-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8325820

I found 12 of these cobalt blue glasses. One had a sticker on the bottom in my aunt's handwriting with the name of the glasses. I tried to find them on e-Bay, but there's very little blue depression glass listed. I found one site ( TSIA?) that had a tumbler that looked like mine, but it said it was 41/2" tall, mine are 5" from top to bottom. I'm sure these aren't reproductions because she had them boxed up and stored for so long. The discrepancy in size bothered me, tho. Could there be a different way of measuring?

Since there's 12 of them and they're in perfect condition, I don't think I'll use them for morning juice now (they cleaned up great in the dishwasher,however)!

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

January 23, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8325999

If your aunt marked these as New Century - Lydia Ray, then she has had them for a long time. Lydia Ray was an incorrect name used for this pattern, at least before the early 70's when the correct factory name for this pattern was found.
Factory sizes and ounces are frequently not the same as actual. New Century only had 3 flat tumbles in cobalt. 3 1/2", 5 oz, 4 1/4", 9 oz and 5 1/4", 12 oz.
I wouldn't put them in a dishwasher too often tho. We hand wash our DG.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8326063

Thanks for quick response! Are you saying New Century is the correct name? I only put them in the dishwasher because they were so sturdy. Never thought they could be depression glass until yesterday when I decided to try to go to the Internet to find info on her tag.
I have some clear ones that we use all the time and have gone into the dishwasher for 15 years. I hope they're not DG too...never saw a label on them. They've been abused...

Appreciate your information. Sandi

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8326097

Well I typed in New Century without Lydia Ray, and came up with quite a few references! And I'm now very very sorry I stuck 'em in the dishwasher... Thanks again...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8367179

Sandy, have been absent from this forum for sometime. I am amazed that you are still finding treasures from your aunt. One of you must have a warehouse someplace. The glasses are beautiful.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8367294

Good to see you posting again Christi!

No warehouse, just taking all the stuff we'd stored at the lake... home again. We're planning to knock down the bunkhouse up there. I had lots of boxes stored in it... The blue glasses were in the china cabinet in the house. I was afraid they'd wind up on the boat...or worse, so I brought them home when I wrapped all the Blue Willow and brought it back here.
Our subdivision has a garage sale every year at the end of March. I hope to have some things ready to sell this year. The sale always is the same weekend as the Zilker Botanical Garden Festival. I volunteer for the festival with my garden club, so miss the garage sale.
The worse part of going thru the stuff is stopping to read the cards, or looking thru the old costume jewelry...(not old,, just junk, but I wonder who wore it and where). I found some West Point dance cards with the little pencils attached. There just has to be a story behind those!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8368304

That is one of my down-falls, too. Keep way too many things because of the story I have in my head. One collection I am considering selling is "Wedding Cake Toppers". Must have 200 by now, including the one from my cake which will be 50 years old this June. Amazing how many of them wind up at garage sales. I only care for the vintage of 50 years ago and earlier. Know anyone that would be interested?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8368618

I remember you posted those once. Why don't you re-post some of them and see if anyone knows where to list them for sale..other than e-bay or Craigslist. Possibly a place to consign them? I bet there's someone who also collects them!
My aunt must have bought up every old hand crank ice cream freezer she came across. I did find one that had been painted and used to store magazines, so I guess there was "a method to her madness." She had a plan, just didn't get to execute it.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8368800

I have a mac laptop and cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload the pictures from iPHoto.

I'm not exactly dumb but can't seem to find the right button on this program.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8368867

Well, I'm no help. I have aHP laptop and no photos on it! they're only on the big computer. But...if you go to the computer forum, I guarantee someone will jump in and walk you thru it. I've had a problem with getting out a newsletter and got help there. Also, some of your photos are on this forum. You should be able to find them by looking thru your "posts that LouC made."
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8369095

thank you

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America