AuthorContent
garyon
Syracuse, NY

January 23, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8325530

If you are interested in last year's string:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078075/

I'm ready to start again with seeds: four new varieties to try. I learned a few things from everyone last year, and will do some things differently. One big thing I learned was how to nick the seeds using nail clippers - I was holding them wrong before.

I have flats of Scotts seed starting mix ready and labeled, and plan to nick and soak the seeds later today.

Anyone else want to try this year?

Attached is a picture of three seedling plants (grown together as a clump) from last year's attempt. By the end of the season it was taller than I am. The hummingbird really liked it.

Grayson

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by garyon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8325535

Hello Grayson
I grew a Canna from seed once it was lovely...I left it out and lost it.
Do you know a good source for seed online?
garyon
Syracuse, NY

January 23, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8325554

My seeds were a gift from another Dave's garden member. I have seeds from the one in the picture I have posted that I could send you. The ones I'm trying this year are more exotic, taken from hybrids with larger blooms. I know Jungs has seed for sale.

Grayson
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8325586

I am always looking for the exoctic lol...I will check Jungs and ebay too thanks!! Oh I forgot about the marketplace here : ) Maybe we can do a trade when I find some.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

January 23, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8326311

I still have all of my fingers left after nicking the canna seeds. It's not easy. They're soaking in water for a day, in medicine bottles wrapped in a towel on top of the radiator.

Temperature tonight is predicted to be 12 below zero.
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8326398

They will do fine : )
Cold here too...bleh...
garyon
Syracuse, NY

January 25, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8329267

The seeds swelled after about 36 hours in water, and I planted them this morning. I planted them about 1/2 inche deep, covered them with a clear plastic lid and put them where they'll get some bottom heat in moderate light.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 25, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8329287

I ordered Canna seeds from Parks, and this will be my first year trying to grow Canna from seeds.
I will read last year's thread and look forward to learning from you people.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8329643

CLScott you'll be fine as long as you nick the seeds (with big nail clippers or a file till you see some white) and then soak over night.. (once the seed gets puffy in some spots and looks distorted its ready) Alot of people are under the impression canna seeds are hard to germinate, this is very far from the truth.. They are the easiest seeds i've grown...

Life is a little up in the air right now, hubby is working on a transfer to Alabama, paper work has been sent in... Were still a little unsure when we will for sure be moving.. We have to finish off the school year as my stepdaughter is in grade 9, and we dont want to pull her out till summer.. Getting my plants across the border might be a bit of an issue.. I have a friend over there that is willing to have me send them there and pick them up on the way.. But this means seriously downsizing.. I will only be able to bring a few roots of each canna I have.. Lucky I do have many seeds saved from last summer..

I will be planting canna seeds again this year.. I ordered some seeds from http://www.karcheskycanna.com/
Warseznickii, burgundy blush,Tuerckheimii, intigue, and robert kemp.. I am thinking of starting them in mid march in my overwintering room, then come spring planting they will be beautiful big plants.. With some luck the roots big enough to bring with me..

** Anyone have a guess on how long canna seeds can be saved?? could i save them till the following year or am i better to plant them and at least get some seeds off them and hopefully a big root to move??
jen
garyon
Syracuse, NY

January 31, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8340032

Wowie zowie! They've started to germinate! Three of the four varieties have already broken through the soil. I planted them on the morning of the 25th. I think more will be breaking ground soon, as the soil surface looks like something is pushing up from underneath. So...I nicked and soaked the seeds, planted in a commercial seed starting mix, covered the flat with glass and rested them on the fluorescent gro-light fixture to get some bottom heat.

I think I can find a few seeds collected from the plant shown in the picture that starts this thread. Is anyone interested in them?

Grayson
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8352215

Jen,
Canna seeds will last a long time. You should get good germination starting them at either time.
If you wash your canna rhizomes clean and free from soil and no leaves, they should make it ok across the border.
Best wishes on your move.
Alice
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8352755

Thanks Alice, I hopefully can get some planted this summer but if not its good to know i can wait till next.
jen
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8368319

Hi canna fans! mind if we join you and link back too to our old thread too?!

I just brought my 2010 cans up from my crawl space l and some are sprouting already. I put them under my lights and started watering them.

Heres our link back to 2010 for you guys here already!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131784/

Nice cannas you have here!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2011 2:31 PM
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8368341

Have grown the "Tropical Series" Cannas from seed before. Trying the new addition to that series this year named "Tropical Bronze Scarlet". This one is different from the others. It has chocolate brown colored foliage, instead of green. Hope they do well.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 12, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8368656

Here's a progress photo of this year's planting.

Grayson

Thumbnail by garyon

garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 12, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8368663

C. indica is the most vigorous one, with 100% germination already. Orange Punch is next with about 50%. One variety shows no signs of growth.

Thumbnail by garyon

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8368686

Nice. Always find it interesting when I spot Cannas in Upstate NY in the summer. Very used to seeing them down here, but up there is a bit of a rarity. Not many seem to grow them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8368758

Hi everyone.

Grayson, Your seedlings look terrific. Can't wait to watch and see your progress this year.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8368908

NICE!!!!!

Finally...

