Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Central Midwest Gardening: just moved to Missouri....

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 59, Views: 434
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8324599

from Texas...brrrr!!! Just wanted to say hello to all my new neighbors. I was pretty active in Dave's down in Texas, I even organized some roundups. So I'm looking forward to getting involved here.

:) Kim
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8324790

Welcome. So, where at in MO.?
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8324845

Welcome Kim!!! Always nice to see new faces around here. :~)
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8324954

I'm in Ashland...just started a position at Mizzou!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8324962

Cool!! My favorite college team!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8325061

Congrats! You'll love it here! There is many friendly members in Columbia and St. Louis as well. I hope all this snow hasn't caught you off guard!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8339357

Welcome to MO.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8355975

blue-eyes...glad I saw this...I would be looking for you in TX Jo
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8380704

I use to live in San Antonio and moved back in Dec with my MG convertible. I remember sitting at a stop light and it was snowing lightly at night and I was freezing, thinking "WHAT IN THE WORLD HAVE I DONE!" rofl.
Sorry Blue the weather doesn't get better, we have hot humid summers and freezing cold winters...but welcome!
Did you leave a big garden behind?
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8383884

Wow...I'd be asking myself the same thing if I moved from San Antonio to here...lol. I'm from Ohio originally, so this isn't so bad. I kind of missed the snow, although a foot and a half was a bit much for my taste. I rent still as I was a graduate student in Texas and now a postdoc here in Missouri. I did however have quite a garden established there, my landlord allowed me to put in several flowerbeds and I lived there for over 5 years. The lady who rents there now apparently chose the place for the garden, and it sounds like she is keeping them going which makes me happy. More than I can ask for considering that it is a college town. I plan on doing a bit of gardening here as well, in fact I've already got plans to till up a vegetable plot in a few weeks.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8384711

Oops, sorry about that, thats my fishpond in it's current state. All the manual labor the last 2 days has drained my energy to do anything! The railroad ties, the shoveling of mud and the chainsaw stuff has wore me out! I don't feel like doing dishes or putting out the trash. I eventually do that stuff, but not so much in a timely fashion!
Here is a photo of some old railroad ties that will soon be on they're way to the landfill!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8384728

Hey Kim, welcome to MO/ I pass through Ashland all the time on my treks to Columbia with my DH. Plus my DS and DDL live in Columbia. Maybe we can visit sometime when I 'm not in a big rush like usual.

Aquick tip, don't start that vege garden until around the 2nd weekend in April. We're going to get at least 2-3 more heavy snowfalls here in the next 4-5 weeks.

Robin
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8384738

We have had way too much snow... ;)
The midwest group has had a couple of roundups in the past. We had one in fall where we all froze to death! OMG it was cold and windy, then spring ones, course then it was rainy. Gotta love Missouri. Didn't have one last year at all.

I have a flowers (perennial gardens) and then DG got me into tropicals, so I have plenty to keep me busy summer and winter. This year I am going to do raised vegetable beds with concrete blocks about sitting height and 4 feet wide and about 18 feet long. Figured I had better do then now, while I am young enough to lift concrete blocks to get ready when I am too old to get to the ground... ;) actually that is part of the reason, the other is hopefully the weeding will be easier... I can spend hours out in the flower garden weeding, but for some reason I have a harder time being as motivated in a vegetable garden, so I hope this helps.

I became a Master Gardener thru the Missouri University program which I have learned alot and have enjoyed, but have to admit, I have probably learned more thru DG and got into plants I would of never thought of on my own.
not2simple
Kansas City, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8384805

Welcome to Missouri blue eyes. The next couple of weeks are going to remind us that Old Man Winter is not quite done with us. Hopefully, after that it will be planting time!!!
Debbie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8385189

If I could catch the news I would know what day to lock my hubs. lol. I'll catch it eventually and hopefully get em locked before the next big mess. Gotta have my 4wd here in the gravel road country. LOL.

