bon spur in my right foot and a few other "minor" problems.

This forum and especially this thread are for people like us - we often have trouble getting through the days while people around us have no clue as to what is happening for us.

Hugs for everyone and an extra big one for Ted,
katie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8340615

Thank You Katie. We do have two cats and they seem to feel my distress. One sits on my lap every chance she gets. She is a sweet cat as is the other a manx that wandered into our home one day and never left. She does not like to be petted or brushed for any length of time. I do love both of them and they do help with my depression. I am on strong heart, arthritis, pancreas and clonzepam and lexpro for post traumatic stress but I still have my difficult days which is quite often.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8340994

I, too, had a near death experience, but at the time I was mother to two little girls who would then have been the custody of their birth father. I knew I couldn't go and leave them with him but it would have been soooooooooooooooo easy!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 1, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8343382

Hi, Ted. Hang in there! I know where youíre coming from. I havenít turned 50 yet, but Iím currently in the transition from ambulatory to wheelchair and have to deal with the chronic pain that is part of Degenerative Disk Disease. It is overwhelming and depressing when I look toward the future. Iíve decided to live one day at a time and let the future take care of itself. That is how I keep going. I am finding that this new approach is sort of liberating. Now that Iím not focused on the future, I can appreciate all the small joys of daily life again. I guess when you canít change anything else, you can still change your mind and attitude. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 1, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8343713

Some really nice people, here, Ted. Many in similar positions. Some not so bad, but hurting, too. ALL willing to lend an ear. Keep posting, it helps.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8345114

If only I could have another Shih-Tzsu but my son and DIL just don't seem to understand my deep hurt. Someday they will and it will be to late. I pray to God every day for help and understanding, I must deal with the pain but the lonliness of losing my "scooter" I just can't seem to get over it. I'm trying to find somewhere else to live but I just don't have enough of a monthly income . All I have is SS and it just doesn't cut it. The bad financial mistakes that I made in the past really hurt me. I never thought I'd be living with my son? Don't get me wrong I paid my own way and took care of the outside of the home and it was beautiful but now it has gone to weeds as I can no longer maintain it and my son has a very bad back and is mostly in pain. He is under MD care. We really need a lawn service but he is hesitant to find one. Perhaps he feels he will be getting better and be able to do the job but I seriously doubt it as once a bad back always a bad back. How I wish a sweet, loving dog would wander onto our property like our two cats did.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 2, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8345947

Shih-Tzu are so adorable! They look like little ewoks to me. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8345990

Hi Ted, Glad you're here. I understand how you feel. I have 3cats and 2 dogs. all are priceless but there is a big difference in how they respond to me. Cats are they're own person. They allow me to love them. A dog is my buddy,my friend.They are wholeheartedly into being my friends. Sure hope you can find a shih tzu.Tho i suspect any little dog would do wonders. I'm glad the cats allow you to love them.
I'm on SS also plus 2 small retirement checks. I own my mobile home and even tho its mine my DD owns the land. Am not an extravagent person. So i do well.
I guess people who have'nt gone thru what we do cannot really understand our frustrations sometimes. Thats why i'm so grateful for the friendship of the great people of this forum.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8349377

So, Ted, it seems to me that both you AND your DS should be getting SSDI. Or I guess you're past the point where you need to prove a disability to the SSA. He can get SSDI if he's been laid up for a year with back pain even if he eventually hopes to go back to work. Or maybe he's like my DH, uses up his sick time and days off hurting and then goes back to work and doesn't say anything.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8355412

carrie -- That is my son exactly. He doesn't want to lose his retirement. Plus the land we are on is school property and if he is inactive we must sell our mobile home as it is almost paid for and it would be a shame plus find a new home.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8355769

Oh, Ted, I sympathize! It's hard to feel understanding when you're dependent on someone else to do everything and the someone else in question has his own health issues...
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 5, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8356489

I came back to Alabama thinking I would take care of my godfather. A doctor told me I was showing the symptoms of the disease Depression, but I didnít accept it at first. I thought what I was experiencing was the everyday sort of depression because I was working too many hours in a stressful job and not getting ahead. My godfather and the others here ended up taking care of me until I finally accepted I do have a medical problem and started taking meds. So, now Iím doing okay and I will be taking care of him. Right?
Yesterday, I slipped on ice and twisted my ankle. (Just a bad sprain, but now I have to stay off my feet as much as possible so it will heal right. There isnít always a clear division between caregiver and care recipient around here. A case could be made there is always some give and take. Even professional caregivers are dependent on those receiving care for their paycheck. We all shore up each other by doing what we can. We are managing so far.
Iíve been a couch potato today, but I spent an hour on the phone with a friend in Texas who is snowed in alone. I think she was glad I was here and not too busy to spend time talking to her. What was that movie called that starred James Stewart about the man who got to see what things would be like if he wasnít around? I know Iím glad all of you are around.
Are you doing okay, Debra? My friend doesnít live that much north of you. She only had electrical power periodically. ~Nadine~.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8356572

Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life." Love that movie too. Sometimes it is good to look back and see some good things we've done in life.And good done for us.
Oh, Nadine, Your poor ankle.Do take care of it.
We're going to try to get into town tomorrow. I'm going to KFC and have some fried chicken than back home to watch the ballgame.
Our weatherman told us today to look forward to Valentines weekend as we should have great weather then.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 6, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8357184

Nadine, think I am depressed a little, too. Last few weeks, I don't want to do anything, not even post on the threads--which have been my lifeline. :-) I truly look forward to your posts. They are fun and entertaining and thoughtful. So you should know that your caregiving "effects" extend beyond PJ. Can't wait to meet you and Kay and Jim. Hope that trip comes to fruition.

Vickie, be careful.