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 7:56 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 7:57 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8370105

grayson,

you mentioned a 'trick' to nicking the seeds. would you please share that?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8370354

Crit I use the big nail clipper usually ment for toenails. I just clip the with the corners in a few spots, pretty easy and saves my fingers. Some people use a file and a pair of pliers to hold the seed. Sand paper would also work again with he pliers. I've even heard of people drilling them with a small drill bit or tapping them with a hammer to slightly crack the shell. I however am not an expert on power tools and hitting the seed wiu a hammer just seems like a waste if you hit to hard. Hope this helps
Jen
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8370426

Crit:

I use the large nail clipper as Jen does. It's not real easy, and I've sent seeds flying across the room. This year I tried soaking the seed for a while first. I grasp the seed at the edge of the clipper - that's the only way I can get a grip on the seed coat. This makes a scratch rather than a "bite".

Grayson
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8370528

Grayson do you soak them again after you've clipped them?? I know some seeds are much smaller then others, so I'm sure by far those are the hardest to grip. Red stripes and banana canna (2 I have ) they have fairly big seeds for cannas those I find really easy to clip.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8370557

Yes - I soaked them for 24 hours after exposing a portion of the white interior. They swell up before I plant them.

Grayson
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 13, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8370563

I'm looking for something bold to grow instead of castor bean. Does banana canna grow fast and large?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8370696

Yep I plant mine next to my caster beans and they keep up until about July when the castors just take off. My banana cannas the first year I planted them got 9 feet the next year hey were only about 8. I has the more red castors next to them and the reddish leaves next to the green banana canna leaves look really good. I like the banana canna or red stripe best for leaves, they are both large the red stripes are more wide then a banana canna but both look very much like banana leaves. Also they are both large cannas up to if not higher then 8 feet. If grown from seeds they might not be quite that tall first year and won't multiply really until the second year. If it's something you want people to notice I for sure would recommend them, as most of my friends thought they were banana trees.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8370944

Why not just grow banana trees? I got several babies (2' tall) from a girl I work with. They were 7' tall and one had 2 babies on it when I went to dig them up for the winter. I just laid the in my garage as she does, then in the spring when I go to put them out again, I will trim back the dead leaves and wait for them to take off. I thought I had killed one of them she gave me... ha ha ... because she said to peel it back to the green. I peeled it back so far it wouldn't stand up by itself and had to stake it. When I dug it up, it was about 5" around and 2 babies!!! Didn't hurt it at all. tee hee

I'm interested in the banana canna and also the striped one you mentioned. If anyone has any extra seeds of these, I would love them!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8371087

smurf, arent they short seasond up by you? Whne do you pu them in the ground?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8371138

Blossom I plant them mid may and take them out in october.. I get flowers on all of my cannas and some seed too, so i guess its just long enough :)

Crit I only thins year found out that there is banana i can grow here (bajoo's) I have planted a bunch of false banana (ensete ventricosum) and i have 7 coming up.. I know these ones are very tropical but i was reading and they can go down for winter storage so I figure i would try.. They grow very fast and can get 12 feet the first year. I also plan to get some bajoos once we move.

Hubby is being relocated for work to Alabama, we will be there at the latest october. This is going to open so many more doors for gardening :).. I believe its zone 7b so its not much higher then where i am now but cannas can stay in the ground..
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 14, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8371262

Living in Zone 7 sounds like a good place to be if you love to garden. You can, pretty much, grow everything you're used to growing further North. It also would add quite a few new plant possibilities for more tender stuff that has to be removed up North. I would think Zones 7, 8, and possibly even 9 give you the widest range of possibilities. Living down here in Zone 10 is great for year round gardening, but it mostly eliminates flowers that need a winter dormancy period to gather up energy for the next year.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8371651

oh wow i never thought of that.. I always wanted to be in a tropical area cause all the tropical plants are so nice but never though there must be a lot you cant grow.. For me I'm not big on plants that are hardy here (iris, tulips, hostas ect...) I like things more tropical cannas, elephant ears, banana, passionflora vines, castor beans and hibiscus (i actually prefer the hardy ones though) jsut to name a few. I would much rather have a palm tree then a evergreen tree. So i guess i could live down where you are lol...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 14, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8371846

We can't grow those types of flowers/flower bulbs, but there are quite a few bulb type flowers that will be new to you. There are surprisingly many hardy to only Zones 7 or 8 and higher. Some of my favorite more common bulbs/flowers you'll be able to have and just leave in the ground in Zone 7B would be: Cannas, Dahlias, Ranunculus, Gladiolas, Alstroemeria, Oxalis (Shamrocks), Rain Lilies.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8371888

I'm just so excited about leaving my cannas inthe ground mine took 30 hours to talk out of the found this year and get them ready for winter storage
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 14, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8371910

I would imagine they are time consuming to remove. They spread out like crazy down here because they never go dormant and bloom all year. They really need lots of extra space here because they will quickly overtake other plants if they're planted closer than 24 inches.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8372105

Getting them in is nothing, but taking them out takes so much time. I have a few different kinds so I keep them sorted. I knock all the dirt off, and cut all the roots off. I break them up so each piece has at least 3 eyes. Then in the basement they go. Its really a sad day! I know when you leave them in the ground it's not as easy as that there's still he odd time you have to dig them to share or break them up to allow for new growth. His however isn't every single one every year.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8372126

Thats why I pot the ones that absolutely have to be lifted.. Im not much for digging big roots out of the ground and infact put all my bulbs in nursery cans in the ground. SOooo much eaiser to finr the bulbs and lift.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8372150

I put my elephant ears in pots and sink them but my canna with where I plant them would be more trouble I think to sink a pot
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8372443

I leave the cannas above ground in the pots... huge cans!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8376010

Well it's official I'm heading to Alabama once the school year is up. I'm really excited for a new adventure.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8376931

Moving?