I need to raise my veggie bed also. Mainly to hold all my good dirt in there and not lose all my nutrients. Because my whole yard is sloped I lose everything good. But my dad won't let me since he would then have to mow and weedeat around the blocks and it would drive him mad. lol.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8385329

Oops, I see I replied to a different thread than the one I meant, dangit! I meant to post it to the Feb. thread, I am such a dunce! Sorry about that all!
Yes, welcome blue_eyes.
Will
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8385454

Sounds great Robin! After all this rain I'll be waiting a while to till up the plot anyway unless I want to go muddin'. I wanted to get some early stuff in, and planting schedules that I have been looking at have said March-April for things like lettuce, spinach, onions, and peas. Should those wait until April as well? I always was one for pushing the limits of the frost date anyway, sometimes I pay the price but a lot of times I get lucky. Perhaps I could start the early items in containers instead.

Most of the roundups we had in Texas were too hot...so I guess the weather hardly ever cooperates. However, I'd love to help organize one here if people are interested. I organized the College Station roundup in Texas for a few years after The Dave started the first one there.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2011
3:02 AM

Post #8385762

I would wait until the around the first of April, just in case or at least start them in containers say the first or second week in March. I have already started a few here in the house. I get warmer than you do by about a week or so.

A RU sounds good, not sure if I can make it due to summer tourist season, vut I can try. It just depends on when you have it.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8390779

Welcome Blue Eyes, you have picked a lovely area to live and garden.
Justgrowin
Adrian, MO

February 25, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8391741

HI, I am new to Dave's Garden. Please tell me what a "roundup" is?
Thanks!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8391913

A RU is the most fun you can imagine...a get together of other DG'ers for a day of fun, food getting to know folks you post to , and trading plants if you want to.

We have a forum especially to advertise where folks are planning a RU...and I better get over there and start posting some. Jo

Here you will find pictures of us having FUN>

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rounduppix/all/
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8397360

Ok everyone...I'd like to try and organize a roundup for this spring. Please post on this thread if you are interested: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160597/ .

Thanks! Kim
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8413501

Does anyone here know where I could find some cheap large pots or tubs to plant some springtime veggies in?

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8413546

Contact all the local landscaping companies, most of them throw their pots away.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8413609

Kim, I get 5 gal buckets from the school cafeterias. They smell like pickles, but that goes away after a good washing and sitting out in the sun to dry.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8414880

If you don't have access to free tubs. I buy from home depot and I think Lowe's have them, they are huge heavy round tubs with handles and I don't remember them being very expensive, they are 19 gallon, you can grow anything in them if you want to go that big. Someone else said to get a hold of some free pallets just hammer them apart which isn't hard, then hammer them back in the size you need.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8415102

Wally world had those on sale today for 6 something. I hit flea markets and consignment stores, and thrift shops to buy large pots too. It's a hit and miss thing. Today I got 2 large pots for a buck a piece and found old boots for planters. I even got a couple of toddler boots for hens and chicks.
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8415214

I like the idea of those tubs since they have handles, but wouldn't I need to put some drainage holes in the bottom for it to work?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8415258

I have a couple of them that I got at Family Dollar. I have drainage holes in mine. One has a banana tree and the other I have cannas. They work great for big plants and I also did one a couple of years ago before I put the banana in it, with marigolds, geraniums, purple fountain grass, impatients and a couple of other things. Can't remember, but it was beautiful.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8424591

Draining holes would be easy with a drill, not sure you could poke a hole in them. I have/had brugmansias in them and I didn't poke holes because I didn't want them leaking indoors in the winter. Usually except for a few years I am not sure after spring if we have enough rain to worry about it. At least the brugs were fine all summer, at least that particular summer...ok do I have enought qualifiers in that statement...must be talking about Missouri weather, rofl.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8424804

Most assuredly it's MO. Even with the holes in the bottom of the tubs, it leak all over, I cut back on the amount of water in the winter for all that I have in them.
Justgrowin
Adrian, MO

March 26, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8451488

I also use the cat litter plastic trays for growing cuttings and seedlings. Drill a hole for drainage, they're not too big to move around and the depth is about right. Right now I have baby Redbuds, Mimosas and hollyhocks in one. Works great. Have lots of potting I'm doing as I will have a lot of plants for sale this spring and summer.
GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8467312

happgarden wrote:Someone else said to get a hold of some free pallets just hammer them apart which isn't hard, then hammer them back in the size you need.