Debra
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8357200

Carrie -- It is plain miserable getting old and disabled and having to depend on my son for a roof over my head. How things have changed. I was well respected in the business world and rubbed elbows with the best and now I'm denied permission to have a little dog to replace my Scooter. I have gone for therapy and it did help plus I'm on post-traumatic stress syndrome medication and it does help. It is just hard for me to believe my situation? Life has thrown me a very mean curve emotionally and healthwise. I hope it ends soon---
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8357608

I agree, Ted. Old age is a #*%X@! I was told not to mention my DH getting a scooter in front of my FIL. They are afraid that if he had another scooter he might hurt himself. I can understand their concern, but Iím a little older than my husband so I see it differently. My FIL is in his late 80ís, for goodness sake. When you reach that age you should be allowed to do whatever you darn well please, as long as itís legal. They want to give him as many days, as possible. They just donít seem to understand that it is not about preserving existence, it is about the quality of LIFE.
It is a Catch 22 for the caregiver, though. If my FIL gets another scooter and something bad does happen, my SIL is afraid people will blame her or the professional caregiver. The problem is there are so many people equate caring for elderly or disabled adults with caring for children.
There was a wonderful program for retired guide dogs for the blind. When an active blind person had to retire a dog due to the dogís age, they were given to older people as pets. A blind person can go through five or more dogs in a lifetime and while some blind people do keep their retired dogs, it is not recommended. The older person got a rigorously trained, usually pure bred, companion and the dog got the retirement it deserved after years of faithful service. (Guide dogs have developed a NEED for close human companionship. It isnít just German shepherds and Labradors. There are schools that use many different breeds. No Shih-Tzu, of course. But, standard-size poodles are sometimes used. Would your son be more open to an adult dog that had been well trained? I think you have a decade or so on me and I know I would be hesitant to take on training and caring for a puppy. Keeping Fenny-dog from taking over the house is becoming quite a challenge for me. Kay*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 6, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8358087

I'm having a blond moment. Help me out here someone. Scooter was the little dog's name? And, the dog's name just got Mama Kay thinking about Grandpa Smith and the scooter (as in mobility device) issue. She has strong feelings about that. Your son is not denying you a mobility device. Have I got it or do I need to dye my hair? I would do it, if I thought it would help. ~N~

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8358156

there are many wonderful canine rescue groups. One that I recently dealt with is -Carolina Poodle Rescue- I have a new family member-Pookie , a 4-5 yer old Mini. He and Elvis get along famously. I actually believe that they may be related. Elvis was purchased from an excellent breeder in Cary NC and Pookie was rescued as a stray along with another mini (white) in the Raleigh/Durham area (basically all within 20 miles or so of each other). CPR has all 3 sizes of Poodles + a few other breeds as well. Check out the web site. Anyway, they look just alike in the face and head shape + have some of the exact same barks or whine sounds. My groomer even mentioned her thoughts on the subject
I truly believe that Pookie is a gift from God to help both me and Elvis with the transitions his very Sr years are and will be bringing.

Here's a side view of the two of them---I think it is rather amazing!!
Elvis is on the left with the long fluffy Poodle ears. Pookie must have a teenie bit of mix in him as his ears are more spaniel fringed than long & fluffy

Sheri, Elvis & Pookie

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8360269

Elvis and Pookie look like they can be a handful. I'm happy for you.
Ted can you sit down and talk to your son and tell him how much a DOG would mean to you? I agree that a grown dog might be a better answer for you.
I'm 70 also and sometimes i worry about my future if i can nolonger care for my self. My memory gets worse all the time, but i'm going to hang on as long as i can.
God and Angels have taken care of me this long. Don't think they'll stop cause i'm getting old.
You have always taken care of yourself and it's hard to change roles now Try to look at it as "I've done my bit now i can relax and find other things to injoy."You've got a good mind so put it to work to make things better for yourself. Could you write an article for DG? Keep a journal? Maybe go to the Beginner forums to help others with questions. Sometimes it is we ourselves who are the only source for helping ourselves. Hang in there Ted!
Good luck with the dog.
Vickie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8360813

Sanas87 --- "Scooter" was my dog . She was a magnificent companion and was always by my side. When my family would go away for a day or long week-end which was very common my other faithfull companion , my wonderful grandsonof 7yrs old, would of course go with them. My son stopped asking me to join them because I was in to much pain and really felt better at home but lonely. This is where my dog would always cheer me up just by her loving glance and playfulness. She loved everyone and everyone loved her. She was a very proud little girl because she was always fresh and clean-cut as I took her to the groomer frequently and she just loved to go.My grandson is my best friend and loves me very much but there is still a huge hole in my heart which no one seems to care about as my family is wrapped up in their own daily lives.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 8, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8361636

At this moment, I can't remember who all did the studies, but I remember reading that there have been several scientific medical studies showing that pet owners are healthier and have a better general sense of well-being than those who do not have pets. Pets are especially good at helping with stress.
My wife does complain about Fenny's antics, but when our neighbor's goats started disappearing and Fenny was a suspect, DW was willing to fight to keep her.
It is the other of our two dogs that is Kay's loyal and faithful companion. Fenny is more like the comic relief. Kay's attempts to train Fenny are reminisent of an Abbott and Costello movie. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8363552

LOL I knew Fenny was special. She has a mind of her own.
Just finished watching a show telling of the intelligence of dogs. Which all dog owners already know.Course they're smart. Is Fenny still bringing up yard lights? My dogs are geneally well behaved. It's the cats that drive me to distraction.
We have broken all snow records with abt 20 inches of snow. Tonight we may break all low temp record for this date. -5*. I need some tropical breezes. Quickly!!
I should be housecleaning but am reading and crocheting instead. I would hate for anyone to visit me at the moment.Theyed have to clear a path-----Thru the house as well as through the yard.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8364530

Tplant needs a pet or maybe a house plant. My DDs are allergic to dogs so I've never quite "got" that connection, but I understand it exists.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 10, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8365295

Vickie, I learned my lesson. All the solar lights are up on post out of reach of dogs and kids. No more ghostly manifestations in the woods.
We have learned that Fennyís feet are ticklish. You can ever so lightly stroke the hairs that extend beyond the pads of Fennyís paws and make her squirm. We are using that as a way to get her to behave.
I was rudely awakened this morning to Tater-dog barking at maximum volume on Kayís side of the bed. Fenny had stolen Tateís beloved stuffed pink elephant and tossed it in our bed. Tate was protesting the theft. I donít know if Tateís hips are so bad she couldnít reach up and retrieve her toy or she just thought doing so would be impolite. Either way, weíve decided Fenny is responsible for the rude awakening and have jointly decided to fight back. Every time Fenny has tried to nap during the day, someone sneaks over and tickles her feet. Maybe, she will sleep tonight instead of bedeviling old Tate. When she gets the normal amount of exercise she isnít so mischievous. Fenny REALLY doesnít like the cold, wet weather and doesnít want to go outside and run. There were snow flurries this morning, but it didnít survive long on the ground. I think everyone is getting cabin fever. Nadine wrapped up her ankle with an elastic bandage and went out for dinner, just to get away from the house for awhile. She went by the Mission Store to say ďHiĒ to everyone and came up with an idea. She suggested we pot up all the azaleas and oleanders we are removing from the landscape, give them a little recovery time in the pots, and take them to the Rescue Mission Thrift Store when the azaleas start to bloom. The plants will have new homes rather then just being tossed out. I like that idea. They are healthy plants. They just arenít good ones to have around where there are honeybee hives. (Jim)