Oh, if you put them in cans, you can move them, but they are heavy since they are such a big plant. Dont expect the ones in cans though to be as big as ones inthe ground.

I filled the can 2/3 horsemanure, 1/3 potting soil... the potting soil goes on top of the manure, not mixed. Thats what I did last year andit worked out ok.

If you are moving to another state.. you can dump them and just bag the bulbs for that kind of move...

Well, good luck on what you are doing.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 17, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8377228

You might have trouble taking plants from Canada into US.
You are supposed to have a phytosanitary certificate.

Do the seeded pots need to be under lights? or will the seedlings grow in a bright window?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8377252

I can bring them as long as they are bear root no soil. I'm mailing a few to a friend in the states just to be safe and pick them up on the way.

I plant my seeds in the ground or a pot usually outside so as longs there's enough light you will be ok on the window, the need full sun though.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8377885

What are nursery cans? I just got my first canna seed in a trade so will be trying to germinate for the first time this year. I have three diff NOIDs. I already own Wyoming and a red one. Cam
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8379637

Nursery cans are those plastic pots you usually get a perennial in when you buy them at a nursery.

I just borought my cannas from 2010 up from storage in my crawlspace. I left them potted and in the dark and cool under the house for the winter. I brought them up the other day and put them on my plant stands which have florescent lights. It was the only place I could put them.. They have some sproutage now... I expect to be having to move them when they get too tall. I plan to start more later by seed, but not now.. Im space poor.

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 18, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8379831

An idea when nicking them:-----so they don't"fly across the room"
is to hold them and your hands inside a large clear plastic garden bag.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 18, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8379885

Yes! Great idea! Thanks CL.

Grayson
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8379894

CLS I love that idea thanks..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8395229

Last years growing under lights.. gonna have to boot the big one to a new location soon..
only have three canna plants.. do have some seed to start.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8395309

Where you going to move the fast growing one to? You have a grow light with lots of space below it or a really sunny window?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8395707

Well its not going to stay on the growlight.. I think I will move it to my east window.. I have a trunk over there it can sqwat on. All three can go there until they can get kicked out. Now you give me a dilema.. if I started a big bunch.. they would have to stay in the crawl until they could go direct out doors so I would not be able to leave them in the cans like I did these, so then I would have to find a way to store them down there.. I do not have a way to get that many started indoors. The hub says its a jungle in here already...!

But boy and duty, that 150 foot line would look awesome and be such a neat fence!

I dont recall these guys having any fragrance.. but boy if they did that would be a bit of heaven!

So ok, Im going to fill more cans with HP.

Sorry you wil have to stand on your ear to see this pick.. for some reason I cannot get it to turn right.. but thats the yellow one with the red I was talking about. I did collect seed on it, but the mice got into them so all I have is the root. Now are thise called rhizomes , tubers or what?

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8395795

I've never noticed any fragrance. I'm guessing they are probably tubers? You're probably much better off to keep the collection small Blossom. That's a lot of work to have to bring them in and store them every winter. I had 10 or so back in 2007/08 and that was too much work for me battling foliage eating caterpillars all summer long. Won't keep more than 5 in the collection. They spread like crazy and take up lots of room here very quickly.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8395876

Well since I would only have to dump the cans, that takes the digging out of it...

caterpillers huh! I had materwerms last season.. had somany the chickens turned their beaks up at them and ended up just picking and squishing them.. yeck!

So what did you do with your "pillers"? Bet Pete had fun! Or Re-peat?

(eeks, it did it gain.. connectivity error...) had to Repeat this post too.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 27, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8395985

Does anyone have Banana Canna 'Musifolia' seeds for postage or trade?

Grayson
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8396478

Sorry ... I got some in trade but I already planted them. I will look and see if I might have 3 or 4 seed.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8396554

Garyon sent you a dmail
jen
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8396636

This will get you going.. holy highlands.. acres of cannas! WOW!

[HYPERLINK@www.cannas.net]
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8396739

was jsut shoppign around onthe net and came across this video and some instructions..

cool!

http://video.about.com/gardening/Cannas-Winter-Care.htm
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8396783

Nice. Yes, it's the dreaded "Canna Leaf Roller" caterpillar Blossom. They are a huge problem in South Florida from May-Sept every year. They're not around the rest of the year. They fold over the outer edges of the foliage and secrete a sticky substance to hold the fold together. They are chewing away at the foliage underneath the fold. You don't see them unless you open up the fold. I have to spray the foliage with insecticide every two weeks during the summer. If I get lazy and let it go three weeks the foliage damage begins and it spreads quickly if left untreated. That's why I'm keeping the Canna collection to a low total number. Half the beauty of a Canna is it's foliage.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8396820

Your so right on the foliage Jon.. did you see the acres planted on that one website! Holy moly! How awesome. I wonder how they treat? Some of the canna suppliers I scanned said they were organic.. dont suppose a ladybug go tthe appetite for those holy leafe rollers! ha!

Im in love with this plant now.. and now watching that video, I think I can store a pile of them! Yuppers, doing cannas in the can can do!

Oh oy,. thundering, I gotta get off this thing and sterilize some microchips.. I think my cookies are in a bunch so will chat later!