Be very very careful with pallets. Some have POISONOUS preservatives on them (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). Same thing with wooden boxes, especially anything shipped to/from/by/for the military.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8471665

Ewwwwwwh! I have never read that Gray...
GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8472491

The preservative(s) are part of military specifications for some shipments and products/items. There used to be a code on the crates, boxes, and pallets that had been treated, but I don't remember what it is (sigh).

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8473281

I got a pallet with concrete blocks on it, is there anyway to know it would be ok to use? It came from Menards, course I don't know where it came from before that. It isn't made of the best wood I have ever seen but thought I would reuse it in some way.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8473303

We use pallets to make other things than for putting plants in. We have made stands to put big boxes on that I put dirt in for starting plants. We use them in the greenhouse. We also used them for making the chicken pen.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8473344

I wanted to use part of the pallet to make a dog house, but don't want to kill the dog, well sometimes it has crossed my mind, depends on what he chewed up that day...rofl...just kidding, just kidding, it is his adorable eyes that melt me right after I am furious...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8473433

The only thing I would avoid is using it in my vegetable garden.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8473440

No, I went crazy and bought concrete blocks that weigh 27lbs to build a raised bed...rofl. DH said why don't you just plant in the ground...I could come up with 3 good reasons, don't want the dog watering my veggies...ewhhhhh, don't want the dog running thru the veggies, and someday when I am old I may not be able to get to the ground and up...rofl. Course DH replied laying all these concrete blocks will make us old before our time... ;)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8473457

I LOVE my concrete block raised bed. I use it as my compost heap in the late fall and winter, we never have to till it, it rarely has weeds and they pull right out because the soil is so loose. This year I'm planting herbs in the openings at the top, I filled them with leaves last fall and added kitchen waste all winter. You couldn't pay money to get the great soil I have in that bed.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8473466

cathy, could you help me with the soil. I don't have anything in the beds yet. So I am guessing you started with soil and then?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8473541

Happy, everything in my bed was stuff found in the yard and kitchen. Cardboard on the bottom to block weeds, chopped up leaves (we collected from all the neighbors the first year), manure from rabbits because that is what I had access to, coffee grounds, vegetable peels, etc. Newspapers, shredded bills (hubby is paranoid about ID theft) an old bag of dry dog food, lots of water. We built our bed in August and planted in it the next spring.

The only "soil" that I've used is a bit when I've planted seeds directly into it, such as peas, lettuce and spinach so that the seeds don't end up too deep. Then I just used garden soil from the store, maybe a bag of it a year. I do empty my pots in there after summer, so that potting soil is in there, too.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8473653

cathy4 wrote:I LOVE my concrete block raised bed. I use it as my compost heap in the late fall and winter, we never have to till it, it rarely has weeds and they pull right out because the soil is so loose. This year I'm planting herbs in the openings at the top, I filled them with leaves last fall and added kitchen waste all winter. You couldn't pay money to get the great soil I have in that bed.

That's good idea do it...

As my mom doing that concrete blocks raised bed for years in Calif...

So, I gonna do that this spring and plant some veggies in fall I hope it for sure...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8473732

Hi Rusty, haven't "seen" you in awhile. Hope you are doing good.