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8365598

The first thing that came to mind this morning was the way my friend described having congestive heart failure. He said he woke up in the wolf hours of the morning with a terrible feeling of pressure in his chest. He described the sensation as ďlike having an elephant sitting on your chest.Ē To top it all off, his bassett hound, sensing his distress, started howling.
Thinking of my friend, put things into prespective. Waking up with a dusty, dog drooled, fluffy pink elephant sitting on your chest didnít seem so bad. And, even though Valentine does have a loud bark, it doesnít compare to that unearthly sound a Bassett hound makes. Officially, my dogís name is Valentine. Not Tate, Tater-dog or Miss Potatohead. She is much smarter than she seems. She is predominately yellow Labrador so the poor dear has to deal with that blond sterotype. :-)
Carrie, if you catch any pet owner at the right moment, (such as 4:30 in the morning when their beloved pet is barking in their ear.) they would probably tell you they envy you your pet free existence. Kay*
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 11, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8366031

Hi y'all!
Just popping n to say hello. I haven't been here in forever. I have to confess to following Ted over here. He's my hero. He taught me everything I know about tomatoes and earthboxes. I'll be starting my tomato seeds this week-end and noticed his name pop up on this forum so wandered over to catch up.

This has been *one rough winter ... hasn't it? We haven't had any snow here on the GA/FL border, but it's been waaay too cold for me!

Ted, I know too well what a hole losing a furfriend can leave. I am another that wishes you could get another companion.

I don't know how many of you know that I lost my guide dog last Feb and am happily owned by an 85 lb black lab named Moses. He's awesome!

To those of you suffering from depression, I was in the grips of it when I lost my girl last year. I didn't want to even get out of bed. I had depended on her for so long, and the wait for getting in a school was longer. It was the first time in a long time I felt "blind".

Okay, off to start trying to narrow down which seeds I'm going to do ... I always over order. I only have space for 24.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 11, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8366378

Thank You for your most gracious compliment! Our weather here has quickly turned to summer with 80* temps. What nis going on? I don't know how much more gardening I'll be able to do because given the fact that EBs are the best for the people but a true blessing for the disabled I can not lift or strain my shoulder as they ARE IN VERY SERIOUS condition and can snap very easily and then I must have the dangerous surgery for me. My challenge is how to move the EBs without getting hurt? I can not depend on any help.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 11, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8366525

Birdie, Elvis and Pookie do look related.
I01, Moses is a big guy! Black labs are my favorite large breed. They look sleeker than yellow or chocolate labs to me. I think Fenny is a black lab mix. I asked the vet once, but he just laughed and said he is only 98% sure Fenny is a dog.
That is sad, Tplant. I follow your tomato growing thread as well. Iím in my early 20ís so Iím a newbie gardener. Most newbie garden books seem to be written by and/or for northeast, mid-Atlantic and mid-west gardeners. There are some good books on ornamental gardening in the deep south, but I havenít found any good ones for vegetable gardening with a southern accent. I guess garden writerís think, if you grew up in the south, you automatically picked up all the garden basics you need to know by osmosis or something.
Peace has returned to our little kingdom. TaterÖI mean Valentine slept in MK's bedroom with the door closed so Fenny couldnít pick on her and Fenny and I were spared Taterdogís loud snoring. Everyone got a good nightís sleep with the noisy sleepers separated from the restless sleepers and all are satisfied.
Iím sorry, but Miss Potatohead (a.k.a.: Tater-dog) does suit MKís dog better than Valentine. She does the dumbest things sometimes. MK is dismantling the dog pen to make room for another garden in that corner. (The dogís both have perimeter collars so we donít need a dog pen anymore.) Tater, as usual, was following her around as she worked. Fenny was going in and out of the pen freely since the gate wasnít latched. Shouldering the gate open to get out and nosing it open to go in. But, MK had to stop work and hold the gate open for Tater every time she went in or out. If the gate was closed, Tate seemed to believe she couldnít go in or out. Even though Fenny was going in and out right in front of her and the north portion of the fence was already gone, Tater would stand at the gate and bark forsomeone to open it.
A few nights ago, I put the curtain from in front of the sliding glass door in the laundry and cleaned the glass. While the curtain was still in the dryer, Tater was standing in front of the glass growling at her reflection. I donít know if she thought there was another dog outside who happened to look just like her or if she was practicing looking intimidating in front of the make-shift mirror, but I laughed until my side hurt. Fenny is not the only comic relief around here.
How many cats are there sheltering at your house now, Vickie? ~Nadine~
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8367084

I prefer to think my darling is such a regal lady she just expects certain considerations, like having doors opened for her. Perhaps, we can settle on calling her ďQueen Tater.Ē lol.
Iím so glad you have a new dog, Susan.
Has anyone seen Katiebear on other DG forums? Iím just wondering if she is sick or something. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 11, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8367347

Nadine, I'd get you a dog DNA kit, but then that would spoil it. :-)

Kay, Queen Tater sounds perfect.

Ted, those EBs look like something even I could do.

Jim, Fenny is one smart dog.

Carrie, Vickie, Susan, Sheri...Hi, hope you are staying as warm as you can. :-)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 11, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8367488

Kay and Jim, I'm still laughing at the antics at your place.

Nadine, you have a wonderful since of humor and a great way with words. LOL

Debra, EBs are just perfect. I have 15 and my goal is for 16. After all, and odd number is such a pathetic thing. hahaha This gives me 12 for tomatoes, which translates into 24 plants, 2 for cucumbers and 1 for peppers. If I add 1 more, I could have 2 more tomatoes! ☺ Ted is the one that got me hooked on them. No weeding!