Have a good one everyone, oh and Jon, shot a shot of that werm ok, so we know what we are gonna have to look for. Since I have not grown any but last year, I would not expect a big problem, but maybe the mater worms might like this plant too? have no clue, hopign now, but anyway, catch ya later.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8396908

I looked at that field of Cannas and then imagined me battling the "rollers' out in that field. I'd never be able to come inside all summer. I'm not sure if Canna Leaf Rollers are a large problem elsewhere. They're not around yet Blossom. They don't show up until our hot/humid/rainy season begins in May. Here's a link to info on the "leaf roller" http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/f&b_11.htm

I've seen enough of them Blossom and can immediately identify the damage. You see folds and chewing damage begin along the outer edges of the foliage. At that time I cut off and throw out that leaf and spray the rest of the foliage. As long as you keep an eye on your foliage, and treat the foliage if you see the damage, they are very easy to get rid of.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8396938

We dont have leaf rollers here in ontario canada zone 6a, or at least ive never had one.. I have had quite a problem this year with slugs though. slugs just like rollers will chew holes in the leaves, I had to get slug bait and after 3 tries that finally worked..

I'm not sure how far south before the leaf rollers start, but i'm sure this summer i'll get my share (moving to Alabama) I'm sure there are many bugs and pests i will have to learn to deal with.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8397179

A friend that gave me some banana trees said to watch for that on the banana leaves. I expect it is the same bug or at least the same type. She said it looked like a little zipper along the leaves.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8397339

Jon, I think that field was in of all places Oklahoma! Ha! Where the winds come racing across the grand prairie! Can you imagine the wind issues! Beautiful site though.

Up here we have a daylily farm that is pretty awesome when the colors start.

Dont know what organically controls their pests.. perhaps soembody eats those pillers eggs... but who?

I dont get issues with bugs in the daylily patches on my place.. we got lots of frogs that eat a lot of bugs.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 28, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8397835

Jen is sending me some banana canna seeds. Thanks, Jen.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8397941

Probably is the same caterpillar Crit. That's a good way your friend describes the damage. The caterpillars have a large appetite and they grow in size very quickly. You can just remove the damaged foliage leaves and not treat them with pesticide. The problem is you'll be removing more foliage from new leaf rollers in a couple of days.

I'm sure there are plenty of summer bugs to deal with in Alabama. There are no pest problems here during the fall and winter. The first pest to arrive each year is a bloom chewing beetle in late Feb. They've arrived in the past week and here are a couple today on the "Sonata White" and "Sonata Pink Shades" Cosmos. They're particularly fond of Cosmos and the center seed heads on Sunflowers. They're a pain in the neck because they're more interested in the blooms and not the foliage. The beetles magically disappear every year at the end of April.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8397956

Trust me by next fall you will have more then enough seeds you wont know what to do with them. I was lucky enough, I have found a good home for all mine, except the few I will keep just in case my rhizomes don't make it through the winter. I always start a few seeds even if they make it, cause you never know what you will get.. All my seeds i've planted look like the banana mother, so no surprises yet. All my seeds are pollinated by the wonderful bugs, and i have them all mixed around usually only about 6 stocks per kind. So if they wanted to mix they could.. I wanted to try to pollinate them myself this past summer, but I had a baby in Aug, so last years growing season i was pretty much doing as little as possible. Now this year i said i would try since i couldn't last year. Now were moving sometime in july, and i dont know if i will get them to flower in time, if at all.. So this might be a dream to one day try.. Life always seems to get in the way..
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8397971

Amore is it only cosmos and sunflowers or are they attracted to any flower?? I don't have either in my garden collection, Had cosmos a last year and the year before but didn't keep the seeds this year, there a nice flower just not my style. Sunflowers planted them once and i hated them, mostly cause the squirrels just ate the tops before i could see them get big.. I'm mostly into tropics (cannas, elephant ears, Hardy hibiscus', brugmansia, grasses, and castor beans.) thats about all i have that i really lov. I planted the false banana Ensete Ventricosum from seed this past january and i have 7 that came up, there about a foot high, but sadle by the time we go i will have to leave them behind. I was thinking about getting more seeds when we get settled, but i will just get a few bajoo plants instead since they can stay outside year round.. I'm getting a bit tired of digging all my stuff out for winter storage and if i can substituted it for something that can stay in the ground, thats what i'm gonna do. My elephant ear collection will keep me busy enough when winter comes. Plus with a little one running around and plans for more, time isn't something i have much of anymore.
jen
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8398047

Awe man, I ve never had trouble with bugs onthe sunflowers.. tried groing cosmos which I dearly love and never saw any on them either but neither did I have a large colony of them.. of course our bug season woudl be later due to a different zone Jon.. but I guess I ought to watch for them... owell.. if they come they come...we will deal with it if it happens.

We have grubs running rampant in the lawns... oddly they seem worse than last year and we did use Milky Spore on them, but with the wet here I can see why maybe the spore did not work.. does anyone think the grubs would be an issue onthe canna?