Well Darn Cathy, I am behind the 8 ball again. I want to plant in the bed this year. Wish I would of prepared or "known" that last fall. I know I can buy bulk compost in the city, would that be better than starting with soil and trying to amend it? I really haven't done compost before. I was planning on putting the heavy cardboard on the bottom because of weeds, but that is as far as I had thought actually.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8473804

happgarden wrote:Hi Rusty, haven't "seen" you in awhile. Hope you are doing good.

I'm doing fine and trying to finish my crochet granny squares blanket...
Also, my dogs is fine and still active JuJu play to rought on Rusty! That's life!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8473828

Glad to "see" you. Glad the "kid dogs" are doing good. Did you get moved?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8474157

happgarden wrote: Did you get moved?

No, I am stay my own house now and it will be big problem to moved!

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8754616

Blue Eyes, Congrats on your new job. I hope your are liking it and Mo. I'm a transplant as well, and I like Mo. We're having great weather right now.
How did your summer go?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8754801

I had a very sad day today...we had the funeral of a very good friend who was from Rosebud, MO.

He opened the door at about 3 AM and a 17 YO boy pushed in the door and slit his throat...then proceeded to sexually assualt his wife, and my dear friend, until a trick call from her to a friend got the police there to the house.

He will be tried as an adult and he was on drugs and booze. Jo
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8754835

OMGosh. How terribly sad. There's no rhyme or reason for such actions. You have my sympathy.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8755043

Mine too, what a trusting person to answer the door at 3am, still, that's very sad. I remember at that age, (and older) I was quite a jerk (a sober one), but not at all to that extreme, boy is that kid ever going to regret that, he'll probably be on suicide watch in jail.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8755445

Roadrunner - I'm sorry to hear about your freind and his wife. What a hard thing to have happen. Please make sure she gets into talk with someone in the counseling field about this.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8755550

Thanks, all...she is doing very well...and has so much support at our church tahtt I think she will be fine. She won't go back into the house, but is moving into a retirement place...Jo
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8755725

Sounds like a good idea to move to someplace else esp after such a horific event. My aunt moved to a retirement home after my uncle died. She said she felt safer there.

I agree that it's a good thing to have a supportive community esp church and family. I've lived in small communities and so know what that means in terms of relationships. That's not why I am suggesting she talk with someone trained. I have concerns about her having a level of emotional trauma could cause her to have PSTD. She has experienced some of the common events leading to the development of PTSD include: rape, physical attack, sudden death of a loved one, and being threatened with a weapon. PTSD effects everything (sleep, mood, relations) and an episode can be set off by anything. Sight, sounds, smells. Something as simple as a sound at the door or time at night can trigger an episode. Essentually they relive the trauma over and over again because of external triggers.

There is a method out there called EMDR. It is very effective in helping people release the emotional aspects of trauma. They are using it on war veterans with PTSD. It also works fast.

Look at Mayo Clinic for some more information. See the left side of the screen of theurl below to get info on causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. Mayo also lists EMDR as a method. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/DS00246/DSECTION=symptoms

I hope she does well and feels safe soon.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8756216

Susan...thank you so much for this info...I have no doubt that if the police hadn't shown up he would have killed her also...leaving no witnesses. Praise God for His intervention. Jo
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8756680

You are welcome. There is a EMDR association on-line. She or someone else can find a listing on the web. Look for a facilitator level person. Should be a number of people in the St Louis metro area. If she needs a recommendation of someone then send me a Dmail. I'll ask some freinds in KC if they know anyone in St Louis or Columbia.

Take Care
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8757291

They have lived here in AZ fdor the last 12 years, and she plans to stay here. Jo
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8757351

Okay. I'm a little confused about where this happened at. I must have assumed MO since you were talking about his being a freind from Rosebud, mo. I would think that someone in the congregation or city may know someone who works with EMDR. Keep to the "facilitator" level if possible.

There are 570 clinicians listed for AZ. http://www.emdr.com/find-a-clinician.html
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8758289

SusanKC I am glad you are giving good advise.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America