Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

African Violets and Gesneriads: why are my AV leaves turning yellow?

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 15, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flfwrs
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8321857

All of my violets have this to one degree or another. The ones I propogated from leaves most recently are the worst. But even the blooming, older plants have yellow leaves on the outside. They are not old plants, propogated about 2 years ago. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thumbnail by flfwrs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jamiew
Montgomery, AL

January 21, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8322168

Are you fertilizing?
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8322257

Ditto.And are you over or underwatering? It's natural for older leaves to eventually die to make room for new,but you said some were babies.Have the older ones been repotted?
flfwrs
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8322359

The older ones have recently been repotted. I think I am watering correctly, not until dry but not too dry. Sometimes I use tap water and sometimes rain water. Would the chlorine in tap water do that. What type fertilizer do you recommend? I used a bloom fertilizer last time. How often and at what strength to you recommend fertilizing.
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

January 21, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8322569

Your violet is beautiful! Do you know its name? I use one fourth teaspoon per gallon room temperature water that has sat in a pitcher all night. (Tap water has chlorine that will evaporate from the water.) I recall that chlorine can cause yellowed leaves, but someone needs to verify that for me. Sometimes I have to microwave the water for 25 to 35 seconds because it is too cold after sitting out (should be luke) in the winter. I believe cold water can also cause yellowing as well. Find a fertilizer that is non-urea. I'd recommend joining the African violet society of America (avsa.org) if you haven't already. The magazines that you receive are wonderful sources of knowledge, fun to read, and filled with gorgeous pictures.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8322696

the bloom fertilizer sometimes upsets/confuses plants.
When you transplanted your older plants, the outer leaves should have been removed and some of the roots should have been cut off. Also the plant then has to be set down a bit more than before. This will make a more vigorous plant. This is a good grooming rule.
Too much light will effect your leaves but the center inner leaves look good, so this is probably not the case.
I have high cholorine content water here in Fl. So for the better part I use rain water with Schultz AV fertilizer, as recommended, which I like very much. Don't like AV miracle grow. And so far so good
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 21, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8323197

I use one quarter strength orchid food on mine at every watering. I also bottom water.
Bright, indirect Sun, LATE afternoon or real early morning Sun only.
flfwrs
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8323818

thanks all. No, I don't know the name, I thought maybe someone on this forum might know that too ;) Perhaps the combination of tap water or rain water stored in a cold garage did it. It is surprisingly cold here right now in NW FL - 26 degrees :(
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8325168

Yea, whats with this winters weather? This is the south! Where I live in Ga, we do have winter, but we've had so many cold days this year when we usually warm up and cool down a lot...3 snows too, we usually only have one and it melts in 3 days, the other week we had a beautiful snow, then by morning it was iced over really well...you could see white for 7 days!-unheard of in the 30 yrs I've lived here. Because it is colder outside, the furnace runs more and the plants are really drying out fast.

When one of the ladies in one of my violet clubs repots, she removes all leaves below the third set. And her plants are show plant quality.

tish

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8325989

I think water stored that cold could harm them.
flfwrs
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8326142

I'm taking jamiew's advice and micorwaving the rainwater first, it makes since they don't want to be that cold - I sure don't :)
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8326160

Actually they prefer slightly warm water.I use room temp and my plant room is pretty cool,but I have to let several jugs sit at least overnight to get rid of the chlorine.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8330010

it's not the water, it's old age. When repotting it's just a good thing to remove tha outer leaves and counting from the inside out, 3 leaves and another 3 leaves and another 3 leaves, using white paper to see that it symetrical plus 1 leave. everything else goes. that is how I did my show plants...
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8330383

Helene,
I am so sorry for your loss!! I am happy you are here to be with friends.

Lynn

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8332518

oh thank you so much - brief - devasting. So sad
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

January 27, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8334203

I'm sorry Helene. It's good to have you here.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America