Moses is such a smart guy, but I have never heard him make but 1 tiny "woof". I threw his frisbee over the fence, and I think he was saying "I want my frisbee back." My DH says he hasn't had anything else to complain about at least. I can tell you one thing, being active again has sure changed my outlook on things. I didn't realize how depressed I had gotten.

Carrie, I want to tell you how much I always enjoy all your wonderful articles. No matter what your topics are, they are always interesting.

Okay, I'll have to go way back to remember everyone, so forgive me if I can't speak to everyone. Will just ~ to anyone I've missed. Thanks for the welcome back. ~Susan
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8367512

LOL, Count on me staying warm. My brood of animals too.The dogs won't go out unless absolutely necessary.
The cats are in and out quickly. Probably a good thing. Except for their path, the snow is almost over their heads.
I found a bunch of yarn and have had fun crocheting, all 3 cats have to come get in my lap and watch every movement my hands make. Every now and then one will pounce in the middle of my work and try to take off with the yarn. I yell C-A-T-T-T-T!!!!!! and 3 cats scatter in the wind, only to return in abt 10
minutes. They are so much fun. I have 5 buddys. 3 cats and 2 dogs. That is my limit. I can't take care of anymore. The dogs are old and settled in their ways. They'll get frisky when it warms up outside but for now they're happy laying around except for a brief chase down the hall once a day.Right now Dillen is laying across the doorway of my computer room,to keep the cats from coming in. They will come to the door and meaw till i make Dillen move.
I've had some black labs. They were all such sweet dogs.
I have'nt heard anything from Katie either. Hope all is well. I know she was depressed. I don't have a snail mail address for her either.
Fenny is a dog after my own heart. She should be treated like a queen.
Nadene, Does ALA have a magazine called Alabama Gardener. I get the Arkansas Gardener.It has info about when to plant.
Glad you have a new dog also Susan. Is it hard for you to get use to each other? Personality wise? I've wondered about that before.
Night all, Dream of spring flowers,warm breezes,and butterflys.
Vickie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8367931

How I envy all of you pet owners. Maybe someday I will have my angel. If not in this life definertly in the next. I know having a dog would definetly help me with all my illness but it just doesn't seem to be in this life. I love my families two cats but they are to aloof for me whereas my "Scooter" would constantly be at my side and cheer me up when I was really down. My family told me she was very depressed when I was hospitalized with my second heart attack. I was talking to the Nurse Manager about my little dog and how I missed her and she gave me special permission for her to come see me. That same day I heard her nails ticking coming off the elevator and I called "Scoots" and her ears and tail went up and she saw me and dashed to me ,hopped into the chair where I was sitting at the time and all the nurses saw my monitor take a turn for the best and they came into my room to see a different person. "Scooter" laid between my legs as I was on a recliner with her head held high and tail wagging. I was so happy and the next day was allowed to go home. At home she really would go everywhere with me. How I loved that dog and when she died two months later I was back in the hospital with severe depression.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8368331

Susan, how lovely to have you back! Moses is the perfect name for a GUIDE, and thanks for the compliment about my articles. There should be one soon about the crazy weather (if the powers that be decide it's neither too controversial nor too bland) and then one, in honor of National Invasive Species Awareness Week, on burning bush, euonymus alata, which is a big problem up here.

I'm so jealous of you EB people and your year-round tomato weather! We barely have tinme for one short crop up here. I have one (1) EB and DH never did set up the trellis part properly. (Poor me?)

Seriously, DD#1 who is nearly a senior in college in AZ, is NOT allergic to cats and dogs. She just hasn't been ready for the responsibility. But she, too, has been battling depression, and maybe a month ago took in a stray dog for a week or so. It was obviously Somebody's Dog; it was housebroken, walked on a leash, had a collar but no ID, and so she made every effort to find the owner (and did). But she said that for the week or two that she had that dog, she felt so much joy, so little depression, so much energy ... maybe I should encourage her to get a dog. But then her sister could never visit her; they'd be allergic to each other.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 12, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8369125

Thanks for the welcome carrie. I'll be watching for that new article. ☺ Moses is indeed a perfect name for my guy. He was given that because Moses led his people out of bondage to freedom. That's exactly what Moses has given me ... my freedom. My dog before Kota was Caleb. As you know, Caleb along with Joshua led the Israelites into the Promised Land. I saw a lot of "promised lands" with him. LOL

It's sad your DD#1 can't have a dog. It's a proven fact that indorphins are released in the brain when you pet a dog and indorphins are anti-depressants, and dogs also help to relieve stress.

Ted, may I ask how moble you are? Is your main obsticle to getting a dog monitary or the fact that you live with family?

Well, would you look at the time? I best get a move on. Tomorrow is Sunday.
~ing to everyone for now.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8369135

When I was still quite young, we lived in appartments and could not have a dog. Rather I should say that there was probably a pet deposit & my parents may have felt that it would be an additional responsibility for them after being at work all day.

Once I had two hamsters, Snowball and Taffy (can you guess what color they were? Children are so imaginative in their naming of pets! I also had a parakeet who learned to say "pretty bird' after many long months of my repeating it over and over and over to "etey after school and in the morning..

wing~~'s alll around,
Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 13, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8369678

Hi - Thanks for asking about me Kay. I'm still here just don't feel much like posting. Lots of depression going on. I'm going to Ca. in a couple of weeks and will see my doctor and maybe do another adjustment on my meds.

katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8370058

Hi, I'm here just not much to say.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 13, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8370094

Here, Carrie. These survived the last cold snap. Almost a week below zero, which is almost unheard of here. Spring is coming, I promise.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8370338

Aren't those bulbs? Sorry, Sheri, I should have said hello. "Hello!"
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 13, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8370366

They are. This isn't, though. The Scabiosa did very well through the cold and snow and ice. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 13, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8370638

