Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Gardening by the Moon Calendar, February 2011

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 19, Views: 218
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8324606

February 2011

1st-2nd Favorable Planting Days: The First Day For Root Crops; The Second Day For Aboveground Crops Such As Sweet Corn, Beans And Peppers, In Southern Florida, Texas, And California.

3rd-4th Barren Days. Fine For Clearing, Plowing, Fertilizing, And Killing Plant Pests.

5th-6th Plant Peppers, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, California, And Texas. Extra Good For Cucumbers, Peas, Cantaloupes, And Other Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants.

7th-9th Seeds Planted Now Will Grow Poorly And Yield Little.

10th-11th Fine For Planting Beans, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

12th-13th Any Seed Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

14th-15th Fine For Planting Beans, Tomatoes, Corn, Cotton, Cucumbers, Peppers, Melons And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Allows. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

16th-19th Clear Ground, Turn Sod. Kill Plant Pests.

20th-22nd Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops. Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

23rd-24th Plant Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Beets, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

25th-27th Neither Plant Nor Sow On These Barren Days.

28th Any Root Crops That Can Be Planted Now Will Do Well.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

January 27, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8333639

Cristina -- you are a doll to get this information for us. Thanks! It is nice to see February's plan this much in advance.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8333892

Is good to know what you can plant and organize your planting, if you do not have seeds or seedlings you can get them.
And soon will warm up for you and start planting outside.
RoseyQ
Crystal Lake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8347062

I purchased two moon planting guides this year. One is Divine Inspiration's Gardening By the Moon, the guide I've been using for years. However, I decided to check out another one for comparison so I chose the 2011 Moon Planting Guide for Gardeners by Stefan Mager.

Mager's is a planting chart based on the Southern Hemisphere and Australian Eastern Standard Time, which I didn't know until I began reading it. The author says to adjust for daylight savings time and different time zones. I have no idea how to do this and to complicate things more, aren't their summers our winters here in the Midwest?

Anyway, I don't think I will use Mager's guide though it is nicely illlustrated and a fairly good explanation of how lunar planting works is included. One thing that puzzles me is that he advises readers to plant fruit and plants producing seed crops in fire signs (barren signs).

Mager's calender seems a lot like the Kimberton Hills Biodynamic Agricultural Planting Guide in theory.

If you are new to lunar gardening (planting by the moon), I highly recommend Divine Inspiration's Gardening By the Moon because it's very simple and straight forward where as the others are not.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8347068

There is even more conflicting information reading the Bio-Dynamic calendar. When they agree, then I know it is good, I suppose the rest will be an experiment. It would be good if they all agreed, but I suppose that is why I got a different one to see...??
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8352844

I just got the Mager book yesterday and Im embarassed to say I dont understand half of it. Im about to learn tho!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8353890

I do follow the calendar as a guide only and mainly to know the barren days, which I stick to all the times.

I do also do garden all organic, following the teaching of Rudolf Steiner and his bio-dynamic principles. If you are interested you can find this set of lectures here:

http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Agri1958/Ag1958_index.html

Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8353904

cristina ~ I notice that the BD calendar and the Farmer's Almanac do not always agree on which are barren days. If the FA says it is a barren day and the BD says to plant roots, what do you do?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8354139

I have some other different books too, I have read them, but they do made things too complicated that some years ago I took the decision to go simple: I follow the FA.

For different authors, things start to be complicated when they add to the moon phases the effect of the planets (Zodiac) and then they add the influences of the other variants.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8354174

When it says, for instance...Plant flowers. Does that mean seeds or does it mean transplants of flowers youve already started, or both.
Im specifically wondering were a daylily seed would fall.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8356148

It means that you can start flowers from seeds, transplant seedlings , or change flower plants from a pot to a bigger pot or to the garden bed, therefore you can start with your daylily seed as well.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8356751

excellent, thnaks. That means I can move the seedlings on those days as well
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

February 6, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8357002

Now I have one of those "dummy" questions:

Christina, since you are in the Southern hemisphere, is this moon information also applicable to us in the Northern hemisphere. I know nothing of the moon -- does it matter where we are on the planet as to what phase the moon is in.

Thanks for any information.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8357890

gretagreenthumb , yes it doesn't matter, we live in the same world (earth) and we have the same sun and the same moon, and the same movement of the planets.

Earth's orbit around the Sun, together with the tilt of its axis, results in periodic climate changes around the globe known as seasons.

Because the Earth tilts at 23.5, meaning that sometimes the northern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun, giving it summer, while the southern hemisphere is leaning away from it, giving it winter. At other times the southern hemisphere is leaning towards the sun, giving it summer, while the northern hemisphere is leaning away from it, giving it winter.

So, the only difference is that we have OPPOSITE seasons, or while I am enjoying summer you in the north are in winter, but very soon I'll let the sun go back to you and I'll be cold and in winter! LOL!
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

February 6, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8358055

Thanks Cristina for the lesson! Also really appreciate the time when you let us have a bit of sun. HA! I laughed outloud at that remark.

But. . . I could use a bit of sunshine -- getting rather tired of this cold stuff.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8359723

gretagreenthumb, I am telling you that when I'll be cold and miserable you will have all the sunshine that you possible can.

Now, being serious, expect a very hot summer, very high temperatures due to the sun flares and sunspot that influences our climate.

Your plants and garden should be watered in the mornings, as early as possible and if you could recycle your waters in summer would be a very good help, not only for your plants but also for your pocket.

gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

February 9, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8362653

Can't imagine it being any hotter than our past summers -- weeks of over 100.

Actually we are seriously considering converting our broken swimming pool (in-ground) into a rain water collector. Nothing fancy! Even thought about putting a few fish in it and maybe a duck or two. . . to keep the mosquito larva consumned. This should be good garden water. Of course this will probably be the year of little rain.

Now I have to ask -- zone 9b being cold and miserable???? Is this possible? What are your winters like?

Right now we are covered in snow and at noon it is 27 degrees. A big cold front blew in last night. I think it was 9 degrees when I fianally climbed out of bed around 8 am.
paulasims
Walton, KS

February 20, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8382301

Cristina,
"The Old Farmer's Almanac" (not the same as your FA) makes moon planting quite simple, in theory. It advises to plant above-ground crops during the waxing of the moon and below-ground crops during the waning of the moon (pg 232, 2001 edition). That makes perfect sense, but it seems to contradict itself on its website.

For my area of the world, it tells me to start tomatoes & peppers (nightshades) seeds indoors during the waning moon. However, nightshades are above-ground crops. It seems to me that no matter where the seed is planted (ground or seed tray), planting should still follow the moon. Here's the page I'm referring to: http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/KS/Walton.

Would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Paula
paulasims
Walton, KS

February 20, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8382308

Cristina,
Forgot to mention that I'm looking at the Feb dates. I just tried the link mentioned above and come up with an error. Try this link instead: http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates.
Thanks,
Paula
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8385018

Paula I couldn't get anything from the links you did send.

I google the postcode for walton, it gave me a postcode 67151 and I did get a chart with different vegetables and 2 possibles dates to plant the crops / vegetables for that location

You are right, but you could plant them also from the 2/15 till 3/1.

But the best day would be 2/15 to 2/18. These days are favourable with the moon and the influences that the planet exert on the moon.

Another point, I cannot understand why to complicate thing so much. IMO I only consider the days I can plant and that's all. I have good results and I do plant any vegetable or shrub or flower on the days that are good for planting.

I do have too many things to do and that's what I do.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America