I dont reckon the grubs would be an issue in containers unless I use garden soil in my containers.. occassionally a grub will go in with the manure but Im still game to try a bunch of cannas in cans... Id like to use them for a privy fence to hide an eyesore down that 150 foot garden on my lane.. so wayward home for excess cannas here! If I end up tossing them, so be it, but it would be a pretty site if I could do it. Got enough cans for it.. but thats were its at!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8398176

Put a note up on the seed forum that you want all wayward cannas and you can get all you want. Lots of people save the seed and many will share tubers. I just got started but when I get some, I'll be glad to share. Cam
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8398315

This yard is full of many different flowers Jen, but the only other flower they sometimes go after are the centers of Echinacea. I wouldn't get too concerned about it Blossom. Many of the pests here would be completely different to what you would have in the summer there. Completely different climates. If you've never had problems with Canna Leaf Rollers, you probably will continue to have no issues. I do Sunflowers in the summer because flower choices are much more limited here during that time. No pest problems with them if they bloom later than April unless you don't remove the spent stalks. They attract wild green parrots and they'll land on all your Sunflowers and snap some flower stalks that haven't bloomed yet.

Only tropical plant I have lots of are the multicolored hybrid hibiscus. Do have many different subtropical things. Those will be the plants you had to dig up in the fall, but will be able to leave them in the ground in Alabama Jen.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8398780

steadcam, thanks for the referal! Looks like I will be posting pics as I build the canna wall. Anyone with waywards are welcome to dmail me too.. !

Jon, my green parrots here are dirty city pigeons.. ugh! Trade ya! LOL! Man the filth from those birds, but you have got to understand the eyesore that attracts them! Why they have flocked from the city to the country only he almighty knows. I wish and pray those pesky filthy feathered rats would leave! Some are already via the jaws of the stray cats here.. Im not sure which is worse though, stray cats tanglign with the birds adnplease you felines keep away from my chickens or the feathers and whitewash bombs these beaks lay! And they can take their sparrow friends with them.. how such a little bird has to build a condominium of every grass off the prairie is beyond me, but they do.. then they gotta build them in doorways and places that always make a nest in your hair.

Well anyway Jon, the one bird Im excited that has returned our the cranes, I swear I hear one yesterday, now to look for them! I am excited on that for sure! Perhaps its the pair that nested last year.. we will never know, but one thing is is the specie came home! Yeah!

Ok, back to cannas... pink, yellow and... hmmm looking forward to seeing those pop!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8398949

Yes, lime green colored noisy parrots. They usually fly pretty high so it's hard to get a good look at them. My parents in NY State always have problems with robins banging into their sliding glass doors in the spring. They must be mating and they see their shadows in the window.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8399171

Blossom, anyway you can figure out how to collect the pidgeon droppings by building them a place to roost? Make 'em pay their own way!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8401304

Jon, robins are clean birds.. they dont accumulate dung like a pigeon. Pigeons seem to be a rooster and do it in one spot chronically...but it is still a wild bird and can pass junk to the domestics like bird flu etc. I know people who raise pigeons, but most SANE people who raise any animal usually cleans up after them.

Steady, guess we could just put a statue up.. but I think the people owning the attractant stand still long enough, thats why they got pigeons and poo.
I would not want wild bird dung in large quanities spread in my garden.. bad enough I get splatted on enough by the harbor house of flying rats nextdoor. Its sick..

I have plenty of chicken doo... and that doo I use very sparingly as it will kill the grass if you do to much.. I will make tea out of it...use it on my veggies and annuals and manthats better than superthirve! Last year my marigolds got almost 5 foot tall.

Meanwhile back at the canna patch.. man those pots I got indoors are taking off too fast.. !Spring better come and quick please!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8401379

Those Cannas can't be fooled Blossom. Their internal clock is telling them its spring and time to start growing like rockets. The Cannas here grow very slowly, and are shorter in general, during the short days of winter. It's about now when they kick into high gear. I think they know the daylight hours are getting longer whether they're inside or outside.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8401457

I have all mine here in a rubbermaid bin (ok a few bins lol) they get no light at all, yet still in about 2 weeks they will start growing. Last year I had my red striped cannas in a garbage bin, and come may when I wanted to plant them, I went into the bin to find 3 foot cannas that were almost white. I cut all them back down to root as this plant should be so dark it's purple, I knew it would just burn in the light. They were growing in circles not stright. It's just funny how they know what to do no matter the situation
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8401900

LOL!! Oh yes, when the clock ticks, its not nice to fool with Mother Nature! Mine are almost a foot tall.. Gonna have to be moved by weeks end.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8410547

Update on the canas in my cans under lights.. mind you, not from seed, but one of last years tuber...im pretty sure its the yellow and red flowered one...time will tell.

The other two I have growing are lagging behind.. this one is leafing nicely...

amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 6, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8411071

Looks super great, happy and healthy Blossom. You think that one is "Cleopatra"?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8411129

When i move Cleopatra is the first one i'm getting, i have wanted it for years..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8411872

Im pretty sure its Cleopatra, it was the biggest one... Ima thinking I may have made a mistake in not dividign her before letting her grow.. same with my other two. The other two I think I might still be able to divide...thay are not as leafed... I probably should do Cleo while she is still this small? Do you think I should? Or could without hurting
her?...them?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8411878

heres on from last year...

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8411928

from what i've read you can divide anytime, spring and fall are thte best since they are just starting or totally ready to be cut off. As longs there still small i think you can do it and save them, just take off the dirt carefully and be very careful not to damage the stocks. there pretty strong I think from the pic if there still small like that you'll be ok
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8411980

If it's got quite a bit of room in the container you could always wait until the fall. I don't think I'd divide unless the container is pretty full.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 7, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8412149

I have my first shoot on an ?Erebus?---thank you smurf!