Okay, it went down like this. My plan was simply to pick up some English daisies and pansy seeds for Mama Kay as a Valentineís Day gift. She enjoys growing from seed and those flowers can be planted outside right away. I bought just a few more than that. lol. Like about 20 packets. It is really easy to get carried away when you start looking at those pretty pictures on the packets and start imagining what you could create.
Papa Jim wasnít upset, even though it was his money I spent. He suggested that since I enjoy looking through seeds so much, I could take on the task of sorting and listing all the seed varieties in Amargiaís ďseed bank.Ē He said, with a complete seed list in hand, we could make better plans. I decided the sorting and recording job would be easier if I had the seeds within armís reach of my desk and computer. I didnít realize when I agreed to the task that it would take a cardboard box that was 3í tall, 3í long, and 2í wide to hold them all. I am evidently not the only one at Amargia who underwent a seed buying frenzy. I believe behind P.J.ís ďShucks, Iím just an ole Pennsylvania farm boy.Ē facade, there lurks a devious old man. He used my temporary seed buying insanity to get this job done. THERE! I feel better now. Back to work.
Anyone want some yellow bell orchid tree seeds (bauhinia tomentosa)? MK says to find new homes for the marginally hardy things.
Vickie, I remember seeing an old issue of Alabama GardenerĒ around here. Iíll see if it is still being published.
Iím going to take a break and plant a few ĎJellybeaní grape tomatoes in pots. Those sound fun. They should be a good transplant size by the time it is warm enough for them outside.
Carrie, the only euonymus we have is a type with variegated, leathery, evergreen leaves I like those. We tried Burning Bush here once. They did not color up in the fall as advertised and a couple of particularly hot summers did them in. (See, it isnít so bad. All New England needs is a couple 110 degree summers to get the euonymus under control. ;-) Can you tell us in the article if the claims for the spectacular fall color are true when they are happy with their climate or if it is all nurserymenís marketing hype? I wonder about that. ~Nadine~
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 13, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8370714

I've wondered the same thing about the Burning Bush, also. I had a Little Henry Sweetspire which was suppose to be a zone 8 and also suppose to turn red. Well, it died before it got the chance. :-( Guess what? I have blooms on my Daphne!

I started my 26 tomato seeds this afternoon. ☺

To those of you suffering from depression, remember, the days are getting longer and soon the time will change. I'm sending hugs to all who need them tonight.
~Susan
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8370777

Thanks for the hug it was sorely needed. GROUND IS STILL SNOW COVERED.With temps in the 50,s
Went to town and the only snow there was in Wally World parking lot--in piles.
Am still working on Afghan with every color yarn i have.That does help.
Also started looking at Arkansas camp ground liturature.
Bought some Elephant Ear bulbs.
I tried growing a Burning Bush once and it died here also.
Carrie, I agree that you need a 110* summer just once now that we've had a taste of 0* weather.LOL I mean we'd hate to be selfish about the whole thing.
Tomorrow would have been DH and mine,52nd anniversary.
Am thankful i was married to this man for 48 years. I almost had him completely trained or he me. Not quite sure which.
Vickie
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 14, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8372291

Wow Vickie ... that's a long time to be together. Me and my DH have been married almost 37. I'm not really that old ... I married him when I was 6. ☺
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8372684

Awesome, Vickie. You were married twice as long as Iíve been alive. :-)
My BF is in CT. He just got unlimited texting. I sort of wish he didnít have it so I guess this relationship has an expiration date coming up. Heís driving me up the wall!
I didnít do much of interest today. I did go to the library to get the crow a new book. lol. I like to read outside and there is a silly crow who likes to sit on the fence behind my favorite reading place. The Terminex man came today. He was laughing because he said it looked funny from a distance. Almost like the crow was reading over my shoulder and wasnít impressed by my choice of reading material. ~Nadine~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8372814

Wow, this was the best Valentineís Day I can remember. It was a beautiful sunny day just warm enough to be comfortable outside. Iím creating a sitting area under an old oak near the brook. . I was able to work on it today and discovered the first bulbs have poked up their heads.
Iíve eaten all my favorite foods, including a dinner of chicken cordon bleu and asparagus. I even got a Valentine from a lovely woman who is not my wife. This means I was able to tease Kay about it all day and that is one of my favorite pastimes. My mystery Valentine was thoughtful enough to send me a recipe for no-sugar goodies. After todayís extravagances I will have to be doubly diligent about my diet. I did limit myself to a single dessert, but it was a decadent one. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2011
1:13 AM

Post #8372849

Jim and Nadine. I am completely jealous of you two.
A crow to talk to and a brook to listen to. We're all going to head down to your place tomorrow.LOL Just a few more days and i'll be outside also.
Decadent deserts huh? Mine are too. I can't get enough toasted marshmellows.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 15, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8373529

I guess, in a way, marshmallows were what I was craving too. I was craving Pennsylvania-style whoopie pies. That is basically two mini chocolate cakes sandwiched together with a soft marshmallow cream. They aren't very sophisticated. In fact, they were a classic lunch box treat when I was growing up. I've been wanting one for a while though and there aren't any nice Amish ladies Giving them to us kids at the feed store. Next, I'll challenge the cooks here by putting in a request for "Chickie dirt." lol (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8373892

For anyone who needs cheering today, one look at these and you will feel better, even if just a little tiny bit. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8374185

^_^ not revealing my age or length of marriage ^_^
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8374496

AW-W-W-W Sheri,Fess up now!!!
Debra, beautiful spring colors. I've forgotten what they are.
Chicky Dirt does not sound good. Sorry Jim.
Kay are you of Siminole descent? Or Cherekee? or neither?
Spring showers tomorrow.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 16, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8374900

Vicki, they are Iceland/Icelandic Poppies. Never seen them for sale here before, guess because they are a cool season flower. If they make it until June, I will be well satisfied. Got Mexican Feather Grass, too. A little apprehensive about that one since it can ferociously reseed. But it is soooooo beautiful.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 17, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8378363

Debra, that is a cool season flower I've not thought of for here, but I bet if it can handle your climate, it can handle ours. Do all poppies have rich, saturated colors? Even the white is an intense white. Are there soft pastel poppies?
lol, Vickie. It taste better than it sounds.
Kay and Nadi share your opinion though. They say it sounds gross. I guess I'll have to prepare it for them or, maybe, just make up a new name for it and then give them the recipe..
Kay and Nadi will be around tomorrow. Kay caught a serious case of planting fever and I think she may have infected Nadine. Thankfully, they've almost run through the seeds that can be planted this early. The condition appears to be self-limiting. :-) Jim
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8378365

They are beautiful. Thanks
Now that i think of it... I've never seen a pastel poppy. I grew the sominifera poppys for a few years. They were reds.The seeds are hard to find but they are around.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2011 12:16 AM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 18, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8378838

They do come in pastels, but only in some varieties like the Orientale. I think most of the California Poppies are bright oranges and yellows. Looking for seed to sow some Flanders Poppies. Love that really bright true red color.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8379794

There is a place that specializes in poppy seeds - California and the real ones - that has EVERYTHING! There are sort of sunsetty colored California ones but I've never gotten them to grow for me. There are coral Oriental (perennial) poppies. Google poppies - it's called House of poppies or Poppy Place or something, and that's all they carry!

