1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 1`/2 cups peeled, diced potato
15 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
5 ounces frozen collard or turnip greens or spinach
14 ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Cut the sausage in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. In a large pot over medium, heat the oil.

Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the potatoes, black eyed peas, greens or spinach, broth and water. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and cook over low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. season with salt and pepper

makes 4 servings - each serving: 279 calories, 102 calories from fat

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 7:03 AM

This message was edited Feb 28, 2011 11:55 AM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8346636

This looks very tasty, Herbie!

I've tagged it to try later. Thanks for the recipe.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8451989

Making this either tonight or in the morning, sounds fabulous!!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8452208

Please let us know how it turns out - and which type of 'greens' you use. I would love to hear.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8452759

I have mustard green/turnip green mix from the garden last fall so i will use that. will make it today!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8452905

Sounds fabulous. I am truly looking forward to hearing about your results. Also, and I do know that this is no small request, but if time and resources allow for this, a photo of the dish would be awesome. :-)

In the part of the country where I live, 'greens' (collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, and so on) are a big hit. We love our greens here. Although we have our own classic, southern recipe for cooking greens, recently, I've begun to enjoy trying new preparation methods with hopes of adding to my repertoire and options for enjoying this group of healthy vegetables.

When I cook a dish under discussion in a thread here in Recipes, I try to post a photo, so others can also see the results. It's not easy to do though. I usually manage to get that photo if I have left overs as this allows for more flexibility in finding time to take that photo. On the other hand, when a dish is really awesome it may get scarfed down in a single meal leaving nothing to photograph. I have definitely been there.

Hoping you enjoy your mustard/turnip green soup today!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8453322

Eating this now, and it's fantastic, although it's alot like glorified greens, but my husband loved it. it's definitely akeeper, but I will use a fat free sausage next time as i used what was in the freezer this time and I've probably eaten 600 calories so far ha ha.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8453426

What is 'glorified greens'?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8453466

lol, just greens with alot of extra good stuff in it, kind of like this recipe.
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 27, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8453600

i made wonderful "rainbow" (had bridght red/orange and yellow stems) swiss chard with a recipe my neighbor told me
first saute onions and garlic in olive oil--i added a little bacon too
then add white wine, chopped swiss chard, salt pepper and cook till tender
add lemon juice and parmasan and serve--really--really good!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8453662

Sounds good, I just bought some swiss chard bright lights plants to plant in the veggie garden.
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 27, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8453747

i think swiss chard is so pretty!!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8453757

I love chard. I used to do this great, vegetarian recipe with black-eyed peas and chard. The basic concept as I recall was to cook the peas the 'normal' way in a covered pot - seasoned with bullion, I think - and then in the last 10-15min before the peas were to be done, add the chopped, fresh chard on top of the peas so that the chard would be wilted when the peas were cooked. Finally, when done, add crushed red peppers and vinegar. Can't recall now, there may have been a T of sugar, too. The dish was quite delicious when done, much better than it sounded. I need to look that recipe up and cook it again.

I still need to try this one, too, although having heard your review, I think I may try to find a way to drain the sausage grease, perhaps by cooking the sausage before adding to dish.

Thanks for that review!
Sanandreyas70
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8508076

Wow, that really sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing, i will have to try it sometime. I make a Sausage/Cabbage soup that is similar, but not the same.

I use the Kielbasa sausage about 3-4 lbs (sometimes i pan fry it first to get grease out and sometimes i don't)
A whole head of cabbage chopped.
2-3 potatoes

I boil the potatoes separately then dump out the potatoe water.
I put the cooked or uncooked sausage in with the cabbage and boil.
Add some garlic, salt and pepper.

I cook until it all seems just right.
Wonderful stuff!
Sandra :)
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8572967

Hi herbie!
This recipe sounds like a similar thing I make - but I use kale from my garden. One of the most amazing combinations of flavors!
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 20, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8643028

had swiss chard yesterday-cooked with onion, garlic, in olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar and parmasan--yummers
had greens with ham peices at that roadside restaurant that i cannot remember the name of on Saturday
had spinach soup today
getting my greens i guess!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America