Somewhere someone said they microwave the seeds so I tried this---3 seconds in the MW.
Three out of ten seeds sprouted within 3 days. This was a commercial package,
and I had wondered because they did not swell on soaking--all that much.

I have them all under lights, and up high in the basement where it is very warm.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8412216

erebus is a very pretty canna with pink flowers.. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37151/

really wow i wonder what the microwave does to them maybe cracks the shell??
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8412217

Not too long in the microwave. I did that once and had a bowl of "Canna Corn"...with melted butter of course.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8412275

ROTFL!!!!!

Canna-corn! YOWSER!

Designer meal!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 7, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8412532

Microwaving apparently works for seeds with a little water in them.
It would not work for carrot seeds-------at least from what I have read.

I really look forward to the Erebus flowers---it sounds very neat.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8412685

My Erebus seeded like crazy so get a jar ready lol
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8412748

Erebus.. now is that a canna?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8412929

yep heres the link for pics http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37151/
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8412936

heres a pic of mine

Thumbnail by smurf428

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 8, 2011
2:00 AM

Post #8413740

I am looking forward to that plant and its flowers.
It is a water plant?---so I'll need to keep that in mind when I plant it out.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2011 10:33 AM
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 8, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8413834

I will be starting another batch of seeds later today, including Banana Canna. Thanks, Jen. I have about a dozen plants from my January planting. Most of these are Indian shot. I had poor germination on the other varieties. I sorted thought the soil and found seeds that were still hard, so I nicked them more and replanted three days ago.

Twenty inches of snow fell Sunday night.

Grayson
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8413892

Nice pic!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8413937

Having grown up in Ithaca, NY, I can relate to/remember the March snowstorms gary. Just when you think you're getting close to spring its a couple steps backwards. Mom & dad said they only got 14 inches of snow in Ithaca Sunday night. Hopefully it will melt fast.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8413970

CLS I planted mine alone with the rest of mine just in my garden, canna over all need alot of water, so I just watered them all once a day during the warm months. Erebus did just fine, yes from what I read they can go in bog gardens and ponds, but I just don't have them
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 8, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8414420

I don't have a water feature either ,but maybe a pot in a basin of water would work.
Or water every day as you did.
Caroline
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8414979

Got a bog, but im not going that far!...

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8415900

I made a 'water bog' out of a 5 gallon crock. I put water iris in it, and am going to put my Erebus in it too. I am starting some jewel weed from seed that I am going to add to it. I think that will be pretty.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 9, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8415911

I made my bog (about 4ft diameter) for my ligularia by digging a hole, lining it with heavy plastic sheeting, and then backfilling. I guess you could bury about anything that would hold water. Anyone want to excavate for an old refrigerator?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8415993

Well, that bog is a million years old...! all natural.. !

Im gonna keep my cannas and other domestics out of there.. its a protected area and we dont need "foreign" plants in there.

LOL! that will be a job, digging to plant a fridge for a bog, but that is a great way to recycle.. only problem is wont the thing rust? Would you line it with rubber anyway?
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 9, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8416054

I wouldn't bother if I thought it would rust out - just dig a big hole and line it.
Has your bog been invaded by purple loosestrife yet?

Grayson
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8416100

no.. but we are starting in with an issue of cattails. I keep trying to get the state to rid their half of them.. but they are slow in doing so. I dont have them on my half and do not want them. They need to rid themsleves of trees too. Its a sand prairie bog so it is rather shallow on the water surface.. this year its waaay down inthe water table so we really need rain. Every year the veggitation there is different.. and rare flowers occur so thats why its protcted
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 9, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8416424

any native orchids?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8416656

No.. the vegitation here is real weird. There is not much of anything back there that transplants well and if it seeds, it grows inthe poorest of soil if it grows at all.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 9, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8417067

I now have four sprouted Erebus, but none of the other varieties have sprouted?
I think that I treated them all about the same.
Is this where I just need to be patient?
I have the urge to dig up some of the seeds,but I see you did that after about two months.
Is it the case perhaps that Erebus is an easier germinator and others are longer?
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8417324

I know when I planted mine they all came up at different rates. I'm not 100% sure but I think they can take around 2 weeks for some. If you soaked them and the seed swelled, just wait a bit longer.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 10, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8418005

Aah! Patience!
Will try that!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8418422

...patience..

Patience?

PATIENCE?????

whats that?

Had snow again this AM.. just a sciff to make all white.. its gone now.. whew. ...

Panic attack over. LOL
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8420875

Where I live we got 2" of snow, thankfully we took a long drive to Alabama yesterday and will be here till Monday, beautiful place!!!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 16, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8430191

Erebus sprouts two weeks after seeding.

Thumbnail by CLScott

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8430762

nICE
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8431588

Looking good
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8433030

I am sooooo mad at myself. I had planted a bunch of canna seeds in peat pots and put them on a 2nd shelf near the window, but kind of obscured when you walk out there. Well, I let them dry out ... I hope I didn't kill the seed. ~sigh~ I watered them good, and am making sure there is plenty of water for the pots to soak up and praying they survive. What a ditz!

Good afternoon all. It is soooo nice here! 80* and sunny. But boy is it WINDY! Suppose to be this nice for the next week. Chances of storms too though. Can use the rain but hate our spring time storms.