This marriage is in it's 11th year. I have a 20 yo daughter. I'm approaching a significant birthday.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8379820

Oh I have a hitch in my get-a-long and it sure does hurt!!! Think my L4-5 is bulging a bit more than usual. All I did was lean down and twist slightly to my left to put a leash on Pookie. Maybe Elvis can walk him tomorrow.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8379930

One day I'm going to have a dog who is small enough I can walk her. Fenny and Tate walk me and my significant birthday is too far behind me to enjoy the walks they take me on. Squirrel sightings can be downright dangerous.
Iíve been incredibly lazy today. Iím experimenting with a formula that is reputed to reduce heart attacks by putting nitric oxide into your system at night. I canít read labels anymore. I didnít realize it also contained a MILD sleep aid. I didnít wake up until a little afternoon. Jim and Nadine had already done the jobs I planned to do outside so I puttered in the house all day.
Vickie, my mother was an inter-tribal mix of Muskogee Creek, Miccosukee and Oklahoma Cherokee with some Dutch thrown in. (Things really got jumbled up during and after the Removal. She referred to herself as ďjust your typical Okie mongrel.Ē) Family legend has it that my great-great grandfather was a Dutch-American soldier who was ďescortingĒ the Creek across the Mississippi during the Removal in 1835. He developed a life-threatening secondary infection, allergic reaction or something after being bitten by a non-poisonous snake. My great. Great grandmother decided that despite the circumstances she couldnít stand by and watch him die when she had the means to help him. Evidently, military field medicine was very crude then and that was a real possibility. He got to know her as a person while she was treating him. There were too many challenges to such a relationship in a ďcivilizedĒ region so they married and settled near what is now Chickasha, Oklahoma. Iíve always thought that would be a fun story to try and write. Iíve never read much historical fiction though and the research it would require always seemed too daunting. Was it the Chickasaw who were removed to Arkansas? I can't remember.
I like saturated colors. (Think that could be because they are the only ones I can still see? lol.) The CanDo Container garden is soft hues. I think Jim is looking for flowers that will work there. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8381427

http://www.onestoppoppyshoppe.com/servlet/StoreFront

I think the Californias will grow best in your climate - they have some that I would call "soft hues." You're going to kill me though, because this store is expensive!

That's a lovely story, Jim!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 19, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8381631

I know we've grown California poppies before. I don't remember ever seeing any other kind. They were an eye-piercing tangerine orange type. My plan is to create a grid of wildflower plots around the hives that are bee favorites. I'm hoping I can get the bright orange species type to naturalize. I believe I saw those on a list of excellent beekeeping plants. Planted some Standing Cypress today, but the hummingbirds will probably lay claim to those. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
1:05 AM

Post #8381825

Found some blue crocus blooming outside today. The yellow and purple should show themselves soon. My jonquils are budding out.
A beautiful story Kay. There are still Chickasaw in Arkansas and Oklahoma. They're closely related to the Choctaw. DH,s bloodline. They are both part of the 5 civilized tribes (Whatever that means)
The trail of tears comes thru near here. So they would have seen my mountains. A part of our history I'm very ashamed of.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011

Post #8382455

There's lots of history to be ashamed of. Locally, there's the town of Amherst, MA, a very elite college Amherst College, and UMass Amherst. These are all named after Lord Jeffery Amherst who was Governor of the Colony of Massachusetts in the 1600s or maybe early 1700s. Anyway, today he is best remembered for kindly distributing blankets to Native Americans in the winter - blankets which were inoculated with SMALLPOX! Way to wipe out the indigenous population!!!!!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 20, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8382915

Wow, it looks like I really DID learn something in school, Vickie. When you mentioned "civilized tribes" their names jumped into my head. Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cherokee and Seminole were the five civilized tribes according to my Alabama history classes. I was lucky to have Miss Helen (Mama Kay's Mama) around to supplement what I learned in school. It was sort of like the way that radio personality always ended his broadcast: "Now, you know the rest of the story." (What was that man's name?) ) Things were never as dry and clean cut as the history books made them sound. I always had to remember to write down what the books said on test, even though I knew the things Miss Helen told me were probably the real facts.
They were called the "civilized" tribes because they were settled, practiced a sophisticated kind of agriculture and had a complex social structure. Miss Helen said that could also be said of other tribes and the Seminole were not exactly a distinct tribe. They were rebellious Creeks who refused to accept alliance and treaties the official Creek leaders made. But, I always liked stories about Osceola, the rebel Seminole leader because (according to Miss Helen) he was part Scottish. I guess that would account for some of his behavior. :-)
There are good and bad among all peoples. I think the most incredible love story I ever heard was set in Louisiana in the early 1800s. A poor Irish immigrant agreed to 7 years as an indentured servant in order to buy the freedom of the Creole woman he wanted to marry. The slave owner was quite happy to exchange a petite, frail slave for the work of a healthy, strapping, young man.. The young Irishman only had to spend 3 years as an indentured servant. His wife bought him out of the contract. With her small hands, she was able to produce elaborately detailed needlework that was all the rage in New Orleans. She became the most sought after seamstress there in those 3 years. Even in histories darkest moments, there are a few blazing, points of light. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8383505

If more intrestng storys like that were put in history books they would be more injoyable.
I met a geologest once that grew up with the Lee famiy in Virginia. He said the whole famly was either an idiot or a genius, with no inbetweens.Now that was intresting. LOL Yes i think Lee was a genius and so was Grant.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8385362

I think the radio personality Nadine was referring to was Paul Harvey. I miss his programs.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8385516

Oh yes, I miss him too.
Did'nt his son take over for awhile and just was'nt the same?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8385539

