Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: APS starter trays outside? (50 - 60 degrees)

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gilraen
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8325854

I have a couple of trays of APS Seed Starter System from Gerdener's Supply. (the kind with the reservoir at the bottom, water wicking mat, and tray for seedlings on it, with cover.

Can I put the seeds in and immediately put them outside in cool weather? The reason I'm trying this is I want to avoid the hardening off period, since I'm away from home 5 days a week, 12-13 hours a day.

The seeds are lettuce and spinach, and right now its 59 degrees outside.

Do you think it will work?
trc65
Galesburg, IL

January 23, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8325866

You should be able to do that with spinach and lettuce with no problems - as long as the trays are not in the sun at all. With the clear plastic covers, even a little bit of sun will raise the temps to a very high level and fry anything you have in them.

I don't know what your eventual plans are, but if temps are in the 50-60 degree range, why not just plant them in the ground?
gilraen
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8326183

Thank you for replying. I don't know. This is only my second season of gardening, so I'm learning as fast as I can. Sometimes our nights are still getting down in the low forties and high thirties. Is it still okay to plant them directly? I thought it needed to be a bit warmer before I planted them... In a few weeks I'll have my raised bed in place. They were going to go there. But I have a few containers I could use.
trc65
Galesburg, IL

January 23, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8326265

If you are still getting down into the thirties, it is probably too cool to plant them outside. Do you know your soil temps? I plan all my outside plantings on the soil temp in my area. If you do some looking on the web, you should be able to find a link to a University web site that monitors soil temps throughout your state. (Most State Universities run a network of weather stations at their research centers). I'm not that familiar with Texas obviously, but I don't grow any transplants for spinach or lettuce. I just seed them outside when soil temps reach about 45 degrees at the 4 inch level. Hopefully others will chime in here on local practices in your area. You might just want to wait and seed directly into the beds when you have them finished.
gilraen
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8326278

All right. Thank you, trc. I'll bring them in this evening. Maybe I'll put them out for a few hours in the evenings, just to help a bit.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America