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 17, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8433045

We have all done that at some time or other , with some seeds or plants.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8433217

Crit I plant mine out doors right in the ground in the spring, I'm sure my soil drys out a bit too. I think you will be ok, cannas are pretty easy plants, from what i've seen anyways they arent as picky as i've read.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 17, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8433288

Banana Canna is starting to germinate after just over a week. I have seeds from two other varieties to start this weekend. The ones I started in January look okay, but not great. I lost a couple of them.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8433503

Banana cannas are my favorite I just love the leaves there HUGE
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8435095

My banana canna's are one of the ones that dried out.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8435583

Let me know if they done make it I might be able to get you a piece of my root
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8436078

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, THANK YOU smurf!!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8445929

Well, yesterday was my lucky day.. got DIRTYGIRLS cannas in and potted.

Looks liek we will be builden part of that wall to hide the hideous mess on the fence.
Heres made a good dent inthe population of plants that I will need!
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 23, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8446508

My first canna seed planting from January looks really bad. Some plants have shriveled up. and others look weak. The banana cannas I started recently look great.

I better check the rhizomes in storage again this month.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8446844

well dang.. got some snow falling.. the newbs I got in are outside potted.. this does not look good.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8447017

Send them down here Blossom. We'll keep them warm.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8447182

Got a flat bed? They are in #1500 cans.. be 26 outside... well anyways the snow stopped. Turn the heat up someone! 50ish would be just grand!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8447331

Blossom out side already?? i dont put mine out till the end of may. If they freeze there goners. and if the leaves get frost they turn brown.. Amore sending you some hot temps..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8447337

I messed up.. hopefully they did not frees.. there was not any ice, but had a little snow flurring about, but it quit.

Sun is out but it is not exactly warm. But glove-less.. Id like to say its warm inthe house, but its not. Had to turn a spaceheater on.. got baby chicks startign to hatch.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8447910

I'd gladly send you some of this heat. It was 88 today which is WAY too warm for March. At least our summer humidity has not set in yet. It's bone dry in the air and in the ground. They're saying its the driest Oct-March in 80 years.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8448023

well its gonna be 30's here all week so send me some for sure...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8448320

Oh yes, 88 would be way too war here for March and we are already in a drought.

Least the reserection lilies are doing well! Reallly leafy. Hope when the lilies bloom they do well. I tried growing them in the ground to no avail and have them in the pots that the marigolds were in last year and guess they really liked the manure!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8448516

Very dry conditions here as well, and numerous grass fires taking a lot of acreage. Haven't heard of any homes, but some of the firest were way too close! One was surrounding a homes large propane tank, and I just held my breath when I saw that. Luckily the grass was short and they were spraying it out.
Was in the 80's last week, but has dropped off for a few days. Will be 70 tomorrow with a chance of rain a few times this week. We need it so badly!
Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow afternoon however. Taking the DGD's (4&6) to the Zoo! Yeee haw :-)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8448877

We get leaf burners this time of year.. like peopl just cant leave the leaves alone or mulch them? Id take them all if they would deliver!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8449400

most people around me bundle them all up in yard waste bags and the city takes them. I'm glad that around here its against the law to have a fire in your yard, unless its covered by a grill and a lid near by.. So many rule go along with it also.. But on the up side no burning leaf smell..
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8450168

Well, im in the country so we have atendency to burn things..but try to avoid the neighbs toys.. unlike som neighbs who like to toss a firecracker our way onroof tops and in pastures with livestock.. got some real ya-hoos out here now and again.

But anyway, back to cannas! My three in teh house are huge. I cannot beleive how big.. I moved them out from the lights.. to bad its too cold outdoors yet.. I guess they are a tad early.. jkust hope those ones I do have in pots out there survive.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8450622

Those poor poor Cannas all alone outside in the cold. They thought it was time to grow grow grow... and the next thing ya know they're out in the snow snow snow. Wrap a sweater around them.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8450948

Start knittin! Gonna be 30ish to 40s.. ugh.

Then the other news.. go to the Garage an read the postal bulliten.. Jesh!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8451131

Ya it's the same here all week! It's days like these I can't wait to move to Alabama where this week it's in the 70's. I'm sure come summer when it's like 110 I might miss Canada lol
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8451308

LOL! Well.. maybe you could be like the rich and famous and have a winter and summer home?

Its sunny here, but got ice onthe buckets in the barn.

My cannas in the house are find, but I think the ones outside might be toast.. Oh I am a bad wpman thinking I could plant them.. but then I am new to cannas.. so I guess this willbe a bic lesson if none survive.

meanwhile, back at the garage...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1162244/

Id like to stuff the postoffice in a box. ugh!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8451360

No no there won't be a summer home anytime in my future lol. I would be fine if I just had a pool.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8451538

LOL!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8473748

Heres a link i came across
http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/growing-canna-from-seed.html

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8474228

neat site smurf!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8475995

smurf... you can come to my house. We have a pool and just got a new hot tub!!!! wooohoooo
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8476732

lal Crit... thanks it might be a far drive just for a swim. I'm leaving a 20x40 inground pool thats in my backyard behind to go to scorching temps :)
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8476986

You're definitely heading to a hot summer in the Deep South. The humidity is what takes some time getting used to. You spend short periods of time outside, go inside to cool off and then back out for a bit longer.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8477014