Yes, that's who I meant. My Dad didn't like country music much, but he tuned the radio to a country and western station at noon every weekday to hear Paul Harvey.
I liked today's article, Carrie. It wasn't so much that the temperature here got lower than normal as that it stayed at the low temps for a longer time. We didn't have the usual dramatic warm up during the daytime hours. Our "cold snaps" were more like a sustained drum roll. The peaches are budding out, I sure hope the temps don't take a dive. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
12:22 AM

Post #8385725

I liked your article also Carrie.
I can't seem to get off the puter tonight. I keep thinking of things i want to google.
The latest search was camp cooking. LOL Truely amazing how much stuff is online about camp cooking. My favorite is to put a fish on a stick and hold it over the campfire till done. Now that is right up my alley. LOL You think I'm not going to try it?
Anyone want to donate a fish? Or will i have to catch it too?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8386607

Oh, thank you, thank you for liking my article. I got so many negative comments! Yowzer!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 23, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8388163

Well, I liked it too! ☺

And you know what they say about giving a man a fish ... LOL
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8389557

Yeah, Vickie, from what I've read you have a perfectly fine lake nearby. I've got plenty of wild cane if you want to make your own fishing pole. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 24, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8390737

Vickie, you've made a few more campfires than I have. Have you ever heard that apple wood will burn blue? PJ pruned the apple trees today and offered me the wood for my campfire. He claimed he had heard that it will sometimes produced blue flame. I was trying to find out if that is really true before I bother to cut it up for my outdoor "fireplace." MK used the top off the old charcoal grill for something. I turn the base into a place for me to have a fire near the house.
I heard a strange growl when I was on my night walk a few nights ago. It was probably just a throaty bobcat, but, since Fenny was afraid of it I'm staying near the house at night and keeping a fire burning while I'm out. Most wild animals avoid the smell of smoke. Is that why you like campfires at night? To keep the bears from getting too comfortable around your house? I'm not scared of bobcats, but, given Fenny's reaction, a swamp cat (Florida panther is a possibility. ~Nadine~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 24, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8391293

I think it's the Vermont Boojer taking a vacation. You know the park ranger at Mt. Washington said the boojer is drawn to camp fires. The Florida panther is an endangered species. I think there are maybe 100 or 200 of them alive.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
2:32 AM

Post #8391451

We've got cane up here too.
LOL We've got lakes and rivers all over. I've never been able to kill a fish,so i'll have to overcome that. I'll never kill more than i can eat.
What is a Vermont Boojer. Do i want one?
We don't have panthers around here. But someone (a newspaper editor) Published a picture of one at his place, north of here last year.
I pay close attention to my dogs when i'm out walking. Dogs don't lie. If they are afraid. I figure there is a reason. I'm really not afraid of anything in the woods,If i'm alone. I'm just not a threat to anything. I'm respectful but not afraid.
Apple wood is supposed to make great smoked Bar-B-que.If you wanted to try it soak it in Water for a day than put it on your coals when you are ready to cook.
A blue flame is the hottest kind of flame. I just love to watch the fire. Must be a throwback to my caveman ancestors. I hate big fires but love a small fire. Only a couple pieces of wood burning.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8392015

Cando1 -- You really should carry a forty-five even if only to fire in the air and scare the animal afterall it is legal in your state and they are very patient and sneaky or avoid the area and stay in the open.

Well anyway I went for my MRI on my shoulder yesterday. I didnt realize that there were different size machines. Mine was no bigger than a torpedo tube and very claustaphobic. I should have taken a valium but it was to late as I was already in the machine. I must have another on my left shoulder and this time I will take a valium. Hope I don't need surgery but I have a bad feeling that I will or it might be something more serious.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8393231

Ted, Iím a retired medical transcriptionist. I canít count how many times I typed up lab reports in which the patient suffered a panic attack during an MRI. Glad you got through it.
Vickie, my sister and I came across some BIG animal in the woods one night while camping in VT. All we had were penlights so we never did get a good look at what was chasing us. My BIL said there were moose tracks. We probably startled a moose. My sister stands by her claim that it had glowing eyes. All I know is it was big. When I hear something that big crashing through the woods toward me, Iím running the other way. I think the Vermont Boojer was something the park rangers made up on the spot to have some fun with the ďleaf peepersĒ who got freaked out over a silly moose. I had heard of Maine's birdman, but that was the first time I'd ever heard of the Vermont boojer. My sister and I still get teased about it because neither of us will go into the woods at night anymore. Since Arkansas has bears, you really donít need a boojer to scare tourist. :-) There are no animals in our forest larger than a white-tailed deer or the occasional wild boar. Bobcats and feral dogs are the largest predators. (I donít count the alligators since there limited to the waterside. I can remember hearing the screams of panthers at night here when I was young, but I havenít heard one for years.
There IS some animal prowling outside at night Fenny doesnít like. My money is on a feral dog. It is sad, but we occasionally see entire packs of wild dogs. That is not just a problem here I gather. My niece in TX leaves out 50 lb. bags of dog food in an automatic feeder for the wild dogs. She says she doesnít dare approach them, but canít stand by and see them slowly starve.
If it ever came down to survival, I would have to get my protein from fish. I can dress out a fish with no problem, but I donít have the heart or the stomach to raise livestock and Iím a little phobic about chickens.
Iíve suggested a taser to Nadine because she is out alone so often, but sheís heard that when you take the course on using one, the instructors require you to be tasked at least once to get your permit. She says there is no way she is going to let anyone tase her. Some people lose control of their bladder and/or bowels when they are tased. She says, with her luck, she would be one of those.
We are still organizing and planting seeds. The list is finished, but we are still putting print and Braille labels on the jars. Today it was radishes, broccoli and spinach we planted. Kay*

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 26, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8393598

Ted, I have to get brain MRIs for MS and have the same problem. It helps me to keep my eyes closed the entire time, make sure I am as comfortably settled as possible before I let them start (it takes me some wiggling, like a cat), and don't move my hands away from my sides. When the process begins, I try to use those thumping noises the machines make to pickup a song pattern and focus on the song(s) in my head rather than where I am. Of course, Valium would help even more, I just never remember to ask my neurologist for a couple. LOL

Kay, you have patience. Seeds frustrate me. I want that instant gratification of putting a real live already green growing plant in the ground right-this-very-#$&^#$-minute! :-) I have a goal of trying two packets of something each Spring until mayyyybe...

Debra
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 26, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8394197

I've made it safely to Ca. Lots of rain and floods and detours (unmarked) in TJ but I'm in Chula Vista with many, many packages in my van. The Mail Max is closed tomorrow so I'll be back Monday.

hugs, katie

P.S. Ii'm not very patient with seeds either, but it's that or smuggle plants across the border. I do both.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8394222

Debra, with your work schedule, I imagine growing from seed would be difficult. Like almost everything else, it comes down to a choice between spending time or spending money. I have more time than money. I hope I do anyway. If not, I'm in trouble. :-)
I have my GCs next week so I'm busy child-proofing the house. I adore my grandsons, but they are exhausting. I had three daughters and three grandaughters first. Then, these two little guys came along. I'm still trying to get the hang of keeping little boys occupied and out of too much trouble. Is it just my inexperience, or is keeping little boys totally out of trouble impossible? Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 26, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8394496

Well, it is at least very very difficult. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 26, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8394789

I think the bees are going to make an honest gardener out of me just by the quantity of nectar plants they need. PJ and I are both nursery bench bandits. We let MK germinate the seeds and get them up to a good transplant size, then we snatch them off her benches. When MK calculates how many seeds she needs to sow to get the right number of plants for a project, she factors in a few losses to bench bandits the same way she factors in losses to birds or freaky weather.
It doesn't make good economic sense for me to buy large quantities of a single type plant from a nursery, even if I could find one nearby that sells good nectar source plants. The hot, new plants at the nursery may make great eye candy for people, but I've spent time watching bees. They seem to prefer the old, familiar standbys. Those are often available only as seeds. I am becoming a seedsperson by necessity.
Planted moonflowers to share a trellis with a dark, red no-ID, climbing rose. Also, two kinds of thyme in pots. Everything is bursting into bloom. I'll take some pics tomorrow. ~Nadine~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8394926

I had more problems with my girls than my Gsons. I kept them happy with nature hunts outside and inside I'd spread newspapers all over the dining room an give them a hand mirror and water paints and let them paint their faces. Than took pictures. The girls only would go so long on anything and wanted something different. On car trips I heard constantly---"She touched me!"" She,s on my side of the car!" Then I threatened to sing and everyone was quiet.
Ted, DD has trouble with MRI,s too and she takes valium. Hope all turns out ok with your shoulders.

I used to like to plant seeds for a big garden but now it just is'nt worth it, so i buy plants. I'm lucky to have a good local nursery down the road. Tho I'm thinking about getting some radish and lettuce seeds.
I may be fooish but i simply don't worry about anything in the woods. I grew up in the woods. I'm much more comfortable and at home there than i am in town. But i'm not worried about people either. God takes care of fools and children.LOL
Nadine, I'm not letting you or Jim anywhere near my plants.
I have more time than money for sure. Now if i had the get up and go, I'd be in good shape.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8395409

What I'm concerned about is the big C as the pain is far to intense for arthritis but I hope I'm wrong! I can no longer work in my garden because of the severe pain which only my son and grandson empathise with me. It is a comfort to me to know that someone really cares and understands. I cut my forearm last week on a door latch and actualluy sliced the skin off the arm and because I take plavix for my heart it continually bleeds so my son makes it his business to dress it twice a day and the bleeding has finally stopped after six days. That is one of the drawbacks of plavix.
I am wondering if I will ever get to work in my garden again because of my intense pain of my shoulders especially my right shoulder. My tomato EBs must be cleaned out to plant my fantastic watermelons that really require less care than any thing else. I only spray with Ortho Insect Spray twice a season and that is it. Everything is sitting on weed cloth and this really cuts back on weeding. I wish some of you guys lived close by and maybe could spare me a couple of hours?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 27, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8395469

Wouldn't that be fun? Get a big ol' RV convoy going and troop down for a whack-'em-and-weed-'em? :-) All of us meet up in Jacksonville and head on down I95. I've only ever been to the Space Coast, lived there couple of years when I was a kid. Never seen the southern area of Florida.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8396634

If it has been 10 years since your last tetanus shot, or you cannot remember when your last one was. Please go get one
I also take NSAIDs and thus bleed forever till it stops.

Please,, please don not let the fear of what you may find out keep you from seeing the MD. there are such effective treatments now, but n=most of them need to be begun early..Please, Please make an appointment to see someone. You might be worrying about something that is very simple to fix.

thoughts and prayers being sent your way,
Sheri.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011

Post #8397897

Sheri - I am seeing five MDs for different problems including my heart. An MRI was taken last Thursday and will know the results as soon as my rheumatologist calls me which may be tomorrow. I'm really not worried as "What will be - Will be!"

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8397957

Tplant - God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. No matter what the Drs may tell you, God does still perform miracles.
You are in my prayers and I will add you to my church prayer list if that is OK with you.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 28, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8398040

MRIs are nerve-racking. It probably doesn't bother me as much as most. Twenty years in aviation electronics means I spent a lot of time squeezed into tight spaces in planes while hearing odd noises from the other members of the maintenance crew working out of sight. (Civilian aircraft were especially bad since they had fewer access panels.) I can usually distract myself during an MRI by thinking about how the machinery works. I still get occasional flashes of Robin Cook novels I've read though. :-)
Kay says she is only going to plant little 'Sugar Baby' or 'Babino' watermelons this year. I do wish we lived closer. I would like to see your EB set-up. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8398681

Jim, You get big kudos for your job. I got to go thru a F16 factory in Fort worth once. That was really a tiny place inside to work.
Sugarbabies are good watermelons. That is the kind i grew. Am tempted to try again this year. Wish i could see it too. Gas prices are out of sight for me right now.
We had a little exitement last night. We felt a 4 earthquake at 11 pm. Only shook the walls and no damage. Just last week i said they would'nt affect us in the mountains...Wrong. My animals did'nt even blink. I was a little unnerved for a moment or so but got over it.
Everyone should have a tetinus shot every 5 or 6 years. I saw a case once. It's not pretty. BTW when you go to the ER with an injury and they give you a tetinus shot, It won't do a bit of good for that injury only one down the road.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8398806

Started a new thread. Come on over.
Vickie
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161328/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America