Ya our humidity is the same here and we get mostly into the 90's however we get the odd 100's so i know what i'm heading to, it will just be for longer periods.. Here however when it get really hot we have smog advisories cause the smog gets really bad.. its like a fog cloud over head. WOW i cant wait to get away from that, sure my lungs will thank me in no time.. I'm looking forward to a "whole new world" lol...
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8477216

Not quite the same. I've had some visits to Toronto on super hot days in the past few summers. Yes, its humid and the "humidex" (Canadian terminology) can be quite high. Trust me, its not the same as the Deep South.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8477773

err great... lol no really i'm excited for the change as well and challange. Gardening will be a whole new experience since everything even down to the soil is different
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8478087

Soil will probably be different, but have no idea what kind of soil it will be . I'm sure it varies within the state. Most of the soil is very sandy in Ft Lauderdale, for obvious reasons. I'm 12 miles inland. This area was the eastern edge of the Florida Everglades a couple decades ago. The top part of the soil is fairly rich. I don't hit all sand until about a foot below ground. Much easier to work with this soil.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8479026

its red clay there. from what i hear its a bit tricky to grow some plants
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8479205

I think of Alabama when I hear red clay soil mentioned. Been up there before in the hills outside of Birmingham. Had no idea there will hills in Alabama. Thought it was a real nice place.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8479323

Ya were moving 45 min north of birmingham. The dirt there is like this weird rust color, should be interesting to learn all about gardening there...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8481886

Aw smurf ... your pool sounds exactly like mine. We just moved here in Dec. '09 and already don't know what I would do without it!

We have the red clay brick soil here too. It is pretty yucky stuff. I'm going to amend it this spring in a large bed in front of the house with some garden soil and try to mix it in. Once the plants are in the ground, it is hard for them to extend their roots very far.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8482160

I got poor "yeller" sand!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8483176

i heard (weather its true or not) that cannas grow good in the clay soil. But i guess its just something to get me through the 2 months of no hubby.. plenty of time to research the soil, and what to do..
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8483248

Mine did not do well at all in clay soil last year, of course, I think they were in too much shade too.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8483302

Well, the new indoor cannas I got are doign fine.. Im tempted to test dig a few that I planted possibly too early to see if any are surviving.. it got plenty cold after I planted them.. I pray I did not mess them up.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8483390

canna's can take the odd freezing, i would dig them up and take any black or mushy parts off, hopefully if they were big enough you will have some good part left. You might luck out and the ground didn't freeze and they then would be ok. Although they are hardy to places that freeze its just the freeze, unfreeze, then freeze again that hurts them where we live.. I would dig them up to check them, you can always plant them again..

CRIT do you have elephant ears?? if so how do those do in the clay??
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8483517

I do have elephant ears. I only had 1 planted in the clay, and it too was in the partial shade garden. It did 'ok' ... not really sure it was all the way up to par on what it should of been.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8483699

Well i can deal with ok.. I just want it to grow.. I dont mind adding the odd soil mixture to plants if need be. I just dont want to do it if that plant will grow fine without, no need to waste money. I will probably plant my ears in pots in the ground anyways. Thats what i do here and find it easier to bring them in for winter that way. Since i believe there i will have to do the same with my ears, however for a shorter time. I might let them grow in the house for a few months instead of letting them go dormant. I have kept my upright alive all winter, the leaves are getting smaller and smaller as the weeks go by, but still growing strong. I'll have to chop it for spring or they will all just burn. I find here ears grow better in full sun, but not sure about down there as the sun is stronger. I know they say there a shade plant, and if i dont keep them well watered they tend to burn. But enough about ears this is a canna forum lol.

have planted cannas in shade and they only grow th half the height as the ones in the sun, and hardly flower if at all.. I'm sad that i'm pretty much loosing this growning season, but excited about all to come
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8483842

I dug a canna out of the pots I had out doors and the root was showing growth so YEAH! Maybe all 26 survived? Dont know until the fat canna sprouts! LOL!

Im just wondernig how soon I can move the indoor ones out doors... I woudl think the leaves on them would take a frosty hit since they are over a foot tall. I think I will try to be patient and leave them inside for a few weeks yet.
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8484448

A light frost they might be ok, but in the fall once a frost hits the leaves turn brown and by the second frost there all brown. This is when you need to get them out of the ground, but in spring i dont know how it would work.. I plant mine outside alone with my seeds. When ever its safe for seeds, your roots will be just fine to.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 19, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8505956

Smurf: the Banana Canna seeds you sent have sprouted!
I can not plant them out until end of May/begin June, but they are coming along.
Thank you!

How do I know whether a canna is a Water Canna or not? Or are all cannas water plants?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8506149

Good question! Perhaps it is answered in plant files??
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8506664

CLS thats great!!! I will miss them this year as i wont be planting much this season with the move.. It really is my favorite canna for leaves.

I know there are some that are considered "AQUATIC CANNAS" however i have heard of people placing just random cannas in a pot with dirt then in a pond and they do fine.. Cannas need lots of water and are suited for high moisture areas, i would think all can be placed in a pot then in water.. I also on the other hand have aquatic cannas and they grow right beside my other cannas in just pain soil, and i dont water them anymore then the others and they do well there too.. Then again i'm in canada so its not overly hot/dry as it would be in say florida.. From my experiences with gardening i have found just try anything you think is possible, worst case is the plant dies.. If you have a few roots or a few seeds of one kind, try one in the water and the rest in soil.. If it works and they do great, then you have options for next year..
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 19, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8507584

Good plan---to try different things with those I have several.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America